Home Unreal Engine

Normal map density control UE4

Hey guys,

Is there a way i can control the density of the normal map inside the material editor? i dont want to switch back and forth between Photoshop and UE4. any help would be highly appreciated.

Replies

• Grimmstrom
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimmstrom polycounter lvl 7
    I'm guessing you mean the strength of the normal map? If so there's a few shaders in the starter content that have this control. I don't have access at the moment so unfortunately I can't point you to a specific one. However its easy to find
  • Money
    Offline / Send Message
    Money polycounter lvl 8
    If you need to control the strength of a normal map, multiply your normal map with a Vector Parameter (X, Y, 1, 1). X and Y control your intensity, values lower than 1 will decrease it, and values over 1 will increase it.
    Then just create Material Instance of the material and since it's a Parameter value you can tweak and see the results instantly.
  • TheIdesofMay
    Abdullah wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Is there a way i can control the density of the normal map inside the material editor? i dont want to switch back and forth between Photoshop and UE4. any help would be highly appreciated.

http://youtu.be/sIMmDVLqh1s?t=11m59s

You can attach this node to all texture maps, BTW. :)
  • Praglik
    Offline / Send Message
    Praglik polycounter lvl 9
    Hey,

What I do a lot in UE4, is to create a dynamic instantiated shader for my basic environment materials.

Basically, something like this :
    1397466419-ue4-rtnormalscaling.jpg
    It gives me 3 parameters to modify in-editor with real time results.
    I take the Texture Coordinate node, divide its channels Red and Green to be able to modify them independently, then I append them back together.
    As said before, to change the "strength" of a normal map, just multiply it by a Vector3 parameter: 1,1,1. If the two first "1,1" are lower, the normal map is flatter, if it's higher than 1 the normal is stronger (and may show artifacts).
  • Gilgamesh
    Offline / Send Message
    Gilgamesh polycounter lvl 12
    It's quite easily done, in this master material I made for plantpots, I wanted variable normal strength on the detail map (along with other things I can change)

Although it's for the detail map only you can do it for any normal.

normals.jpg
  • Abdullah
    thank you all so much.