Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[Dota 2] - Venomancer - Jidi's Venom set

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
rorozilla polycounter lvl 6
Hey you guys! Fashionably late, like usual... I know! I hope i'll have enough time to finish this entry before this contest ends!

So here are my early concepts: venomancer_concept.jpg

I'll be making more sketches and will be starting to model some stuff really soon.

I want to do an earthy, planty version of the Venomancer. Since he was once an herbalist and part of his transformation was due to a plant, I figured I would get inspired by carnivorous plants and venomous creatures to alter his design!

Here are my inspirations!

venomencer_reff.jpg

I'm going for a look with lots of petals, hope it wont make him look too girly! I also want to make his ward look like a feisty little carnivorous plant! I will get some concepts done for that soon.

Tell me what you guys think! I'm hoping this will stand out form the crowd! there are already so much cool things for the Venomancer! May the most venomous of us all win! ;)

Replies

• Sharc
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharc polycounter lvl 7
    Reminds me of a couple pitcher plant inspired poison spitters and wards I did for Venomancer not too long ago, interested to see where this will go. :P
  • rorozilla
    Offline / Send Message
    hoo! are you also making a set for the Venomancer? I love those pitcher plants! looking at all those references, I kinda wanna find my self one to have in my house, I heard they are pretty plants to hang!
  • rorozilla
    Offline / Send Message
    Ho i have an important question to ask anybody who happens to know, can the misc part of the venomancer set be used anywhere on him? and when they say weapon, are they talking about his arms, or his stingers? same goes for his shoulders, i saw people redo the whole arm, dose it mean that the arm geometry count as well in the shoulders?

sorry for the dummie questions... I just wouldn't want to get mixed up and bust my triangle limite!
  • Sharc
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharc polycounter lvl 7
    I think shoulders slot is the spitters and weapon is just his arms. I did draw up a Venomancer set idea that nobody made (except for the neck frills and tail, those were for someone else but I decided to throw that in at the time). Feel free to use it as inspiration. :P

herLL.png
  • rorozilla
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats awesome! I really love the rattel snack tail! that a really cool concept! Are you modelling your own concepts, or are you collaborating as a concept artiste with other people on this project?

Thanks so much for the inspiration! its really making me think about my concept... ill be working on some more real soon! i would be honoured to have more of your impute on them!
  • Sharc
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharc polycounter lvl 7
    I just offer my services as a concept artist, I don't know how to model. :P
  • Graham
    I honestly think you have a very strong idea here. It just happens to fit so well with his color scheme too.

I am loving it and I can't wait to see more!
  • Beezow
    A problem with the concept of the little.... arms on his back: They spit poison. It might be hard to make that kind of flower spit poison.
  • rorozilla
    Offline / Send Message
    well, you have a point, then again, they could look like they are filled with a poisonous liquide, or a goop, and the top leaf could be rigged to close and open as he spits his ball of poison, I will be working on additional concepts really soon, just to explore all the possibility for his weapons and his ward.
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    I'm incredibly immature because the first thing my brain saw was overhead testicles -.-'

Also, so this post isn't entirely useless, there's this
  • rorozilla
    Offline / Send Message
    HAhahaaha!! awe man! now that you mention it... you are terrible Spudnik!

that reminds me! are the mandibuls part of the head peice, or are they part of the misc item?

Do you think my entry would resemble too much the Scalding Scarf? I really want to go with a more flowery appearance rather than reptilian... let me know if i should go in an other direction!

By that way, the scalding scarf is awesome! i really reminds me of that terrifying dinosaur from Jurassic Parc! That acide spitting reptile gave me nightmares for weeks after i watched it!
  • Graham