Home General Discussion

Star Citizien- Pre-Alpha Gameplay

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Blond polycounter lvl 9
Pre-alpha, at least, that's what they tell us. I don't know but I think PC gamers will be disappointed expecting too much from this game...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TWQFSzQyeM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TWQFSzQyeM[/ame]

At least it's pretty. Good art direction.

Howver let's not forget 42 million have went into this with the kickstarter funding.

What do you think?

Edit: That helmet animation though.

Replies

• Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    It looks like a pretty amazing game ready for launch and it's only in pre-alpha, what are you getting at?
  • Blond
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    Soem gameplay mechanics look kinda buggy but that's okay,it doesn't look that bad after a second look.
  • tynew
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    Blond wrote: »
    Soem gameplay mechanics look kinda buggy but that's okay,it doesn't look that bad after a second look.

You do realize the game is like 1-2 years from completion?

Besides that, the art is fantastic. I was in the Next Great Starship competition for Star Citizen, and my team made it to the top 10 out of 200 teams. The competition itself seemed very unorganized and just for show. They had trouble giving technical specs and design briefs to contestants. I'd assume though they were extremely busy working on other things.

Regardless, I'm pretty happy they are doing PBR for everything and they seem like a very open development team with all the updates and information they show the public. The entire team itself look extremely tired, I wouldn't be surprised if they were pulling 10-12 hour work days.
  • EvanTideswell
    Offline / Send Message
    EvanTideswell polycounter lvl 3
    this looks pritty good :D i would love to give this game a go :)
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Can't wait to see more polished gameplay.
  • Anchang-Style
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    People should not take away that this will disappoint from a video like this. Yeah it's buggy unpolished but thats been all demos of SC by now thats part of the development of this game. Other games at this point would have still been under NDA. What i take away from this video is a) they have done an amazing job so far considering they are not close to done yet b) people are PSYCHED about this. I think i barely every heared an audience reaction like this aside from the FFXV and Kingdom hearts 3 traile rlast year. I wouldn't do judgement based on this. Iam still excited and iam really happy that they keep the audience involved to such a level, that they show every little new piece no matter how buggy and unpolished the version to this point.
  • weee
    Offline / Send Message
    weee polycounter lvl 3
    can Chris Roberts really pull it, its a different age now, the demo is looking good though.
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    overall the game is definitely pretty looking.
    i like the first-person-ness of it all - pulling on the gloves and helmet and so on, makes you feel part of it. the cockpit view swaying side to side constantly in flight puts me off though.

the flight model seems rather basic to me however. tense, unforgiving dogfighting in space, a decent flight model, AI that can mount a challenge and semi-clever and varied mission design with multiple paths to take have been done pretty well in the old lucasarts' star wars games like tie-fighter.
    in comparison wing commander and it's off-shoots never matched up IMO. very arcade-y, limited misson variety and stupid AI. well, the asteroid-AI that regularly came right at you was pretty clever though. ;)
    they must have sold through looks and cinematics and through being there first. judging from that video it's not evident to me that other aspects have improved since the 90's. even the laser pew-pews and orange balls are still in there.
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    For a pre-alpha this is looking good.
    Can't wait for more though i have visions of what this could be so i'll hold out until I see more, I've been waiting for a similar game like this with a bit more to it though.
    Hope it becomes what I've been wanting for also not a contributor to the KS, missed the boat.
    Thanks for the heads up.
    I hope they have options to skip those animation bits about loading into the crafts cause that will get old fast.
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    looks cool, biggest thing I took away from that video is that crowd is having an absurdly good time with all the whooping and screaming hahaha! I really dont know what they were getting so ecstaticly excited about.
  • cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    The demo actually convinced me to buy my first craft yesterday.

If they can get it even remotely close to something like XWing vs Tie Fighter while looking like that, then it's money well spent to me. The rest of the stuff they're planning is just beautiful, tasty icing on the cake.
  • TAN
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    Like always Cryengine is looking great. Gameplay should be much better when released of course.

BUT ! Man this guy really needs to learn how to fly that damn thing :D:D:D
  • Quack!
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    Art looks fantastic. Game was broken though, but that is expected from such an early build. There is alot of promises being made, so hopefully they aren't shooting themselves in the foot.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Quack! wrote: »
    Art looks fantastic. Game was broken though, but that is expected from such an early build. There is alot of promises being made, so hopefully they aren't shooting themselves in the foot.

That's my problem with this whole thing... people are throwing money at promises, the first (big one) of which was already broken.

As their pool of funding grows, instead of hiring more people to fulfill the promises they've already made (which is what they should be doing) they're instead increasing the scope of their game and making more promises of what they want to achieve. Which of course makes it harder to fulfill the original promises.

And of course, because this was all done through their own site rather than kickstarter, there's nobody there to stop them continuing to do this.
  • tynew
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    @almighty_gir
    Actually they do hire new staff every week. Programmers and artists mostly and they say they are continuing to look for staff. They started off with around I think 20 people, and that has grown to 200+ employees since the Kickstarter in 2012.

I do agree though, they gave some bad estimations with deadlines. Even with a staff of 200+ I doubt the full release would be before 2016. The things they want in it are huge.
  • Hristo Rusanov
    Offline / Send Message
    Hristo Rusanov polycounter lvl 7
    They can't deliver the whole game plus all stretch goals next year.They've said it several times already.As far as i remember for release they'll have Squadron 42, the persistent universe, FPS modul which i guess is going to be something basic, planetside landing...and that's it.The whole networking thing is the most difficult part and i think this is where they'll have big problems, after all this is the reason why DFM was delayed and PAX presentation wasnt the best thing in the world.Btw even if they do everything like it should be there is going to be alot of dissapointed people because the hype is ridiculous.I expect the release to be atleast at the end of the next year or early 2016, maybe even later.
  • Slave_zero
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
    I don't know why the crowd is freaking out that much. It is anoying as hell.
    The game looks great, as expected. Great visuals for sure. But nothing there that one hasn't seen before. If they keep following this route they sure will do a great looking game with much attention to the details, which is a good thing.
    I hope they don't lose their focus and scope on the project. The feature-list seems incredible and it will be quite a task to balance all the mechanics in that huge game.

Anyway: I'm interested how this will turn out.
  • InvertedVantage
    Looks cool. :) Really pretty. The flight model looks kinda meh though - more Wing Commander, less BSG, which is fine but not as cool as I was hoping (the feature trailers made it seem like it was going to be much more Newtonian).
  • cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    I don't know why the crowd is freaking out that much. It is anoying as hell.
    They're all standing up in some bar-like environment. I imagine most are either drinking, socially awkward, or caught up in the excitement of the moment. Maybe a mix of each.

As for the flight model, I'm guessing that like everything else it will be more refined as time goes on.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid wrote: »
    socially awkward

lol, you know those socially awkward people, always congregated in large crowds and whooping it up.

It's PAX, it's a fan convention so most of the people there are excited about the game. They are there because they want to be there, not because they have to be there.
  • cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    lol, you know those socially awkward people, always congregated in large crowds and whooping it up.
    Ever go to a convention? Socially awkward ≠ shy
  • Mstankow
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    It doesn't matter what they show when I still can't get over the prospect of having to buy the game and then have to then spend real money in order to get a spaceship. And the fact that there are limited edition ships being sold before the game is even released really puts me off.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid wrote: »
    Ever go to a convention? Socially awkward ≠ shy

:P so what is the socially accepted way to behave at a large event showing off a game you're excited about? Silence and appropriate golf claps at opportune pauses?

Gir: they have multiple studios and seem to always be hiring, this is beyond kickstarter, it's in AAA game development territory.
  • Keg
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Mstankow wrote: »
    It doesn't matter what they show when I still can't get over the prospect of having to buy the game and then have to then spend real money in order to get a spaceship. And the fact that there are limited edition ships being sold before the game is even released really puts me off.

You get a spaceship when you buy the game.

They are selling access to ships right at launch, all the ships can be bought in-game at launch. There is/was lifetime insurance on these purchased ships so no matter what you don't lose them in-game where as uninsured ships are lost when destroyed
  • Mstankow
    Offline / Send Message
    So you pay real money for a ship you can lose forever? That sounds horrible. If someone can explain to me how this game is not a rip-off it would be most appreciated cause I can't wrap my head around it and it feels like I am missing something.
  • ENODMI
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
    Keg wrote: »
    You get a spaceship when you buy the game.

They are selling access to ships right at launch, all the ships can be bought in-game at launch. There is/was lifetime insurance on these purchased ships so no matter what you don't lose them in-game where as uninsured ships are lost when destroyed

That is horrible. Bad bad people
  • l.croxton
    I was checking out some videos earlier of this and some of the "small" touches like the flipping on the helmet etc looks really nice. However look at the game it has massive potential, but if this was being made by any company under the EA umbrella it would be getting slaughtered by people for the gameplay being shown.

I think its saving grace is the guy who is fronting this game and that its crowd funded. It looks amazing from a graphics standpoint. However in like 2 years, will it still look as amazing as it does now? Personally I am not too sure. Gameplay its going to be a mess at the start, but hopefully with loads of testing done throughout the alpha and beta stages that people will pay £9000+ for (sarcasm!) that they can get it pretty much nailed for its offical release.

For the future health of indie gaming development of big titles such as this, this really needs to be a success and I personally really hope it is.
  • Keg
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    You can buy insurance in-game to protect your ships. lifetime insurance is/was a benefit/perk for kickstarter and early backers. It could still be available for people purchasing packages, I don't know. I don't really care.

Again, purchasing ships at this point is to have access to them at launch, instead of having to earn the money in-game to purchase the vehicles. Mostly everything except some special editions of ships I believe will be obtainable in-game.

There is nothing "horrible" or "bad" about this as it's all been up front and the information freely available for quite awhile now
  • Mstankow
    Offline / Send Message
    It is bad because you can buy ships. If you couldn't it would be fine. That is just a huge rip off.
  • cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    How is it a rip off? You're not buying an in-game item the only way you can (nor is it an item you can lose forever). The whole point in giving money at this early point in time is to support the development of the game. That's how crowdfunding works.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    actually, you CAN lose the ship forever if you didn't purchase it with insurance, and not all of the insurances are lifetime.
  • cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    You don't lose the ship forever without insurance (a cheap in game currency btw), you work for npcs (or other players) until you get the credits required to get your ship back again.
  • ENODMI
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
    Buying insurance is not some sort of awesome and exhilarating gameplay mechanic that is going to melt eveyones faces off from the joy it brings. This is a micro transaction scheme...and that is all it is. Sure, you can play to earn the credits to buy back your ship, but that just doesnt happen in these scenarios. Your stressed out, over invested in your ship that you "own" and your going to pay the small amount to get back to playing. Sure, you might earn it back once or twice, but thats boring, you came here to blast shit in you space ship. If you play the game enough, you will pay eventually. The fact that they have an entire page rationalizing this bs to the player makes them seem very suspect... or obvious in their intentions.

Thing is, I dont actually have a problem with this type of business model. It's very effective and tends to make a shit ton of money when done well...The exploitation that is, the games are usually horrid turds. The problem I have is that its a crowdfunded game that is going to exploit it's supporters. An insurance policy in a game that can be purchased with real money is not a service, it's just fucked up. What does this serve the game? The player?