Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

PeachRaider - Make me cry

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
I started working on this princess peach/lara croft crossover model based on a concept by Daemion Elias George-Cox

I`d like to get some feedback on the model so far, but i`d like it to be in the good old polycount this this and this sucks and this is why manner.

the concept
http://i.imgur.com/pcNQICX.jpg

The blockout
zrze4w5.jpg

im taking some liberties with the details but i`d like to get the overall feel of the concept in there. All of this is blockout so excuse the roughness but it should give a good overall image of where its headed. (size of the necklace is reduced due to it being very limiting for the characters movement)

So don`t hold back and no need for sugarcoating.

Replies

• SHEPEIRO
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    her upper thigh is looking a bit massive in the front view love the idea
  • valuemeal
    Offline / Send Message
    valuemeal polycounter lvl 6
    Needs more exaggeration, perhaps make her arms thinner and lankier.
    To tell you the honest truth, it doesn't look like peach at all.

I just doesn't have the mushroom world vibe to it you know? It looks more like, the fellow who drew this one was more focus on the "tough girl" image and did not considering the background of the character and world.

I would honestly deviate from the design a little,
    -Instead of guns, have pipes with the theme of guns, fire spouting piranhas in them, either that or a battle type of parasol
    -Make the belt a poison mushroom instead of a skull
    -make her pants poofy and mushroom like, she shouldn't have dull colors in her color scheme, stick to mostly pink

Also if the necklence is stolen, it should perhaps have a koopa or bean theme you know . Either that or just make it a question block.

Is that one correct?
  • leslievdb
    Offline / Send Message
    great points guys

Valuemeal: I do agree that she doesnt feel like peach enough. Thats why i already got rid of the skullbelt but your suggestions are a great example of other things to do to push it further. I`m going to go for blonde instead of brown and i`ll keep those vibrant pinks in the design

The necklace probably wasn't intended to be a stolen artifact but i really like the idea of it being stolen from bowser and having her wear it as a taunt towards him.

thanks for the feedback and suggestions
  • thatanimator
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    this is hilarious! :)
    good idea! well executed!
  • karytsukino
    Offline / Send Message
    karytsukino greentooth
    Hi there! Great stuff here!

I love your idea! Peach is a very iconic character! I'd agree that model didn't reminds me Peach very much. Ialso agree that you should try make she thinner and maybe add some hair tips and round face a bit more...

However great job! Did you made the concept its really cool reminds me Otto Schmidt style.

Keep working!!! :)
  • leslievdb
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks guys , the original concept is by Daemion Elias George-Cox

tried to make the overall concept more peachlike. found some more alternative peach art as inspiration too

so heres a dirty paintover

peachy.jpg
  • LRoy
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    I approve of this. Maybe try to incorporate her white glove(s) in somehow?
  • leslievdb
    Offline / Send Message
    haha , yup good idea i`ll make the gloves layered so that the white glove goes up the arm a bit further. it also brings back a white element to tie in with the white legwarmer/socks
  • PaulP
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    Really cool idea, I like how this is looking! There are a couple of things that stand out to me atm. Firstly the base of her ponytail looks very thick and heavy, try slimming it down a bit and see what it looks like? Also I like the tattoo on her arm, but I feel it's a bit too bright and saturated. If you tone it down a bit it could provide a nice contrast with the bright, colourful clothes she is wearing.

Looking forward to seeing where you take this!
  • valuemeal
    Offline / Send Message
    valuemeal polycounter lvl 6
    Bullet bill blaster? Why didn't I think of that? That was clever.
    Don't mind me, and you probably shouldn't incorporate it at all, but I always had a silly fan theory that her hair was actually some sort of yellow mold; being the mushroom princess and all . In the final texture I think that should probably be a bit paler you know? Good job thus far though
  • leslievdb
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the feedback guys

PaulP: yeah im going to try and make the ponytail look a bit lighter. the tattoo is just a suggestion of a tattoo atm. the design and colors still need to be determined.

Valuemeal: haha it looked like a natural thing to do, im not happy yet with the details of the gun. ill make it more mariothemed to match the rest
    the hairmold seems a bit too much. :P

almost done retopping the body and head for the final sculpt. all of the other attributes and clothes will be modeled over this one

wEdmk7Q.png
  • SHEPEIRO
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    i know its early but i think the colours are a little off not quite peachy yet, hop eyou dont mind i did a quick nasty paintover with added backless top and tramp stamp
    peachy.jpg
  • leslievdb
    Offline / Send Message
    haha not really where i want to take this, the colors will be adjusted anyway but i want to get het away from looking too trampy and the open back and trampstamp arent helping with that :P
    its going to be a juggling act to get it right but thats the fun of it ^^

thanks for helping though :)
  • Di$array
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    Such a crazy concept you're attempting Raven and I love it. You've found a great balance between the two characters but I'm not feeling the giant bows on the back of the boots. I'd rather be in favor of a giant bow on the end of the ponytail. Since removing the bow would detrack interest from the boots maybe you could have little mushrooms to act as studs for the laces.
  • leslievdb
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the input disarray, i made the bows a bit smaller but i do like them as a detail

heres the modeled meshes ready for sculpting

R3w2xoA.jpg
  • Zwebbie
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    In my opinion, where this concept is lacking is the head — I can't recognise Peach in it. If I were you, I'd try to get some elements, such as the distinct M-shape, into the hairdo:

Paintover_PeachRaider.jpg

(I also tried to make the lips a tad more modest in the paintover, but that's a personal preference towards Peachiness over Raiderness, perhaps.)
  • AimBiZ
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    I think it would be better if you went entirely for Peach's original hair style. The huge braid just makes her look like some rockabilly chick.

I think you went overboard with the accessorizes as there's more of them than the original princess. I really dig the first concept you presented. Made more sense of what would happen if you fused the two characters.
  • cholden
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Normally, I'm a huge fan of your work, but this thing I can't even articulate my feelings. I'd suggest Zwebbie's feedback. Strongly reconsider the face/hair.
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Theres probably some elements you could pull from some of the Mario sports games. Mario Strikers in particular gave her some skimpier attire and a bit more of a fit, streamlined appearance as well as some big chunky shoes which are probably far more in line with what you're after here than the traditional ball gown costume. Could also give you a good idea of the important design elements than you need to hit to keep her essential Peachyness.
    Super-Mario-Strikers-peach-and-daisy-9298670-1933-2560.jpg
  • leslievdb
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the feedback guys.

I`m going to adjust the face and hair to see if i can get something more of a balance between peach and laracroft.

The attributes i`m not sure about whats overall wrong with them, maybe i`ll reduce the sockssize a bit . The initial idea wasnt to have peach dress up as lara croft neither was it lara croft dressing up as princess peach but i think i`ll have to choose one more over the other .
  • leslievdb
    Offline / Send Message
    Adjusted the face and tried some things, made the upper lip round like princess peach. i think i`m going to keep the hair style though . Still need to properly sculpt it

Pi9eT0n.jpg
  • leslievdb
    Offline / Send Message
    Another wip

Still need to add some stuff like backpockets and refine the overall sculpt a bit more

PeachraiderWipLESLIEVDB.jpg
  • Caldria
    Offline / Send Message
    Caldria polycounter lvl 8
    Nice man! this latest WIP has improved so much, looking really awesome now imo.

I like the belt/sash type thing. And the gloves are really looking nice.
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I think you probably need to push the crown a bit more. The clip is quite a pleasing design in and of itself, but its not really all the recognisable as a crown proxy. I wonder whether you might be better with some kind of headband/tiara typed design.
  • leslievdb
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks guys
    good point jackablade, i`m going to try blockout a tiara that feels like her crown but doesn`t feel like too big of a mass or obtrusive
  • sheckee
    Offline / Send Message
    sheckee polycounter lvl 9
    I think she's cool. I know she's meant to be Peach, and Peach has bright colors. But I kind of want to see what she'd look like with some of the elements being a bit desaturated. (Mostly the top - maybe a desaturated pastel pink?)
    I also think I agree with Zwebbie's suggestion about the hair. It doesn't feel like Peach's hair.
  • PaulP
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    This is coming on nicely! I'm not too keen on the gems closest to the front of her shoes. From the front view they kind of look like eyes. Maybe if you had them angled towards the outside of the boots, bringing them down a little, and maybe add some straps for them. You could even just use something like the ribbon material used at the back of the boots to keep it elegant and peachy!
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    The nose really bothers me, it's freakishly small. Even if shes had rhinoplasty the base wouldn't be that narrow. The fact that its upturned accentuates the issue too.
  • Noors
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Not a huge fan of big spread Michael Jackson eyes. Makes me feel uncomfortable.
  • leslievdb
    Offline / Send Message
    i think we`re entering the area of personal preference here,

I don`t want to go with the classical peach hair since i really like the braidtail ( still need to clean up the sculpt)

The face i`m pretty happy with, it`s stylized (and not in the i don`t want to fix it way), i`ve tried scaling features up and down and ended up with the current face.

the gems on the shoes don`t personally bother me atm but i`ll see if it`s better with the suggestions :)

but thanks for the input guys, i don`t want to come across as someone asking for feedback and not implementing it but theres also the danger of changing things when you`re happy with them and ending up with something that isn`t better.
  • sheckee
    Offline / Send Message
    sheckee polycounter lvl 9
    Hey man, you don't have to implement everything people suggest :D It's your choice at the end of the day. Most of it is just personal preference :)

Also, for what it's worth; I think once she's in a sweet action pose she'll look really cool!
  • Gannon
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Loving where this is going, The quality of the progression on this fantastic as well. You're doing a great job picking suggestions and rolling with it all.

I think what will help push the "M" in the hair is if you widen the back of the head right around the ear area. Right now it feels like the front of the skull is much wider than the rest when the widest point is normally towards the back. I worry that will mess with some of your stylization though. Hope this helps though. :p
  • Intervain
    Offline / Send Message
    Intervain polycounter lvl 13
    so cool! Love everything except for the giant sock/boot combo... feels a bit too heavy there at the bottom, in comparison to the rest of the character... Great progress though!
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i'm going to hate myself for this, and so are you...

...she looks like she knows how to... eat.. a.. mushroom head... or two...

>_<
  • Dave Jr
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9

>_<

LOL!

Good work so far, but I agree with whats been said, the hair/M shape needs to be pushed more to reflect Peach...
  • Gannon
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator

>_<

Have you read the title of the thread? She clearly doesn't swing that way ;P
  • leslievdb
    Offline / Send Message
    lol, i`ll put the model one here so you can make her do whatever you want :P

i`ll see if i can get that M shape in the hair with the current hairstyle
  • kmactastic
    Offline / Send Message
    kmactastic polycounter lvl 8
    I am looking forward to the final. Here's some more personal preference. I would like to see her umbrella and radishes somewhere. This is going to be so cool.
  • Di$array
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    I think Zwebbie's paint over is really on the right track when it comes to the hair predicament but the rest of the piece is great. I really like what you did with the gloves and the sash belt. But I'm not entirely sold on the boots still. Maybe having the bows smaller in size may help that area. I also think you should add a few more straps to the boots too.

You’re making a really great progress with this Raven. Keep at it.