Home Dota 2

International 2014 - Postmortem

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
Lke last year I'm curious to collect everyones opinion on how the international was handled in reguards to the event as a whole, as well as specifically the workshop section. This is also not only for the people at the event, but those where watching from home, but please state which of he two parties you belong to in order to avoid confusion. Feel free to be as open as possible.

I also plan on sending this thread to DerrickG, I'm sure he's looking for constructive feedback on how to improve on this next year.

Cheers!

Replies

• kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    Unfortunately I had to watch from home this year, hopefully can go next year,TI5 hype!
    I wish that there would have been a TI_Workshop stream set up to stream all the Workshop presentations. I saw other mentioning that WorkshopLive hosted these, but I did not even realize they were available. At least I read that the artists can share these out as they please, but it would have been nice to see a little more love into getting the Workshop presentations to more eager viewers! Also did anyone propose a Workshop match kind of like the all star match, but just workshop artists? How cool would that be!
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    I think that the stream is the main criticism. As kite said, would be really great if we had a Dota2ti_workshop stream or something of the sort, instead of relying on LiveWorkshop, which not everyone knows about and also has a subscriber paywall for VODs. I know that artists can get their presentations and upload to YouTube or whatever, but it still doesn't feel great that we have to wait for the 'goodwill' of others to share the VODs when this should be handled by Valve.

Not really any other major stuff that I can remember. They only seemed to care about the 'popular' artists on streams, and I only remember seeing some stuff about the workshop area on one day, when we had various different artists each day of the main even, but that is all to be expected I guess.
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    belkun wrote: »
    I think that the stream is the main criticism. As kite said, would be really great if we had a Dota2ti_workshop stream or something of the sort, instead of relying on LiveWorkshop, which not everyone knows about and also has a subscriber paywall for VODs. I know that artists can get their presentations and upload to YouTube or whatever, but it still doesn't feel great that we have to wait for the 'goodwill' of others to share the VODs when this should be handled by Valve.

Not really any other major stuff that I can remember. They only seemed to care about the 'popular' artists on streams, and I only remember seeing some stuff about the workshop area on one day, when we had various different artists each day of the main even, but that is all to be expected I guess.

This mainly.

Other than that, here are a few more:

- Valve general feedback on the state of the workshop and their opinion on content in terms of quality and amount; Is it high enough, should it be higher? Are they promoting more artists to hop on board? They don't have to direct the way the workshop going in the reply. I am looking more along the lines of: Yeah we can handle more content and we will start supporting this kind of content more.

- Timing! Watch workshop streams or watch match!? I think having one channel on Twitch/Youtube dedicated for the workshop where people can go back and watch saved videos can go a long way (no LiveWorkshop Twitch please).

- I heard that all workshop artists who got to TI had to pay for their tickets and hotels. They might not be as popular as Pro players but I believe they complement the event very nicely and could have offloaded that part off their backs. I don't need to state the contribution of workshop artists to the Dota 2 economy and business model.

- Those who attended got stronger following and presence vs those who didn't. Can something be done to balance that out? Or Valve has no intention to have some sort of retention plans for Dota 2 artists? An idea along that line is have artists who won't be attending TI to provide some of their material and showcase it somehow with help from Valve. The material can be WIPs, existing workshop content, guides, Q&A...etc.

- We who didn't get an invite, didn't get much items in game and still continue working on stuff have gotten no word from Valve and makes us feel that we do not exist and are not of their interest. Which really makes no sense to me. If Valve are promoting workshop artists in TI, then they want more people to hop in? Or did they have another intention? If it was the former, some feedback, direct or indirect, to tell us that Valve cares for us all and not TI attendees could go along way in terms of encouragement. In the end, it isn't a promise to get stuff in, but more along the lines "we are watching, we care, keep on improving!".

I tried to channel my honest thoughts positively and constructively. Hope it helps!

Lastly, yeah i was watching on Stream! Lots of great stuff I missed though due to amount of content, timing and that paywall...
  • foxclover
    So, just going to echo everyone else's sentiment that vod locked stream content is the biggest disappointment.
    foxclover wrote: »
    No other content from The International is blocked - If you missed a game, you could watch it whenever you got the chance to, and it was available from multiple twitch streams. With games going on at the same time as the workshop presentations, it's reasonable to expect people will be missing some and will be returning to watch it later.

The fact of the matter is, If liveworkshop requires a subscription, then it shouldn't be hosted on liveworkshop. It's nice that the artist gets a file of their own presentation vod, but for people searching for a "TI4 series" of them, locating the artists can be a hassle, especially when you can't remember the presenter's name.

Imagine you want to watch the cloud9 vs na'vi game at the main event, but you had to run errands, and you missed it. You try to look up a vod, and find that it's available instantly for a $5 fee (that doesn't go to valve or the players or the teams)... or you can wait until the international is over, and hope you can find a vod on na'vi's youtube channel. Now, what if you don't know the names of the teams, but your friend recommended the series and you decide you want to watch after all?

This is kind of an unideal setup. I hope valve sets up a separate workshop twitch channel next year, like dota2ti_workshop or something.

I wasn't able to go, so these suggestions are coming purely from someone who watched from home.

Suggestions:
    1. Post a schedule for the workshop presentations, with artist name, presentation title, and times. There are just so many things going on at once, it would help plan how to watch. After games end, I'd pop over to the workshop stream and see if there's anything interesting's on; if an artist went on during the game, I might've missed them. As both a creator and a dota fan, it'd be nice to be able to plan out which games and which presentations to set aside time for.

2. Integrate the workshop panel with the main event. I think the workshop only really appeared in the main event once - even though Kaci said it was one of the most popular places to go!

1. Have the host mention the workshop stream exists every once in a while, kind of like how they mentioned the newbie stream. There were a lot of people who didn't even know about the workshop stream. Personally, my sister and I missed all of Friday due to ignorance... which wouldn't be so bad if we could watch the vods...

2. The workshop stream should be linked from the "stream navigation" toolbar. If you went to twitch.tv to find a link to the workshop stream, it was easy to miss because the low viewer count pushed the link below a bunch of non-ti-related streams.

3. Show highlights from some of the workshop presentations (like concept compilations, high poly sculpts, wips, or animations) on the main stream. There are just a lot of benefits to doing this - for one, there was a lot of time in between matches this time around, and this could give them fresh content to discuss. Also, people really get excited about seeing work in progresses, and it could even inspire more people to get involved in the workshop. And finally, it gives workshop artists more exposure.

3. Emphasize the artists more. Valve's production for pro-players really puts a great deal of effort into getting to know the players so people can relate and connect with them. It makes people care about the scene more. It's a missed opportunity for people to be so distant to the artists behind the sets as well. Strangely, there are only a few artist personalities in the workshop scene - most people are just known as "the guy who made that courier", if even that. We're mostly pretty disconnected from dota.

1. Have artist cards (similar to the pro-player cards)! Give artists a pack of cards that they can distribute, with pictures of their standout items/sets. Maybe the cards could give out a code for the pictured set that already has the autograph gems... Though this might screw too much with the economy. Maybe it could give the loading screen for the card with that artist's signature on it?

2. Start running a yearly competition (like the polycount contest) that culminates at The International. We saw a lot artists break through to the public consciousness through the initial polycount contest, as well as a large influx of completely new artists. The contest kickstarted the workshop completely! It also gives a great incentive to put together a really kickass set, and helps the hype buildup to the main event. Maybe the voting could maybe be incorporated into the compendium or something.

3. Interview a more diverse group of artists. Every International (and outside tournament too), it seems like the same artists get highlights. One exception (that I know of), was the ESL-one tournamnet right before TI4, where there was actually a whole group of artists giving an interview together, and it was seriously the first time i'd seen over half of the artists. There are still artists out there who have been contributing to the workshop since the workshop started who havent gotten much recognition for it.

4. Communication with valve. Would love to have a workshop panel with valve artists to ask questions. They could discuss design philosophy or direction of the workshop!

5. The TI4 secret shop merchandise expansion was great this year. I really liked how artists and designers could contribute something to dota too. :O I hope this continues next year.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    foxclover wrote: »

Have artist cards (similar to the pro-player cards)! Give artists a pack of cards that they can distribute, with pictures of their standout items/sets. Maybe the cards could give out a code for the pictured set that already has the autograph gems... Though this might screw too much with the economy. Maybe it could give the loading screen for the card with that artist's signature on it?

This is more or less what happened with the economy cards, those who did have one received quite a few. I believe between us Red Moon guys we got at least 150 over the course of the four days. During our Showcase booth we would actually do a rock/scissor/paper battle to decide if they win a card, or if we ran into someone that recognized our work, or cosplayed it we'd usually hand one out to them. Mostly everyone also wanted us to autograph said cards, overall it was pretty cool and works just how you described. Now, the problem was that not everyone who was signed up as a workshop artist and given a booth had this privliage, while others who did, weren't at the event.

While this may seem a bit harsh, I feel that this type of opportunity should be given to those who actually make the trek out to seattle to participate in the event. It's understandable that complications can arise and original plans of going can be cancelled, but it was a bit dissapointing to see several artist at the event not have an eco card. It harps back to previous internationals when there was a disparity between those artist that were invited and those who weren't, this is one thing I hope can be improved upon if/when Valve decides to revisit the workshop section at the international.

If I were to offer my own suggestion, I feel it could have been better to simply bundle the cards on the secret shop in the respective chest they were placed into later in the online store. Rather then buying a specific set or item, you receive a genuine version of that chest functioning the same way as the normal chest, possbily tying them to contributor created merchandise like wall scrolls, posters, mousepads, etc, similar to the sculptor's pillar chest. While simultaneously creating a number of cards for the sole purpose of giving away with the specific item the artist created. This could possibly create a fun scavenger hunt for those who want to track down the artist to get all the individual cards.

Regardless of my suggestions, (tl;dr) my biggest issue with the way these eco cards were handled was not everyone who was present at the event, who signed up for the workshop booth, and even did live demos, received the privilege of having one of these cards for their own work which put them at a severe disadvantage to those that did, and that doesn't even include the monetary gain that some of us did receive because of them. Maybe if Valve had more time it wouldn't have been so much of an issue, but nevertheless I'm making a note of this.
  • SemiColonThree
    Imo i think the cards in the store should be new exclusive sets that cannot be bought till post ti4.

and if people want older sets they can come to the booth and do the scans like they did last year.
  • Coyo.Te
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te polycounter lvl 4
    I stayed at home aswell and enjoyed the stream alot. I think the dota2ti_noob stream was an awesome start since its really nice for people who dont know dota 2 jump in and not get overconfused buy the complexity of the game.

I wish for more "around the tournament" content. It felt more at TI3. I like to get a feel of the venue, whats going on aside of the mainstage, in the workshop area, interviews and such, it be awesome to be able to get more of that for the ones staying at home.

I think the webpresence needs rethinking. It was overall not bad, but I think there could be somethings added, like said schedule. It is quite possible to actually translate times for events already to local time, and if not a time table or a timezone calculator on the site. Put up a schedule for workshop artist presentation aswell, a dedicated stream would be nice. AND -> proper audio for the workshop presentation would be rad!

Apart from that, i really loved to watch, for the games I jumped ingame eventually since twitchstreams sometimes crashed but overall an awesome event
  • Konras
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    For me the matches were to close to each other.
    Sometimes it felt there were only 5 minutes between games. They should make definitely more space between games to squeeze there everything that is taking place around or show some highlights from workshop for example.

Sometimes panel started to talking about given topic and suddenly countdown was starting to tick. It was shame that when Anuxi and Tvidotto appeared on panel they weren't able to say much because game was about to start.
    Also for people at TI4 it would be easier for sure to go to toilet between matches haha :D
  • Coyo.Te
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te polycounter lvl 4
    I thought about the tight schedule aswell and the only solution i came up with was make the international a 1 week mainevent festival! yay ^^ i'd love that, my wife wouldnt though, but i'd love that
  • bewsii
    Offline / Send Message
    bewsii polycounter lvl 9
    While I think 1 week would definitely be convenient in terms of spreading out the events, it would also cost people a lot more money to participate if it lasted 3 more days. Hotels in Seattle aren't very cheap, so unless you're able to split a room with a few people, it can get costly.

I didn't attend, but I came to the Polycount meetup since I'm local. It was fun meeting new people. I think next year I'll make the full event so I can get more involved in the community as I plan to make a lot more dota items now.

Thanks to r13 for putting it together, and Bounch for being the official greeter :D
  • heboltz3
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    I just want more Zip background cameos. I have photo album going.
  • hopgood
    Offline / Send Message
    hopgood polycounter lvl 12
    I attended the International this year and besides the issues I had it was a great event to meet some fans and put faces to the names of some great Workshop artists. As a lesser known Workshop artist it was also great to meet people who really recognised your work and supported you. I would of been happy if one person wanted my autograph, but doing signings non-stop for 2 hours was an amazing feeling. Anyway, in regards to the critiques;

1) Planning before the event. This was handled pretty poorly, there was a tonne of misinformation spreading around before the event as to who had access to what, where people were going or what we were even doing. Eventually it ended up working out quite well but I think a more structured sign up and involvement process would go a long way to alleviate some of these issues. It was also pretty hard to know what we could do even at the event. I didn't know which suite was the contributor suite or when we could enter until I basically followed Ike and Zip around like a puppy for the afternoon.

I had also emailed Derrick about having my partner get access to the suites so that we could actually watch some games together. I was told it wasn't possible but at the event there were some other workshop artists who had their partners up there watching games. But Derrick was awesome and scored her a production pass so that was a total :thumbup: in that respect.

2) Emails. There needs to be some sort of spreadsheet or database for the process of emailing information to and from Workshop artists before the event. I personally missed out on 3 crucial emails from Valve staff that I had to chase down myself, I;
    1. Almost never received my Contributor badge as it didn't get sent to the printers with the other. It was only by chance when I saw other people had seen proofs of their badges that I emailed Derrick and managed to get mine sent
    2. I signed up for a Showcase station at the event but never received a schedule until 2-3 days before the actual event when I emailed to find out what was happening. It was lucky I was on the Sunday, if I had been earlier it wouldn't of given much prep time.
    3. I never received a poster. Many of the artists at the Showcase had these amazing posters behind them with their great art. It was a very catching and visual way to associate which artist was currently at that station. I never received the email about sending in art to have these completed and by the time I got to the event and asked about them it was too late to have anything printed.

3) Economy Cards. I was not invited to create an economy card for my work. While I didn't have a large issue with this initially it meant that you didn't have anything to give away to people once you ran out of your personal prints. I had a large percentage of people ask me at my Showcase station if they could have a card and it was pretty disappointing to tell them I didn't have one. I would of been happy to work with Valve to create something specifically for the Card as some artists did if I had known about them ahead of time.

As an aside, not having a card to sign for people meant dropping a pretty decent amount of money on prints, pins and badges in order to have something to give to people and sign. I know lots of other artists had both but for me personally it was a pretty expensive trip by the time you factor in the costs of the printing, travel, accommodation, secret shop and so on without having the knowledge of offsetting the costs with some of the money from the Economy Card sales.

4) Tutorials. These seemed like a great idea and the people who presented did an amazing job but it also seemed quite difficult. The spread of knowledge amongst people watching them was pretty high and the time line was quite short. As someone who really enjoys competitive Dota it was also quite hard to find time to support new friends but also catch some of the best games of the week. I wouldn't be surprised if they discontinue elements of the tutorial area for next year, it was a great idea but I am not sure if it had the impact they really wanted.

As for the exposure, I can't speak for the streamers but at the event in between every game they advertised the timetable for the day and who was doing what. The Workshop area was really nicely placed in a main thoroughfare too which meant that between games the attendance at both the Showcase and Tutorial areas went up a lot.

There were also a lot of positives I will take away from the event. I got to meet a lot of great artists and people who share a common interest. A big thanks to the Red Moon guys for organising the Pub meet on Saturday too. My showcase station was next to Kunkka which was a pretty great feeling and even greater when you benefit from his signature lineup overflow. A big shout out to Derrick for the great work he did that week. It must of been a lot of stress to take on that amount of work but after the first day they got into a nice rhythm and things seemed a lot smoother. Big shout out to his mad beats he dropped at the afterparty too...

fhg72Sm.gif
  • foxclover
    Konras wrote: »
    For me the matches were to close to each other.
    Sometimes it felt there were only 5 minutes between games. They should make definitely more space between games to squeeze there everything that is taking place around or show some highlights from workshop for example.

Sometimes panel started to talking about given topic and suddenly countdown was starting to tick. It was shame that when Anuxi and Tvidotto appeared on panel they weren't able to say much because game was about to start.
    Also for people at TI4 it would be easier for sure to go to toilet between matches haha :D

That's true, the panels were sometimes very short. I just remember them talking in circles about eg for 45 minutes the night they lost, and then again the day after... even talking about "whether they can prove themselves worhty of the aegis". It was kind of strange they were focusing so much on an eliminated team, and not so much on the teams lining up for the finals. I figured they ran out of stuff to talk about, especially with that awkward sheever bit ("newbee is going to win. (james: why?) they're better"). rofl.
    Regardless of my suggestions, (tl;dr) my biggest issue with the way these eco cards were handled was not everyone who was present at the event, who signed up for the workshop booth, and even did live demos, received the privilege of having one of these cards for their own work which put them at a severe disadvantage to those that did, and that doesn't even include the monetary gain that some of us did receive because of them. Maybe if Valve had more time it wouldn't have been so much of an issue, but nevertheless I'm making a note of this.

Oh cool, didn't realize there were artist cards! Useful to get feedback from someone who was at the event. That sucks that some people didn't have their own cards... What would you think of giving cards to the artists who put together a presentation?

More suggestions/comments unrelated to workshop issues:
    1. Add subtitles to the prepared videos. I also watched a bit of the chinese panels too in between games. I noticed the chinese casters tend to talk over the videos that are shown - there werent subtitles provided, so... for a non-english speaking audience, the team profile segments really didn't have the same impact as it did on the main stream.

2. Diversify panel discussion. I also felt like the chinese panelists did a better job on this overall. The subjects they talked about were more varied, and less focused on pure TI results. On the last day of the tournament, they told anecdotes about the players (like how loda bought out the secret shop last year and threw shirts into the crowd), they talked about tournament results throughout the year, and speculated on the future of teams (eg and dk). They expressed their condolences to mvp, and talked about how it would've been nice for more countries to be represented at a tournament called "the international". They discussed their favorite and standout players, and who surprised them (c9.bone7 and empire.mag). They even talked about the allstar match and the techies surprise. It was a nice wrap up of the event.

Meanwhile, the english cast was doing their weird eg circlejerk... it felt like they weren't prepared for eg to NOT go to the finals.

3. Go back to the TI2 method of interviewing chinese players! Having a translator slows down responses, and you can't have a natural conversation with the player. People complain about how they can't get to know the chinese players and how they all seem like robots... and i think the translator forces them into a "question and answer" mode. This format is doing them no favors! If the concern is about "collecting telephones", the interviews could be broadcast late, instead of live... and it'd still be an improvement.

Hope to hear more from people who made it to the event. :D
  • Frump
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    I was at the event. All in all it went very well. The biggest thing I could see being improved upon for the workshop is swag/content for all of the workshop artists to give out during their showcase time.

It became necessary for everyone doing a booth to run to a print shop and print out hundreds of sheets of paper to sign, which actually ended up being kind of expensive. It also took quite a bit of time to put together the images and print. I missed Cloud9's last series while trying to get my printouts together. :(

I think that could easily be solved with something like the signature system from last year, which was really popular. Every booth would have a barcode scanner and the barcode scanner gives out one of our items (with signature) to people who come along and get scanned. Maybe even just a digital signature if we have econ cards in the store, so people could pair them up. Combining that with whatever pins and prints we have, I think everyone would get a lot of people showing up to see them and their work.

One other weird thing was a lot of inconsistency with names being printed on the badges. Some people had their online name and real name, some people just had real name. It made it slightly more difficult when introducing myself to only have my real name on there.

Getting to meet a bunch of fans and sign stuff and watch presentations, all of that was pretty amazing. The big wall printouts and the overall setup of the stage and showcase areas worked well. The access we had at the event was good. Made for a great year.
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    @SemiColonThree
    No, that only leads to bad things. We saw it last year and we saw it this year: If you artificially limit something such as this, the perceived value of it goes way up which leads to people buying and reselling the items at horrendous prices.

@Vayne
    I heard that all workshop artists who got to TI had to pay for their tickets and hotels. They might not be as popular as Pro players but I believe they complement the event very nicely and could have offloaded that part off their backs. I don't need to state the contribution of workshop artists to the Dota 2 economy and business model.

I don't think that's necessary for two reasons. 1) if next year, every attending contributor gets an economy card, it will offset the cost of the flight+stay anyways and 2) (and I realize this sounds snobbish) it acts as a gating mechanism in the sens that you have to have had some success in order to make it to TI.
    Those who attended got stronger following and presence vs those who didn't. Can something be done to balance that out? Or Valve has no intention to have some sort of retention plans for Dota 2 artists? An idea along that line is have artists who won't be attending TI to provide some of their material and showcase it somehow with help from Valve. The material can be WIPs, existing workshop content, guides, Q&A...etc.

To be honest, I haven't noticed any increase in following besides other workshop artists who I met in person as a result of this. I'm all for the idea of artists who can't or won't attend to be able to submit artwork though to be displayed around the halls, only polished/submitted/accepted stuff though.
    We who didn't get an invite, didn't get much items in game and still continue working on stuff have gotten no word from Valve and makes us feel that we do not exist and are not of their interest. Which really makes no sense to me. If Valve are promoting workshop artists in TI, then they want more people to hop in? Or did they have another intention? If it was the former, some feedback, direct or indirect, to tell us that Valve cares for us all and not TI attendees could go along way in terms of encouragement. In the end, it isn't a promise to get stuff in, but more along the lines "we are watching, we care, keep on improving!

That's pretty much what everybody, Valve or otherwise, that I met said.

@foxclover
    Post a schedule for the workshop presentations, with artist name, presentation title, and times. There are just so many things going on at once, it would help plan how to watch. After games end, I'd pop over to the workshop stream and see if there's anything interesting's on; if an artist went on during the game, I might've missed them. As both a creator and a dota fan, it'd be nice to be able to plan out which games and which presentations to set aside time for.

They had the times for the talks running up on the big screen 100% between games (it wasnt accurate after the first day though :/ ) . I guess there wasn't one online?
    Start running a yearly competition (like the polycount contest) that culminates at The International. We saw a lot artists break through to the public consciousness through the initial polycount contest, as well as a large influx of completely new artists. The contest kickstarted the workshop completely! It also gives a great incentive to put together a really kickass set, and helps the hype buildup to the main event. Maybe the voting could maybe be incorporated into the compendium or something.

I actually talked to some people about that, and as much as I'd like to see that, the problem is that there's no incentive to do it since at this point it just isn't needed. The initial Polycount contest served to kickstart the workshop and at this point, all it would do is generate extra work for Valve around the time of the International.

Things that I'd like to see:
    1. Dedicated ti5_workshop stream that just runs the whole time and if there's no presentations going on, just shows the workshop area so people can just _know_ about it. The whole stream was a spur of the moment kind of deal I think so it's definitely something that can be included in the planning next year.
    2. Badges having real name + ingame name, ingame (or persona) featured more prominently.
    3. Derrick's wife had the idea of doing a 'Side Shop' for only economy cards and connecting it to the workshop somehow.
    4. A muted stream of the games at the workshop that allowed people to watch both the games and the workshop.
    5. Reworking the economy cards to something along the lines of this: Have chests with all the items at TI in them sold on the store (non-genuine). Have genuine versions sold via economy cards at the Secret shop. Allow genuine cards to be scanned at the workshop area by their creator (before they are redeemed obviously) to create a genuine version WITH a signature, creating 3 levels of rarity. This allows people who just want the items to get them without having to pay outrageous scalper prices and allows people who want unique items for attending to get them or even go the extra mile for the even more unique version.
  • ike_ike
    Offline / Send Message
    ike_ike polycounter lvl 12
    on a totally unrelated note, i think the hero cards that came with the card pack could be reworked to give them an actual use. like collect them all and obtain a bonus item or something. cause at the moment they're basically just a convenient way of collecting signatures.

unless you're that one guy with the really really sweet card album
  • Hexadecimal
    Offline / Send Message
    Hexadecimal polycounter lvl 2
    I was absolutely starstruck meeting all of the other contributors and just had an all around great time. Thanks for being your friendly selves. It went a long way to quelling my personal stresses about being new and inexperienced.

My only complaints would have to be how late the invites were sent out to us. Hawf and I never expected to be invited and it didn't give us a whole lot of time to get prepared. I don't know how many people heard our passport horror story, but Hawf only received his passport two days before we had to leave for TI. I don't know if other people got invited before us, but it would have much less stressful if we had had more time.

The workshop stream can definitely be improved. The audio and even the video was dropping periodically at the beginning at least. Obviously it can't be helped, technical troubles happen, but if the stream was indeed spur of the moment then I'm sure they do better next year. I had no idea that the stream recordings were behind a paywall, but I think that needs to change.

In terms of economy cards, I like Spudnik's idea of the three level of rarities. Maybe instead of having some kind of scanning mechanism, the contributors could just have the rare autographed versions of the economy cards to give away? I feel like it might be easier that way but I could be very wrong.

Also I'll be saving that gif of Derrick, that's fantastic. I suggest that he DJ the afterparty next year and every year after that.
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    In terms of economy cards, I like Spudnik's idea of the three level of rarities. Maybe instead of having some kind of scanning mechanism, the contributors could just have the rare autographed versions of the economy cards to give away? I feel like it might be easier that way but I could be very wrong.

The problem with that is that you'll get people coming for just the items as an alternative to the secret shop except that there's no revenue for the artists. and you don't wanna sell em at the booth (as opposed to giving them out) because then you'll just be a glorified vendor.
  • Hexadecimal
    Offline / Send Message
    Hexadecimal polycounter lvl 2
    Spudnik wrote: »
    The problem with that is that you'll get people coming for just the items as an alternative to the secret shop except that there's no revenue for the artists. and you don't wanna sell em at the booth (as opposed to giving them out) because then you'll just be a glorified vendor.

That's a good point, though we were giving them away all weekend anyways. Maybe organize a swap? Trade an unused economy card for a autographed unused economy card?

The only other issue I would see would be a seriously limited supply of autographed cards, instead of a possible indefinite number of scanned-and-upgraded cards. Which could be a good or bad thing.
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    That's a good point, though we were giving them away all weekend anyways. Maybe organize a swap? Trade an unused economy card for a autographed unused economy card?

The only other issue I would see would be a seriously limited supply of autographed cards, instead of a possible indefinite number of scanned-and-upgraded cards. Which could be a good or bad thing.

The supply isn't unlimited, it's how many cards are sold at the secret shop. And since we're all only human, by the end of TI, there would be something like 500ish autographed cards floating around which is a drop in the bucket compared to 9mil active players. Rarity would be guaranteed.

As for the trading, not sure about that, it's firstly giving something away, not receiving something. I think the scanning works pretty elegantly in 'upgrading' something, allowing people to make something they already have better through their own work. As far as I recall, the people who were at TI3 were quite positive about the whole scanning thing.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the scanning works pretty elegantly in 'upgrading' something, allowing people to make something they already have better through their own work. As far as I recall, the people who were at TI3 were quite positive about the whole scanning thing.

As great as the whole scanning process was, there is a reason we didn't see it return this year. Also, can you explain how that whole scanning thing would even work considering codes are preassigned to specific items and printed ahead of times. Digitally scanning an analog code to alter it's state doesn't even seem remotely possible.

To be honest, I didn't like the scanning at all. I mean, it was convenient, but it really felt like these pros and workshop artist were becoming store clerks scanning merchandise as it was coming down the conveyor belt. Doing codes allowed us to not be restricted to set times at booths chained to a scanner. It allowed us to freely walk around, engage in conversations spontaneously while handing out 'goodies' to the fans. It was a much more personal experience that way.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, time for me to contribute!

Invitations
    I feel the weakest part of the whole Workshop/TI was the process behind making it originally open, then invite only, then back to open invite. The lack of communitcation from valve left many of us wondering what the hell was honestly going on. Needless to say, the whole invitation process was very messy this year. Hopefully next year things get sorted out and it becomes a bit more of a transparent process. But that also requires a bit more communication from valve. I'd also like to see it tied in better with the eco cards, but you can read all about those in that section.

Workshop Viewing Boxes
    It was great that we had viewing boxes to watch the games, but at times it was a bit difficult to watch the games with everyone given the boxes that were 'assigned' to workshoppers were also shared by other VIPs. It's a small note, but having dicated viewing boxes for workshop artist would be great so we can enjoy the games with everyone. Again, it's a small note, but I felt that I should mention it reguardless.

Economy Cards
    Now this is one that is important to me given the gravity of what these stand for. Since these were sold in the store it was easy to say that they recouped a lot of the cost of the stuff many of us were given away as well as providing something extra ingame that we were able to give away as well. But not everyone had this opportunity.

I'll just quote what I wrote earlier about the cards here;
    This is more or less what happened with the economy cards, those who did have one received quite a few. I believe between us Red Moon guys we got at least 150 over the course of the four days. During our Showcase booth, we would do a rock/scissor/paper battle to decide if they win a card, or if we ran into someone that recognized our work, or cosplayed it we'd usually hand one out to them. Mostly everyone also wanted us to autograph said cards, overall it was pretty cool and works just how you described. Now, the problem was that not everyone who was signed up as a workshop artist and given a booth had this privilege, while others who did, weren't at the event.

While this may seem a bit harsh, I feel that this type of opportunity should be given to those who make the trek out to Seattle to participate in the event. It's understandable that complications can arise, and original plans of going can be cancelled, but it was a bit disappointing to see several artist at the event not have an eco card. It harps back to previous internationals when there was a disparity between those artists that we're invited and those who weren't, this is one thing I hope can be improved upon if/when Valve decides to revisit the workshop section at the international.

If I were to offer my own suggestion, I feel it could have been better to simply bundle the cards on the secret shop in the respective chest they were placed into later in the online store. Rather than buying a specific set or item, you receive a genuine version of that chest functioning the same way as the normal chest, possibility tying them to contributor created merchandise like wall scrolls, posters, mousepads, etc., similar to the sculptor's pillar chest. While simultaneously creating a number of cards for the sole purpose of giving away with a specific item, the artist created. This could create a fun scavenger hunt for those who want to track down the artist to get all the individual cards.

And from Spudnik's post;
    Derrick's wife had the idea of doing a 'Side Shop' for only economy cards and connecting it to the workshop somehow.

I think the idea of a Side Shop is fantastic; it would almost act as a physical offline dota 2 store. If something like this were to happen, let it be located somewhat near or within the workshop area of TI5, selling eco cards in the workshop area would only pull in more people to that area, as well as spur interest to meet the creators of these cards.

Showcase Booths
    The showcase booths were fantastic, they were lots of fun and interacting with fans in person was great! One thing that I noticed however was on the third day the second group of artist at the showcase decided to continue on in their repective booth which made it impossible for any other artist to jump in on that third day. While these booths were 'open' and they did nothing wrong, I feel that a small improvement can be made to prevent artist from going back to back in order to get more artist to showcase in a given day providing a wider range of variety. The only other thing I can think of is more booths, there were lots of artist this year, lets get even more next year! Of course that comes down to the scale and size of the workshop area, but if that were possible, it would be great to see.

Workshop Demo Station
    The demo station was great and seeing fellow workshoppers on stage was cool and inspiring to both myself and lot of fans watching. I talked with a few attendees that were inspired to jump into the workshop and start learning these tools themselves. I think the only real improvement to that station is better to coordinate the streaming aspect of it. This year it was done as an afterthought at the last second, but the response to streaming was great. I feel that next year if there was a dedicated channel for the station streaming live it would be great. Like others already mentioned, a Dota2ti_workshop channel.

If I think of anything else I'l; make sure to update this! Cheers!
  • Prophet9
    Offline / Send Message
    Prophet9 polycounter lvl 9
    I would like to say that I had a fantastic time at TI4. It was great to meet those of you who could attend and to meet the fans, players and Valve staff. I can only reiterate the positive sentiments of the posters earlier in the thread. This was my first time attending and I personally felt that Valve did a fantastic job of accommodating the workshop artists. I am grateful for the opportunity that I had during my time there.

I was not "invited" to TI4 - so I knew going in, well in advance that I would not be able to partake in the secret shop. I knew that I would have to provide my own things to give away, and to provide my own showcase booth material.
    As it turns out - except for the Economy Cards - there was very little difference in workshop "privilege" (if you can call it that) compared to myself and those invited, at least to my knowledge.

We all had access to the Showcase booths. We had access to the VIP suites, VIP access to the arena itself and access to the Players Lounge. I had the opportunity to demonstrate on the main workshop stage - basically everything that I had asked for plus some.
    All of the Valve staff (especially DerrickG) treated us equally as far as I could tell (Econ cards notwithstanding), and it was a fantastic experience. In all cases, they went out of their way to assist with any problems we may have had.

Economy Cards:

The other posters have covered these well, but here goes anyway.
    Keeping in mind my points above, my own feelings were... a sense of separation. :) Less of a complaint... more of a faint wistful longing :poly121: However, various people asked me many times if I had a card and it would have been great to hand something out like that, in addition to my own prints and buttons.
    I did get impression that only a few of us did not have a card - almost all of the showcase booth artists had one (shout-out to my non-econ card bearing brethren :D).
    And then there were some who weren't able to attend at all who also had cards sold in the secret shop... but I understand that timing, cost and visa issues prevented some from coming, with little notice to Valve (I am uncertain they would or could change anything anyway at that point).

Moreover - making people play rock-paper-scissors for econ cards seemed like too much fun (Vlad is a master of the game by the way - you would do well to avoid playing against him, he's damned near psychic).

Communication:

I guess if there were any other issue, it would be communication (again haha).
    For example: Initially there was an invite to dinner for those who were actually "invited". Lennyagony, Ike and I decided to "crash" the dinner party (after finally being told by... Spudnik I think... to come anyway). As it turned out, I think they expected everyone to show up anyway, and I am glad we did... they had all of our contributor passes with them to hand out, and the experience of the evening was wonderful. However, until we showed up, there was still uncertainty whether or not we should actually be going. Some of us were not privy to the invite email regarding all of this.

So - in closing - I'd like to thank Valve for the VIP access, opportunity of the workshop area, and helping to get us in front of the fans.
    To everyone I met, it was an awesome time.
    Next year is likely to be even better (and fewer to a room I think) :)

Cheers.

Oh and P.S. (cause that was awesome):

fhg72Sm.gif
  • bounchfx
    To preface; I had an amazing time this year. Really glad so many people were able to make it out to the event. I look forward to seeing people again next year and hopefully we have an even bigger turnout.

I don't have a lot to write, I think a lot has been covered so far. There's a couple small points.

- Open to all workshoppers with submissions. Sign up sheets before the event with plenty of time for workshoppers to send in their info.

- If we do workshop 'stations' again next year (which we should - they turned out great), it would be fantastic if Valve could help with the printing so everyone there is prepared in the same format, we could all share a template then send it over to Valve to have available for us upon arrival or when we start our stations

- workshop-only viewing suites would be awesome. I think this was already covered, and we did have one, but a lot of the time it was filled with nonshoppers.

- would be cool if the econ cards were slightly different/open to everyone officially 'attending', etc. Lots of great notes about this above.

honestly, it was handled super well. Loved the entire set up. Can't wait till next year.
  • bewsii
    Offline / Send Message
    bewsii polycounter lvl 9
    I definitely agree with Bounch on the workshoppers being alowed to come based on having submissions in the game and registering ahead of time, not just the most popular. This section of TI should be about supporting the artists, not making the most popular even more popular.
  • heboltz3
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx wrote: »
    - workshop-only viewing suites would be awesome.

Please. This would be the icing on the cake, and a HUGE extra incentive for those to come out to Seattle.
  • ike_ike
    Offline / Send Message
    ike_ike polycounter lvl 12
    i don't think that's really gonna be much of a big deal except for the finals. was a lot more fun lurking about the workshop area, plus there was usually loads of space in the gold curtain room.
  • hopgood
    Offline / Send Message
    hopgood polycounter lvl 12
    Prophet9 wrote: »
    For example: Initially there was an invite to dinner for those who were actually "invited". Lennyagony, Ike and I decided to "crash" the dinner party (after finally being told by... Spudnik I think... to come anyway). As it turned out, I think they expected everyone to show up anyway, and I am glad we did... they had all of our contributor passes with them to hand out, and the experience of the evening was wonderful. However, until we showed up, there was still uncertainty whether or not we should actually be going. Some of us were not privy to the invite email regarding all of this.

Haha, I think this speaks to the communication failures when I only found out about this Dinner now.

I actually think a formalised meet and greet at the very least the morning of the first day next year would be great to meet other Workshop Artists ahead of time. Some people (DrySocket, Chemical Alia and more) were so busy with signings that I only managed to really meet them at the after party.
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    @Helenek
    As great as the whole scanning process was, there is a reason we didn't see it return this year. Also, can you explain how that whole scanning thing would even work considering codes are preassigned to specific items and printed ahead of times. Digitally scanning an analog code to alter it's state doesn't even seem remotely possible.

Exactly, a specific digital item is assigned to a specific card with a number on it. Print a barcode on that card and scanning it will allow you to uniquely identify it. Then you set up a system whereby if it's scanned by the items creator, it gets tagged in the system as the 'upgraded' version of the item that includes a signature, only for unredeemed cards of course. When it's redeemed, the person then gets the signed genuine version where by default all the other cards are standard genuine.
    To be honest, I didn't like the scanning at all. I mean, it was convenient, but it really felt like these pros and workshop artist were becoming store clerks scanning merchandise as it was coming down the conveyor belt. Doing codes allowed us to not be restricted to set times at booths chained to a scanner. It allowed us to freely walk around, engage in conversations spontaneously while handing out 'goodies' to the fans. It was a much more personal experience that way.

Yeah, that's a valid point. Could be solved by maybe having you pre-scan a bunch of cards to hand out. I just really like the idea of people having a chance to add value to their items by going the extra mile and finding their favorite artists to personalize their items.

@bounch
    - If we do workshop 'stations' again next year (which we should - they turned out great), it would be fantastic if Valve could help with the printing so everyone there is prepared in the same format, we could all share a template then send it over to Valve to have available for us upon arrival or when we start our stations

Eh, I think if we knew ahead of time, we could have easily set that one up ourselves. Just turned hectic because it was a spur-of-the-moment thing and we didn't know what we were doing ^^
  • Ziedrich
    heboltz3 wrote: »
    Please. This would be the icing on the cake, and a HUGE extra incentive for those to come out to Seattle.

We had access to all the Valve suites. This was FAR more than icing.
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Ziedrich wrote: »

And we had access to the Player's Lounge which had free food and drinks that were often out of stock in the suites upstairs. Having our own contributor suite would be nice but definitely isn't necessary.
  • heboltz3
    Offline / Send Message
    Ziedrich wrote: »

What a sweet treat!