Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Dwarven Gunslinger

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
After a long break since my last character I decided to try my hand at hand painted texturing again. Pretty good fun (although a hell of a lot of hard work).

I think I may have to do a few more to really get into it but I learned a lot from it and its nice to go back and do something thats not normal mapped and can stand on its own with a simple diffuse map (I did cheat a bit though, I didn't have a concept so I did a quick dynasketch in ZBrush to give me an idea of how I wanted to approach the proportions and detail on the character).

fvb4ic.jpg

wsqpnb.jpg

Replies

• Harry-3dCraft
    amazing! very nice character, dwarves are amazing. Nice model and texture, congratz!
  • romy
    Offline / Send Message
    romy polycounter lvl 12
    Excellent work, i really that texture, but if i had one suggestion that would be to add some details at the back of the pants, with some folds or pockets for example... But once again, really cool job ! :)
  • Yeenke
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeenke polycounter lvl 8
    Hey i really like this old school style:)
  • Selaznog
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    Looks very awesome! Like romy said, more detail on the back of the pants could really help define the material more.

I also think you could play with the colour values of the face and beard a bit more so they don't blend together so much.
  • Texelion
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    Dwarves... they use kneepads as quisses ( part which protects the thighs ) ^^.

Nice job dude. I just don't like the flat hair, seems odd on a Dwarf. But it looks good with th ehat.

Using Zbrush even if you don't bake a normal map is not a shame, you can extract a lot of infos from the highpoly, really useful as a base texture.
  • erroldynamic
    Offline / Send Message
    erroldynamic polycounter lvl 18
    Very cool! Great execution, solid all around and awesome style.
  • tsabszy
    Offline / Send Message
    tsabszy greentooth
    Baj Singh wrote: »
    I did cheat a bit though, I didn't have a concept so I did a quick dynasketch in ZBrush to give me an idea of how I wanted to approach the proportions and detail on the character

that's not allowed!!!! :D seriously, it's a great work! i think it doesn't make it less good that you have used a little zb for sketching, it's like doing an overpaint, so no matter!
    really great stuff, i like that your hand painted texture has style! one of the things i find hard when hand painting is to make it a unique feel to it. that's what i can't do actually. so congrats on your work! awsome!
  • Baj Singh
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    Cheers for the feedback.

fvb4ic.jpg

Added some fold detail on the back of the legs however not too much as im quite fond of the minimalistic look for this character.
    Nice job dude. I just don't like the flat hair, seems odd on a Dwarf. But it looks good with th ehat.

Agreed, if I could do it again I would have created a solid feel similar to the beard.
    Using Zbrush even if you don't bake a normal map is not a shame, you can extract a lot of infos from the highpoly, really useful as a base texture.

Aye it can be pretty handy for an ambient occlusion/cavity bake. In this case I needed a concept and didn't want to approach the character blindfolded so I did a quick sculpt at the beginning, did a retopo of the sculpt and then hand painted the rest. The AO map was just a simple low poly mental ray bake in Max.

Think im ready to call this guy done now, im pretty satisfied with the end result and I think im ready to start on something new :\
  • afisher
    Offline / Send Message
    afisher polycounter lvl 6
    Love the style man. Great stuff. Always good to see new work from you!
  • Skummel
    Ooo I like it alot. Very cool style! Would be cool to see a LOTR and Red Dead Redemption mixed game
  • achillesian
    pose and sillo of his right hand really annoys me for some reason, just a presentation issue I guess