Home Collaboration & Unpaid Work

Project Archon - Seeking concept artists

Hello everyone on the Polycount forum. I am an individual who represents a small group of people working on a project for a new kind of MMO. As of right now, this is purely at the conceptual and design stages, however we require assistance. Below are the details of what we require.

The Project
  • As of right now, the project is simply codenamed 'Archon'; we have yet to decide on a name.
  • It is a dark fantasy inspired game, which takes place in a modern criminal underworld setting.
  • We are primarily seeking a concept artist to assist with putting what visions we have in our heads onto a screen or paper. We require concept art that we can show to others to gauge interest in the project.
  • This is currently unpaid work. However, any materials provided for the project will remain YOUR property so if you decide at any point you do not wish to be part of the project and want to take away any art of your own, we are perfectly accepting of that. If you want to take your work away and put it in your portfolio as part of a freelance project, feel free to, even if the game does not take off.
  • Despite this project being currently unpaid, it MAY become a paid job in the future should there be enough support to get it up and running.

Myself and the Team

I am a 25 year old man from the UK, looking to possibly branch out from my usual career path and try something new. I have been playing video games for about 18-20 something years. In those years, I've experienced a huge amount of what the video games industry has to offer. I've become involved in communities and even built a few of my own, as well as hosted servers, designed/created forums and art, and I've even dabbled a bit in C++ coding.

I have little technical skill when it comes to games design, but I have an understanding of the skills required to create a game. Despite not having any specific video game technical design expertise, I do have a fantastic vision in my head with some brilliant ideas to make a truly amazing game, therefore I'd consider myself to be a creative writer and designer.

I currently hold a BSc. Hons (Bachelor of Science with honours) degree and very soon, an MSc (Master of Science) degree, so I'm by no means uneducated or closed minded.

Here is our current team structure:

A. Harrison (BSc. Hons, ACSFS) - Lead creative designer and team manager
Z. Walters (BSc. Hons) - Co-lead creative designer, level designer and secondary team manager
D. O'Keeffe - Creative designer and writer
E. Rock - Creative designer and writer
A. Frola (BSc) - Lead concept artist

What do we need?

As of right now, we are seeking only one or two voluntary concept artists to assist us with designing some of the following game features:
  • Character concept art. We are looking for someone who is inspired by Dark Fantasy type art; think angels and demons.
  • Environment concept art. We are looking for someone who can draw us a couple of environment sketches, so we can start to visualize our game world.
  • Prototype-GUI artists. We are looking for someone who can design us a nice looking but not overly elaborate in-game graphical user interface, for things such as an inventory or skill tree. It does NOT need to be functional, we only require a simple concept of what it will look like. We have two pieces of concept art for skill trees designed in Photoshop, but we are not willing to publicly share those at these early stages. The content will however be shared with any concept artists who join this project.
  • Weapons concept art. We need one or two weapons designing in a specific style. Again, think angels and demons for this one.

This concept art does NOT need to be extremely detailed. We would like color in the images if possible, but sketches will also do. The images can be either hand drawn and scanned, or digitally created. Whichever the concept artist prefers.

Thank you for reading this thread. If you are interested or wish to know more, please send me a private message and we can talk.

Replies

• Chromat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey!

I am but a dabbler in art, but i am determined to get better and i am willing to draw your requests for free. Color included :)

This is my deviant art page : http://chromat.deviantart.com/

Hope it is okay for a start, ill do my best!

Chromat
  • ProjectArchon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Chromat, thank you for your interest. I've had a look at your Deviant Art page and what we're looking for could be a challenge for a lot of people. You can still draw a whole lot better than I can that's for sure, but if possible we'd like our early concepts to be sketches or uncoloured images with keen attention to detail.

However I will most definitely not reject your kind offer should you want to give it a shot. Feel free to send me a private message if you're still interested and we'll talk some more about the specifics :)
  • Andrew F Productions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andrew F Productions polycounter lvl 3
    This sounds like a really fun project and I have the free time to spare! I have a BoS in Media Arts and Animation and have been trying to focus my skill set into concept work, that being said, you can find my current portfolio at http://andrewfrolaproductions.com/

I look forward to hearing back from you soon!
  • ProjectArchon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Andrew. Thank you for your interest and kind offer, I appreciate it very much :) I've sent you a private message, and Chromat. You guys have both offered to graciously assist us and we'd love to take you both up on the offer. You may both end up designing the same thing, so if you could chat with eachother and each decide what you would like to do then I can help you with artistic direction relating to what we're looking for on a more personal basis.
  • ProjectArchon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is an update on our project. We have several pieces of concept art we want to share with the public, we are looking for people to join the team who can create similar art to the images shown below.

We are also seeking more staff members. If you are interested in joining the project, please message me with details of your skills and any previous work. We are seeking a 3D modeler and texture artist, environment artist and a GUI artist.

Archangel%20skill%20tree_zpslrsob9si.jpg?1442361748311&1442361750087&1442361761626

Infernal%20Knight%20skill%20tree_zpsaxwl59k0.jpg?1442361748311&1442361750087&1442361761626&1442361783633

13mT3dH.jpg
  • CestroArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CestroArt polycounter lvl 2
    Hi!
    So, I'm in the middle of a few other projects for a few other people but I would really love to help out with yours too.
    Anyway, I dont have an online account as of yet, however, I would love to email you some of my bitd and pieces if your interested in having me hop onboard with your project :)

P.S: OMG, I don't know who made the concepts, but it is simply amazing. Some people have serious talent. Two thumbs up guys!!!!! :3:thumbup::thumbup:
  • ProjectArchon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi CestroArt.

Thanks for your interest in the project. I'll send you a PM now so we can discuss it some more.
  • khybot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    khybot polycounter lvl 2
    I pm'd you. Just wanted to share the work with the community... Here's a folder that I thought would be appropriate for your project:

http://dxyxgx.deviantart.com/gallery/56245199/archon
  • ProjectArchon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are a few more excellent pieces of concept art from our lead concept artist Andrew F. If anyone is interested in creating art similar to this, please message me.

We are also looking for an environment artist in particular right now as we have some characters and weapons drawn up. We need a few concept sketches for environments in the game. We would like concept art for a social area of the game, an open-world area of the game (what we call a 'district') and a gothic themed nightclub.

0v3VXew.jpg
    dWFxKAj.jpg
  • DanaosC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DanaosC polycounter lvl 5
    Hey mate! If you require Character Artists and you're into for a realistic approach, i'd love to help!
    -Dan
  • rlo5ca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rlo5ca null
    This is quite the interesting theme for a game.

Please take a look at my portfolio online @ http://www.russlopezart.com

I am a concept artist and illustrator, please let me know if i can be of any help.

-Russ
  • MrD4rth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrD4rth polycounter lvl 9
    Greetings! Id love to help with some of the games modeling or texture work. I am a self-appointed environment artist, usually. But any and all props are fair game. I currently work as a 3D modeler for a company that makes outdoor furnishings/structures. So if you could use some help in that realm of design, feel free to contact me on my site
    https://brandonaustin3d.com/