Home Unreal Engine

Weird Baked Lighting Issues

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Scizz polycounter lvl 11
qXmOqlK.jpg
I tried changing the light map resolution and that doesn't help. Don't know what I could be doing differently from the next guy.
7Xc8i.jpg
Also gettting light leaking in from the outside when there is no hole in between the meshes.

Replies

• Scizz
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    I reimported my mesh and loaded up one of the test maps that come with UE4. Just dragged it my mesh, baked lighting and now I get this 7Xige
    But on the other side, it seems fine. 7XigS I tried generating unique UVs and that didn't help.
  • Sinking
    Looks like overlapping Uvs in the third image (before generating unique uvs). As for the lighting problem - you are probably not completely snapped there. Even though there is no visible gap, it may be a very small gap, (something like 0,009 units is hardly visible when snapping). So check the vertex distance and see if it really snaps. Or create a simple geometry around it (in Unreal Editor) and see if you still get problems.

Open meshes may or may not cause problems. You should close the back of your meshes and see how that works. Check out the many example scenes in U4. You will find no planes in there, either. Strangely enough I didn't have this problem at all and planes worked fine. I made proper Uv sets though.

Another interesting option would be to move the entire scene away or flip it around, to see if there are any other problems with changed lighting. Generally it may be an option to start with an empty scene and light as needed.
  • Scizz
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah I managed to sort it out for the most part. For one, I generated another UV Set in 3Ds Max for my lightmaps, as apposed to doing it in Unreal. Also, I just created a BSP brush that is over top my level, so any tiny gaps are closed. I'm still getting little shadowing errors though, even though I have no overlapping UVs in my lightmaps.
    In1uRRM.jpg
  • Sinking
    Maybe try turning off shadows on the lights. It may be they are interfering with each other there. If turning off shadows helps you can gradually switch them back on to figure out which light causes the problem. It may also help to turn the radius for some of the lights down.

This scene looks a lot nicer and very clean I can feel your annoyance for getting these few last issues. But they are not too bad; I really wonder what causes this problem though. It looks like something still is projected onto the mesh from above (but that'S not quite possible now).

One question - why the reddish walls? It's a strange hue and it colors everything else that way.

Perhaps someone can shed a light on why this happens and how to prevent it. It's always good to root out what causes problems early on. I just can't imagine what causes this any more.
  • Scizz
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    I think I'll just continue working on the scene, and once I'm at the lighting phase, I'll start messing with the shadow settings and what not. The lights in the scene now are basically just work lights. The walls are reddish because that's how it is in the art that I'm referencing from. :D