Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• HatPoweredSpyCrab
    Offline / Send Message
    HatPoweredSpyCrab polycounter lvl 10
    shine the pimp bro, i am liking it a lot, sorry for this question but, did u hand painted that? can i see the texturE? :P
  • darkartsofneko
    I've been working on an enchantress set, almost done with the high poly model.
    Critique?

7_zpsda1ddd26.png
  • Taz
    Hey Everybody!
    I'm going to try and be a bit more active here, I'll start with this, a highpoly blockout of a SkyWrath Staff.

skywrath3.JPG
  • HatPoweredSpyCrab
    Offline / Send Message
    @taz I think hard edges could improve your model deastically
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    I've been working on an enchantress set, almost done with the high poly model.
    Critique?

7_zpsda1ddd26.png

Can you make the model 100% black on a light grey background? Then you will be able to see how the silhouette works and what you can do to make it pop especially from top down angles :)
  • Prophet9
    Offline / Send Message
    Prophet9 polycounter lvl 9
    Hey all... is there a known problem with updating a preview image after-the-fact? I'm attempting to unify my submissions and the preview images - went into DOTA 2 to modify my submission, and re-uploaded the image. It shows in the preview window in the edit screen, but when I view the item online, or in Steam, it is the old one...

Any advice?
  • Zaphk
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaphk polycounter lvl 7
    Hat finished!
    Tusk is adorable ^^
    sZPY9Ij.jpg
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    Zaphk wrote: »
    Hat finished!
    Tusk is adorable ^^
    sZPY9Ij.jpg
    I love how clean it is! Do you guys do fur with the move tool or something like that?

Also, some good news!
    Vladimir >the implyer: So willthe Chinese doto get the same store with our contributed items? Will it be cut down to non-skull items?
    GreenMarine: same stuff. skull items will probably get alternate appearances or not sell there
  • HntrLuc
    Offline / Send Message
    HntrLuc polycounter lvl 18
    dry & chemical alia - nice work on your mirana set!

pixelherder - courier is coming along great!

zaphk - tusk items are awesome so far! i want to do some tusk stuff too

I was working on a head piece for skywrath until i realized the new heroes aren't in the importer yet. Still wip, hoping they update soon so I can test some things in game.
    skywrath_head_wip.jpg
  • Taz
    HatPoweredSpyCrab - Thanks for the Advice mate :)

Zaphk - you are right, Tusk is adorable in that Hat. good work :)

HntrLuc - That's one sweet head piece!

Bit of an update.

skywrath6.JPG
  • Paskie
    I love how clean it is! Do you guys do fur with the move tool or something like that?

Also, some good news!

Brb doing some more asianthemed items ;)
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    Vladimir >the implyer: So willthe Chinese doto get the same store with our contributed items? Will it be cut down to non-skull items?
    GreenMarine: same stuff. skull items will probably get alternate appearances or not sell there

that is really nice

do you guys know when they will have access to the store?
  • Zaphk
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaphk polycounter lvl 7
    vlad_the_implyer: Thank you! =] I use move and slide to define, then slash3 or dam standard for the details.

HntrLuc: Thanks! Wow this head piece is awesome! Can't wait to see your take on Tusk ^^

Taz: Thanks! Ohh I like your design!
  • BrontoThunder
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    So our audience just increased by roughly a billion? Neat.
  • BenHenry
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
    Haha, rock on!
    Loving the set Dry and Chemical.
    Zaphk, that hood looks amazing. Clean and purty.
  • Nikey
    Offline / Send Message
    Nikey polycounter lvl 10
    Sword is finished. tell me please, what do you think about "Kamplian of Long Sword"? =)
    268x268.resizedimage
  • vertical
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical polycounter lvl 9
    Hey guys, once I'm done with exams, I would like to do a courier, might someone be cool to share their process in doing a courier? I understand the whole basic item workflow, but I'm still in the dark with animations, etc. :)
  • Paskie
    I have been listening to great band from sweden called Ghost and it got me inspired to a sketch on a zombie queen conecpt. Thought Death Prophet could be a good hero for that.
    Don't know which i want to continue to making concepts on, what do you think?
    Obviously it will need some more work on it.
    0d2oqzW.jpg
  • DashXero
    Offline / Send Message
    DashXero polycounter lvl 11
    The far right seems the most queenly. I like it. The middle would be an appropriate direction if you wanted to go in a "death jester" direction with the character. The one on the left... Eh. Compared to the other two, it's kind of unremarkable.
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    Paskie wrote: »
    I have been listening to great band from sweden called Ghost and it got me inspired to a sketch on a zombie queen conecpt. Thought Death Prophet could be a good hero for that.
    Don't know which i want to continue to making concepts on, what do you think?
    Obviously it will need some more work on it.
    0d2oqzW.jpg
    Keep in mind that her dress is actually two pieces, so you'll want to think outthe way they connect with each other and the rest of the cosmetics
  • Drywall
    Is anyone else getting a weird glitch with the workshop over the past two days? Every time I go to the workshop by mousing over the "community" tab and clicking workshop in steam, it's taking forever, or just white-screening on me. I can get to my items by going through my profile, and once I'm in the workshop, I can look at things, but the main workshop page is messed up for me.
  • Frump
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Drywall wrote: »
    Is anyone else getting a weird glitch with the workshop over the past two days? Every time I go to the workshop by mousing over the "community" tab and clicking workshop in steam, it's taking forever, or just white-screening on me. I can get to my items by going through my profile, and once I'm in the workshop, I can look at things, but the main workshop page is messed up for me.

Yeah I've been having that problem a lot lately. It's been slow since forever going through the steam client though. The web version is super snappy and normal.

Also, it's great to hear that the Chinese will be able to buy cosmetics, that's something I was wondering about.
  • Lennyagony
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    Drywall wrote: »

Same problem here, able to access the workshop through my profile but results in a white page from the community tab, and like frump web version is normal.

Nice to know its not just me running into this :)
  • DashXero
    Offline / Send Message
    Made more rat progress... Trying to nail down a flying method. Sculpted a few quick variants.

RatCourierWIP02a.jpg
    Cheese-Chaser Variant
    Pros: potential for interesting animation, I find it hilarious, simple to rig.
    Cons: Others may not find it as funny as I do.

RatCourierWIP02b.jpg
    Jet Pack Variant
    Pros: Super easy to rig and animate, I like the alliteration of "Rocket Rat"
    Cons: Animations may not be as funny/interesting as other variants... Except for death. That could be hilarious.

RatCourierWIP02c.jpg
    Rat-icopter Variant
    Pros: Easy to rig and animate, potential for fun animations considering that the hands are free
    Cons: May be too similar to an enemy in the upcoming Shovel Knight game.

RatCourierWIP02d.jpg
    Winged Rat Variant
    This is fucking stupid.

RatCourierWIP02e.jpg
    Mecha-Winged Rat Variant
    Pros: Rat's hands are free creating potential for interesting animations, especially secondary motion; It almost seems like Valve prefers wings for couriers
    Cons: Probably not as easy to rig and animate as everything else

Any other thoughts? Things to consider?
  • BrontoThunder
    Offline / Send Message
    Wings! You could make a pigeon-rat!
    tumblr_ljrq14r2J21qbbmr1o1_400.jpg
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    Ratbird!
    tumblr_m08dpu1tey1qc42hdo1_500.gif
    (Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs - watch it, it's awesome :3 )

I like the jetpack and the mechanical wings, though the latter may be a bit too detail heavy to read ingame in its current version. Keep it up, looking fantastic!
  • HatPoweredSpyCrab
    Offline / Send Message
    ^ jejeje Wings or Jetfuckingpack
  • BenHenry
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
  • HatPoweredSpyCrab
  • Rubus
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
    I for one liked the cheese idea better.

I'd love to see the flying version using a malfunctioning jetpack, so the rat keeps trying to get the cheese when the jetpack makes him bounce in the air.

This have so much promise in it, great work so far, Dash.
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Hey guys, I'm currently optimizing and baking my set and I was wondering how hard are these poly limits? I know in general, limits are more or less just guidelines but how stingy is Valve with items that lightly exceed these limits?
  • BrontoThunder
    Offline / Send Message
    It literally won't import if it's one triangle over.
  • Rubus
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
    If you exceed the limit by one polygon you can't even upload it :P
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    It literally won't import if it's one triangle over.

Whoa. Thanks for the info
  • ike_ike
    Offline / Send Message
    ike_ike polycounter lvl 12
    DashXero wrote: »
    Made more rat progress... Trying to nail down a flying method. Sculpted a few quick variants.

Cheese-Chaser Variant
    Pros: potential for interesting animation, I find it hilarious, simple to rig.
    Cons: Others may not find it as funny as I do.

Jet Pack Variant
    Pros: Super easy to rig and animate, I like the alliteration of "Rocket Rat"
    Cons: Animations may not be as funny/interesting as other variants... Except for death. That could be hilarious.

Rat-icopter Variant
    Pros: Easy to rig and animate, potential for fun animations considering that the hands are free
    Cons: May be too similar to an enemy in the upcoming Shovel Knight game.

Winged Rat Variant
    This is fucking stupid.

Mecha-Winged Rat Variant
    Pros: Rat's hands are free creating potential for interesting animations, especially secondary motion; It almost seems like Valve prefers wings for couriers
    Cons: Probably not as easy to rig and animate as everything else

Any other thoughts? Things to consider?

glider.jpg

gliding possum!
  • OniLolz
    Offline / Send Message
    OniLolz polycounter lvl 12
    Cowl finished! Just 2 slots left :D

2KynA.jpg
  • BrontoThunder
    Offline / Send Message
    Can't wait to see what you do with his punchin' glove!
  • DashXero
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, all! I've certainly got a fair bit to think about...

I think I'm gonna try a wingsuit. And for some reason, I love the idea of combining the Cheese-Chaser with the malfunctioning Jet Pack.

I can't believe I'm seriously considering grafting wings onto a rat, but the idea of doing both wings and jetpack is strangely alluring.

@OniLolz
    Also can't wait to see the punching glove. It is gonna be sweet! I really like the use of arrows on your cloak.
  • Chriss Raven
    I believe the answer is quite obvious.
    Flying Cheese, lifting the mouse and the mouse still chasing it.
  • Chriss Raven
    DashXero wrote: »
    Thanks, all! I've certainly got a fair bit to think about...

I think I'm gonna try a wingsuit. And for some reason, I love the idea of combining the Cheese-Chaser with the malfunctioning Jet Pack.

I can't believe I'm seriously considering grafting wings onto a rat, but the idea of doing both wings and jetpack is strangely alluring.

@OniLolz
    Also can't wait to see the punching glove. It is gonna be sweet! I really like the use of arrows on your cloak.

Flying Cheese, lifting the mouse and the mouse still chasing it. In fact you can put emphasis on the magical, winged cheese, with the mouse being little more than a passenger, who's there to carry the bag. Would at least be more original.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Damm Oni that tusk set it looking SPIFFY! :D I wanna cuddle him he looks so soft and warm xD

I finished my enchantress update. Gonna start work on that skywrath mage set tomorrow :D

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=106303053&tscn=1367394984
    presentation.jpg
  • pear
    Offline / Send Message
    pear polycounter lvl 8
    Nice anuxi i was watching your stream :>

do you guys think this looks silly?
    jesus_zps89b6c56a.jpg
  • Insaneophobia
    Offline / Send Message
    Insaneophobia polycounter lvl 5
    pear wrote: »
    Nice anuxi i was watching your stream :>

do you guys think this looks silly?
    jesus_zps89b6c56a.jpg

Yeah kind of. I think the picture needs a little bit more action. It doesn't looks interesting enough in my opinion. Try to make her strike different poses and see what fits best in your opinion.

But this is just my opinion. :)
  • Rubus
    Offline / Send Message
    Rubus polycounter lvl 5
    @Anuxi:

Nedless to say, very nice set. I haven't followed the previous version, but I liked this 'season set' idea. Curious to see what (and if) you will do for the winter and spring :)

@pear:

I looks good, but the posing doesn't say much about anything, as she's currently just standing in a very generic position.

Perhaps more compelling movements, such as she combing her hair or something could do the trick.

Finally finished my PA set for the monthly competition. It's late, but it's done, here it goes:

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=142524175
    8698671332_75835d6d38_b.jpg
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    Wow some really nice sets being posted here, great work guys! Also can't wait to see that Tusk set finished!

Some progress on a Dragon Knight sword, concept is by DoubleLeaf!

0pqARvP.jpg
  • Paskie
    Keep in mind that her dress is actually two pieces, so you'll want to think outthe way they connect with each other and the rest of the cosmetics
    Yes, agreed. With the two first that will be no problem but with the last one i'll have to add some border or a belt.
  • MdK
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    OniLolz wrote: »
    Cowl finished! Just 2 slots left :D

2KynA.jpg

Looking great! Are you not doing his weapon? I'm curious as to what the slots actually are on Tusk as they are a little confusing. Is this correct?

tusk_hat - Head
    tusk_horns - Neck
    tusk_cowl - Shoulders
    tusk_armor_glove - Arms
    fish_basket - Back
    tusk_weapon - Weapon

Then what is the tusk_skirt for? I take it this is not customizable.
  • Uliss
    Yeah kind of. I think the picture needs a little bit more action. It doesn't looks interesting enough in my opinion. Try to make her strike different poses and see what fits best in your opinion.

But this is just my opinion. :)

You must do something with those red shades in her hair. It looks a little bit weird imo.
  • DashXero
    Offline / Send Message
    Flying Cheese, lifting the mouse and the mouse still chasing it. In fact you can put emphasis on the magical, winged cheese, with the mouse being little more than a passenger, who's there to carry the bag. Would at least be more original.

... That. Is. BRILLIANT!
    Dude, I don't use the word "brilliant" often. That idea earned it. Sure, I'll have to figure out the physics, maybe shorten the string a bit and enlarge the cheese, but there's potential there.

Thanks, Chriss Raven! 'Never would have thought of that.

See? THIS is why you don't develop things in a vacuum. You'd miss out on all kinds of crazy awesome things that can actually make your work better!

@pear
    What's the story behind that picture? She almost looks like she's trying to obtain inner peace. Now while it isn't as action packed as other pictures, I've got to say that that's the most clever way of showing both a front and back view of a character I've seen in a promotional image since... Well, ever.

@Anuxi
    If I commented every time you did something awesome, I'd have a post count in the thousands. I really like the leaf-dress!

@Rubus
    Turned out well! Glad to see you finished it!

@Andyk125
    Dude, it looks just like the concept! It's uncanny...
  • pear
    Offline / Send Message
    pear polycounter lvl 8
    thanks for the feedback im making another picture for fun