Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Kingdom Death Miniature: The Architect (Slightly NSFW)

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
Hey Guys,

Thought I would drop this all together in one thread and answer any questions about the process here as well.

You might have caught some of the shots in waywo but if not here she is!

She is my 5th Miniature for Kingdom Death - I think she will go into production at about 37mm tall from the feet to the eyes.

kingdom_death__architect_wip_1_by_hyperdivine-d4ntw09.jpg

kingdom_death__architect_wip_2_by_hyperdivine-d4o2vie.jpg

kingdom_death__architect_wip_3_by_hyperdivine-d4o33jt.jpg

kingdom_death__architect_wip_4_by_hyperdivine-d4o9r2l.jpg

kingdom_death__architect_wip_5_by_hyperdivine-d4oaiag.jpg

kingdom_death__architect_wip_6_by_hyperdivine-d4ola3t.jpg

kingdom_death__architect_by_hyperdivine-d4opbsy.jpg

If you want to know more about Kingdom Death : http://kingdomdeath.com/ Beware tho some stuff is more NSFW than this sculpture!

I hope you guys like it, and again if theres any questions drop them in here!

Replies

• disanski
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    Amazing work man :)
    I don't have any particular questions, but if you have time could you explain what specific steps you have to take in order to make this "print friendly". Is everything just one mesh, is there a polycount limit .. not even sure what else should be important as i have never printed anything yet.
    What other figures did you worked on - I just checked the kingdom of death site and all of them look sick and on a side note not all that expensive at all :)
    Thanks man.
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Brilliant work on this, perfect proportions and funky get-up. Love to see anything else your cooking up for this.
  • blamblam
    awesome sculpt! you mind sharing your workflow / references?
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    that's a silly ass shirt, but the model looks great!
  • Joshflighter
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
    Sexeh!

Now the real question is: Will they bounce?
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    That is one wonky ass weapon, but god damn... them thighs!
  • pseudoBug
    Offline / Send Message
    pseudoBug polycounter lvl 18
    Nice to see a girl with some meat on her bones and some curves!

Do you know where these are being printed, btw?
  • Hazardous
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski: Good question man. Basically yeah the model has to be watertight. I always think of it like drilling a hole in the top of the model and filling it with water, if water is going to leak out anywhere, you need to plug those spaces.

It doesnt have to be all one mesh, but I generally make her into a few subtools. For this model in particular we are printing the whole torso, the weapon + weapon arm up to the elbow, the head / helmet and the base as seperate pieces. So if you buy her, youll see 4 pieces on the sprue all laid out in a row :)

There are no polycount limits - she is roughly 5 million polys - no need for more at this scale. Its best to chat with your printers about these limits - as massive stl files can get out of control very quickly!

The Other KD sculpts I did:

The White Speaker
    The Preacher
    The Twilight Knight
    The Forsaker

itismario: thanks brah!

Lazerus Reborn: thats it for me for this print - onto the next one! Its all up to the good people of the world to paint her and do as they will,
    ill post up some links to these finished paints once they start coming in!

Blamblam: Im not certain that the ilustration has been released yet, but I'll be sure to do that when it has! Its a concept by Lokman Lam.

As for the workflow, I have a base tposed mesh that I will use to block in all the shapes I can ( following the pics above you will see ) Usually i will roughly sculpt something for example her leggings in zbrush using primitives or dynamesh - then fire it out to 3dcoat for a quick retopo and then import that back into zbrush for a nicer subdivide.

I keep doing that to proxy the whole model out. Make sure to keep all subdivision history on all subtools, because once thats all done, I use transpose master to pose the model!

Once shes posed, I will add any dynamic looking things or movement related things to fit the pose, like the cape - you can see in the images above that to begin with i kind of slopped in a rough cape shape.... then it progress to a more swept up verion then finally a big thick wafty kind of cape.

After that i give her a once over from top to bottom, cleaning up edges, making sure details are deep / strong enough. I check measurements making sure nothing is too thin to print, and i also look for holes and other areas that might be problematic to print.

Once thats done, I have to cut her up into her pieces ( i will post this image if i get permission ) In this case shes being cut at the neck, and at the elbow of her weapon arm. I use masking and groupsplit / fill holes to make cuts and cap the ends.

Thats about it!

Alberto Rdrgz: Her armor class is way higher with that, than it would be with a plate armor chest. Fact.

Joshflighter: Hahah I can only wish!!

darbeenbo: I actually completely agree with you on that hahah!! I have absolutely no idea how she would fight or what she would do with it. Probaby swing it like some kinda scythe?!

pseudoBug: I think Adam will be giving all the info out about where he gets everything done shortly - I'll be sure to update the thread with the info when he does!
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    Her armor class is way higher with that, than it would be with a plate armor chest. Fact.

hahaha :D
  • seforin
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    9137635.jpg

loving the proportions on this, you dont see those more thick kinda girls modeled out. Keep Dat Ass/Hips thing going :p
  • Illusive
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusive polycounter lvl 8
  • I Like Feet
    gorgeous. simply stunning. odd choice of clothing, but it fits with the rest of the series so whateves.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    kinda wish you'd kept one ongoing thread for all these, but I guess it's easier for people to focus on a single piece this way.

Awesome sexy job as always Haz-man, thanks for sharing :)
  • Hazardous
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys!
    kinda wish you'd kept one ongoing thread for all these, but I guess it's easier for people to focus on a single piece this way.

Awesome sexy job as always Haz-man, thanks for sharing :)

Thats a fine idea man... hmmm...

Edit: Oh and before I forget the matcaps are Ralph Stumpf's Sculpy and Light Sculpy and rendered with Shift R (BPR) In zbrush. I still havent figured out all that fancy render stuff in zbrush.. one day...one day!
  • disanski
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    Thanks for the answers man :) I looked again at the rest of the models you made for them and they are all amazing . The White Speaker is my favorite.
  • SimonT
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    looks nice. but i don't understand the armor :D
  • marq4porsche
    Offline / Send Message
    marq4porsche polycounter lvl 9
    Delicious, need I say more?