Home Technical Talk

Polycount Estimate?

Hello. I have a question about the common topic of what a good polycount is. I am currently working on a model that I have bumped up from around 7,100 to 31,000 in ZBrush to use as my low poly instead. I have extruded a portion of the model, so now they don't show up so well compared to the higher versions. I have tried editing the topology in ZBrush, but I am still new to it, and am approaching a deadline for my portfolio.

So my question is to save time, if I decide to use the next lowest subdivision as my low poly instead, would 125k polys be waaaay overboard? (The model is a large monster) Normally, I usually stick with doing the best I can with low polys. But with hearing ridiculously high polys for next gen stuff, would it really be that bad?

Replies

• sub_roland
    Offline / Send Message
    sub_roland polycounter lvl 12
    My understanding is that 20-30k is alright for your main characters (kratos is 20k) Not sure what the "next-gen" will be pushing though. And I've been working on tablet stuff for a while, so my counts are a bit low these days :P But i think the next push for assets seems to be displacement maps. so you would still have the lower geo (~20k) and a new texture map would do that work.
  • JamesWild
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesWild polycounter lvl 8
    Next gen characters might actually be lower poly with a bigger focus on topology for efficient, clean tessellation.
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    JamesWild wrote: »
    Next gen characters might actually be lower poly with a bigger focus on topology for efficient, clean tessellation.

I would believe that, with some new tricks or more maps!
  • Tavor
    Offline / Send Message
    Tavor polycounter lvl 8
    A good idea would be to post wireframes of the model and a nice render of it in-engine or at least a scree. People can figure out a lot about the topology and context of the character (and whether its features merit that 125K of polies).

I'm not a character artist, but 125K seems high (even if it were raw triangles count, which I don't know if you mean triangles or polygons).
  • McGreed
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    I was wondering if we should have a wiki entry with that kind of information, because it keeps popping up. Have a list of games with polycount average for characters, props, weapons, vehicles, etc.
  • Hang10
    I don't mean to high jack the thread but I agree with what McGreed says.

As for DropOfTime, if you go looking in the Polycount Showcase threads you'll see they've put up their final tri counts so you can use those as benchmarks.
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    No and no, and to echo what Perna said, 125K is no way feasible, even UDK has a hard limit of 60K vertices for a mesh, and that is still no excuse to even reach that number, unless you're talking about a fully kitted out character, which requires hyper detail for a cinematic in a game engine.

Simply put, you can import all the way upto a half a millions vertices in a game engine, but to what end, when that amount of extra 'data' can be used elsewhere?

Unless you want to work for cinematic's, in which case, you can run away with it, but even that is debatable since more times then not you have a LP model which has turbo smooth run on it and Disp. mapped.
  • DropsOfTime
    Thank you very much guys. I am going to stick with 31k polys and use a displacement map (and even 31k seems high!) I truly appreciate everyone taking the time to help me out :)
  • cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    McGreed wrote: »
    I was wondering if we should have a wiki entry with that kind of information, because it keeps popping up. Have a list of games with polycount average for characters, props, weapons, vehicles, etc.

http://wiki.polycount.com/PolygonCount?action=show&redirect=Polygon+Count#Typical_Triangle_Counts

Could also edit in some more info if needed.