Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: JamesClarke

About time I made a sketchbook here instead of just drooling over everyone elses work. I'm in my second year at University studying Games Art and I want to get better and this place seems to dish out honest, helpful and constructive criticism.

Here's some of my most recent work so far this semester.

Comments and criticism welcomed on everything I post.

k0023750clarkejamesbike.jpg

k0023750clarkejamesbike.jpg

k0027350clarkejameschar.jpg

k0027350clarkejameschar.jpg

k0027350clarkejamesbeau.jpg

Replies

• Blaisoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    models look nice but your specular maps definitely could use more work. at the moment everything seems to have that smeared glossy look. maybe material settings need some tweaking as well.

btw, the texture on the bike feels rather low res considering it's 2048x2048. did you use any uvw mirroring?
  • allmighty_thunder
    Offline / Send Message
    allmighty_thunder polycounter lvl 13
    i really like all these models nice :)
  • JamesClarke
    Thanks guys. You're right Blaisoid, this was actually my first time using specular maps so I'm still learning how to make them work properly. No I didn't mirror any UVW's something I overlooked; also with the time constraints of the assignment the texture is quite sloppy and rushed in general, I will get round to improving it when I have time.

Here's something I made today for my environment production assignment (I'm doing a small chinatown courtyard area, about 7 buildings + props):
    building01.jpg
  • JamesClarke
    Some more buildings I'm working on in Max for a UDK environment:

buildingsinprog.jpg
  • HAWK12HT
    Offline / Send Message
    HAWK12HT polycounter lvl 12
    I like the building props, other stuff is good too. Just that im working on enviro assets myself :). Just few things I would point out is too much specularity on bricks that look like have gone through a lot of wear and tear, pollution etc. And noticable texture patterns on building to the right.
  • JamesClarke
    Thanks for the comments mate. I'm still getting used to controling specular and figuring out what looks right with it so I'll reduce it a bit.

Here's the finished texture on the middle building (I'm going to make some modular roofing sections in the near future so they wont all have this crappy paneling.:
    building3show.jpg

textureshow.jpg
  • oskarreftel
    The face on the outlaw character looks a bit odd. Almost as if he's wearing a mask. I'm not sure why, but the face feels more natural in wireframe. so maybe just tweaking the diffuse a bit would be enough. hmm... come to think of it, maybe the mesh of the face looks a bit too smooth for the character?

I like your normal and specular maps on the character. Did you make them by baking from a high poly mesh or using photoshop and some plugin or a mixture of both? :)
  • JamesClarke
    Cheers! The normal maps were baked from a high poly sculpt. I agree the face looks a bit weird, I'm not sure what it is. The eyes were difficult to get looking right and they still look strange so it might be partly down to them.

Here's a UDK environment peice I've been working on:
    environmentdonemaybe.jpg
  • gillmeister74
    Offline / Send Message
    gillmeister74 polycounter lvl 7
    Your environment looks sweet and I really like your character. The pose with the bike is really cool and shows off both models well. maybe you could get some garbage or other things in that environment to give it a little more? All in all I'm digging it
  • taralqua
    This is really cool, your motorcycle and chinatown buildings are neat--the guy's stare is a bit spooky though. He looks very intense.

Looking at how you work is giving me some good ideas on environmental pieces, I haven't done many myself so the wireframe view is helpful, especially seeing the result you ended up with! It looks really awesome!
  • Alismuffin
    Offline / Send Message
    Alismuffin polycounter lvl 7
    These are great!Im not too much of a fan of the face of the motorcycle dude though. It seems a bit off? It's textured well, but the shape overall is a bit iffy

Anyways I hope to see more!
  • Rik
    What throws me off for the China town building is the obvious tiling pattern, especially on the bricks. What if you were to float more decals, or adjust the size of your pattern to help break up the repetition.

edit: the wall I'm referring to isn't visible in the render, but rather when you can see the side of the building middle building with the overhangs.
  • JamesClarke
    Thanks for the comments!

Taralqua & Alismuffin: I agree about the motorcyle guy, I had trouble getting his eyes to look right and they're still off.

Rik: Yeah I will remove the black patchyness in the texture and add more decals!

I've been working on an old AK 47 model, I reduced it's triangle count by 2000 without any visable changes, did a new unwrap and I'm working on a new texture for it. Still needs work:
    ak47hg.jpg

I've also been working on this concept peice for a university group project. The theme is 'Art Deco Ocean Liner'. Honestly, I love Bioshock so didn't even try to avoid similarities haha. I'm pretty happy with how this is coming along since I consider myself terrible at drawing.

progress2j.jpg
  • JamesClarke
    It's been a while, figure I'll start trying to update this again. Some recent bits and pieces:

Pug Warrior sketch for a concept art module at Uni.
    rHnxj.jpg

Hand painted texture tests.
    WXG7C.jpg
    7AbsS.jpg

Worm concept art doodles.
    kjy3r.jpg

Car interior I started a while back and never got round to finishing:
    portfolio_show1.jpg

tRcsX.jpg
  • JamesClarke
    Cogs for a Game Project:
    0dxLm.jpg

Handpainted Texture Atlas Work:
    tOnGx.jpg

Pug Sketches:
    1E7sP.jpg
  • [Deleted User]
    The user and all related content has been deleted.