Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Community Noob Challenge October 2013 (12)

Replies

• Andre.Jonsson
    Offline / Send Message
    Andre.Jonsson polycounter lvl 5
    Been working on the floor-tiles. This is how far I have come.
    s60FXbE.png
    Also improved my blockout, I'm quite happy with it now.
    E52D16N.png
  • Zubnero
    Offline / Send Message
    Zubnero polycounter lvl 9
    Hey guys, I figured I would join in on this competition, this is actually my first experience with any competitions at all, this is what i've got so far, i should definetely fix my lightning issues because theres some really funky stuff going on on that floor, but for now i'll just assume that won't be happening when i'm gonna bring in some assets and work on lightning in general.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the month.

24njxjm.png
  • Cheathem
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheathem polycounter lvl 6
    Hey everyone, I cant wait to see your all's finished products. I really like these kind of environments and it should be cool seeing how different artist pull it off.
    Hopefully i can not be a pussy and push through my motivation and lazyness issues.

Anyways, heres what i got so far:
    KD79jUi.png
    XamHMSE.png

Im modeling high polys that i will bake into assets and/or textures. I'll hopefully be back with some sort of progress. Untill then, happy modeling people.
  • Navi271
    Offline / Send Message
    Navi271 polycounter lvl 4
    Cheathem - Very nice HP models! I'm interested to see your final product (see, now you have to finish it! I'll be sad if you don't...)

Finally started this today. I'm going for big modular pieces with this, but we'll see if I split them up into slightly smaller pieces down the line. These are in no way finished!

DeusEx_Hallway1_zps508d9226.png

Zubnero - Looks solid so far, but lighting issues indeed. Are those lights baked in? And do you have a separate UV light map set up for those assets already?
  • Debasish
    Offline / Send Message
    Debasish polycounter lvl 4
  • Zubnero
    Offline / Send Message
    Zubnero polycounter lvl 9
    @ navi

Those aren't baked yet, I imported it as a single mesh , and tried generatin g a second set of UV's , if anything that made it worse haha, I quess that once I start building the actual assets with a second UV set it should fix itself
  • Irene
    hello!I just joined the competition. I tried to optimize the scene and I had some organization problem, but now I have a rough base,and now, let's go with the details:
    blocking.JPG
  • Scoan
    Here's my blocking!

PgostJ3.jpg

hCWKZk4.jpg

Not quite sure how to turn that corner in the roof yet.

I'm enjoying the different interpretations people're making, particularly of the ceiling structure. Seems like a lot of people are seeing a recessed alcove above the diagonal panels. I see a flat surface with a C-channel or half of an I-beam exposed. All those wires and lights look like they're clamped to the bottom flange.
  • Navi271
    Offline / Send Message
    Zebnero - Oh, well I think before baking the lights, UDK just guesses on what the lights will look like and doesn't represent a final product at all. I wonder if you just do a quick bake it will fix itself, that is if the UV lightmaps work well. It could just be a weird angle for the pre-baked directional light. As you said though, it should fix itself.

Scoan - Now that you mention that, it does look like a C-channel. I wasn't studying it very much and generalized it a lot.
    I do like what you have so far, and that corner is an interesting problem. I'll be looking forward to how you solve it!
  • billitor
    Offline / Send Message
    billitor polycounter lvl 5
    hi everyone i am new on this forum and i am not native eng speeaker, i see this Challenge, and i do quickly blockout in maya
    0d76e0430c439ff5f0537b28c6fc4d.png
  • Experience
    Offline / Send Message
    Experience polycounter lvl 4
    Hey, decided to join in on this one. Just got some blocking done and I hope ill get time to finish it.

hzQHahN.jpg
  • billitor
    Offline / Send Message
    my quickly blockout

0d76e0430c439ff5f0537b28c6fc4d.png
  • Fizzly
    Offline / Send Message
    Fizzly polycounter lvl 8
    I started on the door piece tonight :) Some of the edges are technically incorrect because I made it by only using photoshop. However I'm quite pleased with the result, and doing it this way saves a lot of time.

5JJt2H2.png
  • Shuaws
    Offline / Send Message
    Shuaws polycounter lvl 5
    Started the textures today so far i have one part of the floor done

og77FGr.jpg
  • serriffe
    Offline / Send Message
    serriffe polycounter lvl 9
    Hi guys- just want to drop by and show my progress. This is a quick screen shot from Maya and using CgFx Kodde Shader. Well, back to work :D

WIPDeusExCorridor_02.jpg
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    barley had time to work last week, but here is what i got.
    deusExHallway03.JPG
  • Cheathem
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheathem polycounter lvl 6
    Hey everyone, nice progress as usual. It feels to early to give critiques and i'm not to comfortable doing it, but here we go.

Serriffe - Im sure you have more panels planned, but right now your floor is really repetitive. I like your wall panels and normals though.

Shuaws - Im not sure what material your going for, but it looks kinda rough.Which is fine unless your going for metal.

Andre.Jonsson - I think the black lines on your texture are over powering your normal map. It looks at if there's only a diffuse and specular on there.

and Navi271 - Thanks for the push lol

Now then, here's my high poly progress. I'm sort of procrastinating baking and texturing so I keep pushing the high poly scene farther and farther. I need to buckle down soon and just get to it.
    Anyways,

wTqgV5Z.png

Of course critiques are welcome,
    And until next time, happy modeling.
  • Shuaws
    Offline / Send Message
    Shuaws polycounter lvl 5
    So update to my first texture just diff and norm gonna work on the other pieces now

3znuhEc.jpg
  • keosar
    Offline / Send Message
    keosar polycounter lvl 16
    Fizzly wrote: »
    I started on the door piece tonight :) Some of the edges are technically incorrect because I made it by only using photoshop. However I'm quite pleased with the result, and doing it this way saves a lot of time.

5JJt2H2.png

Looking good Fizzly, but the door looks a tad wide compared to the concept.
  • Fizzly
    Offline / Send Message
    Fizzly polycounter lvl 8
    I forgot to do some crits in my previous post, so here I go:

@Andre.Jonsson, Texture looks good! I like the brushed metal look you did there using the specular map? Maybe add some smaller details like bolts, that also gives some sense of scale to your panels.

@Cheathem, HP Panels coming a long nicely :). Only minor crit I have is that some of the details/edges might be a little too small for your normalmap to pickup when baking.

@Shuaws, Looking good! But why not try a higher spec value to show off your normals you've put on there ;)

@keosar, Thanks for your comment. Yes it made the door a bit wider than a usual door should be. However looking from the concept. It is drawn in perspective and this means that the width of objects is in fact a bit longer than you might think it is. See this image (Not the best I could find):
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSXjbhNsRhskleOz9dzvlNkJFl3CO5KRS4cJz0yaVejIjOa8PPl0A
    The 'B' - Logo is stretched out looking from the current perspective, but when looking at it from another (camera) angle it seems to be the correct shape. Bit hard to explain. In the end; I made the door a bit wider to achieve a better 1:1 look from concept to 3d.

Keep it up all :)!
  • David Wakelin
    Hi guys,

I've used the perspective match tools in 3DS Max to match the concepts perspective, whilst then using Max's generic units for a 1-1 UDK ratio. I've then used a placeholder human mesh using 32-32-96 for its size... and it looks ridiculously small in comparison to the door?
    ogcn.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  • Shuaws
    Offline / Send Message
    Shuaws polycounter lvl 5
    @Fizzy...lol will do next time I update with the other floor assets and thanks
  • serriffe
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheathem wrote: »

Serriffe - Im sure you have more panels planned, but right now your floor is really repetitive. I like your wall panels and normals though.

Thanks Cheathem, the floor is my first pass at the momment and will definitely keep tweaking it and among the other pieces for this scene-- thanks for the comment :)
  • keosar
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is my second update, Currently working on the floor texture and did a place holder for the wall texture.

Currently working on the bench and HazMat Suit

@Fizzly I see what you mean about the perspective *goes fix my door texture*

anyways cheers C&C always welcome

DeusEX_Scene_WIP002_zps148e6c97.jpg
  • rip3rs
    Really nice stuff in this thread :D
    I think I will participate. Its going to suck but I bet ill learn tons hihihi :D
  • Andre.Jonsson
    Offline / Send Message
    Andre.Jonsson polycounter lvl 5
    @Cheathem: Will fix that! Going to redo the normalmap
    @Fizzly: Yep, it's mostly done in the specular (I use it in the diffuse on a really low opacity, somewhere around 5-10%).
    For those who would like to know how I filled a layer in photoshop -> Filter -> Noise -> Add noise (choose whatever feels right) Filter -> motion blur (direction you want) -> mask out the areas.

Didn't have much time, much to do at work and in school at the moment, but I managed to make a quick bench. Will add the plants later (saved a little spot in the UV for it.

JgZ5Wdw.png
  • Kosai106
    Offline / Send Message
    Kosai106 polycounter lvl 13
    keosar wrote: »
    Looking good Fizzly, but the door looks a tad wide compared to the concept.

I believe creative freedom is allowed. It's a concept after all, not a blue print. :)

Anyway, the concept looks nice, so I might join this months challenge.
  • keosar
    Offline / Send Message
    Kosai106 wrote: »
    I believe creative freedom is allowed. It's a concept after all, not a blue print. :)

Anyway, the concept looks nice, so I might join this months challenge.

I was nitpicking since there wasn't much else wrong with it ^_^.
  • billitor
    Offline / Send Message
    hi everyone, this is my quickly blouckout, i am new in cg and gamedev, and i very want get critique for my work
    ceeed9a616c818d8aa213e1acc8d49.png
  • Zerogun
    Offline / Send Message
    Zerogun polycounter lvl 9
    Okay, been a bit busy trying to figure this out. My goal this month is to make all my hard surface textures by hand through Photoshop using nDo. So far this is my hallway floor tiles. And yes I realize I inadvertently made borders..... ugh
    original_377021_eduzw3e82g2zgsshrhk_tvptt.jpg
  • Ssjtroll
    Offline / Send Message
    Ssjtroll polycounter lvl 8
    Hey all, I am still working. I just got distracted with some Dishonored. I am starting textures now.BlockOut_04.jpg
  • serriffe
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello everyone- looks like most folks are getting up to speed in their work. Well here's my update so far, a screenshot from the Unreal Engine. This is my first pass on getting most of the assets and for the most part, everything is really rough and simplified. I am just doing a color map test with light in Unreal and trying to fully integrate myself in Unreal. ( first time full integration into UDK ) liking Unreal Engine a lot, also in terms of production pipeline- it's awesome.

implemented
    - rough passes on textures and color in UDK
    - integrated 60% of all meshes in UDK
    - 2nd pass light pass
    - first pass on floor shading ( normal, spec, etc.)

things to do
    - refine all diffuse maps
    - refine lighting
    - add remaining props
    - keep working!

WIPDeusExCorridor_03.jpg
  • bigpunn71
    Offline / Send Message
    bigpunn71 polycounter lvl 5
    Hey guys here is my block out so far!! My first time doing this, so this is pretty exciting. Hopefully I will be able to finish!

Control%20Room.jpg
  • Navi271
    Offline / Send Message
    billitor - I'm not seeing anything obviously wrong so far. The only thing I could be picky about is that the indent into the wall for the door on the right shouldn't be that tall. Keep at it!

David Wakelin - I don't use 3DS and have never used the perspective match tools, but shouldn't you just be able to zoom into the "character" while keeping the same vanishing point? 96 units is the same height I was using, so it should work just fine.

serriffe - Looks great, and looks like a great plan as well!

Ssjtroll - It's all good, I was distracted by Metro Last Light today... lol we still have 3 weeks, but ONLY 3!

DeusEx_Hallway4_zpscc38e9e0.png

DeusEx_Hallway3_zps19d235ca.png

These pictures were really quickly taken, and the perspective is definitely not lined up to the concept on the first image. (Please excuse the crappy maya default shading!) Compared to the concept, my hallway is looking a little bit short, the pillars along the walls may stick out a little too far... I may go back if they're easy fixes.

The plan is to cap off each end of the "L," and then make the vents, wires, lights, benches, hazmat suits on the wall, window panes, and the rest of the ceiling. Then I'm on the UV-ing everything!

Also, making this all modular makes it so easy to create this scene.
  • serriffe
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks Navi271, yeah- hopefully all goes well and then some. :)
  • TazN
    Hi guys, I completely forgot I'm on holiday all of next week so I have afew days this week and a week after I come back so pulled my finger out and got on with blocking out. I built the scene up using basic shapes and realised it looked way to short so this is with it duplicated (too lengthen it) so ignore the join issues.

Does the perspective and size all look ok to you?

Next will be getting the floor and walls built properly so that I can just repeat them the full length and add set dressings over it.

wip01_zpsf1786ee8.jpg

Navi - your scene looks very simple but spot on so far. Looking forward to seeing it with some textures on or basic lighting.

Bigpunn - looks to wide compared to the concept, maybe look at bringing the right wall upto the edge of the second floor poly. Bench is also little too wide.

Serriffe - looking very good! Not like the concept except for the overall shapes but to me thats fine, as long as your learning!

Ssjtroll - looks a touch too wide, but not by much.

Zerogun - texture is too yellow, I'd say if your following concept exactly look at dulling it down a little.
  • RobertHedlund
    @Zerogun I like your texture layout and variations. My concern is that the appearance of 'construction' is off-putting. The tiles don't line up from one variation to the next and don't make sense in terms of construction design.
    I like the tone and layout, to be sure.
  • RobertHedlund
    I really dig this. Nice texture and construction.
  • RobertHedlund
    @Cheathem- what do you use for hi-low poly bake? I like the hi-poly model and modeling, but I always get caught converting it to the low poly mesh.
    Thanks
  • Irene
    Today I worked on the textures of the floor. I have some doubt about the brown tile and about the yellow big line.

FloorTex.jpeg
  • RobertHedlund
    The tiles are looking good.
    Couple of suggestions:
    1) Clean up some of the flipped texture patterns, especially in the yellow line.
    2) Create a cloud overlay on the tiles so there is a uniformity to the tiles.
    3) Create the illusion of depth with some shadow and highlight around the holes like you have with the embossing on the tiles. It'll make it look less flat.
    4) Desaturate the colors a bit.
  • InProgress
    Offline / Send Message
    InProgress polycounter lvl 14
    @serriffe: That looks awesome! Looking forward to seeing how your scene turns out. Love the windows!
    @JoachimC: Love the bench!
    @Andre.Jonsson: Great work on the floorss and bench. My only critique for the bench is that the side looks flat. Maybe make it look like it's made out of laminated wood.
    @Irene: Good start. The small tiles need more color variation to them. Maybe check the texture in-engine once in a while to see how the colors look inside the environment.

I've been having some issues with shading in UDK due to the large amount of stacking and overlapping UVs. I'll post more images of the assets when I fix the shading issues.

tyRhK80.jpg
  • Fizzly
    Offline / Send Message
    Fizzly polycounter lvl 8
    @Serrife, very nice! Already in UDK.. thats fast man :P! Is the light blue pipe 's color on the left intended? Or just a placeholder?

@Navi, Nice idea on the corner area.

@Irene, Doesn't look too bad for a start. It looks quite repetitive now. Maybe try to define the shapes of the vents a little bit better on the left. Also try some color variation in the small tiles. And maybe some chipped paint look on the edges of the yellow lines, or scratches :) It needs some wear and tear, but keep it limited since it is metalish.

Worked on a few wall pieces tonight, the main door:

t9CnYGO.png

This is the low poly with normals and a grey diffuse with some fake AO.

[EDIT]
    @InProgress, Nice update. Your scale seems spot on!
  • serriffe
    Offline / Send Message
    @TazN- thanks man, yeah it's coming along nicely- the shape you say? wonder if it's Unreal's camera aspect ratio? -- I'll check into it

@InProgress- thanks! yeah I'm actually curious myself- I'm now reaching uncharted territories in UDK, I haven't really push myself this far in Unreal's pipeline and I'm loving it so far :D

@Fizzly- thanks dude! I really like the Deus concept art as a whole- so I think I'm working a bit faster :P the blue pipes you say? well if you think it's cool- yes I put there intentionally- if you don't, it's placeholder apparently... I'm actually trying out color scheme test in Unreal atm. btw Liking your stuff Fizzly :)
  • Irene
    thanks for all the great advice! :)
  • Huw_Dawson
    Hey Polycount.

I'm going to be jumping on this bus, although I'm a tad late... and I am going to have to learn UDK if I want to actually submit anything.

Here's my blockout. I'm going to be concentrating on the majority of the area, and I'll try to fit in the door and corner at the far end if I have time.

8ttUPbR.jpg

I'll be using Max and Photoshop, with Xnormal for the baking. Nothing else. :)

EDIT: Some REALLY nice stuff so far in this thread. I am 100% not going to match the quality that some of you guys are putting out. :(
  • keosar
    Offline / Send Message
    @serriffe - No real crits, its looking really good!

@Fizzly - the doors look great, are you using any plugins to make the normals?

@Huw_Dawson - Good start, but the scene seems tall or too narrow.

-First pass on the bench bake and texture. I'm going to finalize most of the spec maps together on the final pass.
    -First pass on the HazMat Suits/HP bake and texture

-Still figuring out how I want to do the vegetation.
    -Gonna start refining the wall texture more.
    - Start Hp model of the door/wall at the end of the hallway.

Deus_EX_WIPFile01_Bench_zps273ee420.jpg

Deus_EX_WIPFile01_Bench002_zpsda461e02.jpg
  • Aerial_Knight
    Offline / Send Message
    Aerial_Knight polycounter lvl 8
    Im having trouble making these yellow walls look right. I didn't do an AO or reflect pass yet but I think I have problems with my texture outside of that. Any ideas?

FloorWall_NeilJones_zpsd94cf53d.jpg
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    @Aerial_Knight, make the diffuse, more simplistic, and push your scratches and wear and tear more in the specular texture.

Also try and introduce some changes in gloss values.

i would suggest giving the tiles, and that bit that kinda looks like rubber on the floor drastically different gloss values than the rest.
  • RobertHedlund
    @keosar
    I love how you pushed the design of the bench and planter. The only thing I would say that you have it sitting over the grate in the hallway. Move it up a bit so it's only sitting on tiles.
    I really like the design though!!