Home Adobe Substance

Substance Painter - Master Thread

Replies

• rahulkul2003
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rahulkul2003 polycounter lvl 8
    Hey,I got stuck on one part, I completed all my textures and just found out a part in my mesh needs to move a bit but i can't find reload mesh option inside substance painter.

Any option to re import mesh in substance painter ?
  • PLyczkowski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PLyczkowski polycounter lvl 14
    @rahulkul2003 Edit > Project Configuration, Mesh > Select
  • PLyczkowski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PLyczkowski polycounter lvl 14
    New mat, Stressed Plastic:

stressed_plastic_700.png

Get it at https://gumroad.com/plyczkowski
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    After the stream you did on twitch recently, I couldnt help but draw a parallel between zbrush/pixologic and painter/allegorithmic. To be more precise, zbrush started off as a 2.5d painting application and evolved into the defacto sculpting tool for 3d assets (which is now getting into run of the mill polygon modeling). It feels like what you are doing with painter, is some how zbrush's 2.5D release... Its far more accessible than designer, and I'm optimistic it will lead allegorithmic into more than just texture painting.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    I've been working on using Painter to create hand-painted textures, and posted on some of the limitations I've hit already in another thread, mostly relating to accuracy issues. I figured this would be a better place to continue posting my findings to in order to avoid derailing that other thread.

Here are a couple other issues I've run into.
    First, I've not found a way to dock the Color Picker window. As far as I know, it can only be brought up temporarily as a floating window while actively manipulating your color. It would be useful if the color picker also had a pallet in which we could store our primary colors.
    The other issue is the wireframe. The program fully supports the viewing of the model's wireframe, because it becomes visible when set to Geometry Decal mode.
    The problem is that there does not appear to be a way to display the wireframe while in Paint mode. As such, despite wireframe support already being in the program, it appears we're forced to manually export our wireframe as a texture from our modeling program and apply it as a texture layer. A large and needless complication.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Duly noted ! That's something I had in mind too. :)
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Are there any good kits or resources on texturing metallic surfaces in Painter? Would love to know more, something similar to Mike's helmet there. Looks great by the way!
  • Uzziel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uzziel polycounter lvl 7
    Torch wrote: »
    Are there any good kits or resources on texturing metallic surfaces in Painter? Would love to know more, something similar to Mike's helmet there. Looks great by the way!

Hi Torch, here is a video tutorial that can help you:
    http://youtu.be/u5p95HTvVsA?t=1s
  • kenn090
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kenn090 polycounter lvl 8
    Something I've been working on for the past few days
    forumi2nuMYK.pngdlFIabr.jpgi2nuMYK.png
  • montana2008
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How do i get the emissive maps to show up? great program btw
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    How do i get the emissive maps to show up? great program btw

It depends of your shader, for the moment only the default PBR shader supports it. You also need an emissive channel (which can be added via the document settings by clicking on the little "+" button).

From that, you just need to paint something inside the emissive channel. By default most of the brush/tool will not have this channel enabled, so check the tool windows to enable it.

You can control the global intensity of the emissive via the "emissive intensity" setting inside the viewer settings. And if you want bloom, enable the "glare" setting inside YEBIS parameters. :)
  • montana2008
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks froyok, one more question if i may. How do i get a transparent material? i.e. glass?
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    We don't support any type of opacity for the moment. So translucent materials such as glass are not yet possible. Hopefully, it will be doable in a near future. :)
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm still trying my hand at painting really simple stuff to see how well it works.
    I was starting to work on something else, when I noticed a pretty big issue.
    SPExample2_zps8e2ac21c.png
    No matter what settings I use on my brush, I cannot get it to paint over that sharp edge.
    Even if I just go back and forth directly over it hard, it only starts to fill in once everything around it is nearly black.

Interestingly, the lighter edge doesn't even appear to be there in the 2D view, as you can see.
    The issue might be caused by some error in calculating the UV borders.
  • montana2008
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is there anyway to edit normal map seams within substance painter? I have afew errors along couple of seams that i would like to paint over?
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Grimwolf wrote: »
    Interestingly, the lighter edge doesn't even appear to be there in the 2D view, as you can see.
    The issue might be caused by some error in calculating the UV borders.

Does the error still appear on the final exported texture? I sometimes have seams artefacts in the 3D viewport but they disappear at export time.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I exported it and checked it in Marmoset, and the light-colored seams are still there. Looks identical.
    I checked it in Blender after, and it was also there.
  • PaulP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    @Grimwolf:
    Hi, I think that might be gradient smoothing from your vertex normals? If it is try and harden the edge around the top of the cap, or chamfer the top edge.

'example'
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still there when rendered flat/hard.
  • PaulP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    @Grimwolf:
    Are you rendering/previewing it with a normal map when you get that weird shading?
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No normal map, just a flat Diffuse.
  • xtrm3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xtrm3d polycounter lvl 9
    applying PLyczkowski materials to the model that nick zuccarello did graciously lend me for my substance masterclass in Tokyo at the beginning of this month

new video coming soon

grr2.jpg
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Is there anyway to edit normal map seams within substance painter? I have afew errors along couple of seams that i would like to paint over?
    You can only edit the normal that you paint via the height channel, which is later converted as a normal map and combined with your input normal map.

The only way for the moment (kinda "hacky") would be to load your map as a regular basecolor/diffuse texture and paint over it, but you don't have any guaranties it will be perfect across the UV seams. Unless you paint the neutral color (128, 128, 255).
  • montana2008
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks froyok, is there anyway of swapping out meshes within painter?....i want to import a different mesh into my scene? or do i have to keep starting new projects?
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    You mean you want to update a mesh ? You just have to reload it, via Edit > Project Configuration > Select and then load your updated mesh file.
  • montana2008
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cheers for that. Is there away of saving all the maps in there layers and applying that material to another mesh/project?
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    For the moment you can only export your "effects" as texture by the regular export and load them in a fill layer on another project/texture set. However we are working on something cool to improve that. ;)
  • montana2008
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok cool, thanks Froyok. I have another question if i may. When i export all of my textures including the normal map etc they all have very large edge padding which messes up the seams in unreal 4. How do I make the edge padding smaller before exporting? many thanks once again?
  • montana2008
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    please ignore my last post, i was exporting wrong mesh ;-/...love this program
  • sleepygiraffe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sleepygiraffe polycounter lvl 4
    I am in the process of learning SP and have to say its a great tool. However I'm having a hard time understanding the gloss/metal PBR workflow. Maybe I'm getting something wrong with PBR but here is my problem.

Unless I'm mistaken this is how Spec/gloss maps work:

Albedo = colour (no lighting info)

Spec (Specular Reflectance) = Controls how much light is bouncing off the object.

Gloss = Controls how the light is bouncing off the object (Also known as Roughness)

Normal = Normal

Metalness = values are either black or white to tell shader what is metal and what is not metal. The metal stuff picks up some of the albedo in the reflected light.

SP has a Gloss/Metal workflow

Albedo = Same as above

Gloss = Same as above

Spec = How are we controlling the amount of reflected light??

Metal = I am confused how something can be 75% metal (or anything in between 0 or 1), is this controlling the amount of reflected light also??

One other thing, I am having problems with my curvature maps out of Xnormal. Xnormal is putting some of the info into the alpha channel. Does SP recognize the data in the alpha channel?

Thanks for any help and keep up the excellent work!!
  • aelwine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aelwine polycounter lvl 6
    I'm no expert shading wise, nor into the deep calculation involved, but from my understanding about the metal map.
    The values inbetween 0 and 1 are to more or less simulate the effect of coating/layering of material. Let's say you have a chrome ball with greasy fingerprints or dust on top, you can simulate the subtle effect by having a lower metallic value for those areas without going full black.

about the gloss/roughness, the roughness is usually the invert of the gloss.
    in a gloss/specular workflow, the whiter the gloss map is, the sharper the reflection will be.
    in a roughness workflow, the whiter the roughness map is, the blurrier the reflection will be.

in the roughness PBR model, as far as I know the specular intensity is controlled by the roughness map. The roughness determines how wide the ray of light scatter when they bounce from the surface. Since the energy stay the same, the wider the light scatters, the dimmer it appears after bouncing.
  • sleepygiraffe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sleepygiraffe polycounter lvl 4
    Wes over at Allegorithmic provided a very detailed response to my post if anyone is interested. Thanks Wes!!

http://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,3243.0.html
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    It's important to note that if you're depicting a pure metal surface using the Specular/Glossiness workflow, you will need to have pure black on your albedo output in that area. What Wes says about values in albedo or base color never going below RGB 30 or above RGB 240 is only applicable to non-metal surfaces. Otherwise, it looks accurate.
  • dazzlehorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello,
    I'm using the evaluating Substance Painter for our art team, using the trial version. I'm seeing a consistent problem with the masking tools that I have to ask what's up with it.

Anytime I add grunge, scratches, or use the smart masking tools, I see some really pixelated effects, like it's not aliased or smooth. I can't export textures in the trial, I don't know if it's just an issue in the viewport. Would these scratches export smoothly? (i.e not a broken up pixel line)

5Anqygb.jpg

Note: These are screengrabs, the images haven't been scaled up in post. I realize this is zoomed in a lot, but you don't normally see this type of pixelation in other 3d software.. I just want to know if the textures will export like that.

This program has been really fun to learn, can't wait to convince our company to buy it! And the official training videos are really good!
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    What kind of input do you use to drive the masks? Ar your curvature, AO and normal using a non destructive format like png or tga?
    These look like jepg artefacts on the right.
    On the left side, the pixels you see is because the scratches are so thin that they barely cover a pixel in width so the resulting normal map looks pixelated. Try reducing the height channel opacity to reduce the effect. It's an issue on our side, we have to make those scratches smoother because they are not really usable at the moment unless you work at a very high resolution.
  • dazzlehorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If anyone is interested, my question is being answered on the Allegorithmic forums:

http://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,3245.0.html
  • final_fight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    final_fight polycounter lvl 9
    Does Painter support multi tile texture painting?
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Yes, you can have as many materials on your mesh as you want and with any number of channels for each amterial. You can't paint seamlessly between these materials yet though
  • Tzur_H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
    I've gathered a lot of alphas/textures/stencils for use with ZBrush and they're all sorted in different folders per category, is there a way to tell painter to load them on startup?
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    You will have to copy them in your C : \Users\...\Documents\Substance Painter\shelf\alphas folder. Custom folders for libraries will come later.
  • Ben Milette
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ben Milette polycounter lvl 9
    Hey everyone,

I've created a quick substance effect to rotate layers in Painter, here it is if anyone wants it. Just import the substance, then right click your layer and add it as an effect. Works on fill layers, painted layers don't work as well.

you can grab the file here http://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,3280.0.html

yOSpsqc.jpg

NzqSb9x.jpg
  • Turic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Turic polycounter lvl 5
    Hey everyone,

I've created a quick substance effect to rotate layers in Painter, here it is if anyone wants it. Just import the substance, then right click your layer and add it as an effect. Works on fill layers, painted layers don't work as well.

you can grab the file here http://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,3280.0.html

yOSpsqc.jpg

NzqSb9x.jpg

cool! thanks a lot!
  • tungerz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tungerz polygon
    Hey everyone,

Brilliant :)
    Great work!

Cheers,
    ~Tung
  • walter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    walter polycounter lvl 14
    It would be nice to,

In the Export document window, there was a field like in Substance Designer to name the textures to export,
    pattern: $(graph)_$(identifier)

In the TextureSets window, to rename the texture Set.

To add a Mask to a Substance Effect layer.

I appreciate greatly the weathering effects in Substance Designer, to add these grateful effects in Substance Painter.

Thanks ! Cheers.
  • xtrm3d
  • montana2008
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, For some reason substance painter is displaying my mesh differently? even though it was baked within SD and imported into SP. Its as though SP messes up my normals. Any ideas why im getting these poly normal errors?

QIo0Gb6.jpg
  • oblomov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oblomov polycounter lvl 8
    Any ideas why im getting these poly normal errors?
    SP currently uses its own tangent space and it is not synced yet with either tangent space currently used in SD (Unity or MikkTSpace). In the future, it will be able to load the same tangent space plugins as SD, but it's not there just yet.
  • montana2008
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shame, SP isnt really ready for UT4 assets then. Hope it is soon. Thankgod i didnt waste hours trying to get this working. Thanks for the answer oblomov
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    You can still create assets for UE4, if the baked normal you imported is synced to UE4, SP will do a less than perfect job at displaying it in the viewport but the final exported normal map will still be synced.
  • montana2008
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc wrote: »
    You can still create assets for UE4, if the baked normal you imported is synced to UE4, SP will do a less than perfect job at displaying it in the viewport but the final exported normal map will still be synced.

This is a bit confusing. So i can still use SP for UT4 assets as long I baked the NP with mikk space within SD?

Also will all on my other maps display correctly when outputted from SP?