Home Marmoset

Toolbag 2 is on Steam! | Marmoset Toolbag 2 | News & Announcements

Replies

• EarthQuake
    It looks like there is an issue with the auto-update. Try an uninstall and install fresh with the file on the site here: http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/store
  • LRoy
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    It's not in the auto update. A fresh install works.
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • TrevorJ
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    You guys are awesome. thanks again for this. One question how will transparency work? is it read from the color map i see a checkbox that says "alpha from Normal map" should we be putting our alpha in our normal map?

1irGZ5g.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    I think by default alpha should be in diffuse alpha, but certain heros had the alpha in normal.a, so we support that too.
  • Rikk The Gaijin
    Offline / Send Message
    Rikk The Gaijin polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks for the update!
    However, I still have the black boxes bug :(
  • RMeeks
    Not sure how important it is but 16 bit tiff seems broken for normal maps. Really like the IOR and can't wait to play around with the Dota 2 shaders :)
  • Joost
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Hey guys, I've released some free HDRis here

They work pretty well with marmoset, though it helps if you play with the selective brightness sliders a bit. Something like .5-.7 threshold and 2-5 scale usually works.
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    I tried the new substance updates today with the 2.03, however I noticed some little inconveniences.
    It looks like there is not auto-reload of the sbsar, therefore after loading an sbsar the first time, I'm forced to open it again and then manually hit the "place textures" button to get an update. If I do that, the texture size is reset to 256x256 (maybe putting it to 1024 would be better by the way) while the textures displayed are still at the size I chosen.

Also, because of the automatic placement, I can't re-use my diffuse output for loading it in an other slot for example (some of my sbsar store the ambient-occlusion in the Alpha channel of my diffuse).

I can work like that of course, I just wanted to share what I noted.
  • EarthQuake
    I’ve been out of the country the past couple weeks, so sorry if I’m a little delayed in responding to some of these.

Yury wrote: »
    Hey, guys! I have a nasty self shadowing problem in Toolbag2. Here on the first screenshot I designated the problem areas. This straps have a little bit of thickness and in the most areas opposite faces are deleted, however in some areas they are not because I need them to be there and it's what causing this nasty self shadowing issue.

What's more strange is that if I'll hide the body of the car which is the biggest part of the mesh, most of the self shadowing instantly get fixed except for some areas

Turning Contact Refinement on and off for the light source do not help. Ofcourse I can just simply delete all the opposite faces on the straps (this fixes the issue), but then I'll loose some of the shadows that they are casting, especially on the wheel and sleeping bag rolls which is not good. Any ideas what's going on here and how this issue can be solved?

This is a known issue and in our bug system, we just haven’t been able to find a fix for it yet.

stevston89’s suggestions are a good way to work around it.

MeshMagnet wrote: »
    Is there a way to get orthographic views, top, right side, front etc ? For example, it seems like setting up a full scene with object, lights etc could get rather complicated just by using the 3d view. Sorry if this exists, I just downloaded it...

By the way, thanks for putting this out, it's amazing. 9HDshUVtolbBFcimFUYjAlTIsbb_dy4IB3uC7COb4h8KE4sBFmWfCVfT1px97zOdGU4D4QyW9sI-1lTPiP0YXZC2Br0cOdQZBL8wYMRwRtvNHb2lUPvqD4b-SQ

Sorry, there is currently no way to do ortho views.

RMeeks wrote: »
    I have a quick question reguarding AO and the sky light. It seems as though if you don't have a sky light you will not get AO between two seperate objects. This causes things to seem floaty. I made a test scene to illustrate what I am talking about.
    With the skylight turned on:

without the skylight and a point light casting shadows.

This is working as expected. Ambient occlusion only occludes ambient light, in TB2 ambient light comes from the diffuse contribution of the image based lighting. So if you have no sky lighting(ambient light) the AO effect will not have any impact.

What you probably want here is a more advanced radiosity or direct occlusion type solution, which unfortunately we do not offer at this time.

Xoliul wrote: »
    Hey I've tried a few times to use a Substance file in Marmoset and it only kind of works...
    What are the mappings to auto-place textures? I figured out Smoothness/roughness = gloss, but my Metallic map is ending up in the Albedo slot for some reason? I know how to use these things in Substance, so I think something's wrong with Toolbag l4I1NmGCoX3_7An9LL7PIB9iJcY0rnRAIaUXykxQ3VoAGzU23gKEyGLaHRljWzgifAnhIZLYGNqnf0gFkPGjLUOaK5F2LRUJGsIrNZDSuH8vKhT1arTD-HB5Ig
    I can't find any documentation about this!

edit: I can give you some suggestions on how to improve it, but I'd like to know the facts of what is there first...

I talked to Laurens a bit about this, but in case anyone else is curious the latest 2.03 build improves Substance Designer 4 support.

agitat3d wrote: »
    Hey,

can someone explain to me what the "sRGB colour space" option is doing in the materiel options?

I assumed that all normal maps use RGB colour space however my assets seem to behave weird when this is checked.

My spec map appears dead and the normal maps don't behave as expected.

When turning it off things seem to look better.

An explanation to what is happening or if I may be doing something wrong would be really helpful.

Thanks everyone.

sRGB color space = gamma space
    sRGB off = linear space

Normal maps should always be linear space, and gloss/roughness maps tend to be linear space as well. So these both default to linear space.
    Diffuse/albedo and specular maps tend to be sRGB/gamma space, so they default to sRGB, but may be linear space depending on your exact workflow, which is why it is an optional per-texture setting.

Hey EarthQuake, isn't this your model at ~1:56?

http://youtu.be/Qe10ExwzCqk

Yes it is, thats a Skyshop demo showcasing my Vespa. I’m famous with the Googles apparently!

Thanks for the update!
    However, I still have the black boxes bug lJYljQiVgFPSgEpbTXOnZAvmtcBl_QtTRii5yccufGe7fiQ0_8-nHuCPMZBOYVXu7bvn_5FuKnXEfCYXtVd4kDfDdO6yKbOPNfJ1Nad0D_LbEQy2nfF0Vo9LoQ

See this post: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1972346&postcount=530

And let me know if that clears it up or if you are still having issues when loading a new mesh (if so please get me a copy of that scene).

RMeeks wrote: »
    Not sure how important it is but 16 bit tiff seems broken for normal maps. Really like the IOR and can't wait to play around with the Dota 2 shaders s4J_jLHhOVPgWR4t3lhbj8-rsk1NwNNZWgv7hmStmJGC8SKABDQrpRUgUfSb6qxGMRu2rv557HQZ-gnRDvpeI3zPZ9FPmV1T2VX9ujw0AYEfRUHYENzk7bqM1g

Unfortunately this is likely due to our TIFF loader, which loads 16bit content as 8bit, this is not something that we will likely fix any time soon, so use the PSD format instead.

komaokc wrote: »
    Hey guys, I've released some free HDRis here

They work pretty well with marmoset, though it helps if you play with the selective brightness sliders a bit. Something like .5-.7 threshold and 2-5 scale usually works.

Awesome, thanks for sharing!

Froyok wrote: »
    I tried the new substance updates today with the 2.03, however I noticed some little inconveniences.
    It looks like there is not auto-reload of the sbsar, therefore after loading an sbsar the first time, I'm forced to open it again and then manually hit the "place textures" button to get an update. If I do that, the texture size is reset to 256x256 (maybe putting it to 1024 would be better by the way) while the textures displayed are still at the size I chosen.

Also, because of the automatic placement, I can't re-use my diffuse output for loading it in an other slot for example (some of my sbsar store the ambient-occlusion in the Alpha channel of my diffuse).

I can work like that of course, I just wanted to share what I noted.

Thanks for the feedback, I’ll get this logged in our system here.

• Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Got a few things.

The Depth of Field always seems to give a hard transition between blurred an not blurred; this makes it hard to get pretty shots, because if you want, say, half a mesh blurred, you can see a hard transition line. Am I doing something wrong, or is it just the way it is? I've tried all the different settings. If this isn't something that can be fixed, maybe have a "depth" display setting, so you can manually do it in photoshop.

The other thing; the film grain isn't nearly as good as the grain in dDo's viewer. In dDo's viewer, it's animated, and you can select Canon or Nikon, and adjust the ISO level. In Marmoset 2, it feels quite tiled and static, and just not as pretty. (and now that I look, the DOF seems a little better, too; though the controls are less intuitive.)
  • BARDLER
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    I have a question, does Marmoset 2 care about geometry being instanced or not? Like if I have 100 meshes that are duplicated compared to combining those 100 meshes into one single mesh then loading it? Will there be any performance differences?
  • Illusive
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusive polycounter lvl 8
    noob question: Do i need the full version to get transparency to work? the trial doesn't have anything in the drop down
  • Eric Williams
    Offline / Send Message
    Eric Williams polycounter lvl 16
    How do you use the detail map for the dota shader? Anything I drop into the slot doesn't seem to show any change.
  • praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    @new2lw - do you also have the red channel in mask 1 set up for detail or are you just dropping in the detail texture?
  • Yury
    Offline / Send Message
    Yury polycounter lvl 8
    Illusive wrote: »
    noob question: Do i need the full version to get transparency to work? the trial doesn't have anything in the drop down

If your transparency is defined by a mask then it needs to be in the alpha channel of your albedo texture and the transparency mode should be set to Cutout
  • Eric Williams
    Offline / Send Message
    Eric Williams polycounter lvl 16
    Thanks praetus, I was unaware that detail map was dependent on the mask 1 map. Filled the red channel with white and works great. Are there official documents for Marmoset?

If anyone is interested, this might be relevant to Marmoset toolbag now:

http://media.steampowered.com/apps/dota2/workshop/Dota2ShaderMaskGuide.pdf
  • mospheric
    Offline / Send Message
    mospheric polycounter lvl 11
    I've downloaded and used the trial of Marmoset 1 in the past. I recently tried to download the trial of Marmoset 2, and it keeps telling me that my trial has expired. Anyone else experience this issue?
  • EarthQuake
    Joopson wrote: »
    Got a few things.
    Joopson wrote: »

The Depth of Field always seems to give a hard transition between blurred an not blurred; this makes it hard to get pretty shots, because if you want, say, half a mesh blurred, you can see a hard transition line. Am I doing something wrong, or is it just the way it is? I've tried all the different settings. If this isn't something that can be fixed, maybe have a "depth" display setting, so you can manually do it in photoshop.

Sorry no, there isn’t anything you can do about the bokeh transition, the harsh edge is a technical limitation.

The other thing; the film grain isn't nearly as good as the grain in dDo's viewer. In dDo's viewer, it's animated, and you can select Canon or Nikon, and adjust the ISO level. In Marmoset 2, it feels quite tiled and static, and just not as pretty. (and now that I look, the DOF seems a little better, too; though the controls are less intuitive.)

Thanks for the feedback!

BARDLER wrote: »
    I have a question, does Marmoset 2 care about geometry being instanced or not? Like if I have 100 meshes that are duplicated compared to combining those 100 meshes into one single mesh then loading it? Will there be any performance differences?

By instancing do you mean duplicating in Toolbag itself vs loading a mesh multiple times? There would be no difference in that case.

Meshes instanced in your 3d app will not load in as instanced in toolbag.

If you have 100 mesh chunks all using the same material, its probably better to import them as one object rather than individual mesh chunks (unless you need to rearrange them) because this would result in lower draw calls, which probably has some effect on performance.

Illusive wrote: »

The trial version is not feature limited in any way other than the inability to turn off the watermark. To get alpha you need to select an alpha mode from the transparency module, ie: dithered, cutout or add. You also need to make sure to place your alpha map in the alpha of the diffuse/albedo texture.

new2lw wrote: »
    Thanks praetus, I was unaware that detail map was dependent on the mask 1 map. Filled the red channel with white and works great. Are there official documents for Marmoset?
    new2lw wrote: »

If anyone is interested, this might be relevant to Marmoset toolbag now:

http://media.steampowered.com/apps/dota2/workshop/Dota2ShaderMaskGuide.pdf

We have some tutorials here: http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn but no official documentation/help file at this time.

mospheric wrote: »
    I've downloaded and used the trial of Marmoset 1 in the past. I recently tried to download the trial of Marmoset 2, and it keeps telling me that my trial has expired. Anyone else experience this issue?

Please send an email to support@marmoset.co describing the problem and include the email address that you’re using to log in with.
  • MM
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    is there a way to focus camera on a certain point on mesh ?

if not, please consider that a feature request.

middle click on anywhere on mesh and then alt+F to focus on that.
  • EarthQuake
    MM wrote: »
    is there a way to focus camera on a certain point on mesh ?

if not, please consider that a feature request.

middle click on anywhere on mesh and then alt+F to focus on that.

MMB to auto focus on any point, and then click "sticky focus" in the camera properties, this will attempt to retain focus on that point.
  • MM
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    MMB to auto focus on any point, and then click "sticky focus" in the camera properties, this will attempt to retain focus on that point.

sorry, i meant to say camera framing and not focus.

the idea is to be able to orbit camera on any point on mesh.
  • Tits
    Online / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Blerp, has been answered, nevermind that
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Importing a 16bit .tif from xnormal seems bugged at the moment. It shows up much darker than it actually is (not an sRGB problem). Converting the normal map to 8bit tif or tga works. I swear 16bit worked fine in 201/202?
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Still annoyed with transparency textures having to reside in another texture's alpha-channel.. it makes pre-viz slower.
  • tosbin
  • Dantert
    Offline / Send Message
    Dantert polycounter lvl 10
    I have a question, how do I make semitransparent matelials like colored glass or a smoky fade out on an object, or water? Is it possible in Marmoset Toolbag2? I can't find the right way...
    Also I've saved my scene with some lights with cast shadows turned on and now when I reload the scene I can't see the lights if I don't turn off cast shadows...how do I fix this?
  • EarthQuake
    sorry, i meant to say camera framing and not focus. the idea is to be able to orbit camera on any point on mesh.

Ah ok I see, thanks for the suggestion.

Bek wrote: »
    Importing a 16bit .tif from xnormal seems bugged at the moment. It shows up much darker than it actually is (not an sRGB problem). Converting the normal map to 8bit tif or tga works. I swear 16bit worked fine in 201/202?

Could you please send me the files that you’re having an issue with? Idealy an 8bit nm, 16bit, and the model you’re loading them on.

I know we have an issue with 16bit TIFFs loading as 8bit content (limitation of our loader), but I haven’t seen an issue where the content is loaded at a different brightness.

You can also try re-saving as PSD format in the short term.

cptSwing wrote: »
    Still annoyed with transparency textures having to reside in another texture's alpha-channel.. it makes pre-viz slower.

Thanks for the feedback.

Dantert wrote: »
    I have a question, how do I make semitransparent matelials like colored glass or a smoky fade out on an object, or water? Is it possible in Marmoset Toolbag2? I can't find the right way...

You can add transparency with the transparency module in the material, click the drop-down on the right to select a transparency type, add is good for glass, cutout is standard alpha testing and dithered is good for mostly opaque objects that need fuzzy edges like hair.
    Also I've saved my scene with some lights with cast shadows turned on and now when I reload the scene I can't see the lights if I don't turn off cast shadows...how do I fix this?

Interesting, could you please upload your scene so I can have a look? Thanks

• Pioldes
    Offline / Send Message
    Pioldes polycounter lvl 5
    Hello!

I need to make turntable renders of some characters and I can't figure out how to only have the character mesh rotating instead of the entire scene.

It was pretty straightforward in Toolbag 1, but the only things I seem to find are Scene Turntable, Camera Turntable, or Sky Turntable.

Thing is, the lights are included in the scene turntable, so they rotate with the model.

Any way to fix that?

Thanks!
  • MM
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    Pioldes wrote: »
    Thing is, the lights are included in the scene turntable, so they rotate with the model.

are you sure ?

when i use scene turntable i see only the model rotating and the sky+lights are all fixed.

if you created any custom lights other than by clicking on the light editor then you need to drag that light under the sky so that it doesnt rotate with scene.

even though sky(and its childs) looks like it is child of scene, it does not rotate in scene turntable.
  • EarthQuake
    Pioldes wrote: »
    Hello!

I need to make turntable renders of some characters and I can't figure out how to only have the character mesh rotating instead of the entire scene.

It was pretty straightforward in Toolbag 1, but the only things I seem to find are Scene Turntable, Camera Turntable, or Sky Turntable.

Any way to fix that?

Thanks!

Try parenting all lights to the sky object, this way they shouldn't rotate with the model when scene is the turntable type.
  • tynew
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    Is there much of a difference when texturing for either linear color space or gamma?
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Could you please send me the files that you’re having an issue with? Idealy an 8bit nm, 16bit, and the model you’re loading them on.

I know we have an issue with 16bit TIFFs loading as 8bit content (limitation of our loader), but I haven’t seen an issue where the content is loaded at a different brightness.

sent a pm. If someone else could check .16bit tif from xnormal with 2.03 that'd be good in case it is just me with this problem.
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    EarthQuake and others, another question regarding the metalness workflow. I like to make my albedo first, then I like to make my metalness, and then finally tune gloss. The challenge I run into is when I'm happy with my diffuse, once I apply the metalness map those parts of the model become very dark (which is fine I fully understand that metalness colourizes the spec and darkens the albedo), but this causes me to then have to go back into the albedo and tune that in unison with the metalness map to keep parts of the model from becoming undesirably dark by brightening the albedo. This can be a bit tricky and becomes arbitrary pretty fast.

My question would be, is the automatic darkening of the albedo a linear process, e.g. if I like my diffuse values prior to metalness application could I apply a curves layer in photoshop to exactly reverse the effect of the darkening in the albedo. Let's say I set my metalness to 70% is there some predictable way to determine how dark that will make the albedo, or is some fancy nonlinear darkening going on?
  • almighty_gir
  • Swizzle
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Figured I'd share this in here since it was made with Marmoset in mind. Been chipping away at it over the past few days to try and learn some more advanced materials stuff.

8GkOvTp.jpg
  • stevston89
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    @ malcom - You need to be using the albedo to control your metal reflectance. It doesn't just colorize your spec. The diffuse/ albedo is made black and then it uses the information painted in the albedo as the specular/ reflectance control. If you want to control both the albedo and the reflectance you shouldn't be using the metalness workflow.
  • MM
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    practicing/learning PBR with PBP (physically based potato)

http://www.fx81.com/temp3/tb2/PBP/PBP.7z

PBP_Platinum.jpg

PBP_Copper.jpg

PBP_Gold.jpg
  • MM
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    another feature request, it would be nice to be able to collect all scene textures and copy+archive them to a folder along with the .tbscene file.

sort of like Max's resource collector.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Playing with some mats.
    Styrofoam one.

foamy.jpg
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    That goose is a rich so of a ...
    I know its a po-ta-to, i am pretending.
    Nice stuff mm
  • reedweinstock
    Offline / Send Message
    reedweinstock polycounter lvl 8
    If I use a microfiber map for dust does the black areas render as Lambert? Would this be good idea?

Reed
  • BenLind

sRGB color space = gamma space
    sRGB off = linear space

Normal maps should always be linear space, and gloss/roughness maps tend to be linear space as well. So these both default to linear space.
    Diffuse/albedo and specular maps tend to be sRGB/gamma space, so they default to sRGB, but may be linear space depending on your exact workflow, which is why it is an optional per-texture setting.

Is there any specific reason for having the roughness map in linear space while the reflectance isn't?
  • NanoTurtle

You can also try re-saving as PSD format in the short term.

I seem to be getting the same issue. 16-bit .tiffs straight out of xNormal are darker and give bad results.
    Converting to 16-bit .png or 8-bit .tiff works though the NM shows up brighter in the preview.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/haj7sfb1y09yiib/Explosive01.zip

Loving TB2 so far. Looks like I know what I'll be getting for my b-day. :)
  • Swizzle
    Offline / Send Message
    Question:

Is there a way to mask secondary reflection? I'm interested in using anisotropic shading for something I'm working on, but I don't want there to be aniso spec on certain parts of the same mesh chunk.
  • EarthQuake
    Sorry for the late responses here, been busy gearing up for GDC.

tynew wrote: »
    Is there much of a difference when texturing for either linear color space or gamma?

Not really in how you create the content, you should use whichever options your target engine (if you’re sending the work out to another engine) uses. If you’re just making it for your portfolio/TB2 exclusively you don’t need to worry about it.

Bek wrote: »
    sent a pm. If someone else could check .16bit tif from xnormal with 2.03 that'd be good in case it is just me with this problem.

Thanks! I will have a look.

malcolm wrote: »
    EarthQuake and others, another question regarding the metalness workflow. I like to make my albedo first, then I like to make my metalness, and then finally tune gloss. The challenge I run into is when I'm happy with my diffuse, once I apply the metalness map those parts of the model become very dark (which is fine I fully understand that metalness colourizes the spec and darkens the albedo), but this causes me to then have to go back into the albedo and tune that in unison with the metalness map to keep parts of the model from becoming undesirably dark by brightening the albedo. This can be a bit tricky and becomes arbitrary pretty fast.

My question would be, is the automatic darkening of the albedo a linear process, e.g. if I like my diffuse values prior to metalness application could I apply a curves layer in photoshop to exactly reverse the effect of the darkening in the albedo. Let's say I set my metalness to 70% is there some predictable way to determine how dark that will make the albedo, or is some fancy nonlinear darkening going on?

First of to your question, a metalness value of 70% would give you a diffuse value of 30%, its pretty much Diffuse - Metalness value.

Now secondly, I would really, really recommend working on all of your maps at once. With modern shaders it doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to me to set up your diffuse first, as all of the maps (diffuse/spec or metalness/gloss/normals) play a big role in material definition.

another feature request, it would be nice to be able to collect all scene textures and copy+archive them to a folder along with the .tbscene file.

sort of like Max's resource collector.

Thanks, another for the list.

If I use a microfiber map for dust does the black areas render as Lambert? Would this be good idea?

Reed

Yeah, black in hte microfiber/fuzz map reverts back to lambert/masks the fuss effect. For dust, you certainly could do this, seems like a good idea to me.

BenLind wrote: »
    Is there any specific reason for having the roughness map in linear space while the reflectance isn't?

This is just what we feel is common from our experience, but we know it may vary, so we have the option available to switch.

NanoTurtle wrote: »
    I seem to be getting the same issue. 16-bit .tiffs straight out of xNormal are darker and give bad results.
    Converting to 16-bit .png or 8-bit .tiff works though the NM shows up brighter in the preview.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/haj7sfb1y09yiib/Explosive01.zip

Loving TB2 so far. Looks like I know what I'll be getting for my b-day. lzer-rFHb8-mpcySgmzPJKUzRDGlhUkOVvyl6s3tGUia9ajmvNi2u9n0F0C4BhNHJKQaC3k9QzKkFk0MQYPWbJ4EBYZA9Hiv8P6SOcJ4I89Hyw8UHqCAb6PuZC1-BQ

I will check it out, thanks!

• Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Is there a way to have the color of the AO (either the SSAO or the AO and Cavity maps) adjusted in Marmoset 2? Say I want to change the "darks" of the AO to a brown, or something. Is there a way to do that?
  • Swizzle
    Offline / Send Message
    AO in Marmoset 2 actually darkens the ambient lighting pass in any area where the AO is darker - or at least that's my understanding of it - so I don't think so.
  • EarthQuake
    Swizzle wrote: »
    AO in Marmoset 2 actually darkens the ambient lighting pass in any area where the AO is darker - or at least that's my understanding of it - so I don't think so.

This is correct, in addition to that the AO slot only pulls from a single channel (expecting an 8bit input), so if you load in a 24bit input that is colorized, the result will vary depending on which channel selector you use.

The only way to use colored AO currently is to multiply it directly on your diffuse map.
  • reedweinstock
    Offline / Send Message
    reedweinstock polycounter lvl 8
    Material Definition questions

Im kind of stumped on what the Reflectance color should be. Im working on an rpg7 . For the green rocket paint my Albedo = 5c5126 Microsurface = 808080 Reflectance = 403b2f. For wood guard on the tube i am wanting brown paint (not stained). Albedo = 26221c Microsurface = 656565 Reflectance = 3c3a37.

Metal Reference
    G2xJxuY.jpg

Brown Paint Reference
    TamW1IF.jpg

Reed