polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
EVIL polycounter lvl 18
Hmm.. got to squeeze this in fast

Here is the moodboard + 2 sketches.

The theme is Alien Ruins
moodboardsketches.jpg

I will try to do a third illustration if I have time

edit: contest is over, and here are my final pieces for easy and quick browsing :P
image01_WIP03.jpg
image02_WIP03.jpg
image03_WIP03.jpg

Replies

• EVIL
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    Here is a Wip of Image no1
    image01_WIP01.jpg

This image shows one of the entry ways into the corridors which are cut through the rock, connecting inner chambers with outside courtyards. Maybe this one leads to Image 2?

Large ripped coloured banners hang from the walls as if this area has been claimed by a more tribal species. It gives a sense of primal territory and thus I think an interesting visual aspect that fits with the Tournament side of this game and can provide opportunity for representing theme colours or even crude logo's

I tried to hint at an polygonal structure above trough which the light filters and projects on the wall.
  • FirebornForm
    Wow super quick turnaround EVIL! This looks so crisp, and polished already. It's got minor textural details and its super clean so no clarity issues what so ever except the inner shadows.

Great job on the light beams and cast shadows. I like the mixture of culture showing this place has some history to it. No way that the aliens who laser cut the structure in the first place would use the tattered cloths. Colored banners and stuff is good for establishing CTF direction as well.
  • EVIL
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    Image 2, might have time to squeeze in a third

image02_WIP01.jpg

Large round chamber, in the center 2 spherical objects meshed in the floor and ceiling of the hall. The sphere in the ceiling is larger than the one on the floor creating a curious effect.
    The lighting is smooth and natural. the outside light filtering trough the ceiling and other openings create an almost purely reflective lit room. Only direct light at areas that can use detail.
    Other detail is provided in geometric wall decorations and the center piece, which consists out of an array of elongated elements surrounding the top of the smaller floor sphere.

I thought this could provide interesting gameplay situations if there would be something important located in that area, maybe a flag capture point? These objects provide cover and limit attack angles
  • Hitsu San
    Offline / Send Message
    Hitsu San polycounter lvl 2
    It looks really nice!
  • FirebornForm
    Cool :) Gorgeous values and color, though that red stamped tree bugs me. nothing else in the image is that flat
  • EVIL
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks, and yeah I need to redo that tree. Its super out of place
  • EVIL
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    little extra edit to image no2

image02_WIP03.jpg

and this is the current state of image no1

image01_WIP02.jpg
  • amadeux
    Offline / Send Message
    amadeux polycounter lvl 8
    Awe man I liked that tree the way it was it makes the scene more alien like. If anything playing with more of that would really add to the eeriness, but oh well.
  • EVIL
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    here is the final version of image no 1
    image01_WIP03.jpg
  • EVIL
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    bleh haha after seeing this the next morning, I see a ton of things I would have liked to add. like in image1, above the floor circle pattern I would have likes a pickup item to hover since that was the idea for it. I dislike fixed pickup platform since it almost always conflicts with the theme of the map.
  • Milanbon
    Offline / Send Message
    Milanbon polycounter lvl 2
    This looks gorgeous!Good job!
  • EVIL
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    I kiiiinda made another image (TY time extention!!)

image03_WIP03.jpg
  • MMKH
    Offline / Send Message
    MMKH polycounter lvl 11
    Looks very nice, very clean and unique design. :)
  • FirebornForm
    Once again Evil your speed is really something else how quick you bust these super crisp concepts out. great use of the final extension! I've mostly been cruising the UT forums today.
  • EVIL
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    Thnx everybody, I am still recovering from my painting high hahah. Managed to the last one in just short of 5 hours (bit of a personal record)

and FirebornForm, man you have been a pillar in this contest! Great job!
  • moof
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    This was definitely my fav one man, nj! I'd love to see this level