Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

LOW-POLY ART

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
hawken polycounter lvl 19
This is the sweet spot for your low-poly models. Post 'em if you've got 'em!

Low-poly hasn't really been a requirement in the games industry for a long while now. This thread is for low-poly art style appreciation, so please take note of these rough guidelines:
  • Keep models under 1,000 triangles.
  • Scenes are fine, if all models are low poly.
Some dedicated low-poly modelling tools now exist that make this art style a lot easier to produce; Crocotile3D & Blockbench

Here's a handy list of ways to make your art look right in mainstream 3D software: Low-Poly Art Style Guide

Replies

• Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    Spacey wrote: »
    ashleighmills: Ooooh, lovely truck!

Made a crabman texture for Slaught's hero thingy SDK.

crabman_zps638fefcf.png

Spacey, that rocks! Really cool design. :poly142:

Actually, I've been wondering recently if it's acceptable to post oldschool character textures in this thread in cases where you didn't make the model yourself.

I'm working on a couple of oldschool "skins" myself, and I'm wondering if this is the right place for it, or if should make a new thread instead. I'd love to have an "oldschool skin" thread, however it seems to make more sense to have it in one place with oldschool modeling work as well.

What's the consensus on that?
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Not 3D, nor game art really, but I made this recently.

PigCityLanParty_by_PixelSnader.png
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe we should rename the thread to "oldschool", so we can just post anything from lowpoly models to hand-painted diffuse textures to pixel art. :poly128:

Anyway, cool work, Snader! :) Are you still doing a lot of pixel art these days, or not so much?
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Maybe we should rename the thread to "oldschool", so we can just post anything from lowpoly models to hand-painted diffuse textures to pixel art. :poly128:

I like this suggestion, those are the kinds of pieces I come to this thread for. The WAYWO thread still gets a lot of the stuff that should probably go here.
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    Maybe we should rename the thread to "oldschool", so we can just post anything from lowpoly models to hand-painted diffuse textures to pixel art.

That'a a really good suggestion. "LOWPOLY" feels a bit too vague. Maybe even extend the title to "Old School Game Art" or something like that.
  • lean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lean polycounter lvl 5
    I don't think sub 1000 character models is that vague.

tiny accesores, like a knife, should have a tricount proportional to a sub 1000 character...
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think it's vague, it's too specific! I think it would be nice to have a place to post all things oldschool, not just models. :)

It could potentially revive some interest in the SDKs as well, if there's a focused spot to post it all. A lot of people are missing the old SDK threads, but there just doesn't seem to be enough activity to keep single SDK threads alive. It would be best to gather it in one thread among similar work, IMHO.
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    Yep, I completely agree with having an archive of SDK's...the one thing about lower count models is that its a great place for new users to start. Often times i see people just jump on a 10k tris model without really understanding the whole process of modeling, unwraps, texturing...etc.

It's akin to trying to draw a battle scene of multiple characters without knowing anything about the dynamics of anatomy.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    A halloween contest piece I did for a 2D flash game, a couple of years ago
    wakfu_by_zelda_gfx-d5jmaru.jpg
  • ragtag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Guys,

this is a multiple first for me.
    First Post on Polycount, first human character concept and first low poly model.

Target is 300Tris, what I exactly managed to acchive.

Critics welcome, help on how to texture even more!
    LowPolyTest1.jpg
  • Amtyk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ragtag wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

this is a multiple first for me.
    First Post on Polycount, first human character concept and first low poly model.

Target is 300Tris, what I exactly managed to acchive.

Critics welcome, help on how to texture even more!

I'd add a bit more definition to the deltoid area and maybe give him some more geometry for his biceps. I'd thin up his legs a bit in the boot area- at least in the the front as well.

I can apprecaite trying to go super low with planes for the clothing, but I'd just integrate those into the model and take the poly hit. By the time you double hull in and flip the polys you might as well saved yourself the trouble. Besides the coat is a huge part of his form so it makes sense to make it more inline with geometry. The polys for his gloves, around the collars, could use be more focused inward; you could also make them flare out at the sides more.

You character's head model looks very generic as well. In the concept we can see he has a very nice rounded-square face; where as your model's head is very round. I think that's coming from the tri-ing off of the top of the head. In any case, take a few moments to look over your character's shape, it could really help you think more about some of the more subtle changes in them that makes them unique. For example he looks like he's got pretty wide hips, where you model from this angle looks rather plane.

I'd probably be able to say more, but your WIP image is hard to read. Please take a little more time to add things like front, side, 3/4, and over all a bit more professional looking pzazz to your WIP shots. Hope to see it again soon though.

Welcome to Polycount! :3
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    I don't think it's vague, it's too specific!

Yeah the last original models i've been doing have been 500 polygons over the 1000 polygon limit of the thread, due to hands mostly. And they're built for a 1999 engine hacked to support 1997 hardware!
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I totally agree that a 1500 triangle character with no normal maps is more suited to this thread than the WAYWO thread. Hell, we were making that type of models in 2001-2002.

As for myself, my latest pieces have been character textures for existing game models. Posting them here would be a bit strange, since I didn't make the meshes. Posting them in the WAYWO thread feels even stranger, since they are very low resolution by modern standards. It would just get buried among the many detailed sculpts and sub-d meshes in there, and probably cause a few raised eyebrows to boot.

I wouldn't mind making a new thread for oldschool style "skins", but perhaps that would just unnecessarily scatter this type of content across the forum. Widening the scope of this thread might be a better idea.
  • ragtag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LowPolyTest1a.jpg

changed biceps and head as well as boots. And tried to texture it.
  • fantome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fantome polycounter lvl 17
    Edited, ok I'll use the new thread for pixel art.
  • terri
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    terri polycounter lvl 4
    Personally I'd rather this thread stay as just low poly, since its not just for showing off and getting inspiration, but also for discussing technique and the creative process. Having different kinds of art like pixel art would just dilute those discussions.
  • Amtyk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    changed biceps and head as well as boots. And tried to texture it.

Looking pretty shnazy!
    Still not sure if I'm still a big fan of the planes for the coat, but hey it works. Also, did you take this render with a 100% Self Luminous material? It looks like he's in a real time lighting solution.
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    terri wrote: »
    Personally I'd rather this thread stay as just low poly, since its not just for showing off and getting inspiration, but also for discussing technique and the creative process. Having different kinds of art like pixel art would just dilute those discussions.

Perhaps... on the other hand, picking up pixel art has been the best thing ever for my hand-painted textures. It really opens up your eyes to how much detail you can really add, and pixel-level editing is extremely useful for textures of 256x256 or lower resolution.

The fields have more overlap than you might think. :)
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    Yep just look closely at a George Seurat painting....
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Perhaps... on the other hand, picking up pixel art has been the best thing ever for my hand-painted textures. It really opens up your eyes to how much detail you can really add, and pixel-level editing is extremely useful for textures of 256x256 or lower resolution.

The fields have more overlap than you might think. :)

^^^^^ yep!!
  • shaka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shaka polycounter lvl 7
    Yes, but that's why the whole forum is related to game art. This thread is kinda defined by it's name. LOWPOLY (sub 1000~ triangle models) It wasn't created to leave pixel art out of the equation on the forum, just to have a focused thread about low poly models. This is just a thread, part of a bigger forum, nobody is trying to throw out pixel art.

I do all kinds of drawing, high poly, sculpting, low poly and so much game related stuff, but here, i'm posting only what's strictly related to this thread.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Except that people won't go out and make separate threads for their pixel art because it kind of sticks out among all the sculpts, UDK and cryengine stuff. There's a relatively small amount of low-spec art on here, which is why this thread exists; theres little enough of it to stick in one thread but not enough (in most cases, SaferDan and Tucho have quite bit) to fill individual threads.

Personally, all my lowpoly models still use handpixeled textures. (90% pixeled, anyway - I sometimes use gradients or an AO bake)

edit: actually. let's make a pixel art thread and see where the ship strands...

edit 2: over here guys
  • shaka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shaka polycounter lvl 7
    Great initiative. I hope it gets some traction really fast so it will become sticky.
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, I posted in the pixel art thread. :)

What about oldschool "skins", though? If you made a texture for a lowpoly model, but the model isn't yours, where to post it?
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    I really think these threads should be merged just for consolidation reasons, this thread, the sdk threads and the pixel art thread all fall into low spec art and don't really get enough traffic on their own to justify three different stickies
  • Skiffy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skiffy polycounter lvl 15
    Retro Game Art thread? Maybe we could rename the lowpoly thread so it covers the above mentioned topics? Lowpoly, Pixel art and SDK models with reskins for older games all in one go. I would not mind that at all. :)
  • shaka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shaka polycounter lvl 7
    I would agree with the retro game art, but with mobile gaming taking central stage in recent years, and clearly on the rise, this thread is more about current game art as much as the UDK ones.

But i really don't mind the name, as long as i have somewhere to post this kind of work. There isn't a right or wrong way as long as the community is happy, so i propose a poll on the matter.
  • Balboza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi everybody!

Someone can take a look and help me to correct my wires or give me some advices please? :) Idea is to make a low poly version of Ozo (http://vimeo.com/45102468) , who can be animated (cartoon style, like in the short movie).
    Merci beaucoup!
    ozowires.jpgozothejungleyeti.jpg
    Martin
  • 3dlix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys i want to share some work i did for our diploma Project. Its a indiegame prototype, basically a sidescroller, where the player can control a swarm. Its called Boyd. You can watch a trailer here: https://vimeo.com/64752119 . boy_01.pnggirl_01.pngboy_girl_wireframe.png
  • STRB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Let's keep it lowpoly, between 3-1000 tris. As low as needed is best. No pixel art and no 2D retro art.

I totally agree that having a close look at some good pixel art can really help. The two fields really do overlap. Some styles of lowpoly really emphasize a close fit between the model and clearly visible pixels. Here's a relatively simple model, but check out the sizing of the lock, and the shadow is really well done - it's used to give it a lip that it doesn't really have, and makes the gold trim along the edges stick out, because it's one pixel higher there:
    green wrote: »
    treasurechest.png

There are many good ways to mix in old-school styles, like using low-palette. Delko does an excellent job of this, and here's another one, just 3 colors on the big guy. It turns a high-poly into a retro lowpoly, but I'd love to see some classic sprites turned into lowpoly models, too.
    lean wrote: »
    b216d.gif

Here's another really nice model with good pixel proportions (why not overlay an extra tri to fix that jagged diagonal at the top?) that looks a bit more modern:
    B8MaN wrote: »
    Final tri count: 776 (including the outlines). 64x64 diff, no shading/self illuminated.
    greekstables.png

This carries up even to some higher texture models, where pixels usually come out just as lines or highlights, but the transitions are still really crisp, and the pixel proportions are preserved across the model. Eld has posted some really good stuff like this. Here's another great example:
    District 9 dropship
    jg79cw.jpg

We don't need to get the pitchforks out if every once in a while someone posts pixel art in this thread, and I'm actually a fan of upscaled renders and stuff that's animated in a way that looks 3D:
    Snader wrote: »
    drinkspin3.gif

But now that we have that other thread we should make sure we direct people to it. Same goes for high-poly, including some stuff under 1000 (a 900-tri crate wouldn't belong here). We don't need to merge, and I don't think we need the hassle of a poll. We have 12,600 posts and 508 pages since 2006. That's about 7 years. If there were problems with lowpoly being too vague, we'd have seen some come up by now. But the thread is still going strong, and the core idea hasn't changed. Here's a model from the first page:
    Ferg wrote: »
    my remodel of LeChuck circa Monkey Island 2
    lechuck3.jpg
    Compare the style and count to what ragtag just posted:
    LowPolyTest1a.jpg

Still lowpoly.

This thread is excellent. I've been through nearly all 508 pages, and I check in about once a week now to see what's new. The thread moves at a pretty steady pace, and if it moved faster I'd be too busy to keep up. It's pretty easy to check two threads, but it's impossible to check the right half of one thread.

I don't think we'd need to change anything even if the technology improved, like it has in the past 7 years.

Lowpoly isn't about the technology. It's about our how willing we are to mess with individual tris and verts (and pixels).
  • Balboza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys,
    We make an Ozo's iPhone game.
    You can watch the Ozo's short movie here: http://vimeo.com/45102468.
    Some advices or correction about the wire? :) He needs to be animate in a cartoon style like the short.

ozowires.jpg
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow those look very round for only 1000 triangles! -cough-
  • lean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lean polycounter lvl 5
    Balboza: It's really nice.. Only thing I can come up with is to make him a little less flat on the front side. From the top view you can see what I mean.

There was no need to double post the same thing, though :P
  • TheTurner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kakikukeko wrote: »
    I hope I will be forgiven for the 29 tri over the 500 limit wink.gif
    As his little brother was above, I thought of posting the Stupimon N2 : Parrozard !!
    parrozard-pose.jpg

This is SICK! At first I was thinking, "Oh that's some nice looking concept art
    OHHH WIREFRAME!!!" haha Great texture work!!
  • ashleighmills
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ashleighmills polycounter lvl 8
    Balboza wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    We make an Ozo's iPhone game.
    You can watch the Ozo's short movie here: http://vimeo.com/45102468.
    Some advices or correction about the wire? :) He needs to be animate in a cartoon style like the short.

ozowires.jpg

Dat butt. I love it.
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    STRB wrote: »
    Let's keep it lowpoly, between 3-1000 tris. As low as needed is best. No pixel art and no 2D retro art.

I originally started this discussion not to get pixel art accepted in this thread, although that suggestion was made on the side.

I started the discussion about textures on lowpoly models, in cases where you didn't make the model yourself. This includes textures for SDK models, as well as custom character textures for existing game characters (also known as skins).

The piece that sparked the discussion was Spacey's piece from page 417.

So where does something like this fit in, in your opinion?
    Spacey wrote: »
    ashleighmills: Ooooh, lovely truck!

Made a crabman texture for Slaught's hero thingy SDK.

crabman_zps638fefcf.png
  • Slaught
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slaught polycounter lvl 18
    In my opinion it's fine to post skins in this thread.
    They are textures for low poly models and usually stay below 512x512 texture size so I'd say it still counts as lowpoly art. :)

Also lovely work as usual Spacey! :D
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I figured as much. Just trying to make it all official! :)
  • STRB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So where does something like this fit in, in your opinion?

That one's actually in my favorites folder, I think. The coloring and color choice are great.

I don't see a problem with 3D retro and reskins. If it's a lowpoly model, please post it. If a model is good enough for someone to pick it up and give it a new skin, it's probably worth seeing the model again. People post updated skins on their own work, so what's the difference.

If we end up with 3 new pages in 1 day, then it probably needs its own thread, but I doubt there's a risk of it taking off like the pixel art thread. If everyone starts posting different colored crab dudes, then yeah, we'd have a problem, but I don't think that'll happen.
  • Balboza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Si Lean, you're right, I will enlarge him a little bit!
    Sorry for the double post, it's a mistake, and i don't know how to delete one of them... -_-'

Ahah thx, ashleighmill.

• Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Balboza wrote: »
    ozothejungleyeti.jpg
    Martin

Cool design man!
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
  • Kiebler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been so nervous to post these! My friend told me to post these for a while now, and I've finally worked up the courage to do so.

This is my Battle Cattle and she's a level 1 Holstein!
    Feedback is more than welcome :D

Tris: 1010
    Diffuse: 512x512

jHqbmhC.png

KUP77wU.png

N76hkQt.png

oBXvkdZ.png
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duncan polycounter lvl 11
    AWESOME work everyone.

@ Hawt Koffee : That thing looks interesting. I dig it.

@ Balboza : I love that Jungle Yeti. Such a cool idea too.

@ Spacey : hahaha ACE!

Xpost from my new thread.

Decided to make a vehicle since it has been years since I did one of those things I just said. Started this yesterday. Just getting an idea of colours before I start adding details.

quick_gang___everybody_to_the____misery___machine__by_duncanfraser-d648oh7.jpg

more soon.

Keep the rads rolling in everyone.
  • Amtyk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kiebler wrote: »
    I've been so nervous to post these! My friend told me to post these for a while now, and I've finally worked up the courage to do so.

oBXvkdZ.png

I really like the model for this guys! Reminds me of something from .HACK//SIGN. I also admire your choices in color and overall pallet. The fur texturing is nice- I would have liked to see the fur texturing carried out through the entire texture. Having those spots of flat color is both boring and visually uninteresting. Based on your renders and texture would could definitely put more time into painting shadows into the textures. Mostly in the under belly and where objects would be casting shadow, such as under the saddle and cloth. A few interesting hot spots would be nice as well, to give more contrast.

The big thing that is really bugging me about this piece though is the unwrap. A texture is only as good as it's unwrap and you lose opportunities for better res, in-game display, and effective paint-ability. You really have three balancing factors for unwraps: Seems, Distortion, and Packing. Packing is where you are really losing HUGE on this texture. You could help make packing by increasing the number of islands on your texture. You have a lot of areas that if split could yield a higher pack efficiency; such as the face and body. However, you could make them smaller by just cutting the model in-hald and doubling up the uvs (don't forget to move the copied UVs one unit to the right too- helps with processing speed). You also have areas where a simple move of the UV islands could help with packing. Take that gold bit at the top- if you have moved some of those islands down to be flush with the bottom of the texture, that area wouldn't have that terrible overlap.
    Finally you really need to think on Seem Overpaint- for a 512 you should have four pixels of space between each island at least. Otherwise the game engine won't properly display the texture when rendered far from the camera.

Hope that helps.
  • Slaught
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slaught polycounter lvl 18
    Nice work Duncan, I'm digging the style and assymetry!

I just recovered the file for this guy from an old backup.
    If anyones interested I could uvmap him and put up an SDK for people to play around with?

He's around 1300 triangles without his equipment and 1500 with.
    2as_zps1d683479.jpg
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    OH GOD. I <3<3<3 this soooo much! :poly142:
    Kiebler wrote: »

jHqbmhC.png

KUP77wU.png

N76hkQt.png

oBXvkdZ.png
  • lean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lean polycounter lvl 5
    duncan: it's looking good, but are you sure you ment "misery" and not "mistery"? or is it a parody?
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duncan polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks everyone :)

@ lean : Yep It's the "Misery" Machine.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The correct original name would be Mystery anyway, not mistery.