Home General Discussion

Pay-Pal co founder hands out $100,000 fellowships to not go to college

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2011/05/25/136646918/paypal-co-founder-hands-out-100-000-fellowships-to-not-go-to-college?ft=1&f=1001
Today his Thiel Foundation announced that it was giving 24 people under 20 $100,000 fellowships to drop out of school for two years to start a their own companies.
Looks like more and more people are starting question the time and money pumped into a degree.

I like the general thrust of his argument, students need to wake up, not play it so safe and light the world on fire. But I also think that for just about any mainstream job you need a degree.

I also agree that education is in for a hell of a wake up call at least in the US. For the last few decades the equity in the housing market has been financing higher education. Now that the market has dried up, we'll see a lot more people unable to afford college... Another crash? Probably, but different in many ways, I don't think it will shake the global economy, except that people who want and need to go to college won't be able to. Of course instead of fixing the problem they'll cut deep into things that shouldn't be cut.

So far...
For profit healthcare, leads to problems.
For profit higher ed, leads to problems.
For profit lending, leads to problems.
I see a recurring theme here... It's fine to make money off of services, but when you have a higher duty to society you should be held to a higher degree of scrutiny and a higher standard than a street corner watch salesmen.

Replies

• Orgoth02
    Offline / Send Message
    Orgoth02 polycounter lvl 9
    Here are some other interesting articles reguarding college and if it is worth it.
    http://www.usatoday.com/money/economy/employment/2010-12-06-collegegrads06_ST_N.htm
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/18/recent-college-grads-are-_n_863702.html

The government's figures show there were 2.4 million unemployed people last month with bachelor's degrees and higher.
    The median starting salary for those who graduated between 2006 and 2008 was $30,000. For the 2009 and 2010 grads, it dipped to $27,000. And women graduates continued to make less than men.
  • Tenchi
    Same thing happening in the UK; the cost of higher educ has increased in some cases tenfold, with an average 69 graduartes chasing each job vacancy it doesn't look promising...
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Did he go to college? Did he drop out? Maybe he has issues like some people who never went to college/dropped out of college?

If you are an american who never plans to travel the world and work for extended periods of time (i.e. take that promotion from your existing company that is in the Far East/Europe) then more power to ya, lose out on the amazing college experience. But you might be kicking yourself in 10/20 years.
  • Rai
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    Andreas wrote: »
    Did he go to college? Did he drop out? Maybe he has issues like some people who never went to college/dropped out of college?

If you are an american who never plans to travel the world and work for extended periods of time (i.e. take that promotion from your existing company that is in the Far East/Europe) then more power to ya, lose out on the amazing college experience. But you might be kicking yourself in 10/20 years.

That's a prime example on the view that needs to be changed, heh.
    Sorry, but that's total asshattery.
  • skylebones
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    The guys nuts but I wish those people luck with their businesses.
  • TortillaChips
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    Education seems made just for you to go on to more education, GSCEs are so you advance to A-levels/College, A-levels are so you can advance to a degree. In the end it still feels like i've done nothing.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I completed my degree, and I'm earning more money now because of it. The down side is, I probably didn't need my degree, to do my job. But employers won't consider you, unless you have the degree. So, you can claim the degree is useless, but unless you change the opinions of employers, it won't matter. You'll still need it.

It may be different for the jobs many of you have, but for the regular business world, it is not easy to accomplish much without that piece of paper.

And not everyone can start a successful company.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai wrote: »
    That's a prime example on the view that needs to be changed, heh.
    Sorry, but that's total asshattery.

Feel free to explain how... laws in the vast majorities of countries require a degree for a visa. Are you refuting this? Or did you not read my post.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18

Luckily your wallet will be full of money, thus softening the blow ;)

as far as amazing experiences, i don't think it's worth the $80k of debt it's up to now. I took 2 years of community college courses before going to a 4 year degree - it was the same experience except the people I met in community college were more serious and driven.
  • Orgoth02
    Offline / Send Message
    Orgoth02 polycounter lvl 9
    notman wrote: »
    I completed my degree, and I'm earning more money now because of it.

I am curious. How long will you have to work just to pay off your loans that you took out (if any) to get your degree. Is it profitable in the end?
  • Mark Dygert
    I think he graduated from college but he's saying it didn't actually lead to his success and he hopes that students get out of the mentality of "play it safe, take shelter in the low paying corporate structure and don't act on the good ideas they have because they're too risky"

He clearly says that he doesn't want people to drop out who are looking to play it safe and shoot for the middle class lifestyle with 1.5 children and a house in the burbs.

He's looking for those people that are looking to go to college to start up companies, like he and many other tech giants did, Jobs, Gates, zuckerberg. Those people can skip it and just start innovating.

The group of people he is talking to are not likely to need to move to another country to look for work, they're more likely to move there to start up a factory or take advantage of lower taxes...

What he's saying is, don't cash in your ideas for stability and a mountain of debt. If you think you have what it takes to run your own company and you have great ideas, go for it, you don't need a college telling you, you're a big boy now.
  • moof
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    It's a tragedy that so many kids are going deep into debt early in their life to get a degree that is increasingly less important in the market because of over saturation.

We really need to get back to the idea that going out and doing something, and making things happen, and proving your skills is more important than a piece of paper that says you know stuff.

Hell for me, the most informative part of college for me was being part of a mod team online.

I would say I agree with this dude... let kids go out and figure out their skills, instead of institutionalizing them and pumping out cookie cutter know-littles with a degree.
  • Del
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    ~ Gotta agree with Andreas. If I didn't get my degree, I'd pretty much be closed to the idea of ever working abroad in the future.

It was my primary reason for getting that piece of paper. How else would I hope to get a work Visa? I'm not a millionaire, and I'm not some mail order bride.
  • Mark Dygert
    Hboybowen wrote: »
    Yes but money moves everything. So with or without college you need start-up money.
    If people will give you 200k to sit on your ass in a classroom and become a theater major, when they know your prospects so bleak, you can find someone willing to give you a small business loan. Especially when you don't need 200k or even 100k to start a business.

In fact student loans can work over your virgin credit and ruin it faster than declaring bankruptcy, making it harder for you to get a business loan. When are you going to apply for that business loan? After you pay off your student loans? After you buy a house? After your kids are through college? Is anyone really going to pay you enough so that you'll leave them and start up your own competing company? Are you going to live with mom and dad until your 50 in order to scrape together enough cash to finally start things up?

You also don't need a degree to write up a business proposal. You might be a computer science major and never learn how to put one together. You have a degree so obviously you are qualified to start a business. Only business majors can put a business proposal together? Does any of that actually stop you from starting up a company? No.

It's something anyone can do and more people need to do it and get out of the current mindset. Sure its not for everyone but a lot of people might just ignore their ideas and drudge on through life if someone didn't say "hey, hold on a sec think about this".

The idea that the only way to earn a decent living is through a degree, is what they're trying to break down. College is good for a lot of people true, the few they're trying to attract are the few that don't need to go and are wasting their time and their money.

You can also start out small and grow like most companies do. No where is that more pervasive than in our industry. There are a lot of people who started up studios, made it successful and are reaping the rewards and some of them are doing it without college degrees.

It also helps when rich people say "Hey, I'll give you 100k to try your idea out because I think it and you are that good, now make it happen".
  • Mark Dygert
    Dreamer wrote: »
    ~ Gotta agree with Andreas. If I didn't get my degree, I'd pretty much be closed to the idea of ever working abroad in the future.

It was my primary reason for getting that piece of paper. How else would I hope to get a work Visa? I'm not a millionaire, and I'm not some mail order bride.
    Just to be clear, because a few people keep getting hung up on the "I need a degree to work outside of my country of origin".

This guy isn't looking to help European would be game artists move to the US or Canada to work for Ubisoft. He wants people to start up the next facebook so he can cash in big without doing much of anything, like he did with facebook.

He's looking for people that start companies, not wish to work on their lower rungs.
  • Rai
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15

Don't you see a problem with with that?
  • conte
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    moof, subscribe to every word, well said!
  • Funky Bunnies
    Offline / Send Message
    Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
    ah man! i wanna do that! But then you'd have to like... help people or some shit...

Not going to school sucks though, I don't know shit!
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Education? More like Edutainment!

(sorry I didn't really have anything to add)
  • ceebee
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    School is a blast, fuck starting up a business that's so much stress and anxiety I wouldn't want in my life.

Although the people spending 100k+ in school is pretty stupid, I dropped out of SCAD for that very reason.
  • Ferg
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    going to college FOR something (skill/trade you are actively interested in) - good idea

going to college because you're supposed to go to college.... not so much
  • acc
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    ceebee wrote: »
    School is a blast, fuck starting up a business that's so much stress and anxiety I wouldn't want in my life.
    Having done both at the same time, I found school to be considerably more stressful. Constantly dealing with morons, forced to waste time on shitty projects, studying impractical bullshit for meaningless exams...

At least when work is stressful you get paid for it and oh hey look you have a career and useful contacts now.

Still, school is good for meeting people and making friends, and depending on where you go (read: most colleges) and where you live (read: in a dorm) it's more about partying than education anyways.
  • Tulkamir
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    ... Wow. This guy sounds like an utter piece of shit:

“Since 1920, the vast increase in welfare beneficiaries and the extension of the franchise to women —two constituencies that are notoriously tough for libertarians—have rendered the notion of ‘capitalist democracy’ into an oxymoron."

http://www.newsweek.com/2010/10/18/what-s-wrong-with-silicon-valley-libertarianism.html

Wouldn't take a penny from the chauvinistic fuck myself. Anyone who thinks women having the right to vote is a bad thing can go jump off a cliff.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't you see a problem with with that?

How old are you? You think it's an arbitrary decision, to ask people that come into your country to be highly skilled? Yes I know people with degree's sometime come out with no skills, while there are artists who never attended a day of third level education that blow the rest of the competition away, but how do you propose governments enforce this? Artists on immigration staff? Writers? Musicians? Join the real world please.

Also good point Meisse, I often forget you guys pay a lot to get a college education... tis definitely another serious factor to consider in going to college in the states. Personally, my degree was free. Even got a grant (which is common, its not a scholarship or anything like that). I even got my yearly registration fees refunded by said grant. And it was such a tidy sum I always spent €90 a week at my favourite sushi bar. :poly136:
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I don't have a degree, I live in a foreign country & run my own company here.

Nothing is impossible.

To me, the true value of getting a degree is the people you meet.
  • Dylan Brady
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    I just graduated from community college and I met no one...
    School sucks
  • Autocon
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    I went to the Art Institute of San Diego Ca, payed about 80 grand or more for the whole thing. Best thing I have done. Wouldnt be where I am today if it wasnt for that and wouldnt have the life long friends I do without it.
  • Jeremy Tabor
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Tabor polycounter lvl 13
    you know, I've gone back and forth between whether school was worth it, or if I really got that much more out of going than if I just would've stayed home, but I ultimately always come back to the same conclusion...

I can't see myself being where I am now, as a person, or artist, had I not made the decision to go to school. I've always looked at it this way - I wasn't going to school for instruction, or even contacts. I was granting myself the opportunity to have (in a perfect world..) uninterrupted practice for 3-4 YEARS. I know I personally will never have that opportunity again, and would never have been able to even come close to anything similar if I was back home working some janitorial job while doing game art in my spare time.

I know this is just my personal situation, but I needed to go to school. I have been working as a street vendor for a carnival for 8 years before I left for college, and I just flat out needed a fresh start. School first taught me how to learn, and then how to teach myself. I met some awesome people, and gained a TON of life experiences through working various jobs along the way.

Now, the proposal in the OP that I could have dropped out midway through and still been just as successful if not more so, I think is very plausible. I stopped learning things directly from my teachers relatively early on (which sucks), and sometimes indeed felt as though I were wasting my time. If I were offered an industry job during school, I would almost certainly drop out, as I know i would learn heaps more in the workplace. but I wasn't, so no sweat, more practice for when I actually have to enter the job market.

I don't think the idea of starting my own business would be something enticing enough to lure me out tho. I know just enough about business to know that I would never want to own one :\

For me the bottom line is, I disagree when people just flat out make generalizations about 'school' as if they are all the same as are the people who attend them. They're certainly not all bad, and its all on the student's shoulders to learn in whatever environment they have placed themselves in. If they feel that their time is being wasted, then quit... if there are still things you can get out of it, then stay in. Its that simple
  • Del
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    Autocon wrote: »
    I went to the Art Institute of San Diego Ca, payed about 80 grand or more for the whole thing. Best thing I have done. Wouldnt be where I am today if it wasnt for that and wouldnt have the life long friends I do without it.

~ Good point. The lifelong friends and all that goddamn fornication with girls and wild drunken memories. I'd pay for it all over again if I could. The degree meant next to nothing, but the experience/memories was epicness. College was like 20% learning 80% living life to the max for me. Go to college, or your missing out.
  • MattQ86
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 14
    I feel like I should have worked harder and smarter in school. The problem is that when I think that I'm using the hindsight that comes with the experiences I've had since graduating so it's hard to tell how hard I was actually working and how much I was actually learning.

I do know that every first semester modeling class should use the Mobile Gaming thread as reference. Start them off right with the basics.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Orgoth02 wrote: »
    I am curious. How long will you have to work just to pay off your loans that you took out (if any) to get your degree. Is it profitable in the end?

I know my situation is a little different than most, but I first got an Associates degree in Electronics, at the community college. That was paid for by inheritance money that I had received from my grandmother. I think around $10k total was spent. It was invested, and my aunt was in control of it, so I don't know the exact numbers.
    I took a break, then returned for my Bachelor's in Computer Science. For this part, I had to use financial aid the whole time, and my final bill was $20k. I graduated in 2008, and I put it in forbearance until this year, so I just started paying on it. I honestly don't consider $20k very bad. If I really wanted to dedicate myself, I could have it paid off within 2 or 3 years.
  • skylebones
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    ~ Good point. The lifelong friends and all that goddamn fornication with girls and wild drunken memories. I'd pay for it all over again if I could. The degree meant next to nothing, but the experience/memories was epicness. College was like 20% learning 80% living life to the max for me. Go to college, or your missing out.

You don't need to go to college to be social.
  • [HP]
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13

So people don't go to college to actually learn? wow

paying 40k to get laid sounds a lot, I'll stick with my local bar, ktkxbie.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Tulkamir wrote: »
    ... Wow. This guy sounds like an utter piece of shit:

“Since 1920, the vast increase in welfare beneficiaries and the extension of the franchise to women —two constituencies that are notoriously tough for libertarians—have rendered the notion of ‘capitalist democracy’ into an oxymoron."

http://www.newsweek.com/2010/10/18/what-s-wrong-with-silicon-valley-libertarianism.html

Wouldn't take a penny from the chauvinistic fuck myself. Anyone who thinks women having the right to vote is a bad thing can go jump off a cliff.

oh brother, when I read that he was a conservative with a degree in philosophy, I knew that was a bad combo.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken wrote: »
    I don't have a degree, I live in a foreign country & run my own company here.

Nothing is impossible.

To me, the true value of getting a degree is the people you meet.

How'd you go by that? Marry in?
  • WarrenM
    Lack of a piece of paper won't prevent you from working overseas forever. You can overcome that with experience ... last time I had to do it, 10 years of relevant working experience trumped lack of paper.
  • Mark Dygert
    wow this guy is a total douche. Thinking that article might be taking things out of context and not knowing much about him, I looked up his original ramblings on cato unbound and wow they didn't really get very deep, he's a raving nutter...

So not only does he have an axe to grind with women and universities, but it sounds like he is also blaming another group that couldn't vote in the 1920's who he also blames for the "vast increase in welfare beneficiaries". I'll give you a hint, it sounds like Plack Beople.

So according to him, giving women and blacks the right to vote screwed up America... And the only time when capitalism worked was when massive corruption and rampant ponzi schemes where going on!? And he wants to go back to that!? FUCKTARD... The very thing he wants is what caused the things he doesn't like. The social safety net was created because of the Capitalist Darwinism at the time.
    ” The public, he says, doesn’t support unregulated, winner-take-all capitalism, and so he won’t support the public any longer.
    Douchbag! I fully support a tax on every breath this fucktwat takes... This guy is on the fast track to a pair of tissue box shoes just like Howard Hugues, probably even faster...
    The critical question then becomes one of means, of how to escape not via politics but beyond it. Because there are no truly free places left in our world, I suspect that the mode for escape must involve some sort of new and hitherto untried process that leads us to some undiscovered country; and for this reason I have focused my efforts on new technologies that may create a new space for freedom. Let me briefly speak to three such technological frontiers: Cyberspace, Outer Space and Sea Seading.
    So the only way to escape it is for technology to create new space to form a truly free society.

He wants a floating city or a colony on the moon... that allows its founders to govern themselves? So then whats the next step? So whats next, wage war on the rest of the masses who don't agree in techno-utopia? Heh... throw in a few jumbo-tron's with his face all over them and you've got a great little future where I'd love being an anarchist.

What a closed minded, spoiled little twat. "If you can't let me ruin millions of peoples lives I'll create my own space to do it". I'm so glad I've gotten along without paypal, I'm not sure I can help support his delusions.

With all that said, I still stand behind all of what I've said. I still think students need to wake up, not walk into a wall of debt and realize their full potential instead of just brainlessly waltzing through life especially when they could achieve the same results for cheaper and they seem to not care until its too late. The people you think are helping you, are praying upon you, so wake up be an adult and take responsibility for your finances it will effect a huge chunk of your life if you get it wrong.

And if you get a chance to rob this guy of even a fraction of his fortune, you should go for it, apply then fail hard.
  • [HP]
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13

You should dig in a little bit more about this topic, even without a degree, you can still have emigrate.

Getting a visa without a degree is possible, though harder. In the case of US visas, there's O-1s for the talented people, and H1B's if you have more than 10 years of experience in your field.
  • Ghostscape
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    He wants a floating city or a colony on the moon... that allows its founders to govern themselves?

I'm so tired of people making me-too duplicates of games.
  • Rai
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    How old are you? You think it's an arbitrary decision, to ask people that come into your country to be highly skilled? Yes I know people with degree's sometime come out with no skills, while there are artists who never attended a day of third level education that blow the rest of the competition away, but how do you propose governments enforce this? Artists on immigration staff? Writers? Musicians? Join the real world please

You'd like for me to pay how much for the primary ability to work in a foreign country? I'd rather build through contacts and experience that are just as easily gained while taking part in activities within said career field.

I'm completely understood that a degree is highly situational, but to tell someone that this is their only option is completely arbitrary.

I also understand that, said company may potentially experience difficulties receiving a work-visa if you don't have a degree, due to them requiring hard evidence that you're worth more than the local competition.
    -So find something.

I'd also refrain from spending $80k+ on, "The best time of my life".
    Sounds like an expensive road trip.
    Contacts? College isn't primary for building contacts.. Attend some shit.

I'm still fairly young and I don't necessarily have the ability to run off to college.
    My perceived best option would be to attend anything within my requested field, study when I have the time and troll Polycount.

Am I wrong?
  • Eclipse
    Offline / Send Message
    Eclipse polycounter lvl 18

I was working in a foreign country (Canada) for the last 3 years before coming back to the US without any kind of degree. I'm thinking you don't know as much about this topic as you think you do :/.
  • Del
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    [HP] wrote: »
    So people don't go to college to actually learn? wow

paying 40k to get laid sounds a lot, I'll stick with my local bar, ktkxbie.

~ lulz. I'm just saying college is more than just a degree that's all.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Eclipse wrote: »
    I was working in a foreign country (Canada) for the last 3 years before coming back to the US without any kind of degree. I'm thinking you don't know as much about this topic as you think you do :/.

Hawken is in Japan. If you think getting into Canada from the states is as difficult a process as getting a working visa in Japan as an american with no degree, you obviously don't know much about Japanese bureaucracy and red tape, never mind international attitudes (Japan is only one example too, if you think you can get a work permit in China for Shanghai say, or Italy, France, and major country in Europe, good luck to ye). And it's going to get harder, even for people with degrees. This recession meant that more people stayed in college after their degrees to do a masters to, as has been put in this thread, 'insulate themselves' or whatever; I'm paraphrasing. In ten years time my degree won't mean much in an immigration officers eyes, as there'll be all these people only a few years younger than me with Masters.

I'm not even saying people should do a degree in what they to do as a job. Say if you wanted to be an environment artist. Go and do a degree in architexture, and learn the trade in your own time. That way you have options when you come out. That's the best thing about having a degree for me is. Options. I can't point to a single place on the world map and say 'I can't legally work there'; and that's nice.

Rei: Like I said, if you want to stay in your country of residence, go for it. Contacts and a good portfolio will get you a job in there. Just not internationally.
  • Rai
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    Rei: Like I said, if you want to stay in your country of residence, go for it. Contacts and a good portfolio will get you a job in there. Just not internationally.

:poly142:
    ^

Last year I was offered a position in Seoul, South Korea.. This was because I had previously worked with their Lead Character Artist on a mod.

It wasn't just the work I did on the mod, it was fact that he knew that if he had hired me, I'd fit in without a personality clash.

There wasn't an issue of a degree, they just needed a great portfolio.
    Unfortunately I didn't have a portfolio at the time, kind of screwed myself in that situation. (They wanted amazing work as well, would take me quite awhile to put together)

I did know these people for quite awhile, I knew the studio very well..
    Having great contacts is incredibly powerful. (WORK ON THAT PORTFOLIO FFS!)

One of the greatest regrets in my life, to be honest.

:D
  • dfacto
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Paying 100k for sex, parties and networking sounds steep as hell. The idea is to pay that for otherwise unattainable knowledge and skills, not social affairs.

For a fraction of that per person you could organize an art commune in some cheap locale and hire kickass teachers to drop by and lay some wisdom on you every week. And honestly that sounds like there'd be a lot more fun. And sex.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    :poly142:
    ^

Last year I was offered a position in Seoul, South Korea.. This was because I had previously worked with their Lead Character Artist on a mod.

It wasn't just the work I did on the mod, it was fact that he knew that if he had hired me, I'd fit in without a personality clash.

There wasn't an issue of a degree, they just needed a great portfolio.
    Unfortunately I didn't have a portfolio at the time, kind of screwed myself in that situation. (They wanted amazing work as well, would take me quite awhile to put together)

I did know these people for quite awhile, I knew the studio very well..
    Having great contacts is incredibly powerful. (WORK ON THAT PORTFOLIO FFS!)

One of the greatest regrets in my life, to be honest.

:D

I'm pretty sure you'd have fit in without a personality clash either, you are both hopelessly deluded ;) Your story doesn't really make sense either. If you had worked together on a mod, and he had seen your work already, why would the offer be withdrawn? Why wouldn't you have work to show, didn't you work on at least one mod? How did you get the position on the mod without showing work? If you were so buddy buddy with the whole studio, why was some screengrabs of your work and his recommendation and their experience with you not enough? I didn't show a shred of work, nor even interview, for my last two positions in this industry. I'm sure links to my work must have got emailed around, but still. Something about your story don't add up friend. :)

This thread has got hopelessly derailed :D Whenever threads about degrees crop up it always ends up polarised, with very few without degrees saying the piece of paper is a good idea, and very few with the piece of paper or in the process of getting it saying that they wish they hadn't taken that step. And most of the time, the latter party feel that way because they expected to be babysat and spoonfed for four years.
  • Rai
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    I'm pretty sure you'd have fit in without a personality clash either, you are both hopelessly deluded ;) Your story doesn't really make sense either. If you had worked together on a mod, and he had seen your work already, why would the offer be withdrawn? Why wouldn't you have work to show, didn't you work on at least one mod? How did you get the position on the mod without showing work? If you were so buddy buddy with the whole studio, why was some screengrabs of your work and his recommendation and their experience with you not enough? I didn't show a shred of work, nor even interview, for my last two positions in this industry. I'm sure links to my work must have got emailed around, but still. Something about your story don't add up friend. :)

They requested a professionally finished Portfolio with multitudes of work that were specifically high detailed sculpts. - I didn't have it, the work I did on the mod didn't require detailed sculpts, the sculpts I'd do at the time however, I did show him.

It wasn't, "The whole studio" 3 guys, one of them the Lead Character Artist who was referring me.

The offer wasn't withdrawn, if I had finished the Portfolio within a reasonable amount of time, I'd have taken the position.. Unfortunately I ended up moving to the complete opposite side of the US for a stable job, within that time I never really had the opportunity to work on my Portfolio.

I'm only just recently able to, but I also question whether I'd even want to travel to South Korea like that.

Sorry for the derail, though this is somewhat related.
  • Jeremy Tabor
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Tabor polycounter lvl 13
    And most of the time, the latter party feel that way because they expected to be babysat and spoonfed for four years.

This is exactly the attitude I'm talking about. I am in school, and I'm not lazy, nor a fool. I wasn't duped into going to college either. I made an informed decision, and knew going in what I was getting myself into.

I don't appreciate the comparison, and I'm not definitely not the exception to your alleged rule. All of my friends here are as driven and self-motivated as I.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Robat wrote: »
    I don't appreciate the comparison, and I'm not definitely not the exception to your alleged rule.

I'm lost, did I insult you in some way? Could you elaborate?
  • dfacto
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    And most of the time, the latter party feel that way because they expected to be babysat and spoonfed for four years.

No, I believe they feel that way because they expected to get their money's worth, and didn't. If I paid huge sums to be taught and was left to my own devices I would be livid.
This discussion has been closed.