Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Noob Challenge 3

Replies

• biofrost
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    Well it's painted bricks, so I imagined it chipping off or something like that. Is it not reading correctly or did you think it wasn't supposed to be painted? Serious question, cause I wanna get it right.
    I pictured it like the bricks at my old Highschool, painted pretty thick.

Ah, see I thought the bottom half of it was supposed to be grime/ mold. For chipped paint that look makea much more sense.
  • tkfxity
    Okay, I'm not posting anything until I get the floors done because everyone think's that's my floor texture:P I am going to sculpt out some cement slabs for the floor. I just didn't like the red REPLACE me or some default texture.

It looks good but the its kind of weird when you look at the wall. It goes from perfect, clean painted blocks to, out of no where chipped paint. Maybe add some chipped blocks around the whole wall? Smaller chips near the top and bigger near the bottom until it gradually just becomes how it is now?

It looks too consistent.

Otherwise everything looks wonderful!
  • KartoonHead
    Offline / Send Message
    KartoonHead polycounter lvl 4
    Taking this one VERY casually. It IS Christmas after all so I'm mostly either drunk, asleep, or playing Risk. God I love Risk. Anyway here're a couple of the enviro textures I chucked together rendered out in marmoset.
    MD_EnvTexture_CinderBlocks.jpg

MD_EnvTexture_Concrete.jpg
  • andylisk
    Offline / Send Message
    andylisk polycounter lvl 8
    texturepass1.jpg413texture-pass1.jpg
    I felt like doing some vertex painting between a base brick texture underneath a surface one(white), but I am guessing the look is either cool/gimmicky or an eyesore. I would like to know what people think.

And it seems like many people like to do hand-painted textures. My method is mostly taking a stock from cgtextures and then smudge it out a bit to reduce noise that wouldn't get read anyway due to udk's auto texture compression. I'm interested in knowing what other people use.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    tkfxity wrote: »
    It looks good but the its kind of weird when you look at the wall. It goes from perfect, clean painted blocks to, out of no where chipped paint. Maybe add some chipped blocks around the whole wall? Smaller chips near the top and bigger near the bottom until it gradually just becomes how it is now?

It looks too consistent.

Otherwise everything looks wonderful!

That's a great idea actually. It doesn't make much sense, I was just trying to follow what I saw in the concept, but still a good idea.
    Also here's a crate for my Coke!
    5VeuR.jpg
    andylisk wrote: »
    My method is mostly taking a stock from cgtextures and then smudge it out a bit to reduce noise that wouldn't get read anyway due to udk's auto texture compression. I'm interested in knowing what other people use.
    I sculpt all mine, I use CG textures textures or ones I took to overlay, for example I sculpted the base of the wood, then I bake the normals, make a cavity in ndo and AO, change the AO base color, then do some other stuff, and overlay some wood, then bang.
  • tkfxity
    I felt like doing some vertex painting between a base brick texture underneath a surface one(white), but I am guessing the look is either cool/gimmicky or an eyesore. I would like to know what people think.

And it seems like many people like to do hand-painted textures. My method is mostly taking a stock from cgtextures and then smudge it out a bit to reduce noise that wouldn't get read anyway due to udk's auto texture compression. I'm interested in knowing what other people use.

I like the Vertex painting. I use it frequently as you can break up the tile look and add variety in the scene. One thing, im not sure if you added it, hard to tell from your picture, but does it have a normal map? Cracks in between the bricks all seem to be the same color.
  • andylisk
    Offline / Send Message
    andylisk polycounter lvl 8
    tkfxity wrote: »
    I like the Vertex painting. I use it frequently as you can break up the tile look and add variety in the scene. One thing, im not sure if you added it, hard to tell from your picture, but does it have a normal map? Cracks in between the bricks all seem to be the same color.

Thanks. Yeah there is a normal map for both brick layers. The colour between the cracks I suspect have to do with bump offset which I also applied to both layers. The cracks, which is the black part of the height map of the white brick is what 'leaks' the other brick layer I think. :poly142:

Not sure if that is even a 'bug' or something I can get rid of if I spend more time looking at the mat.
  • RobRoy
    Offline / Send Message
    RobRoy polycounter lvl 5
    That's a great idea actually. It doesn't make much sense, I was just trying to follow what I saw in the concept, but still a good idea.
    Also here's a crate for my Coke!
    5VeuR.jpg

I sculpt all mine, I use CG textures textures or ones I took to overlay, for example I sculpted the base of the wood, then I bake the normals, make a cavity in ndo and AO, change the AO base color, then do some other stuff, and overlay some wood, then bang.

Cool! Nothing to say. Can you show a wireframe and normal? please? Pleeaaaaaase :poly121:
  • KartoonHead
    Offline / Send Message
    KartoonHead polycounter lvl 4

You've got a small redbrick texture under large painted white cinder-blocks. I don't... what?

Also your texture creation method is rather outdated. If you're going for a photorealistic style then you should really be doing a tileable high-poly and baking out textures from that.

For my cinder blocks, for example, I made simple chamfered boxes in Max and arranged them into a wall, pushing and pulling a few, rotating others for variation. Then I baked out normal maps and AO from it. The rest of the detail, like the roughness of the surface, was painted in photoshop. For my broken up concrete slabs I made a really basic basemesh in Max and sculpted all the damage in ZBrush. Again, baked in xNormal, and then painted in photoshop. You shouldn't be using CGTextures stuff as a base, you should be using it to add detail to baked textures.

If you're in a rush and need to use photoreference as a base, you'll nearly always want to use something like CrazyBump or nDo2 to generate a normal map for you. I think you're doing that already, but worth a mention.
  • akh
    Offline / Send Message
    akh polycounter lvl 10
    My first texture with zbrush ( it's very difficult to understand how work this soft with this crazy interface).

Cm33M.jpg
    Td8pf.jpg

Render to UDK with my VertexBlend Material

Red Channel: Add/Remove Paint.
    Green Channel: Add/Remove Cracks.
    Blue Channel: Increase/Decrease Hardness edges of the paint.
    Alpha Channel: Add/Remove Moss.

(cracks are not mine, because i've not finish my cracks sculpt in zbrush, but i've need one for testing my Mat).

:)
  • jamiemurphy
    Offline / Send Message
    jamiemurphy polycounter lvl 8
    been texturing stairs, will probably come back to ithem when i've done all the other wood textures so i can make them of all of a similar tone.
    stairs_texture03.JPG
  • CDeniz
    Offline / Send Message
    CDeniz polygon
    @akh
    Those cracks are too random. It looks more like cracks from dry earth than cracks on a brick wall,, which would be subtle.

@jamie
    Thats the right direction, I would try to match up the wood tones bcs right now it looks like each piece is using different types of wood.
  • akh
    Offline / Send Message
    akh polycounter lvl 10
    CDeniz wrote: »
    @akh
    Those cracks are too random. It looks more like cracks from dry earth than cracks on a brick wall,, which would be subtle.

Yep i understand, but it's not my cracks, i'm currently sculpt my own cracks for replace this one.:thumbup:
  • TJ062
    Heres my Stairs High Poly:
    Jn9Ii.jpg
  • KennyTies
    Really awesome work on the textures kartoonhead. What is it rendered in and what settings do you have on your materials?
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    TJ062 wrote: »
    Heres my Stairs High Poly:
    Jn9Ii.jpg

GET OUT TJ.
  • TJ062
    GET OUT TJ.

What did i do? :poly006:
  • ScribbleHead
    Offline / Send Message
    ScribbleHead polycounter lvl 13
    @TJ062,

Looks really good, i like the amount of detail you've worked into the wood (its easy to go overboard).
    Mind you there's some chamfering going on between the steps, dunno if its on purpose but wooden stairs usually connect like this> sue_after.jpg so..straight, no chamfer...but i'm really nitpicking here, great work :P
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    TJ062 wrote: »
    What did i do? :poly006:

You let the Penguins out again man.

No but actually you have sexy stairs.

Are you gunna only use 2-3 do save UV space?
  • TJ062
    You let the Penguins out again man.

Damn it i didnt know man! i didnt know!!!
  • Insanity_Crab
    Hi very new to polycount and I jsut saw this thread, this is my attempt so far!

I'm very sorry but I cannot seem to get the image to attach to the email, I'll post up when I figure out the issue ;).
  • CDeniz
    Offline / Send Message
    CDeniz polygon
    Hi very new to polycount and I jsut saw this thread, this is my attempt so far!

I'm very sorry but I cannot seem to get the image to attach to the email, I'll post up when I figure out the issue ;).

Upload your screen to http://tinypic.com/ then post your link.
  • aubergine
    entering this a little late, but i'll try to work on this when i can - considering it's the holidays! finished the stairs, started working on some textures for the walls... thinking i might need to change a few things with the brick texture and i feel like my wood texture is pretty dark in udk.
    hope everyone is having a good weekend so far!
    stairs_1.jpg

small_room.jpg

udk_1.jpg
  • Gotshoes
    Offline / Send Message
    Gotshoes polycounter lvl 9
    I just stumbled in here like a wondering HoBo... all I have to say is: soon you'll need to be calling this the NOT so noob challenge! There is some great stuff in here, I love seeing people push themselves make me want to do the same.

@kartoonhead - great textures! love the subtly.

@alexcatmastersupreme - top notch stuff! can't wait to see the final product!

@aubergine - it's hard to tell that you just started, you're coming at it fast with great quality! looks totally PRO! can't wait to see more.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks good guys keep it up!
  • Architaylor
    Offline / Send Message
    Architaylor polycounter lvl 12
    Great work everybody, everyone is really making leaps and bounds in their environments. I'm finding this pretty tough going, really rusty on certain stuff but it's all coming back quickly. Blockout is finished, working on some high poly stuff :)

9ied5g.jpg
    5yxc9j.jpg
  • Laurence W
    @JamieM
    Nice work man, coming along! In addition to CDeniz's comment, I think the saturation of the textures is a little high in places. Can you post the defuse too, strong lighting could be contributing to it. This is a personal preference too, but i like to wear and smooth the steps out more in the middle if you think about how something is used when you're texturing. Depending on how much the steps are used the middle and lip would be lighter in colour, slightly less glossy (or more if the wood isn't glossed), smother in it's bump and concaved in extreme cases. Might just be stairs just they can add a lot of character
  • biofrost
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    Some really great loooking stuff going on here guys!

Sorry for my lack of posting, currently on vacation with limited internet and computer access. BUT I have managed to get some additional work done but I plan on going full force on this thing once im back home on the 30th. Limits how much I can work but I think ill pull though!

I can post some screenshots of the changes made to the floor and wall textures. Going to try and work on a modular pipe model and get the rest of the base things in(stair texture and other basic things) Then I can go ape shit crazy on some props.

Also I know it was said in this before but I wanted to throw my 2 cents in. Ddo can be a great tool but it will handicap you if you don't already have a good grasp of texturing already. It is meant to speed up workflow, not replace texturing.
    viGBb.jpg
    New bake with minimal detail at the moment.
    zsnJp.jpg
  • User001
    First post. Never used UDK before. May I ask what the point of bringing my creation into UDK is? Can anyone please explain the benefits of doing this? m41IK.jpg
  • rockguy
    For some reason those bricks look a bit odd , maybe is the divison between them.

Also, are those cracks part of the texture or are they decals?

O and about Ddo I dont mind it and sound useful , but texturing is part of the fun for me.
  • tkfxity
    @User001 UDK is a game engine which gives you control over many aspects of level creation. Its a program to combine models with texture with sound with animation, ect. Also its real time rendering. The Material editor is like a built in photoshop(exagerated). You can create your own complex shader that you would have to spend 10x longer to mimic in a 3D program. Then there are the tools. You have way more tools in a game engine to control almost every aspect of your level that you wouldn't have in a 3D program like maya or max. Not to mention you can play your level as you make it to make sure proportions are right.

I can go on and on but I'll just stop here as its 2am and I cant think right now.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    The more I stare at this the more I hate it.
    But whatever, finally time for some props.

I plan to dirty up and beat everything up later once I have a lot of the assets done so I don't over-do it. I might do the wall differently too.
    I will make decals for all the damage and dirt.
    kVCoa.jpg
  • Selaznog
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    Looks great Alex, but two things bug me. One: the dark water stained bricks. Seems too even.

Another thing are the bottles. They stick out because they are reflecting a blue light when they'd look better reflecting a warm light (or the scene).
  • nicafornica
    Offline / Send Message
    nicafornica polycounter lvl 7
    How does one go about doing decals?
  • tkfxity
    If you are using UDK, heres a link to epic games guide.

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/UsingDecals.html
  • darkchief117
    The more I stare at this the more I hate it.
    But whatever, finally time for some props.

I plan to dirty up and beat everything up later once I have a lot of the assets done so I don't over-do it. I might do the wall differently too.
    I will make decals for all the damage and dirt.
    kVCoa.jpg

Mind if I ask how you went about the concrete floor? Did you break it up into a few modular slabs? One long strip with swappable normal maps? One big mesh?
  • nicafornica
    Offline / Send Message
    nicafornica polycounter lvl 7
    I have never used UDK so i spent a lot of time figuring it out than creating stuff. I need to figure out Vertex shaders so that I can paint cracks into the concrete and also onto the walls. I might redo the wall Textures depending on time. I have stairs Hi poly baked out with some of the roof as well. Just need to textures and do Props.....

653gpg.jpg

2e0pdfc.jpg

217yup.jpg
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    Mind if I ask how you went about the concrete floor? Did you break it up into a few modular slabs? One long strip with swappable normal maps? One big mesh?

It's two normal maps, with three meshes. Two meshes for the small strips and one for the slab.
    Selaznog wrote: »
    Looks great Alex, but two things bug me. One: the dark water stained bricks. Seems too even.

Another thing are the bottles. They stick out because they are reflecting a blue light when they'd look better reflecting a warm light (or the scene).

Yeah, I'm going to revisit the bricks once I have much more done, I've been thinking about how I want to do them. Do them. I was trying to make it kinda like in the concept, where there was even dirt or something across the wall. So I made the paint chip.

Do you think I would be better off just making a dirt vertex paint or should I maybe make the chipping vertex painted in so It's not as even?

Also the bottles are using a cubemap for outdoors, I'll replace it when the scene is done and I can generate a final cubemap:)
  • Sturmfury
    Offline / Send Message
    Sturmfury polycounter lvl 8
    Fleshed out some of the props over the holidays. Time to get some tile-able textures of the floor and walls out and throw into Cryengine to take a look.

GEFoG.jpg
  • RobRoy
    Offline / Send Message
    RobRoy polycounter lvl 5
    Pipes. Electrical panel. Metal shelving.
    1356458393-clip-204kb.jpg?nocache=1
    1356467413-clip-118kb.jpg?nocache=1
    1356467539-clip-105kb.jpg?nocache=1
  • ivanzu
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    Normal map on the wooden support pillar looks like it needs to have its green channel inverted.
  • RobRoy
    Offline / Send Message
    RobRoy polycounter lvl 5
    Absolutely lack of time. Going to continue modelling at work while my boss is out :D
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    RobRoy wrote: »
    Absolutely lack of time. Going to continue modelling at work while my boss is out :D

You need to flip your green channel on the walls and wood it looks like man...
  • RobRoy
    Offline / Send Message
    RobRoy polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks ivanzu and AlexCatMasterSupreme it's really looks like man. :)

1356549063-clip-230kb.jpg?nocache=1
  • ivanzu
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    You need to flip your green channel shading on normal maps looks wrong.
  • wirrexx
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    kind of sucks, but i'll need to work after the 4th of january, got my cousins over and i need to spend time with them... :)
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx wrote: »
    kind of sucks, but i'll need to work after the 4th of january, got my cousins over and i need to spend time with them... :)

I know that feel man. I have to do so much too but I'll get as much done as I can even if it kills me.
  • David Wakelin
    I know that feel man. I have to do so much too but I'll get as much done as I can even if it kills me.

When does this challenge end? I'll probably start it (despite late) and work on it in my own pace for a Uni Project....

Just wondering as this was created on the 14th... does that give two weeks or a full month?

This thread comes as a great guide to level creation :)
  • BenHenry
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
    Been working on mine secretly. I sculpted the stairs because I thought hey, we've got enough time to. I'm going to try and make mine stylized like in the concept.
    1FLue
  • rockguy
    Hello guys a while ago I posted a link to some udk tutorials of Mr. Christopher Albeluhn , Im doing it again for those who are new to udk , have fun.

Credits of the tutorials are of Christopher Albeluhn

http://www.chrisalbeluhn.com/3D_Tutorials.html