Home Dota 2

Vayne4800's workshop

Replies

• belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    I'm liking it so far! I'd suggest you to add some more highlights, specially around the edges, and saturate the colors a bit more, making those blades really pop.

Also, I'd really suggest using this mat for painting stuff for Dota. Someone (I think Neox?) posted it on the Hangout a while ago, and I just absolutely love it.
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    Thanks belkun for the feedback. I think I worked with what you said but in PS since I was at that stage and I felt i needed more control there. Hope it looks better. Either way, comments are appreciated.

The axe is ingame with what I believe is final/semi final maps. Please feedback before I go to the marketing stage.

EZQIa08.jpg
    uTbS4ys.gif
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te polycounter lvl 4
    nice, very nice
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    I think the middle edge on the blade is a bit loose and would deserve more pinch and i would have go more pointy on the top. Just a matter of taste tho.
    Nice shape overall :]
    o0623j16.jpg
    o0623j16.jpghttp:
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My latest entry. Not only was the concept great, but I added a custom animation for the alternate autoattack animation. Special thanks to Prophet9 for his guidance and putting up with me harassing him continously with questions! He is awesome!

Unstoppable Chaos by Vayne and Noblebatterfly

039A7F6774786F97BCBB1B29A6B3919E6385AD3A

yWizTh9.jpg
    ubvAmqE.gif
    F3uyx44.gif
    TJ1dgLt.gif

Please excuse me for not including ingame gifs of the new animation since testing in game broke other stuff and so it wasn't really practical to show.

Hope you like this. Link is on the Promo art if you would like to vote ^^.
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My first contribution to the Spring 2014 event. Ember Spirit blades. Concept by Ike! Sculpt is halfway finished.

JwfCSha.jpgnp9Zjzz.jpg
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My second Spring2014 item. This is the base mesh! Gonna have some fun sculpting later today.

5a2wFYe.jpg
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    The general silhouette of this piece is beastly. Really like the Horse talisman as well. What is the piece on the hilt going to be? At the moment its not reading well, but as you said, base mesh haha.
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That will be used for hair strands with alpha.
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, here is an almost final sculpt of the Juggernaut Horse Blade (temp name!). Concept by Stefco.

Let me know if you spot anything or if I should improve anything.

wol_error.gifThis image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x603.QrCzaK8.jpg
  • agito666
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 wrote: »
    Alright, here is an almost final sculpt of the Juggernaut Horse Blade (temp name!). Concept by Stefco.

Let me know if you spot anything or if I should improve anything.

wol_error.gifThis image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x603.QrCzaK8.jpg

just make sure the handle is not share same pattern with katana, from my little knowledge of chinese weapon doesn't not have same pattern for the handle wrapping like katana....

ya chinese and japanese both are oriental style and very easy to mix...
  • kendmd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kendmd polycounter lvl 5
    The horse's cheek looks really weird. It's too chubby. Look at some horse photos for reference.

And the handle wrap is indeed very Japanese. Again, a little research goes a long way :)

Otherwise, nice sculpt.
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really appreciate the feedback! Thanks!

Regarding the handle wrap, I did some googling and image searches and found that a Chinese sword is called Dao. I also found that despite that the wrap isn't prominent on Dao, can still be found on some of them.

As for the horse cheek. You are right that it is a bit on the chubby side. Maybe Stefco wanted to exaggerate the head features a bit from the real thing as, from googling, seem to be a bit on the flat side. So i believe he went to stylize it towards the game. I will confirm that with him when he is back. Otherwise, we will adjust it.
  • agito666
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really appreciate the feedback! Thanks!

Regarding the handle wrap, I did some googling and image searches and found that a Chinese sword is called Dao. I also found that despite that the wrap isn't prominent on Dao, can still be found on some of them.

As for the horse cheek. You are right that it is a bit on the chubby side. Maybe Stefco wanted to exaggerate the head features a bit from the real thing as, from googling, seem to be a bit on the flat side. So i believe he went to stylize it towards the game. I will confirm that with him when he is back. Otherwise, we will adjust it.

Dao /刀 = Knife /sword / dagger / any sharp metal in chinese... too common word for that.

can you try post the image you searched in google? i can help a little to check that is a fictional chinese sword or not. (i mean i can go in and read the article, sometime it might be taobao (chinese e-bay) website that selling sword for those collector.
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    agito666 wrote: »
    Dao /刀 = Knife /sword / dagger / any sharp metal in chinese... too common word for that.

can you try post the image you searched in google? i can help a little to check that is a fictional chinese sword or not. (i mean i can go in and read the article, sometime it might be taobao (chinese e-bay) website that selling sword for those collector.

I didn't keep any links or images. Sorry.

Either way, I haven't seen any clear cut reference that states that the wrap are 100% exclusive to Japan. Not that I searched much. It is definitely Japanese dominant. Though does that mean it never was on the Chinese side? I personally doubt that, ofcourse this is more of my expectation that due to the country size and rich history.
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Although that style of wrapping (Tsukamaki) is very well known for it's use on Japanese katanas and the like, here is a supposedly Chinese sword using very similar wrapping:

chinese-dao-sword-with-pierced-brass-dragon-designs-2-5190.jpg

I think that due to the immediate recognition you get with a Japanese sword, it might be worth changing to something more neutral. Of course most of it is hidden by the hand anyway.
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    THUNDER HORSES!...err... anyway. Here it is ingame. With particle which seems to be very hard to balance out. Checked accepted swords that had particle and they weren't balanced. Not sure if this is intended.

As for the wraps. Well, as you can see. It is debatable on many levels. Will discuss it further with Stefco and see what we will do about it.

zvsasNT.jpg
  • kendmd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kendmd polycounter lvl 5
    MdK wrote: »
    Although that style of wrapping (Tsukamaki) is very well known for it's use on Japanese katanas and the like, here is a supposedly Chinese sword using very similar wrapping:

chinese-dao-sword-with-pierced-brass-dragon-designs-2-5190.jpg

I think that due to the immediate recognition you get with a Japanese sword, it might be worth changing to something more neutral. Of course most of it is hidden by the hand anyway.

The cloth look like they're tied differently from katanas.
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    gin-no-senshi-tsukamaki-03.jpg

It's the same. It's just not as neat.

Sorry to spam your thread Vayne.
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nah it is totally fine. Healthy discussion.
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, first Spring2014 item is up. We really poured some effort into this and we hope if you enjoy it.

Jian Sheng Ma Dao by Vayne and Stefco

1C8D9799A71B6996D2530D2CEAAEB553748A2405

EoRQ5GI.jpg
    hNuibDt.jpg
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    Just a heds up!! One thing about visibility that I remember was to make item private and than public again and it will show up in workshop.
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried that. Didn't help.
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, we have finished painting and masking our Ember Spirit blades. Though, I do feel that the paint could use some redirection but I am a bit lost on where to take it. Would really love to hear what you guys think to make this item work better.

EMtTDd3.jpg
  • agito666
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, we have finished painting and masking our Ember Spirit blades. Though, I do feel that the paint could use some redirection but I am a bit lost on where to take it. Would really love to hear what you guys think to make this item work better.

EMtTDd3.jpg

i thought the blade is designed holding in another side....

anyway it is a nice blade, but in game the flame will continue on there or the blade is just like the screencap?
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It is screencap but with suble detail map on it and selfillum, which the latter I believe is evident in this screen.
  • agito666
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It is screencap but with suble detail map on it and selfillum, which the latter I believe is evident in this screen.

nah i mean, original Xin's blade got very bright flame particle on that right? that one can be disabled and change the effect (to lesser visible or something to fit the design) ?
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    agito666 wrote: »
    nah i mean, original Xin's blade got very bright flame particle on that right? that one can be disabled and change the effect (to lesser visible or something to fit the design) ?

Oh that flame is only on default blades. We can't use it.
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, the Ember Spirit blades for the Spring2014 are considered done. Time to move to bigger stuff!

Pheonix Dao by Vayne and Ike

04EF97EE1229BA3B976F5C024E6121437F056426

lk9Vfoe.jpg
  • DotaFX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn! love the blades! those textures and feel ttly suits the hero! Kudos Vayne n Ike !
  • Chaos Prophet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like this blades!
  • agito666
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I actually like it holding in reverse way, judging by the sword's curve, but this way also kinda fresh too :3
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progress on Abaddon set. Started with the mount. Basically retaining a horse and changing armor. Already have a lot of diverse creatures in the store ^^. Please crits. Just started sculpting.

CoMR2tb.jpg
  • BladeofEvilsBane
    I'm not sure if it's by intention or accident so I'll point it out; right now his proportions look vaguely like the horse cave painting at Lascaux, I'm not sure if that's due to his armor making him look pudgy or if the legs are too short or what. Overall the sculpt looks very clean, nicely done.
  • Shock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    it looks a littlebit like a pony. i think u can fix it if u just make the belly a little more slim :)
  • mrpresident
  • kendmd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kendmd polycounter lvl 5
    He's using the original Abaddon horse model, sadly it comes with shitty proportions :(.
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    Yeah, i wanted to comment on that too, but then i checked ingame, and yeah, abaddon rides a pony.
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback. As mentioned by Ken, the proportions are similar to Abaddon's mount. Here is some progress on the sculpt.

I89ZMVt.jpg
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te polycounter lvl 4
    he has been since release. kinda weird
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just finished making the base mesh for the Spring2014 Abaddon set. Concept by foxclover/fox/fishie!

wol_error.gifThis image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 2400x850.wp6abtd.jpg

Will start on sculpting and refining form, if needed. Please feedback any comments. Greatly appreciate them.
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It has been going slow for me but it is progress. Here is a very early paint of the Abaddon set that I was working for Spring2014 event. Note that there are lots of areas missing gradients and other areas where I am still not sure if I will change the color scheme. I would love to hear what you think so far. Oh also, I am using a "dotamat" matcap so nothing fancy in that regards.

42I0QcN.jpg
    oQP09Tf.jpg
  • danjohncox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danjohncox polycounter lvl 7
    This looks fantastic though I'm not sure it looks like Abaddon :( more like a super hero knight then something akin to a wraith knight. Maybe look at making that armour more ragged? Same design but much more roughed up?
  • Oroboros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That Abaddon is looking absolutely amazing. I like that there's a slight departure from Abaddon's default colors, but I think it still fits him really well. Please finish it!
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oroboros wrote: »
    That Abaddon is looking absolutely amazing. I like that there's a slight departure from Abaddon's default colors, but I think it still fits him really well. Please finish it!

Really appreciate you coming in here and posting. Means a lot to me. I plan to finish the set within February. The colors will be revisited and will be adding some more subtle detail to the sculpt.
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on a concept by Stefco for LC. We pushing the boundaries and have other elements in store for this weapon.

wol_error.gifThis image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1860x2631.PQFAJn4.jpg

Early sculpt WIP.

nPZ676z.jpg
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished the sculpt on this weapon. Will move to retopo and UVW, then hand it over to Stefco to do his magic. While I work on other magic ;).

7IGIX6u.jpg

Crits welcome.
  • Andumy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andumy polygon
    the handdle is really nice.The only thing that i don't like is that the damage ,if you think a bit, is not well done.What i mean is that it got a lot of cuts and scratches on it ,like a shield,but an "axe"/lance don't gets usually cuts on the side faces,it gets beaten and cracked on the sharp part.:D
  • MagnoHusein
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I didn't understand this part very well:

3ihKKq2.png

It's a hole, but there is something inside of it?