lWsAqkO.jpg

Items currently in Game:

ELbaPKg.pngehZzmWb.png2zR5FQV.pngNB6SJun.png8nN36ds.png

Current Work in Progress:

Replies

• hopgood
    Offline / Send Message
    hopgood polycounter lvl 12
    Realised I haven't updated this in a while so here is the current WIP of the Storm set

9Qj3yEZ.jpg
  • hopgood
    Offline / Send Message
    So considering last month was a huge time commitment and I didn't plan my time accordingly I have decided to start with maybe just 1 item for each of the 3 entries and then see if a set comes to mind later. I wont neccesarily build a set for this months contest but I think 3 items could get the creative juices flowing.

So, Phantom Assassin is first,

Just doodling out some concepts

hmgPtgB.jpg

I quite liked the bottom one so I decided to block something out and do a quick low poly test in engine to see the shapes.

X3IJske.jpg
  • hopgood
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished these two pieces for the April Contest

fhWQMke.jpgBbv2tGC.jpg

And I have begun sketching out some rough ideas for things to do this month. Going to try some items for characters I tend to play more often, provided they are available

NzjkVyM.jpg
  • hopgood
    Offline / Send Message
    Still working on churning out some more items for May including this Slark head piece

rxd6KNK.jpg
  • hopgood
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on things I have been working on this month. Hopefully to have a collection of at least 6-7 items for the end of May.

tAUfRWW.jpg
  • Hudston
    Offline / Send Message
    Hudston polycounter lvl 10
    All really impressive stuff. I can't even pick a favourite out of that item collection!
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    Nice! The only thing that stands out to me is the shell on Slark, I'd say either turn it around so the rounded part is at the bottom or show how it's attached to the strap. Kepp up the good work!
  • hopgood
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys, I've adjusted that shell now. Here is a preview of my Slardar piece for the pack

QyG0pXF.jpg
  • hopgood
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on my collection so far, Just base diffuses on most of these with no real shaders. Will work on getting Centaur and Skywrath ready tomorrow and then polish the diffuse and shaders until the end of the month.

dLeG0ua.jpg
  • hopgood
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated with some better diffuse and finished masks

2VYIJTv.jpg
  • BrontoThunder
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    That Slark eyepatch is reeeeeeeeeally cool!
  • PoPcorn
    Yeah, really clever using a shell for the patch. I also love that Dazzle staff!
  • hopgood
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Guys!

Managed to get these finished today and I put them all up in a collection. Hopefully one may find its way into the store.

zlIKiUT.jpg
  • hopgood
    Offline / Send Message
    Struggling for some inspiration this month. Just started thinking about something for another favourite character of mine.

Thoughts?

mBQZK6T.jpg
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    The concept seems familiar. Did you go through existing sets (accepted or otherwise) before making this concept?
  • hopgood
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on a new Friend for Slark

ePRAMlU.jpg
  • Sharc
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharc polycounter lvl 7
    Inmate Wily, is that you? :poly124:
    prison_break_by_terrormokes-d5rixt7.png
  • hopgood
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh what :(

Now I feel bad. I swear I looked through the workshop and this forum for anything similar. Bummer.

EDIT:

Ah now I found it, I didn't look back far enough. This one will have to sit on the shelf then. Apologies.
  • Sharc
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharc polycounter lvl 7
    I don't mind, I tried revamping the set and the the people I collaborated with never finished making the items. I think your version might work better anyways.
  • hopgood
    Offline / Send Message
    Well it still needs some work. I'll complete it later and post it up here. If you want to go ahead I can upload it and do a collaboration. If not that's totally fine.
  • Sharc
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharc polycounter lvl 7
    I'm up for collabs if you want to. :P
  • hopgood
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished up a quick piece this weekend while tweaking the colours on the Slark item.

lfdetVm.jpg

And done.

iTlX4T5.jpg
  • hopgood
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on something for Alchemist before looking at some Dire items for the comp this month

YJXX4Xt.jpg
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    I'm loving the metal jaw for alch but I think the brain is a little bit over the top:P

The Lycan hands look really muddy, the shapes could use a lot more definition.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    i think the brain suits his character very well, though i have to admit, this community is a system I most of the time don't understand. So don't listen to me -.-
  • Some Jerk
    I'd suggest ditching the brain for some stitches/surgical scars.
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    Ditch the brain for some kinda cap or helmet.
    Neox wrote: ยป
    i think the braim suits his characzer very well, though i have to admit, this community is a system I most of the time don't understand. So don't listen to me -.-
    It's not a system, it's called trying to keep the style, people don't like unfitting items. Naked brain is a bad idea in a variety of ways.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    it perfectly fits the character, its a dumb creature controlled by a gnome, i don't think the brain is breaking that idea at all, i can understand people beeing offended due to their believes or religion, but this is a whole different story and has nothing to do with not following the style.

and of course a community is a system, which in the case of dota has another layer of complexity to it, Valve making the final decision, yet still high rated items that don't even follow valves design and texturing rules make it into the store. While other, also highly rated assets that perfectly fit the styleguide and character backstory don't make it - so yes it's a complex system that is hard to understand.
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    Neox wrote: ยป
    it perfectly fits the character.
    It's a whacky item that could fit only one characther, Pudge. And i believe there's bunch of openbrains on the owrkshop fo him.
    Open brain is in no way practical, realistic, logical or safe, for that matter. Nor the lore says that the ogre is being controlled in such a crude manner, he's his partner.

While Al is a scientist, he's a chemist, not a surgeon, so it's not in his skills to do something like this, and if you insist that he controls him that way, i hope he's no doing it by hand, cuz there could've been some kind of needles or other surgical instrument sticking out.

While it's not stated that ogre is dumb or smart, he's not Ogre Magi-dumb, so it's better to put something on him, than strip him for more "control".

Open brain is a low level whacky idea like rice hats for every remotely asian hero, or lolsorandumb communist items for Pudge. D2 keeps pretty much the same semi-serious level of mediavalish technology with alchemy and magic, so i doubt operation like this could be possible, without damaging ze brain and unless you think they did Surgeon Simulator operation and did the brain transplant, i well keep saying that any brain itemwithout proper incorporation is out of place and represent the lazy thinking we don't need in D2.

As for the system, you jumped from one summarization to another, not well structured one, try avoiding that.

The way Valve chooses submissions is purposely unsystematic, and if asset is not picked up right away, doesn't mean it won't be. We've got 6 months old set for Clinkz today, with Clinkz set being added not so long ago it seemed highly improbable.

In short, Valve adds what they want, Rubick set we got right now are clipping, clashing in style with each other and are so far away in style, that it looks like a madmans choice.

On the other hand, we've yet to have Alpine 2, so i guess it works for now, we should relax and let them do their thing.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    i disagree, but thats allright, people have different tastes :)

It wasn't too uncommon for alchemist doing basic surgery in medieval times, they've been the scientists of their time. Paracelsus one of the biggest alchemists of his time published a book called "The Great Surgery Book". Brainsurgery is known to go back to ancient egypt, and might base on even older procedures from 3000bc , it's not like this is the hightech procedure you are making of it. Of course it's crazy risky to get an infection or whatever, it's a gnome controlling an ogre with chemicals made from prisonwalls! ;)
    But if you would want to, you could add an extra anim of him putting chemical in this brain and its all right.

But it's going to be changed anyways, so enough derailing. I think it fits very well and if well executed i don't see why people would not want to use,you (and quite a few others, just look at the alpine set) are making personal taste a communitymoving decision - which is just wrong. No one forces anyone to buy or use stuff they don't like
  • Chaemirix
    Offline / Send Message
    Chaemirix polycounter lvl 10
    The idea is that people don't want the game to devolve into TF2. Even if I don't have to buy or use it, others can, which does impact the visuals of the game, even if they're friends or enemies. Sticking to a theme is pretty important, and there is plenty of room for impractical items for the sillier heroes such as Pudge or Ogre Magi.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    i can totally understand this and i agree with this, but unless it's out of context i don't see any problems. With this one in particular, i already said why. It#s not a whacky hat with a spring on it, or a cowboy hat or a crocodile dundee outfit like its in the workshop right now, it fits perfectly in a fantasy world and the context fits as well.

Of course you don't have to agree with this.

anyways back to work, looking forward to the changes :)
  • hopgood
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, thanks for the responses everyone. I didn't expect to receive this much feedback. In the end I went forward with the item as is. I feel it still fits in pretty well with the characters theme and the item description shines a little explanation onto my choices.

Even if I get some negative comments I am interested to see the community reaction to see how far you can push an idea before getting some backlash. I've had a similar response to an item I made before and it helped me to improve in further iterations.

In the end I am anxious to see how the community reacts but I thank you guys for offering your help! Thanks!

cLNNr4g.jpg
  • hopgood
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been working on a few dire items for the monthly competition. Just finished up a Pugna piece yesterday and working on the following Bloodseeker one over the weekend. Going for kind of a Mayan/Aztec feel for this one.

PKzEz5O.jpg

gVS2gSE.jpg
  • Johnnynapalm
    Looks really good. Carry on
  • hopgood
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update on the Bloodseeker helm, no masks yet and still tweaking some of the colours and symbols.

GOQfrlj.jpg
  • hopgood
    Offline / Send Message
    Figured I should throw an update in here for things I have completed recently

Smelted Relics of Saraddel - Burning Pike
    O7uB7Rg.jpg

Smelted Relics of Saraddel - Flaying Dagger
    3KJg1e9.jpg

Auspice of Iczoxtotec
    Svps5kg.jpg
  • MdK
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    That helmet is awesome, really love it. When I saw it at first I instantly assumed it was for Huskar as I think it really fits his style well. I know you made it for Bloodseeker but did you think about Huskar?
  • hopgood
    Offline / Send Message
    I did. I think Huskar fits well with that kind of Aztec/Mayan theme but I was worried about the closed face of the helmet. Many of Huskar's accepted items don't feature this but it is prominent in all of Bloodseeker's items. Ultimately I guess it could of gone either way or I could of tweaked the design, in the end I went with Bloodseeker because it fit better I feel.

Thanks for the props though :D
  • hopgood
    Offline / Send Message
    After taking a break for the VGRemix contest I'm looking to get back into the swing of things with a few individual items. Came up with an idea for a offhand for Warlock that is essentially a Greevil that has absorbed the magic of the Black Grimoire, becoming bloated with demonic magic. Think Greevil meets Familiar meets Squig.

XQ7qPo0.jpg

kpwFUzU.jpg
  • Sinskin
    I think the brain is not such a bad idea, but it just looks much more acceptable with just the metal jaw part...

You have great 3D skills, and ideas, have any of your items been accepted yet?
  • giovannyarce
    Offline / Send Message
    giovannyarce polycounter lvl 5
    Really nice stuff around here.
  • GhostDetector
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    For the greevil, may I suggest it having something involving necronomicon? You should also consider doing the walking version, or is he floating (flying version makes him float more)?
  • hopgood
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, it's not a courier. This is an offhand weapon meant as the replacement for the lantern for Warlock.
  • hopgood
    Offline / Send Message
  • hopgood
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the brain is not such a bad idea, but it just looks much more acceptable with just the metal jaw part...

You have great 3D skills, and ideas, have any of your items been accepted yet?

Thanks man. Sorry I missed this comment earlier. The Alchemist item was accepted as is, brain and all! It was in the International 2013 chest and I had two items in the Chest of Wax, my Dazzle staff and a Skywrath Staff.
  • hopgood
    Offline / Send Message
    Diffuse update, still working on sorting a lot of the colours out but I feel its coming along pretty well so far. No masks yet.

rVq93An.jpg
  • hopgood
    Offline / Send Message
    Update, work on the diffuse a bit more and some basic masks done. Hoping to have this finished mid-week.

XknmV32.jpg
  • hopgood
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished it up this evening and up on the workshop as we speak. Was fun working on something a bit more organic this time.

Mog'ra the Devourer
    4j8FalH.jpg

B1QiHZH.jpg
    WtkqucJ.jpg

I had a go at Gifcam for this one too so people can see how it looks swinging around down there;

TtIG4L2.gif
  • hopgood
    Offline / Send Message
    I made this for a friend of mine to help her in getting started making DOTA 2 items. I figured I should post it here if anyone is looking for extra resources on texturing or is just curious as to how I go about things.

zuoA6w7.jpg