Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• AAA_BATTERY
    im currently working on a coal miner pack for pyro. got a coal shovel 95% done, and a coal miners hat in the works, its based off one of these. still not sure what to do for a third item... ideas?

im having a major issue with the hat and making it paintable if anyone could help me out. in the model viewer the hat looks exactly like it should, but once in game the part that should be paintable turns completely black, as you can see. this is what my vmt file looks like, and before you ask, no the hat its replacing isnt painted black, or painted at all.
    "VertexlitGeneric"
    {
        "$basetexture" "models/player/items/pyro/coal_hat"
        "$translucent" 0

"$yellow" "0"

"$blendtintbybasealpha" "1" 
        "$blendtintcoloroverbase" "1"   // between 0-1 determines how much blended by tinting vs. replacing the color

"$colortint_base" "{51 45 39}"  // put the RGB value of whats being colored when no paint is present, if $blendtintcoloroverbase is 0 then put [1 1 1] here.
        "$colortint_tmp" "[0 0 0]"

// Cloaking
        "$cloakPassEnabled" "1"
        "Proxies"
        {
            "weapon_invis"
            {
            }
            "BurnLevel"
            {
                "resultVar" "$detailblendfactor"
            }
            "YellowLevel"
            {
                "resultVar" "$yellow"
            }
            "Equals"
            {
                "srcVar1"  "$yellow"
                "resultVar" "$color2"
            }

"ItemTintColor"
            {
                "resultVar" "$colortint_tmp"
            }
            "SelectFirstIfNonZero"
            {
                "srcVar1"    "$colortint_tmp"
                "srcVar2"    "$colortint_base"
                "resultVar" "$color2"
            }
        }
    }

coalminer1.jpg
    coalminer2.jpg
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    so this is my first tf2 asset attempt, super rough grey box of a crossbow for the sniper, it will be a smg/shield replacement, there will be an alt fire to stick an explosive apple on the front, wanna try and get a large chunk of the hp out of the way tonight
    SuperRough.jpg
  • re.wind
    Watch out! Its hot!

CapsiCutter_mk2_04.jpg
  • Noors
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Chainzaw !
    It intersects slightly with the heavy body since the minigun is deported on the side. Did valve make special anims for the polycount pack weapons or the models were fitting the old ones ?
    chainzaw.jpg
  • Daimao
    I made a Halloween inspired Polycount-badge for shits and kicks. :D

Darktooth.png

(The envmap kind of makes the paint patches hard to see on the black part but what the heck!)
  • RedSheep
    Just a question, has anyone got the achievement 'Gored' and collected the haunted scrap metal and whatnot? I can't seem to figure out how it works, the wiki isn't too helpful at explaining currently.
  • autokey
    Offline / Send Message
    autokey polycounter lvl 11
    im currently working on a coal miner pack for pyro. got a coal shovel 95% done, and a coal miners hat in the works, its based off one of these. still not sure what to do for a third item... ideas?

im having a major issue with the hat and making it paintable if anyone could help me out. in the model viewer the hat looks exactly like it should, but once in game the part that should be paintable turns completely black, as you can see. this is what my vmt file looks like, and before you ask, no the hat its replacing isnt painted black, or painted at all.
    Not sure about the material problem, and really can't think of a third item for your set...that's a tough one. The link you used to show reference for your hat is broken, but the hat does seem a little too small from the miner's hats that I've seen. Can you try to re-link your reference?
    kite212 wrote: »
    so this is my first tf2 asset attempt, super rough grey box of a crossbow for the sniper, it will be a smg/shield replacement, there will be an alt fire to stick an explosive apple on the front, wanna try and get a large chunk of the hp out of the way tonight
    SuperRough.jpg
    Looks like a good start! Although, so far, it doesn't look like it would fit with the TF2 art style. I realize it's a very rough draft, but maybe try to exaggerate the size of some of the pieces to make it more cartoony :)
  • autokey
    Offline / Send Message
    I think my shoe phone may be ready for unwrapping! I added a small trap door for the antenna on top. I tried making the entire toe section of the shoe flip up to reveal a larger antenna, but the hat felt too busy with that in there. I also shortened the laces and fixed up the inconsistencies in the belt. What does everyone think?

Shoe Phone: 1383 tris - 704 polys
    wip01s.jpg
    wip02i.jpg
    wipwire.jpg
  • Mark Dygert
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlrdtMc3zLo[/ame]
    I finished modeling the V modeling, started on the W and did some quicky proof of concept max animation to make sure everything would work. There's some more parts that will animate but I know they'll work fine so I didn't animate them.

I should be able to get it unwrapped this weekend... that is if Halloween doesn't get in the way... which I know it will.
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Ha that's awesome Vig. I was skeptical at first but it's turning out real nice. My only concern is that the wood going in doesn't look right physics wise. It's angled down and the wood doesn't fall out, it just feeds itself in there which I wouldn't think wood would do. Maybe you could try it flipped upward and see if that looks better.
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    super quick little update, decided to make it more offensive for the sniper, so its gonna be a repeater with a pull back action and a clip, so heres the single shot and repeater so far
    CbowUpdate2.jpg

one in each hand XD
    CbowUpdate1.jpg
  • Bishop
    kite212 wrote: »
    super quick little update, decided to make it more offensive for the sniper, so its gonna be a repeater with a pull back action and a clip, so heres the single shot and repeater so far
    CbowUpdate2.jpg

one in each hand XD
    CbowUpdate1.jpg

Block out is pretty good so far, I don't know how you'll manage duel wield, but that would be pretty good.

But man, as much as I would love this, the handle looks like a dog tail! Please fix that up.
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah dual wield wasn't the plan just for shits and giggles, but sweet idea, the handle is still early i will keep feeding updates, thanks for the crits XD
  • Sneekyazn
    rendertest1.jpg
    Heres a lil item block out I'm gonna be workin on I think, a wrench replacement, going for a pneumatic air wrench or impact wrench whatever you wanna call it, need some feedback on the design tho, almost feel like its too pyro flamethrower/medic gun I think...
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    RedSheep wrote: »
    Just a question, has anyone got the achievement 'Gored' and collected the haunted scrap metal and whatnot? I can't seem to figure out how it works, the wiki isn't too helpful at explaining currently.

You have to melee the Horseless Headless Horsemann when he's about to die without you dying before he dies. So melee him when he's almost dead and run away and try not to get killed.
  • AAA_BATTERY
  • AGuyCalledSpyke
    Offline / Send Message
    AGuyCalledSpyke polycounter lvl 7
    Loads of good ideas, I have a few - I'm going to try and make at least one of them. Basically, I have a sniper rifle replacement idea, another Scout Melee and a Flare Gun (yes, like I said in the last page, it'll leave a trail of napalm :D)

Also, the Gored achievement - when he's close to death, go out and start smacking him withh your Melee - I recommend using Scout, as the bat's really good against him, and you can (kinda) dodge his attacks
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    so worked on bunch o bits, still tons to do, several parts still haven't been touched, like the cocking mechanism, i either want to do a manual pull back, or maybe a little pneumatic arm taped to the side that rearms the weapon after every shot, suggestions very welcome

CbowUpdate3.jpg
  • re.wind
    @Vig: does that shoot (wooden) stakes at enemies...?
  • -Em'-
    Offline / Send Message
    -Em'- polycounter lvl 8
    1fb7512616ca133e9d96167915ed6.jpg
    http://vimeo.com/16338096
    Here is the finished model I've submitted, sorry for the bad quality, I seriously need to learn about codecs and video compression...
    (first time, I've got a big file of 26go and now, a shitty file of 80mo)
  • Mark Dygert
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    Ha that's awesome Vig. I was skeptical at first but it's turning out real nice. My only concern is that the wood going in doesn't look right physics wise. It's angled down and the wood doesn't fall out, it just feeds itself in there which I wouldn't think wood would do. Maybe you could try it flipped upward and see if that looks better.
    Yea thats a concern I had too, I hope to explain that with the reload/load animation.

The metal shield flap that is over the log flips up during the reload animation and the log gets locked in place. The hand will jam it in horizontally and knock it down to lock it into place.

If the animations all together don't explain it well enough I'll add a little conveyor belt (now that I know about scrolling UV's thanks swiz) or a little basket/metal cage for the log to sit in with a push arm. Or maybe little feeder arms that work like snake jaws when consuming prey...
    re.wind wrote: »
    @Vig: does that shoot (wooden) stakes at enemies...?
    Yep. Left click will be a single shot, a bit like a sniper cannon. Right click full auto.

If they ever implement it I would hope that it works like the medics syringe sticking into things instead of leaving a decal. It would be awesome if it impaled people like the snipers bow. I would love it if they would let me do different "tips" that can be machined onto the stake as its processes. Like a metal tip or poison, it would also be great if you had to fabricate the different ammo types by crafting (not the ammo itself, but just the add on that works with the traditional system). I have a little area on the right cleared off that could hold add-ons and upgrades.

But those are just suggestions I'll make when I submit, they'll get to balance any way they see fit.
  • Davision3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Are there any character source files around that have the animations in it?
    I would like to make my freeze gun fit for the flare gun animations, considering there cant be custom animations thats the best i could do i guess.
  • PatrickL
    Offline / Send Message
    PatrickL polycounter lvl 9
    The texture here is a quick paint over. I'm really not sure what kind of design I'm going to end up using, but any suggestions are welcomed. I'm working on a set that aims to refresh the demoman class.

demob.jpg
  • The Scrub
    PatrickL wrote: »
    The texture here is a quick paint over. I'm really not sure what kind of design I'm going to end up using, but any suggestions are welcomed. I'm working on a set that aims to refresh the demoman class.

demob.jpg

Make it black and also make a different version with the cape in shreds

Using the Cape with the Stovepipe or the Halloween hats would then be win.

But just go ahead and pursue your design I'd like to see what this cape shall become (FOr the Stuntman?)
  • re.wind
    too short, but considering its my first proper tf2 mdl...I'm very pleased. now that i know how to import stuff, the rest is going to be easy.

pyro_chilliaxe_hlmv1.jpg
    pyro_chilliaxe_hlmv2.jpg
  • autokey
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D wrote: »
    Are there any character source files around that have the animations in it?
    I would like to make my freeze gun fit for the flare gun animations, considering there cant be custom animations thats the best i could do i guess.
    You can try extracting the pyro_animations.mdl file, but be warned, it will take a while. There are over 200 smds in there (possibly a lot more), and I've never tried to open them in max to look at the animations, so I'm not sure if it's possible. But it's worth a try.
    That's a great looking cape! No critiques from me, I look forward to seeing the final texture :)

re.wind wrote: »
    too short, but considering its my first proper tf2 mdl...I'm very pleased. now that i know how to import stuff, the rest is going to be easy.
    The model looks great! I agree it's a bit too small, but you have captured the art style nicely :)
  • Yamo
    Nice work re.wind! Maybe its small compared to the fireman's axe, but its pretty big for a cleaver

Also, if you turn on normal mapping in model viewer's render tab, you'll get rid of all those weird highlights
  • re.wind
  • Rafael Rojas
    okay, something simple to start with tf2 stuff: A chef hat (I'm so original :P)
    530 tris and 265 faces. made with maya

218865_chef_pyro2.jpeg
  • ThePowerPlumber
    okay, something simple to start with tf2 stuff: A chef hat (I'm so original :P)
    530 tris and 265 faces. made with maya

218865_chef_pyro2.jpeg
    make sure you put napkins in the top :o
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message

demob.jpg

Looks like it would go well with my Sober Stuntman. What else are you planning to do with the set? Not sure what sort of weapon would work for a Stuntman.
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    Looks like it would go well with my Sober Stuntman. What else are you planning to do with the set? Not sure what sort of weapon would work for a Stuntman.

he could carry a "mini man cannon" nade launcher replacement, that would just be a hand cannon
  • Blasphemy
    Finally, some progress.

babushkamodelviewernotex.jpg

Its a shame I don't know how to:

Make the heavy hold it (probably something to do with the naming of bones or that items_game.txt file that I can't currently extract out of the GCF)

Apply the texture (I was using a simple .tga but maybe I have to UV map it. Otherwise I'm sure my .qc file is searching at the wrong place. Or is it my .vmt?)

Figure out why my model has "2 Dimensional geometry" as that is driving GUIStudioMDL nuts.

How to apply and which models and smd exports I need to apply smoothing groups to.
  • re.wind
    you really need to do some research blasphemy. getting texture and weaponized model in-game is tricky the first time, but i strongly recommend you look around at tf2-specific sites (spuf). I know its a pain because this is my first imported model into any source game ever. 3-5 hours reading, tweaking, running into problems, being stupid, etc.

cp_mountainlab0000.jpg
    cp_mountainlab0001.jpg
  • SoylentRobot
    I was going to suggest that re.wind's chilli axe would set people on fire when you hit them with it, but then i slapped myself
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    the peppers on the back should have jiggle bones
  • Arcaltarion
    this may be a stupid question..
    what source tool do you use to test the hats in the characters? model viewer?
    As I don't know still how to put my gunslinger in-game I made a quick hat and replaced it for the Ellis cap to learn how the import/export thing work, I managed to get it ingame but I don't want to open tf2 everytime I had to check something

Edit: ok, I just loaded the hat as a weapon and that worked. I am so dumb.

well..... I have a second question. I want to put an opacity map in the hat?
    Does Soruce allow that? how do I do that?
    Can you save a transparency alpha channel within the VTF to "call" it from the VMT?
  • Base
    Offline / Send Message
    Base polygon
    Arcaltarion, I'm sure the source engine allows opacity mapping, but whether it'll work/look good/valve will put it in is up in the air. I'm sure you could test it, but I can't think of much in tf2 that has transparency (aside from things like the snipers glasses or w/e).
  • Monkeez
    Anyone have any troubles with losing smoothing groups before? All my hard edges have gone :S

EDIT: Nevermind, cause I am going from Maya to Max to SMD the smoothing groups didn't transfer over to max properly. I solved this by using FBX instead of OBJ.
  • twigdamnyou
    Offline / Send Message
    twigdamnyou polycounter lvl 8
    heres a hat i have started working on recently i was thinking about doing a hole pack around the same theme

comments and crits welcome!

soldiermayanwip.jpg
  • AGuyCalledSpyke
    Offline / Send Message
    AGuyCalledSpyke polycounter lvl 7
    I've realised that, in a few days, everyone will start making Christmas hats instead...
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    I've realised that, in a few days, everyone will start making Christmas hats instead...

A few days? I've already started...
  • Arcaltarion
  • Davision3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
  • The Scrub
    freezeguntex.jpg
    getting there

*pets fluffy white cat*
    I've been expecting you Spy!
    FREEZE!
  • autokey
    Offline / Send Message
    heres a hat i have started working on recently i was thinking about doing a hole pack around the same theme

comments and crits welcome!

soldiermayanwip.jpg
    Looks good! What's the theme you are giong for?
    here

HATS!

2cffkli.jpg30a4zh5.jpg
    Very nice! The dark areas around the rim of the hat where it's torn look good, but the one on the bucket part of the hat looks a bit off. What were you going for with that effect? (dirt, gun powder, how did it get there, etc) :)
    freezeguntex.jpg
    getting there
    Wow Davision! That looks awesome! I would love to see it in hlmv or in game to see how the lighting hits it!
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Love the freeze gun !
  • PatrickL
    Offline / Send Message
    PatrickL polycounter lvl 9
    Quick update on the demo cape!

demoga.jpg
  • autokey
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update on the demo cape!

demoga.jpg
    Looking great, Patrick! I really have no critiques :D
  • Arcaltarion
    @AUTOKEY: the dark areas are indeed gunpowder stains. I don't like the bucket one as much as the others, but without it the hat looked a bit plain