Home Unreal Engine

[UE4] Normal problems when exporting from Maya

Hello everybody,
as probably many of you I'm currently testing the new awesome Unreal Engine 4. In the last week I tried to have an overview of the new amazing features. Today I started to import some assets from Maya and I'm having some big issue. Basically, when I try to import static meshes with the "import normals" option I get horrible results. I have some big "black spots" lightning problems, the same one you could have with soften edges and bad lightmaps in UDK.
Let me first say one thing: all the mesh I tried, were coming from a project in UDK where they're all displayed correctly. So it is not a problem of light maps or reversed normals.

Now let's get into some details:

1) If I export the mesh with soften edge normal configuration from maya, I get really horrible results: big black artifacts even with VERY SIMPLE meshes (a slightly curved plane, for example).
2) If I export with harden edge configuration from maya, the result is SLIGHTLY better: big black artifacts are still there.

In both the examples, obviously, the "imported normal" option was turned on during the FBX import process in UE4.

3)If I compute the normals in UE4 during the import process, I get correct results but I cannot achieve the useful "smooth" effect of the maya soften edge configurations.

I'm very worried about this problem because I tried several different meshes without achieving good results.
I'll stress this one more time: each single mesh comes from an UDK project where they're processed correctly, so I assume that something changed in the export/import process and maybe the workflow could be slightly different.
Have you experienced these issues in this first week of UE4?
Thank you very much, once again, for your help,

Fabio.

Replies

• Der Hollander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was able to take a project from UDK to UE4 with little in the way of problems recently, but I did notice artifacting when I attempted to create normal maps in-engine using R-G component masking and the DeriveNormalZ function.

Could you post some images for us to look at? Maybe a screenshot of the artifacting, a sample normal map, a screenshot of the low-poly mesh, and maybe some screenshots of the import/export workflow? Unfortunately, There's simply not enough detail in your post without good visual aids to see where the problem might be occurring.
  • Firedrakan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're obviously right, unfortunately yesterday I was not at home while writing the message, I will edit this message and upload some screens at soon as I come home.

Thank you very much for your attention, I really appreciate it.
  • JoakimMellergard
    Are you exporting with FBX version 2014 in Maya? Export the mesh(es) with version 2013 instead and it should work.
  • Firedrakan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This solved the problem! I noticed when importing the warning of FBX exporter but, as I had a similar warning using UDK I thought it was not the problem.

Thank you very much for your help :)
  • JoakimMellergard
    No problem! I thought the same thing since ue3 always warned me so it took a while to figure out how to fix it.