Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Old Fountain - Mini Environment

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
So I have a couple of scenes I'm working on, this one being the second (much smaller) environment piece, and I thought it's time to start its own thread.

So here's a paintover that I worked on to get the overall direction of the piece, which should give a good idea as to how I want this to look in the end.

paintover1.jpg

This still feels empty (cause it is... its really unbalanced I find). They'll be some debris on the ground due to the broken Pillar... they'll be a lot of tiles that are uplifted / broken. I'm thinking about adding some torch stands along the sides to help break it up a bit more.

Some nice colourful flowers / plants to help push some contrast. Going to mess around with some god rays as well, since I've never done them before, and i think it adds to the whole "warmth / magistic" feeling that I'd like to go for.

Never worked with this much foiliage before, so hopefully I make a crap ton of mistakes and learn from em.

Overall I'd like to hope I can produce this scene pretty fast, as I think it'll be a nice small piece for the new Portfolio that is coming sooner then later (yarr).

And here is some of the main pieces so far (texture work will happen once I get everything else in the scene...) -

Background Pillars
pilars1.jpg

Fountain
fountain2d.jpg

And some wireframe action -

wires1.jpg

Any and all feedback is most appreciated, I'll be adding more updates today as I work on the tiles (hopefully finishing them up by tonight).

Replies

• PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    ahhh so this is the fountain youve been talking about on msn. wicked dude, looks like you were able to reuse a lot of the highpoly sculpted pieces everywhere on this. cant wait to see this with the foliage and textures!
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Hey nice start, I really dig the design elements - gives me an Aztec meets Greece or Italian water garden kind of vibe.
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Jason, I moved the thread for you.

Also, you had better be planning on doing the background behind this fountain or I will find you and falcon punch you over to GameArtisans. Tall trees, bushes, a building, whatever it is I don't care. Take it out of Marmoset if it makes your life easier.
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    Awwwww maannnnn... bussttedd :P

I'll see what I can do, do you really think it's needed though? Would i just need pieces for the background (where the camera is facing) or all around?

If I have time then I'll try, but currently (last semester crap) I have only so much time to devote to each project...

But now I'm scared Im gonna get smoked by a falcon punch... damn.
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    It doesn't need to be an elaborate background. 1 or 2 bush models that you copy around, cobblestone ground texture and sky. Voila! Just ground your fountain to some environment otherwise it'll feel like all you've done is a 'prop', which IMO always comes off weaker in presentation.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I agree with adam on this. Something small in the BG would add a lot of flavor, even if minimal (pokes self to do it on his folio as well).

The fountain itself came out really great, but I feel it's lacking a smidge of color. Maybe some green or dirt around the base and in/around the cracks could add something.
    The mesh and normals are great though. I love the chunky, worn and uneven nature of the fountain concrete - sells it as real. Great work :)
  • EMC3D
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 7
    Are you going to add the butterflies with an alpha map >_>? I hope so, and maybe a bird... falcon?
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    btw whats the tri count on this bitch?
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    Right now its 21k tris, little heefftyyy :(

Josh - I haven't touched the textures too much just yet :( But I'll be sure to to work in some colour like you said.

Yuh the butterflies will be using an alpha map, I was thinking about birds as well, but the shot is pretty low, unless maybe I just have them perched on the top of the fountain or something (bird bath?)

Just about to sculpt the floors.
  • EMC3D
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 7
    Right now its 21k tris, little heefftyyy :(

Josh - I haven't touched the textures too much just yet :( But I'll be sure to to work in some colour like you said.

Yuh the butterflies will be using an alpha map, I was thinking about birds as well, but the shot is pretty low, unless maybe I just have them perched on the top of the fountain or something (bird bath?)

Just about to sculpt the floors.

Well i can imagine getting away with butterflies on an alpha map, i don't know how a bird would turn out, unless you had the camera at a certain angle, never actually thought how it might turn out, would be an awesome attention to detail though when it's all put together.

Edit: How are you going to go about doing the vines that wrap around the pillar? Ivygen, or just cylinders, i've been wondering how to do something similair for assets but never knew how to go about it.
  • Rens
  • cycloverid
    Offline / Send Message
    cycloverid polycounter lvl 15
    All those polys make it pruttee though!

The little block design under the fountain base is looking black. Maybe tone that down? Can't wait to see how you pull both these off.
  • serialkiler
    i want my desktop back :(

Amazing work, make the foliage come from the fountain i think will look better
  • ae.
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    I second the falcon punch, me an adam will make it a double falcon punch! Ryu got nothing on us!

also post up your high poly models they are ace and should be shared! looking ace so far.