polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
saving this one for future updates

Replies

• Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    We are starting a set to the Lone Druid character inspired on some snake patterns and sillhouette. The Blue Krait that gives the name to the set is one of the most venomous snakes in the world.

This snake is found in India and colored in a bluish black which we are planning to use on the set with some golden details. The idea is to keep the original Lone Druid´s color scheme and just shift some colors.

We are going to use snake motives on the character, golden metals for a few parts on blue, the colour is going to be a bit different from the concept, and we are going to decide it along with some in game tests.

I just team-up with César (Timex) to work in this set and to do the best we can on this last two weeks, César has been working on a few concepts for the last week but we are able to post them today, after this we are going to keep posting. We have a lot of work to do to get everything done in time.

Itens
    • Shoulder
    • Arm
    • Weapon
    concept_01.jpg

The Panda!
    as we are not following the original bear sillhouette this one will be fully custom rigged and animated
    concept_02.jpg
  • HellJumper
    The concept art for the bear is most impressive. Good work.
  • Timex
    Offline / Send Message
    Timex polycounter lvl 18
    Finally we finished the "lowpoly" part before send them to mudbox.
    The shoulder, both arms and the weapon, we think that now all the the parts fits perfect on the model, maybe there is a few issues with the size of them but will be easy to change that later.
    Tomorrow will start the fun part... Mudbox, after that bake the maps for everything.
    We are thinknig on to do the clothes too but we will do it better with all the items ready.
    Thiago is doing an amazing work with the panda and I suppose him is going to post soon his stuff.

post_01.jpg
    post_02.jpg
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    HellJumper wrote: »
    The concept art for the bear is most impressive. Good work.

Thanks HellJumper, C
  • My Fault
    Offline / Send Message
    My Fault polycounter lvl 10
    Really nice start, definitely one to watch. Armored bears always make me think of Golden Compass, but seems like you have something a bit more unique going on here.
  • Timex
    Offline / Send Message
    Timex polycounter lvl 18
    My Fault Thanks mate :).

I have been working on the highpoly models, at the moment they look a bit realistic but as soon I bake the normals It is going to lost tons of detail, with the textures will look a bit more cartoony too.

I'm quite happy with the shoulder I think is going to be a great touch for the model and with a good gold shader could be pretty awesome, Thiago alredy show to me a few examples and I'm looking forward to start the textures.
    One of the arms protections is quite simple because We don't want to add too much detail, to keep the focus of the viewers on the big shoulder protection.
    The next days we will be doing the low poly objects and baking normals, and changing a few things on panda's concept, Thiago is doing a superb work with the panda :) so happy team-up with him :3
    2post_01.jpg
    2post_02.jpg
    2post_03.jpg
    2post_04.jpg
  • Malakay
    These models look amazing! But don't you think they are too detailed? If you want to meet the polycount requirements, you have to remove so much detail from the models. It can look very muddy in the game.

The weapon is going to look great in the game, because it has a design which is easily recognizable from a distance, and has a low polycount requirement.

It might be hard to retain the design of the shoulders and offhand when you lower the polygon count.

The color scheme looks great.
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    You need to be careful with that Panda since they don't allow images of pandas being killed in China. Along with the Blizzard copyright on Pandaren that's why Valve retextured Brewsmaster.
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    You need to be careful with that Panda since they don't allow images of pandas being killed in China. Along with the Blizzard copyright on Pandaren that's why Valve retextured Brewsmaster.

that about china is really new to me, thanks for pointing it out, i never imagined that. I will search about it
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    My Fault wrote: »
    Really nice start, definitely one to watch. Armored bears always make me think of Golden Compass, but seems like you have something a bit more unique going on here.

hahaha, me too

that bear drinking whiskey is awesome =]

----update----
    started the panda lowpoly

1nFox

our limits are 4500 tris for lod0 and 3000 for lod1, at this stage the panda have 2278 and there is some places that need a cleanup like the eyes. We have a lot of space left for the armor and details like the teeth

we are also planning to change the armor, probably we will make the face more visible

here is a quick test ingame to check the sillhouette, there is too much dark so we lost the botton sillhouette

1nFrM
  • Timex
    Offline / Send Message
    Timex polycounter lvl 18
    Finally the normal maps start to apper, we already baked all the normals, just the weapong to go, on the next images you can check better the character idea and the objects are with normal map into the correct polycount (the textures are in high res) we are starting to put the objects ingame with the correct resolution, but the model starts to looks good.
    I'm going to finish the weapon and todo a few tests for the clothes and I hope start the textures soon.
    normals_01.jpg

Thiago has been working on the model but we decided to change the concept for it, we think is going to look better if we remove the armours and we will let see more of the panda's skin and shape.

panda_rev.jpg
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    more ingame tests

shoulder and arms in the lod0. Texture just with normal, occlusion and lightbake

C
  • Paskie
    PANDA!!!!!! Looking great here! Keep up the good work!
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Paskie wrote: »
    PANDA!!!!!! Looking great here! Keep up the good work!

thanks Paskie =]

---update

i was checking that panda problem with China and apparently the problem was something related with the panda and the oriental costumes on the concept, but blizzard changed and the pandarem update never got problems with been launched in China

--

here is an early test with the armor and the panda run cycle

the animation is just blocked and still tweaking things, i tried to make a litle happy but i think i exagerated and made a jumping panda =]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY_ez56v8sc"]Lone druid Krait set test 01 - YouTube[/ame]
  • danidem
    Offline / Send Message
    danidem polycounter lvl 11
    THAT PANDA! *_*
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Isn't their an issue with using white and black that they stated some where in one of their guides? otherwise looking good loving the panda.
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    danidem wrote: »
    THAT PANDA! *_*

=]
    $!nz wrote: »
    Isn't their an issue with using white and black that they stated some where in one of their guides? otherwise looking good loving the panda.

yep, i used a too dark black that the legs are barely visible, thaks for pointing it out =]
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    i should be updating more often, sorry guys

quick glance on the portrait, it need to move it up a little bit more

1szsZ
  • naruSol
    Offline / Send Message
    naruSol polycounter lvl 18
    Perhaps try a color other than black entirely? Some coloration that suggests panda but is just different enough to be a bit fantastical. Coloring more like a Red Panda would look nice I suspect, or something in between.
  • xandriusx
    gogogo I want to see updates! xD looking nice atm
  • Some Jerk
    Dat frigging panda. Great work.
  • Timex
    Offline / Send Message
    Timex polycounter lvl 18
    Hi everybody.
    It have been a really busy week but finaly we can show you the models ingame, Thiago have been working on the panda animation and helping me with the low poly objects and unwraps, meanwhile I have been on the highpoly ones baking them and starting to modify the object for the correct size ingame + working on the shading, there is still a few issues with textures and shaders but the models starts to fit together, We are quite happy with panda model ingame, the next days we are going to be fixing stuff and improving the textures and shaders quality, we hope you like the models.

The first idea for the clothes with snake patterns.
    foro_01.jpg
    High model for the panda and bags in Mudbox
    foro_02.jpg
    Panda diffuse textures
    foro_04.jpg
    The arms for the character in mudbox, thinking on to do them more gold after ingame using the shaders.
    foro_05.jpg
    The same as the arms but in the case for the weapon and the shoulder (quite happy with this)
    foro_06.jpg
    In-game model on the characters selection menu, I was using this window and the game camera as references, the ingame view is so important, but we want to do the characters with a extra be of detail to keep them looking good on this menu too.
    foro_07.jpg
    Character ingame, the weapon is not loading and there is a few errors on the texturs as you can see on the back of the panda.
    foro_08.jpg

These are a two videos with the characters ingame, they fit together thanks to the panda logo, I need to say again how good the Thiago's animations looks ingame (sorry about the quality) .

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXBx0RPSkLk"]lone druid krait - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHoHWbIfMK0"]lone druid krait - YouTube[/ame]
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    that looks so good in game :D
  • praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    This looks really awesome. The only critique I have is that the dark fur on the panda's legs tends to lose visual fidelity as it goes down. I think it's just because of the shadows and lighting but it's harder to see the silhouette.

Also, I have to ask; what magic are you doing to be able to view your entire armor set in game? The only way I knew to preview items was one at a time in the submission editor. How are you getting everything into the game at once to test?
  • xandriusx
    Looks nice!!! btw It would be nice if you could make an ultimate modifier to complete the set! maybe a panda style bear form? xD
  • Quinnjdq
    Looks incredible bro. I am slightly biased because pandas are the best thing but please make sure to finish this as out of all the things I have seen so far this is my favorite.
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    that looks so good in game :D

ty Anuxi! its a pleasure to get a compliment from you =]
    praetus wrote: »
    This looks really awesome. The only critique I have is that the dark fur on the panda's legs tends to lose visual fidelity as it goes down. I think it's just because of the shadows and lighting but it's harder to see the silhouette.

Also, I have to ask; what magic are you doing to be able to view your entire armor set in game? The only way I knew to preview items was one at a time in the submission editor. How are you getting everything into the game at once to test?

i agree with that, our first texture was also darken then this one, C
  • Naso
    I think the panda needs a little more contrast, when you look at his current bear, the style that they made his fur is really bold and contrast compared to yours, but other than that the items and the bear look awesome!
  • Pina
    Offline / Send Message
    Pina polycounter lvl 5
    This set looks flippin awesome but I need to point out something that might screw up your submission.

Brewmaster , like other heroes such as Storm Spirit , was a Panda in Dota. However he was re-skinned due to copyright issues with Blizzard. In addition , he was also re-skinned as images of harm to Pandas is prohibited by federal law in China.

I do not know if this applies to submissions made by players to the store such as your Panda, but if I were you I would really take this into consideration. Maybe you can contact valve and try to find out if it is ok?
  • Timex
    Offline / Send Message
    Timex polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks praetus, I have a clue about what is happening with the objects,I'm not sure if this is correct or not, I need to try it in game, but I have the feeling that the game put the objects in game using the modification date on it, I think when you modify and object this appears in the ingame, if you modify two the same, I will try it today and I let you know, if this is true will be easy to try all the objects ingame.
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    xandriusx wrote: »
    Looks nice!!! btw It would be nice if you could make an ultimate modifier to complete the set! maybe a panda style bear form? xD

ty, if we have time could be a good point =]
    Quinnjdq wrote: »
    Looks incredible bro. I am slightly biased because pandas are the best thing but please make sure to finish this as out of all the things I have seen so far this is my favorite.

really thanks man, that made my day =]
    Pina wrote: »
    This set looks flippin awesome but I need to point out something that might screw up your submission.

Brewmaster , like other heroes such as Storm Spirit , was a Panda in Dota. However he was re-skinned due to copyright issues with Blizzard. In addition , he was also re-skinned as images of harm to Pandas is prohibited by federal law in China.

I do not know if this applies to submissions made by players to the store such as your Panda, but if I were you I would really take this into consideration. Maybe you can contact valve and try to find out if it is ok?

Hey Pina, thx for your warning, i already search for that and what i found was that blizzard had some problems in the concept of the pandarem because of the oriental clothes but the expansion got accept at china without problems, in fact it was the wow´s expansion that got accepted in less time, all the expansions got some kind of problem there

the brewmaster im almost sure was because of the character been too near the one in dota 1, but they cant blame a panda to be in the game

btw, i will ask someone at valve about that, thanks for you suggestion =]
  • Soldeus
    Offline / Send Message
    Soldeus polycounter lvl 10
    Dat panda lol, you have a buyer here for sure tvidotto! ^^
  • RoqueDemon
    Offline / Send Message
    RoqueDemon polycounter lvl 6
    The only bad thing I have to say is that the panda may be straying to far away from the original colour scheme.
    In my opinion, it would be best to add some additional equipment on the lower back to reduce the amount of white visible.
  • Gittum
    I really like this but it's very odd without a True Form that matches the panda. After level 6, Lone Druid is in True Form for pretty much the rest of the match. So that means you no longer even see the sickle or arm guard.

When he's in True Form the shoulder is visible and of course the panda. Without them matching it's kind of odd. There were 2 shoulder items for Lone Druid given out during The International, neither of which stayed on him when he went into True Form, which basically meant cosmetic items for him in the game right now barely have a point since you don't see them anymore after level 6.

I'm not trying to bash you or anything and I hope you don't take offense. I love this set very much and thinks it's amazing. The problem is that right now there's nothing in this set for True Form and since it doesn't take long to hit level 6 and press R, there's little point in this set because it's mostly not visible on the hero and the panda/True Form not matching looks weird. I could be completely wrong, but you haven't posted any pictures of his True Form so I'm writing this based on what I can see.
  • xandriusx
    still working on it guys?! give us some news please!

edit: never mind, I have just seen it in the steam workshop xD
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    And i need to say that was a pleasure to work with C
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    and a new one with the animations

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGco9DoATlE"]Vicious Panda Dota 2 Animations - YouTube[/ame]
  • Clyptic
    Offline / Send Message
    Clyptic polycounter lvl 6
    Nice work, that panda came out awesome!!
  • xandriusx
    truly cool, I want it in the game right now! xD
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Clyptic wrote: »
    Nice work, that panda came out awesome!!
    xandriusx wrote: »
    truly cool, I want it in the game right now! xD

huge thanks guys =]
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    in game video

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHsQh8lLo2s"]Lone Druid´s Vicious Krait set - Dota 2 - in game - YouTube[/ame]
  • bounchfx
    this one looks awesome in game! really sweet work!
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx wrote: »
    this one looks awesome in game! really sweet work!

huge thanks =]

----
    celebrating the end of the contest in bear style

6419b2a8429211e2867a22000a9f1266_7.jpg
  • Insaneophobia
    Offline / Send Message
    Insaneophobia polycounter lvl 5
    Wait... Are you from Denmark or are you just drinking danish beer? Whatever the case is, it's awesome! :D
  • Timex
    Offline / Send Message
    Timex polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks guys, I'll pickup a spanish beer instead :D