Offline / Send Message
    paprika polycounter lvl 14
    hello again, here's my second pass progress
    8yVH5ue.jpg
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    @Paprika, I think you should try making the ram machine-like. Add bolts/rivets/plates. You can still have the head like an ornament but I'm just throwing out some ideas :D.

@Toasty, I think currently your set still suffers the color palette problem. Try using different shades of blue/black instead of red. And don't forget color shifting!

Finished my hat!

Celesital's Emissary by Ghostdetector

IlY6GbA.jpg
  • Toasty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ghostdetector Thanks for your comments, can you clarify what you been by colour palette problem? Colours not working together, or colours not in Storm Spirits normal colour palette?

-Toasty
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Agree with Ghost.

Looks like you have 4 colors of blue, 3 colors of red, 2 brown, 2 yellow, white beige... pink, purple.
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Toasty
    Try to follow the original colors of Storm Spirit,
    The robe should match closely (in terms of color) with the default.

As for the color range, you should really reduce it to blues/compliment colors and some red. As well as using red create those focal points. Right now the colors go everwhere and its difficult to tell where you're suppose to be looking (from the fornt view, the back view is fine).
  • Toasty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the colour crits everyone.

@ghostdetector. Although it's not per Valve's guidelines, sets accepted into game over the last couple months are showing that Valve is ok with people pushing colour palettes as long as the character is recognizable ingame. I honestly believe they are trending to look for sets that are different (colour/and or shape) from the normal these days.
    I Hope you don't feel I'm not listening. I'm trying to use your and others advice as much as I can, and at the same time create something that's different from the norm and packs a little eye punch.

Oh also, I had a few hours free, so I made a new hat!

wOF0ql.jpg

-Toasty
  • Tamarin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tamarin polycounter lvl 17
    @Toasty

Looks great. I don't see any issue with the colours. I think a bigger issue is artists not willing to take risks with colour. You have the asymmetry going really well as well.

One minor gripe might be the top of the hat. I like the flowers but find the materials don't read well. For example, what material is the yellow colour meant to represent? This includes the red border of the hat. Inside of the hat reads well.

It's a minor issue - I see this as a strong set as is.
  • Toasty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If I was to guess..:P I imagine it would be something like paint on wood/bamboo. A bit of fine detail should maintain once the texture is compressed to game size. I'll see if I can quickly add a little wood/bamboo grain.

-Toasty
  • Reza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    guys which one do you vote for? :)

1:
    Bup7VLx.jpg

2:
    JsWlWBO.png
  • Toasty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sorry Reza, what are we voting on? Which image? which item? Colour? Drink? Holiday destination?

I vote top image, weapon, Blue, mango smoothy, Hawaii

-Toasty
  • Snowstorm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm polycounter lvl 5
    I think both require more variety of colour on the goat head. A single colour on each goat head is too little and too plain.
  • Reza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    @ Toasty :)))))))))) nice one. I intentionally didn't mention that the balls are in different colors to see if they are even noticeable or not.
    Ofc I'm working on the weapon (with sharc and chameleon) and we are still deciding the color scheme
    @Snowstorm, noted. thanks
  • Markovnikov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Markovnikov polycounter lvl 6
    @Reza: The different coloured balls are defintiely your best choice. Have you tried swapping the colours, though? Like, putting the red ball with the cream head and vice versa? Might give a nice effect.
  • Shock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    since its december again and we have a new year to start soon, i would be happy to redirect some of u guys to check that thread: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143962&page=8

and also read my post #191 inside that. its about a chance that we have to rework the community competition.
    i would be happy to hear some of ur voices.

greez
  • Sumers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sumers polycounter lvl 10
    Shock wrote: »
    since its december again and we have a new year to start soon, i would be happy to redirect some of u guys to check that thread: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143962&page=8

and also read my post #191 inside that. its about a chance that we have to rework the community competition.
    i would be happy to hear some of ur voices.

greez
    This might be interesting. Together we could for sure create more interesting and complex product. I'd suggest you to make new thread to have proper conversation with others.
  • Toasty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been working on a loading screen. I feel the balance of tone/focus isn't quite right, any tips?.. oh also, the flowers/plant hasn't been fully painted yet.

nZDVVt.jpg

-Toasty
  • vertical
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical polycounter lvl 9
    Looks good toasty, try implementing a version of the backdrop with similar colours to the Storm set you worked on? Anyway, it looks good.
  • Toasty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi vertical, do you mean paint another picture with new red/blue/yellow like on the character?

-Toasty
  • vertical
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical polycounter lvl 9
    I meant you should use the colours you used for your set on Storm on the background. eg. Red sky with yellow clouds and the floating islands with a tint of blue.
  • Toasty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I think I'm ready to upload the set, however I'm really not sure if 2-3 days before xmas will be a good thing or a bad thing.

Also is an icon like the below ok to submit the chest armor/robe for this competition, or should the icon exclusively show only the robe?

rfE4ux.jpg
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @toasty I think the full icon is fine but it just has to be linked to the robe correct
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    hey guys, some updates on the contest

Since we have the new bloom deadline till January 17th, we at polycount decided to extend the contest to match the newbloom event, but we are keeping the prizes for the original deadline

for the new extended deadline we are going to have a new prize donated by Drew "R13" Risch.
    A Golden Trove Carafe!
    256px-Cosmetic_icon_74_-_Golden_Trove_Cask.png?version=2d77971ccc2e501a9f8f583a83e61228

worth around $200 on the market
    and this priceless Golden Crystal Maiden figurine
    BtVqVzuCQAA-NnO.jpg

since it is an special event, we are also extending the hero pool to ALL THE HEROES.

in resume:
    • the finished items on december competes for the normal prize.
    • the finished items on december also competes for the extended deadline prize (golden carafe)
    • the item from january competes just for the Golden Carafe
    • No last time item will be accepted, which means that the rules over work in progress and feedback still applies
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool! I'm going to try to squeeze something out before the Dec 31

zeThxXw.jpg
    ztfo1dv.png
  • No Pie For You!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No Pie For You! polycounter lvl 6
    i`ll try squeezing a yiro missile till the deadline, although i thought i won`t be able to catch this month contest either.
  • mihalceanu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mihalceanu polycounter lvl 6
    Hey guys , decided to finish the mask I started for storm :)

Stormhood by mihalceanu

200x200.resizedimage
  • Toasty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cloud Robe of Harmony by Toasty
    w3vOmX.jpg

Uploaded! yay!

-Toasty
  • Prosomogy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on some singles with kaas
    FOlEpechxgg.jpg
    6iYOOmfGW_k.jpg
    Pmx_onI0tpY.jpg
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Prosmotology
    Who's items are those for? I'm guessing Axe,Kunka,Shadow Shaman?

For the top item, it doesn't seem like you did the horns right. Horns typically get big near the head start to get smaller at every section. Right now the first 4 seem pretty much the same size.

For the 3rd item try to make each segment of the horn deeper, and you kind of got the shape of the head wrong, goat heads are pretty flat along the sides (their cheeks don't go far out). It also looks kind of scrunched up. I'm also asumming the beard is what connects the head to the stick, but you're missing its lips. Just define it a little more.

For the 2nd item, the hilt end could probably use some attention, its just kind of boring compared to the rest.

I would actually like some feedback -.-

1ucPzWP.png

I'm thinking the colors need to be tweaked but I need a fresh pair of eyes (or I have to wait a bit.
  • Markovnikov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Markovnikov polycounter lvl 6
    @GhostDetector: Are all those beads using the same textures? That's pretty risky, as the lighting effects on them look really off. They look almost drawn on, and stick out terribly.

The other bracer looks great though.
  • Toasty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good ghost. Maybe pop the pattern out on the bracer via the normal map to help the details read better. Could most likely quickly do this via photoshop normal map overlay.

Also, now with the split price pool, does this mean we can enter a second item for the January Deadline??
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Markovnikov
    Thanks! I'll try to reduce contrast on the actual color map and try to have everything on the masks.
    Toasty wrote: »
    Looking good ghost. Maybe pop the pattern out on the bracer via the normal map to help the details read better. Could most likely quickly do this via photoshop normal map overlay.

Also, now with the split price pool, does this mean we can enter a second item for the January Deadline??

Thanks, I think its okay for the 2nd item. We could always enter more items as long as it wasn't for the same hero. For instance, you can't submit a 2 items for storm spirit for the same contest.
  • Toasty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nifty, I've just started on a Naga Siren set for New Bloom, will post some concepts/progress here soon.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Here's a Broodbutt me and Fudgie did for CNY. I didn't post WIP's in the thread while working on it since the competition wasn't including CNY items when we made it earlier in the month but here's a few WIP's I posted to twitter.

Block In
    B4fANI0CAAAOr_V.jpg:large

Sculpt
    broodblossom_wip_06.jpg

Bakes
    B4pFjnYCUAABarO.jpg:large

Textured with prong addition
    B4xR2OxCAAA3jL4.jpg:large

In Game
    broodblossom_gif_01.gif

Promo Art painted by Slimeface
    B5AynmDCIAAeEun.jpg:large

Creeping Blossom's Abdomen by Zipfinator and Fudgie Wudgie

268x268.resizedimage
  • Toasty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    started fleshing out the shapes for Naga Siren. It's all very early in the modelling process, and I can see a lot will change in the overall design and trying to fit to poly budgets. Shame she doesn't have double sided shaders turned on!!!

StUJa3.jpg
    7mgXRZ.jpg
  • Reza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    @Zipfinator, did u face any issues while skinning the back piece? I remember when I made my brood set I could only skin it to one bone and as soon as I included other bones, There were some weird deformation.
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Toasty wrote: »
    started fleshing out the shapes for Naga Siren. It's all very early in the modelling process, and I can see a lot will change in the overall design and trying to fit to poly budgets. Shame she doesn't have double sided shaders turned on!!!

tumblr_mehnylZOJ71qcv9vp.gif
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the rules need to be discussed....
    open for teams of any size
    it is allowed one item per hero per team/person ( two or more items for the same hero made by the same team/person will not be accepted)
    everyone should keep posting feedback on other works, the feedback should be constructive
    it must be submitted to the workshop before the deadline but not before the start of the competition
    The item should be made on the month of the competition, its ok to continue one started earlier, but you should work most of it during the month
    the deadline is the last day of the month at 23:59 (since we live in different timezones, some submission may be accepted couple hours after the deadline)
    From this month and the next ones, its mandatory to post the work in progress, or else the submission will not be accepted!

We need these rules to be better explained. Would Zip's entry count since he did most of the work in december but didn't post any feedback?
    Does mihalceanu's entry count? He didn't post feedback since he was the first to post something then finished with a final entry. (only thing he didn't do is give feedback)

=======

@Toasty, I don't know about the red color but the rest looks fine to me. The weapons looks kind of weird with the ribbons though.

=====

Which should I go with?

8nicKMC.png

uBb65O0.png
  • Reza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    I vote the bottom one
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    well then. since we're extended to all heroes: i've been working on a thing:
    oCR1lJc.jpg

gonna post some shots so you all can help me settle on colors and materials! superhappyfuntimes!
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Reza wrote: »
    @Zipfinator, did u face any issues while skinning the back piece? I remember when I made my brood set I could only skin it to one bone and as soon as I included other bones, There were some weird deformation.

I didn't really have any issues. I just rigged it similarly to the stock one and everything worked fine. There's 3 or 4 bones for it and the back one handles the jiggling mainly so that was set to .5 on most of the butt except where it meets her back and then it was just a smooth curve for the other bones over different sections of it.
  • StuBurrito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StuBurrito polycounter lvl 7
    Well, I might as well throw my hat in the ring here. Just started sculpting so everything is a little blobby yet, concept by keinhangia.

Magnus_03.jpg
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    help me work out my material distributions, friends!
    YRH9WlV.jpg
    going for brass, jade and gold. (a little red cloth/jewels mixed in here and there along with some leather).
    mix, match, pick, choose, etc. lemme know your thoughts. once i get them all textured and rigged i'll knock out the weapons real quick.
  • StuBurrito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @reverendK - I actually read somewhere that gold is an unlucky color for the year of the goat. Other than that I think the "shell" look a bit too heavy for tide.

@GhostDetector - I actually liked your previous bracers better than both the new ones, Although the textures could use a little more depth

@Toasty - I loved your SS set btw. Good luck with the NS set, any ideas how you intend to handle the hair bits?

@Zipfinator - Lovely as always, can't really crit since its already done lol
  • Reza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    OK we got this single item done.

The Twin Ram
    268x268.resizedimage

Lore:
    A legendary weapon said to have been forged by the ancient monk smiths of the Wailing Mountains. It has been said that weilding such a potent weapon will divide the very mind of the beholder to fight against one another. Lukily for Ogre Magi, this won't be an issue.

The original idea and concept was sharc's.
    I did the models and changed the concept a bit.
    Chameleon took care of the texture and masks.
    Marvin took care of the lore and promotional stuff and just did some nice work on the particles as well :)

It was a very interesting approach. Although it was a single item but it was worth doing it as a team. We were all busy doing our things and spent some time now and then on this item. We know that particles aren't welcome for the spring event but the flame wasn't going along well with this design, so we just went ahead and made it better :)

Here are the models:

SDgjo4l.png

Here is what I suggested chameleon for the texture:

90msRQ8.jpg

And here are the maps: (sorry that I'm not showing the channels separately, I don't have access to my workstation now, so no Photoshop)

Texture:
    UdWG6XG.jpg

Mask 1:
    d7lXHev.jpg

Mask 2:
    U4nGulD.jpg

normal map:
    4jKiOBD.jpg

And particles :
    E18848ED537D7EF075165CC583B1680AFC337D01

Happy new year :)
    637x358.resizedimage
  • Toasty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @StuBurrito Which bits of hair? If you mean the jewelry, I think I'll have a go at doing as much as possible with alpha planes.

Noticed something odd when just working on the hair isolated.. maybe I should stick a face on it and make a courier tentacle monster just from the hair. lolz!

kbL66R.jpg
    QmFNRY.jpg
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Stu- I think the horns on the helmet looks a bit off,
    @reverendK - I agree with Stu, and you shouldn't use gold. You'd be safer using Silver, Jade, or even a normal turtle shell.
    @Reza, I think you should add more to the edges using the Cavity Map, it seems kind of plain. Also i'm pretty sure that Valve isn't accepting particles until Source 2 is released.

=====

Finished my Ogre Bracers!

Bracers of Longevity by Ghostdetector

kFN1XgR.jpg

iVqblum.jpg
    LqDFg5Q.jpg

Should I go back to this? I could add it as a different style since my workflow basically saved it.

ByC8lsR.png
  • brianchenito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brianchenito polycounter lvl 7
    VUdVlMv.png starting a crown/jester hat combo

Do y'all think the cracks and dents are too much?
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @brianchenito- Yes, metal usually doesn't have a lot of cracks, just dents.
  • GhostDetector
  • StuBurrito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Base colors!! Need more coffee!! Edit Moving on to retopo

Magnus_06.jpg