Home Technical Talk

How The F*#% Do I Model This? - Reply for help with specific shapes - (Post attempt before asking)

Replies

• ghaztehschmexeh
    Sometimes I get issues where edges are razor sharp for no reason. It's usually solved by putting on a turbosmooth with 0 iterations and collapsing. Might be a different issue though.
  • Luka
    Offline / Send Message
    Luka polycounter lvl 5
    WarrenM wrote: »
    Unwelded verts maybe?

Ive exported as OBJ and reimported and it worked then... was apparently just a max bug... ugh
  • cadgonegames
    Having issues working out how to work the topology for this model. I tend to struggle when things start to have alot of holes etc and they all need to have varying fillets / roundness. Any recommendations?

Ref:

http://starttraffic.co.uk/image/cache/data/product-photos/barriers/avalon-barrier/avalon-barrier-standard-front-orange-1000x1000_0.jpg
  • SonicBlue
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue polycounter lvl 10
    Having issues working out how to work the topology for this model. I tend to struggle when things start to have alot of holes etc and they all need to have varying fillets / roundness. Any recommendations?

Ref:

http://starttraffic.co.uk/image/cache/data/product-photos/barriers/avalon-barrier/avalon-barrier-standard-front-orange-1000x1000_0.jpg

Are you going to use subdivision surface on it?
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Throneinc wrote: »
    can an object ever be too sharp ? aside from he absolute sharpness where no highlights are getting picked off.

Yes, too sharp can cause jaggies. http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Normal_map#Modeling_The_High-Poly_Mesh
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Yeah the sharper things are, the more likely they are going to have anti-aliasing issues. If you are going to do just offline renders, you can just crank up the settings.
  • cadgonegames
    SonicBlue wrote: »

I was going to, but I think I've messed up the ability to do. I usually start by just outlining the initial shape, cut my holes then begin to sub div, but I always end up with bad topology. I'm guessing my workflow is wrong for this?
  • SonicBlue
    Offline / Send Message
    I was going to, but I think I've messed up the ability to do. I usually start by just outlining the initial shape, cut my holes then begin to sub div, but I always end up with bad topology. I'm guessing my workflow is wrong for this?

Is not wrong, but you need to have a correct topology for the subdivision surface to work correctly, you don't necessarily need a quad-only mesh, but your edges have to retain the shape. You have to model it predicting how it will react after you subdivide it.

If you want, you can upload your model in .obj or .fbx into a file host (mediafire/mega/sendspace) compressed (7zip for example) so that I can take a better look at it.
  • wirrexx
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    SonicBlue wrote: »
    Your edgeconsistens that follows the curve is Uneven. For ex. (not the best one)

FpNBZMt.jpg
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Luka wrote: »
    Ive exported as OBJ and reimported and it worked then... was apparently just a max bug... ugh

Slapping an Edit Poly modifier above and collapsing might also work, as well as an Edit Normals modifier (select all and unify).
  • Wintersun
    Offline / Send Message
    Wintersun polycounter lvl 12
    Ok how do you model dem headlights (and tailights)?
    While neither of the sphere topologys will help making the straight top to bottom details. the spherified cube topology edges goes to sides as you go farther from center and don't stay straight while the regular sphere is not working at all. I tried straightening the lines in the spherified one but that some how doesn't help much because the side planes have different flow.
    any help is appreciated.
    Polycount.jpg
  • Wintersun
    Offline / Send Message
    perna. Thank you very much that helps. now the problem is the script multislice isn't available anymore. :(
  • Wintersun
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok I think I found something similar and it does a good job.
    http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/slicer
  • Falkrum
    Offline / Send Message
    Falkrum polycounter lvl 2
    Wintersun wrote: »
    Ok how do you model dem headlights (and tailights)?
    While neither of the sphere topologys will help making the straight top to bottom details. the spherified cube topology edges goes to sides as you go farther from center and don't stay straight while the regular sphere is not working at all. I tried straightening the lines in the spherified one but that some how doesn't help much because the side planes have different flow.
    any help is appreciated.
    Polycount.jpg
    Is there really any problem here?
    wyKh4thk.jpg p0j6zzL9.jpg
  • Wintersun
    Offline / Send Message
    Perna : Thank you for your effort. I downloaded it from your drive. The scriptspot one was down.
    Shinigami : Yea now that you put it that way it seems really simple. I think my mind always had put the hole at the poles ! DUH ! thank you. but the having to know the general workflow helps alot, cause not all the headlights and tailights have near standard geometry shapes.
    Another question, not much related to modeling, How to customize my create tab on the right of 3ds max to have my most used modifiers on top of it. I still waste time searching for those with their initials. Symmetry, FFD, Turbosmooth blah blah and want to customize my side tabs. Can any1 help me in that direction? I've seen that from a long time ago and never had a chance to find out how to do it.
    And when there will be another mini challenge?! It seems everyone's busy...
  • Kroma!
    Offline / Send Message
    Kroma! polycounter lvl 9
    Wintersun wrote: »
    Another question, not much related to modeling, How to customize my create tab on the right of 3ds max to have my most used modifiers on top of it. I still waste time searching for those with their initials. Symmetry, FFD, Turbosmooth blah blah and want to customize my side tabs.

Click "Configure Modifier Sets"

53IxeRy.png

Set up as many buttons as you want, drag and drop modifiers to change layout

BgX5bmZ.png
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    @Shini No worries dude, just trying to return to the community what it has provided to me. It wasn't that long ago I was posting in here getting frustrated :) Just wait until you start baking complex objects, and you can't figure out why your cage won't work or why you are getting horrid errors!
  • Brygelsmack
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    Shinigami wrote: »
    Just something I did in 15 or 20 mins. 20 Mins!!. I mean 6 month ago, i was struggling on this shape!
    CoWKkL3.png
    Looking pretty wonky honestly. Maybe just smooth that before you bend it.
  • Muk
    I messed with this shape for too long now, and I'd really like to see a pro's approach for this.
    I tried with creasing tool, support edges (+support edges following topology) and 64 sides cylinder, but none of it is giving me the desired result.

orca_s1210_epirb_b.jpgpolycountHelp.jpg

I'm also open for resources to improve; scripts/tutorials

/Muk

Edit: how come that none's talking about open subdiv and creasing?
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Muk wrote: »

Edit: how come that none's talking about open subdiv and creasing?

Awesome question.
  • WarrenM
    Because it nullifies most of the content in this thread. Heh. Seriously, I've switched over to psubs and creasing and I won't ever go back. Fuck edge loops. :P
  • axxic3
    Hey guys, I would like some help please. Working inside modo, Im putting the last touches on a knife model and ran into a problem aligning verts/edges along the blade. Is there a better way of aligning these since moving them individually is taking a long time and it ends up being wavy once its subdivided. Thanks in advance!

gx2VusI.png
  • Muk
    Thanks for the replies!

I had not thought of that topology.
  • Nosslak
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak polycounter lvl 12
    Just use ngons on the flat parts of the knife and then simplify the profile of the blades edge. Ngons on flat faces doesn't matter as it won't be seen anyway and it doesn't look like you'll do any sculpting on the knife.
  • axxic3
    Wow didn't expect anyone to actually build it, thank you Shinigami. I usually add all the control loops just before I'm done with the main shape but this time I ended up having to go back to the shape after that's why there's so many loops. I do agree with you though I would like to be better at minimizing my polygons there are way too many to deal with. I'll try minimizing when I get home. What part of the blade did you start with?
  • Lunar_Crusader
    Offline / Send Message
    Lunar_Crusader polycounter lvl 9
    Hey Guys!

I've been having issues modeling the bottom piece of this machine head for a guitar I'm working on and I can't believe that it's beating me. The model itself isn't too difficult but I can't seem to figure out a good topology flow to keep crisp lines once I add a turbosmooth modifier. Any advice? I'm not concerned with modeling the hole that the screw would go through but just getting them crispy lines.

Thanks!
    Alice-AL-016P-Single-Chrome-Plated-Locked-Machine-Head-Acoustic-Guitar-String-Tuning-Pegs-Tuners-Set.jpg
  • ZippZopp
    Offline / Send Message
    ZippZopp polycounter lvl 12
    i took a stab at it. it is pretty symmetrical to start. then i just used a bunch of booleans to cut the cylinders shapes into the top and into the side. be careful though, you say you want those nice crispy lines, but actually the bevels aren't super sharp in most areas

this isn't the most clean model, but it should give you an idea of some of the topology. i do have a little pinching where the piece is extruded out of the main cylindrical shape, i should have started with a cylinder with more edges
  • AdvisableRobin
    Offline / Send Message
    AdvisableRobin polycounter lvl 10
    Hey Guys!

I've been having issues modeling the bottom piece of this machine head for a guitar I'm working on and I can't believe that it's beating me. The model itself isn't too difficult but I can't seem to figure out a good topology flow to keep crisp lines once I add a turbosmooth modifier. Any advice? I'm not concerned with modeling the hole that the screw would go through but just getting them crispy lines.

Thanks!
    Alice-AL-016P-Single-Chrome-Plated-Locked-Machine-Head-Acoustic-Guitar-String-Tuning-Pegs-Tuners-Set.jpg

Make sure to post up your attempts so we know where you're at.

I recently made one of these actually, try starting with the main circle shape and give it plenty of sides to work with, 32+. The difficult part is if you want to make the 'twisting' part and the rest of the piece together, you can just use the shrink wrap bevel method if you find making a continuous mesh too much of a headache.

A great way to start hardsurface shapes is to visually sketch a wireframe overtop of the object, it can help you plan for edge flow and topology.
  • Dave Jr
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9
    Really Really finding this difficult...

1kltn9E.jpg

if anyone has any advice on how to initially get the 3 cylinders correctly joined it would save me a ton of time and headache! :)
  • WarrenM
    What have you tried?
  • Dave Jr
    Offline / Send Message
    First I tried Booleans, never had any luck with them; not sure how the voodoo is done on here...

then I tried using a cylinder; extrude, reshape and sym.

Like this;
    (maybe I should of used less edges? It looks like its eventually gonna lead down to a pole and pinch when I need chamfers there :\
    0wKVtqu.jpg
  • WarrenM
    It might be as easy as laying in 3 cylinders where they need to be, and then figure out the best way to connect them together. It's probably not as bad as you're imagining.
  • Dave Jr
    Offline / Send Message
    Shinigami wrote: »
    regarding booleans. Booleans werent friendly to me initially but i remember visiting a thread where they did some cool magic with booleans. They just require clean ups which is way more comfortable than modeling it/find other ways.

Wow amazing thanks, I'll download the obj shortly and have a look the bottom is actually cylindrical too which makes it even more bulbous.

Your method is extremely similar to what I'm currently trying so cheers; have you got a link to that thread by any chance? I've been through pernas Dropbox folder and some great stuff there :D
  • Dobbler
    Offline / Send Message
    Dobbler polycounter lvl 11
    Hey folks, looking for a little advice. I have a vert with 5 edges causing some ugly creasing on my subd model. I've tried slicing the topology up a few different ways but haven't found a solution that doesn't cause even more pinching. I'm sure there's a really obvious solution I'm missing, but I'm stuck!

Also attached a reference of the faceted hexagonal cap on the gap pump nozzle I'm trying to make.

KPknOsO.jpg

fmPKkP8.jpg

kmz37p4.jpg

dlCUFlC.jpg
  • igi
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    run meshcleanup command couple of times or check whether it disappears at higher subdivision levels.

if you're intending for baking a normal map then I wouldn't be worried about small errors like these. they will be less visible in the normal map especially once the diffuse and other textures applied.
  • Dobbler
    Offline / Send Message
    Dobbler polycounter lvl 11
    @igi - I've run mesh cleanup and upped the subdivisions several different ways and still get minor creasing. I know an error that small won't show on a bake - especially with the density of sharing a texture with an entire gas pump. I'm just checking if there was a better way I could have constructed the geo so in the future I can avoid that problem if it does happen on a more prominent form.
  • igi
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    Dobbler wrote: »
    @igi - I've run mesh cleanup and upped the subdivisions several different ways and still get minor creasing. I know an error that small won't show on a bake - especially with the density of sharing a texture with an entire gas pump. I'm just checking if there was a better way I could have constructed the geo so in the future I can avoid that problem if it does happen on a more prominent form.

Even though your error looks like caused by some illegal geometry (double edges, some floating vertices etc) rather then sub-d based, I gave it a go. looking decent to me:

OtIWRSS.jpg

I am sure there's a better way to do that but still this could work as an easy fix:
    xOijxpj.jpg
  • kinggambitben
    Offline / Send Message
    kinggambitben polycounter lvl 4
    Hi guys newbie here trying to replicate a retinal scanner that I imported (left w/selected element):
    28sqbqR.jpg

The purple object (right) is mine at it's current state.
    I tried edge modeling using local orientation but scaling the edges in doesn't work out well.

Could someone point me in the right direction of what to do? Angled face makes things a bit more complicated for me (I think..)
  • SonicBlue
    Offline / Send Message
    There are various ways to do that, but they all consist in the end on model the mesh and then move it on place.

The first consist in aligning the whole scene to the normal direction of a planar face in the model, in this case the one you have select will work fine.
    This will give you the ability to look at the like it was in a 0-90° angle, facing you directly in the orthographic views. Don't know if 3ds Max can do that, XSI for sure (good job Autodesk!)

The second is to manually rotate your reference to get the best view possible, use an instance if you don't want to move the original, so that you can easily trace it (if you remove the triangulation it will better to see it), if it's what you want to do.

The third is to model your mesh while looking at the reference, and the move it on the correct position, but since you seem to have difficulty in getting the correct shape, I'd suggest you to try the second method, is not the most precise, but it's the easiest to do.

WQDCC21.png

This is a quick model made while looking at your reference, not very precise but similar enough, to make it simple I made the cut at 45°, but you should make it at the angle the main machine panel is.
  • flowlife
    Offline / Send Message
    flowlife null
    In case if someone needs a tutorial on how to make the model above/ [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR6Gt2qRPRM[/ame]
  • Millenia
    Offline / Send Message
    Millenia polycount sponsor
    Quick take on it.

VoP4RSL.png
  • Moutrave
    Offline / Send Message
    Moutrave polycounter lvl 8
    Hey guys

My take on it, qs a first timer;

UB32_1.png

UB32_2.png

UB32_3.png

there's some weird shading / shape at some places near the bottom, maybe it's due to non optimal triangls ? Anyway the smaller tubes I've first used booleans on, then I only kept the perfectly matching shape and put in back on a copy of the bigger piece I had made before using boolean, as floating geo. I could try to just stitch it all together, don't know if that's useful though ?

Any comments are welcome! Please let me know of the things I can improve :)
    Thanks for the exercise !
  • JustMeSR
    Offline / Send Message
    JustMeSR polycounter lvl 4
    Moutrave wrote: »
    UB32_1.png

Just a small critique if I may.
    • You don't need 5 edgeloops to make it round 1 to 2 is enough.
    • The "front pipes" have smoother tip transition (move edgeloops further apart).
    • The pipes also have transition with the rest of the rocket launcher (you can use same trick as Millenia did).
    • Also to maintain the overall roundness of cylinder you need extra (untouched) edgeloop between each hole.
    • Use "more sided" cylinder so that you won't have to use triangles to create holes. (it resulted in quite weird shading in the bottom part [closer to tip] of the mesh)
  • Colddeez
    Really Cool mini-challenge Shinigami! Loved the geometry here :)

Had to take a stab at it myself...

UB%20Launcher.jpg

UB%20Launcher%20Wireframe.png
  • Ionixe
    Hey guys, I am currently modelling an M4 Carbine and have found myself stuck at trying to smooth this part:

High-Poly
    http://i.imgur.com/8vaOwhk.jpg
    8vaOwhk.jpg

Wireframe:
    http://i.imgur.com/DXTaI0k.jpg
    DXTaI0k.jpg

Edit #1: There's actually some smoothing artifact when viewed from different angles. I plan to bake this down to a Low-Poly when it's done.

It's a RECEIVER EXTENSION NUT.
    Help? :3
  • Mr Digital
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Digital polycounter lvl 8
    Ionixe wrote: »
    Hey guys, I am currently modelling an M4 Carbine and have found myself stuck at trying to smooth this part:

High-Poly
    http://i.imgur.com/8vaOwhk.jpg
    8vaOwhk.jpg

Wireframe:
    http://i.imgur.com/DXTaI0k.jpg
    DXTaI0k.jpg

Edit #1: There's actually some smoothing artifact when viewed from different angles. I plan to bake this down to a Low-Poly when it's done.

It's a RECEIVER EXTENSION NUT.
    Help? :3

Only i suggest an 60 sided cylinder, you have enough support edges all around, if not, then more sided cylinder if details are smaller.
  • Wintersun
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello Guys, How to go around model this thing? I actually have done it like the pictures you see, But I was wondering how do you guys would do it cause it took me around 2 hours and I'm not still fully satisfied.
    (Sorry for attaching the image my using host was down)
  • Moutrave
    Offline / Send Message
    Moutrave polycounter lvl 8
    JustMeSR wrote: »
    Just a small critique if I may.
    • You don't need 5 edgeloops to make it round 1 to 2 is enough.
    • The "front pipes" have smoother tip transition (move edgeloops further apart).
    • The pipes also have transition with the rest of the rocket launcher (you can use same trick as Millenia did).
    • Also to maintain the overall roundness of cylinder you need extra (untouched) edgeloop between each hole.
    • Use "more sided" cylinder so that you won't have to use triangles to create holes. (it resulted in quite weird shading in the bottom part [closer to tip] of the mesh)

Hey ! Thanks for the crits ! That helps, I'll try to tinker with it some more :) or just try it again since it seems my base cylinder wasn't quite right. I just didn't get the "Millenia trick"? Don't know what that means :( could you elaborate please (or point me in the right direction hehe).

Really nice exercice and looking forward to the next one anyway !
  • oskarkeo
    Offline / Send Message
    oskarkeo polycounter lvl 10
    7b.JPGHi, wouldn't mind some advice on making the metal window joining to the glass.

I'm modelling in blender, and ending up using a subsurface modifier with a bevel modifier to give a bit of finish to the edges of the microwave. Unfortunately these same modifiers seem to keep the sloping window edges sharp rather than rounded. Also the corners aren't getting enough geo and are looking particularly faceted.

Any suggestions?
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    just add another loop and move it forward