Home Technical Talk

Maya Human IK Menu disappears

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
rorozilla polycounter lvl 6
Hello guys!

Just wanted to post the answer to a problem I've had lately, and since I haven't seen a thread on it yet, I figured I would post it here for anybody who might of had the same issue!

So my problem was that on several occasions I would open a Maya scene of a Character I was working on with a Human IK controle systeme all set up and for some reason, the Character Controle tab would show up empty. There would be no way for me to access all of human ik's controls other then the ones in the view port. I would try reopening my scene, and no result. I used to think that my scenes where corrupted because I would usually be able to open a new scene and have access to it the HIK tab again. but here's a trick I figured out...

Solution:
All you have to do is open a maya scene like normal, preferably the one that had issues. And then force an other Maya instance to open and load the same file again! You should have two maya scenes open at once with the same scene loaded, Now Human IK tab should show's up in the last one you opened! I dont know if this is a permanent solution, but at least now you have access to your controles again!

Hope this helps someone!

On an other note, dose anybody know a way to keep the Human IK tab open once you open a scene that was using it, its pretty annoying having to fetch it each time.

Replies

• bejkon
    Offline / Send Message
    bejkon polygon
    You can always bring up the HumanIK panel by choosing the animation menu set and then go to skeleton > HumanIK

I think it's very inconsistent since all the other dockable panels (the channel box, attribute editor, tool setting and the new modeling tools) all have their own designated buttons to the far right in the UI... But for some reason they chose not to have HumanIK there.
  • rorozilla
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah that exactly what I mean, if they just had that button that would be great! or even better just have it auto-load on scenes where it was open! Its a lot of clicks for such an important panel once you get to animating daily with the system. Its more bothersome than anything else, and I understand why they don't auto load it in normal scenes since Human IK is very specific to the task it fulfills, but anyways... There might be a way to create an on load script that forces the tab to open! that would be neat, I'll have to dig up on scripting I suppose!
  • antweiler
    Offline / Send Message
    antweiler polycounter lvl 8
    rorozilla, you can creat a shelf button from every menu items you want. Just open a shelf, where you want your button, go to Skeleton > HumanIK... and click on it with Shift and Ctrl pressed. You get a button with a nice icon
  • rorozilla
    Offline / Send Message
    Hooo great idea Antweiler! That's brilliant! lol i cant believe, I make shelves everyday for animation, and yet I forget about that! Thanks a bunch!