Home Unreal Engine

UDK weird lightmap shadowing.

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
underfox polycounter lvl 7
Hi everyone, I'm having trouble to get rid of some shadowing issue that comes in the middle of the mesh and I dont know why .

uosm.jpg

Now without lightmap

rj0o.jpg

This is the UV lightmap ( don't mind the very weird Islands disposition, I moved them far away from the part that was causing me trouble in order to try fixing it)

yil8.jpg

So, as you can see on the UV everything is far away from the problematic island, and yet I have those undesired shadows. I set the resolution of the lightmap to 32 then 64 up to 128 and the higher the resolution the more " visible " it becomes. The lightmap coordinate index is set on the correct UV also.

I'm loosing my sanity here, give this poor soul some help please.:poly122:

Replies

• Wozner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wozner polycounter lvl 10
    First, some of uv's are too close to the border line, you need to move them inside of the visible area they should not be too close to the blue border.

Second, try to scale your complex UV's a little bit, that should solve the problem. The part that you have highlighted with red, it has vertexes very close one to one, scale it a little bit.
  • osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    That UV layout is indeed not very optimial, but the uv's being too close to the border line is incorrect Wozner. You can have them as close as you want, just make sure you have space inbetween your islands.

More info here:
    https://udn.epicgames.com/Three/LightMapUnwrapping.html
  • Santewi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The borders on the lightmap are clamped, no wrapping around and bleeding like on other textures.

You say the shadows become more visible with higher lightmap resolutions? Could you post a picture of what it looks like with a 1024 map?
  • underfox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    underfox polycounter lvl 7
    Hehe Yea I know it's not vey optimal, I was starting to pull some hair out of my head so in order to kinda " debug it " I pushed everything away from that UV shell in order to see what could be causing it, Don't mind it for the moment, I will surely get back on it and place those UV properly.

as for the UV beeing too close to the border, I read somewhere that UDK would automaticaly pad them away.

Anyway The probleme was indee due to the fact that the vertex were too close to each other like wozner said, I thought that as long as it would has a rectangular shape the inside would behave perfectly, I was utterly wrong and I learned it today.

Thanks guys once again for the great help :P