Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I got some stupid questions, I just decompiled the wrench model from the game thinking I could just bind it to the bone, delete the old wrench, and merge it all together, but apparently, the decompiled version wont even re-compile, so is there anyway to do that to keep the animations?
  • LVG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LVG polycounter lvl 12
    ZacD wrote: »
    I got some stupid questions, I just decompiled the wrench model from the game thinking I could just bind it to the bone, delete the old wrench, and merge it all together, but apparently, the decompiled version wont even re-compile, so is there anyway to do that to keep the animations?

What wrench model, deepening on if it's a C model then the animations should work but if it's one of the older ones then you probably have to position it in the animation files
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The C model I'm getting an unable to load model error.
    EDIT: Sorry, I had a stupid moment, replaced the 0 with a , and it works
  • ColonelBD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you want to replace the wrench, you have to replace the w_model. Dunno why they didn't make it use the c_model.

I've added in the locking mechanism that redsheep suggested:
    locking_thing.jpg
    lockback_thingy.jpg

I've also put together a silhoutte comparison:
    silhouttes.jpg

So what do you think, improvement or not? Oh, there are also bevels on the locking rail, they're just not that visible.

Also because I've straid away from the castle design, I don't know whether I should keep the "Castle Crasher" name.

Because the weapon itself is too modern to be used in medieval mode, and the actual castle inspired parts are only visible from a certain angle.
  • Captain of The Chalk Ship
    The name only fit it when it looked a bit like castle, which I liked more. I'd suggest a new name.
  • PatrickL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatrickL polycounter lvl 9
  • Just a Gigolo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatrickL wrote: »
    democape02.jpg

I have to see what this looks like with the Halmark right now!

This kicks so much ass.
  • Jman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More massive images: LiaLV2.jpgBbA39s.jpg
  • LVG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LVG polycounter lvl 12
    Engie Tesla hat based off the Tesla Coils from the classic RA games, Need some help with particles never used them before and don't know where to start is it all done from the VMT and the TF2 tool or has something got to be done in my Modelling software

dvlgg3.jpg
  • Sparkwire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparkwire polycounter lvl 9
  • ComfyCushion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparkwire, that gun just doesn't feel at all like it belongs in TF2.

Jman, I love that firecracker launcher. What are you thinking of calling it?
  • Jman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparkwire, that gun just doesn't feel at all like it belongs in TF2.

Jman, I love that firecracker launcher. What are you thinking of calling it?

I have absolutely no idea what to call it right now, it's going to be rockstar related (hopefully), something like the Pyromaniac's Playtoy or similar.
  • Dashtoronto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have to see what this looks like with the Halmark right now!

This kicks so much ass.

PatrickL: you should make a cape with the designs similar to the Apollo Creed costume

l_bc8b0b32dd851f4749fb47efa244f288.jpg

Apollo2.jpg

50256_215400201455_2851694_n.jpg

or just rent Rocky 1 the movie and you'll see what i mean. He wears the costume near the end of the movie.
  • Dashtoronto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jman wrote: »
    I have absolutely no idea what to call it right now, it's going to be rockstar related (hopefully), something like the Pyromaniac's Playtoy or similar.

call it The Sparkler or The Fourth of July
  • LVG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LVG polycounter lvl 12
    Needs positioning properly, was the first try and so far untextured, does anyone have any ideas for names best i can come up with is "Fusion Forge" and "Teslating Tower" last one sounds good but isn't a word lol

1fcznc.jpg
  • Dashtoronto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    call it The Sparkler or The Fourth of July

or even better,

The Fourth Of July Weekend
  • Pie_Tony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yo all, I just want to inform you all of a fake update that FP's TF2 Emporium is taking part in.

Banner.png

It'll be a hopefully huge collab update starring everyone's submitted work which we hope to show Valve how medieval mode is truly supposed to be!

Rules & guidelines are on the webpage, and how to submit will be updated come Feb 1st.

Deadline for it will be 16th Feb, and we will allow previously made weapons/hats/props that have been made before this (as long as they haven't been publically released), and maps are fine too.

Remember, this will be something like the Fancy vs Nasty, Meaning your work will be made publically available to download as an ingame mod!
  • NeoDement
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wooden sentry here I come
  • RedSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NeoDement wrote: »
    Wooden sentry here I come

Like a Ballista styled setnry? That would be amazing.
  • Contrails
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Elbagast, if you're still taking votes, I'd vote for 2

You might want to consider though redesigning the laser - in the 1960s they were still relatively primitive, and I doubt that small laser pointer type devices were developed by then. I'd make it a bit larger and clunkier, but also simpler (thicker wire not wrapped around as much)... hopefully that'll help with the clutter

@Lachtan... great stuff - I'm loving the blowtorch, but I think that valve on the end is a little small for the pyro to easily turn with his gloved hand

as for my own stuff, I've started this teleporter today for the medieval update :)

catapult.jpg

it isn't very feasible for a direct teleporter replacement as a mod, (the idea is a explosionless rocket/sticky jump that players can use to travel quickly) but maybe some map maker could work it out or use it as a prop at least.
  • Sparkwire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    freezegun_reload_wip.gif

a: its a demo on how i animate
    b: its wip
    c: anims by me, model and texture by davision.
  • a gentlman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jman; Gotta work on making it a bit more distinct from the original flare gun; silhouette, seeing what your opponent is using and all that... iotherwise pretty nice.
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Medieval update eh? sounds interesting. Interesting enough to revive some of my viking-soldier concepts.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    got sum free time - working on my MacGyver Mullet...
    enge_mullet_blockout.jpg
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Achmed, if you rig it to the head bone and the neck bones, you'll be able to make it so it deforms as he turns his head.

This would be spectacular.
  • Pie_Tony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    re.wind wrote: »
    Medieval update eh? sounds interesting. Interesting enough to revive some of my viking-soldier concepts.
    Go for it!
    It'll certainly be welcomed seeing as the soldier is seldom seen in medieval.
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Contrails wrote: »
    @Elbagast, if you're still taking votes, I'd vote for 2

You might want to consider though redesigning the laser - in the 1960s they were still relatively primitive, and I doubt that small laser pointer type devices were developed by then. I'd make it a bit larger and clunkier, but also simpler (thicker wire not wrapped around as much)... hopefully that'll help with the clutter

@Lachtan... great stuff - I'm loving the blowtorch, but I think that valve on the end is a little small for the pyro to easily turn with his gloved hand

as for my own stuff, I've started this teleporter today for the medieval update :)

catapult.jpg

it isn't very feasible for a direct teleporter replacement as a mod, (the idea is a explosionless rocket/sticky jump that players can use to travel quickly) but maybe some map maker could work it out or use it as a prop at least.
    Maybe your exit could be a bouncing pad.

I heard you guys were considering turning the exit into a landing pad, but that sounds like a boring exit and something that would be hard to place where it would be useful.
    If you replaced the exit with a small bouncing pad that gave you added vertical height it would be a nice addition to your catapault that launches you forward.
    got sum free time - working on my MacGyver Mullet...
    enge_mullet_blockout.jpg
    Could you flatten and remove the hair where Engie's goggles are?
    I think the hair would look better if it didn't go over Engie's goggles, and the hair would look very good if it looked like it went under the goggles. At least until the goggles got to the back of the hair, they could perhaps go under the hair at the back of his head; but it just doesn't look very good when goggles go under his sideburns.
  • Sharkisss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a photo of what me and Cronotic are working on.

scarf.png
  • Psyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2z82qrl.png

i think i can enjoy my treasure hat a little more now.
  • Svdl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RedSheep wrote: »
    @Svdl (and Sparkwire as well, I suppose)
    That looks glorious! I love the way you texture things. Your work always has this feel to it and is easily distinguishable as your work. The model and texture are both great.

Thanks man! Though I'm not sure if having an easily distinguishable style is a good thing when trying to emulate a specific one :). nevertheless, glad you like it.

Anyway, here's what it currently looks like, I still feel like it's missing something but I can't put my finger on it. I'll probably do away with the low res label from the side of the drum and I'm not sure if the ass part of the gun looks coherent enough.

latest2.jpg
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    seeing it in game may help figure out what its missing, maybe throw in a bit more obvious brush strokes and some color?
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gun cuts into his groin pretty bad when idle
  • sicsided
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    n88tr wrote: »
    gun cuts into his groin pretty bad when idle

There's a reason he's called the Heavy.
  • APesquera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    APesquera triangle
    I am remaking some torch design i've had in mind for a while now (you can see the old one here).

torches.jpg

Which one does look better?

• Pie_Tony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    APesquera wrote: »
    I am remaking some torch design i've had in mind for a while now (you can see the old one here).

torches.jpg

Which one does look better?

I like 4, but if only if it has a more subtle dent in it.
  • limesimme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    limesimme polycounter lvl 11
    Number 1 looks just like the old concept, intentional?
    I like 3 the most, more subtle dent though ;)
  • CWalkthroughs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CWalkthroughs polycounter lvl 6
    Psyke wrote: »
    2z82qrl.png

i think i can enjoy my treasure hat a little more now.

Now you just gotta edit the particle effect to go with it...
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its a tree cannon for the soldier, simple ao bake. just under 3k triangles, and using default R-Launcher trigger. The front and rear are quite boring, but once i properly uvmap this and give it something akin to a texture, that should be somewhat mitigated.

Meant for the medieval pack, and inspired by my viking theme pack during the polypack, and as a potential improvement on it.

glad i can move the particle effect locations within the qc, as this doesn't have a rear exhaust.
    item_test0000.jpg
    item_test0001.jpg
  • ComfyCushion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it needs a slightly bigger hole. and maybe a Gothic sort of flourish on the sight.
  • Elbagast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Medieval huh, might have a go at that if something catches my eye.

@Norron, RustySpannerz: Anything in particular about that scope? Is it the more exaggerated eyepiece? That does seem to make it stand out more.

@RedSheep: Edges can be sorted out later, it was a bit more about getting the shapes at this point. I've had a play around on newer revisions though, and the sharp trigger guard is looking out of place now...

@Contrails: Yeah they probably weren't around, but the Sniper already has a laser sight module like a modern one on his regular rifle... Making it too big also seems like placing a lot of importance on it, though since it can potentially change the silhouette so I'm going to play around with it some more, since I'm still not quite sure how to work it in. A bigger one might look cool, so we'll see what happens. A shorter wire definitely cleans things up though.

A teleporter like that would certainly make the Australians on the battlements of the keep less irritating...

@Svdl: Maybe more contrast between the frame and the internal components would help the rear - it would make the frame stand out a bit more.

@APesquera: I'd go with 4 with subtle/simple damage, maybe a metal chip or two, and a frayed end for the handle like your original concept.

@re.wind: Maybe make the straps into cast ridges, kinda like this. There seems to be a lot of different cannon designs out there so you certainly have a lot to play with

---

Well I've gone through 2 model revisions since I last posted, first one:

tf2_sniper_rifle_model_test_3_by_elbagast-d378tri.png

Removing the side mount for the scope made the shapes a lot easier to read, while scaling the scope eyepiece down this far made it feel a bit too 'normal' as it were, wasn't really expecting that. The main thing I don't like about this one though was the height above the trigger area and the way the stock terminates, it feels a a bit odd.

So I had another go, this time turning the boxy area from some all-encompassing lump to something that bulks up a bolt-action mechanism, and making the eyepiece a bit bigger again:

tf2_sniper_rifle_model_test_4_by_elbagast-d378uu5.png

Arguably it's a lot closer to the normal rifle than when I started (in that it has a detailed bolt-action mechanism), but I no longer feel inclined to totally rebuild it...possibly because that section was actually quite boring without the detail. The side on profile isn't that different from before either.

The scope/mount and the barrel detailing seem to have the biggest impact on target identification so I'll be playing around with those areas more now. Still not sure about the laser, it might be a bit too similar. I'm going to look into integrating it into the scope somehow.
  • ColonelBD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wooo mock up time!

Seeing as how quite a few a people are making medieval versions of Sentries and stuff, I thought it would be nice to create a wrench replacement that they can use to build them with. Because someones bound to make a hammer, I decided to put a medieval spin on the classic wrench. Problem is...they didn't exist then.

So unfortunately I'm clueless about how to make this look medievaly, whilst still looking like a wrench. This is what ive got so far:

blender_render_MW.jpg

w_withoutAO.jpg

v_withoutAO.jpg

The top bit on the head, the indent on the main body and the handle are all going to be wooden. But apart from that, it just feels too modern to be obviously medieval.

Any suggested would be GREATLY apreciated :)

@re.wind:
    Oooh fancy, I agree with Comfycushion though, it just looks way to bare at the moment. if its based off a tree, maybe you could add like a brqnce coming off the side of it, or would that just look to cheesy?
  • Sparkwire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @re.wind you got some smoothing errors on the front of the tree launcher

4d8553025aea2f4a7f33e65007243c2e.png

the tub thing holds battery acid which powers the drill, and on each kill more acid is created which makes the drill spin faster and with more torque, ie more powerfully.
    my problem is that i dont know what the drill motor should look like.
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron polycounter lvl 13
    Elbagast wrote: »
    @Norron, RustySpannerz: Anything in particular about that scope? Is it the more exaggerated eyepiece? That does seem to make it stand out more.

Your original definitely had more pleasing silhouette thatn the variants. I like the thicker wire much better too. The scope's as large and as bulky as the original rifle's but has a different shape to it that I like.

Also, your second model revision is much better than the first. You're right about too much meat above the breech and barrel making the rifle look odd. Most real rifles have the barrel very near the top to increase the difference between the point of aim and the bullet trajectory.

I'm not a huge fan of the boxy beleveled look though, maybe try it with some smoother and less wide shapes. It might make the First person view near the back of the receiver more interesting too. Right now we're looking at a box with a few cuts in it.
  • ShadowBrain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparkwire wrote: »
    @re.wind you got some smoothing errors on the front of the tree launcher

4d8553025aea2f4a7f33e65007243c2e.png

the tub thing holds battery acid which powers the drill, and on each kill more acid is created which makes the drill spin faster and with more torque, ie more powerfully.
    my problem is that i dont know what the drill motor should look like.

I'd say look at some regular powerdrills, combine multiple existing ones into your final model.
  • Sparkwire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • LVG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LVG polycounter lvl 12
    Can anyone shed any light with adding an "attachment" for particles on my model, do i add the bone to the model or anything special like that?
  • Some Jerk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ColonelBD wrote: »
    Wooo mock up time!

Seeing as how quite a few a people are making medieval versions of Sentries and stuff, I thought it would be nice to create a wrench replacement that they can use to build them with. Because someones bound to make a hammer, I decided to put a medieval spin on the classic wrench. Problem is...they didn't exist then.

So unfortunately I'm clueless about how to make this look medievaly, whilst still looking like a wrench. This is what ive got so far:

The top bit on the head, the indent on the main body and the handle are all going to be wooden. But apart from that, it just feels too modern to be obviously medieval.

Any suggested would be GREATLY apreciated :)

Instead of a medieval wrench, have you considered a medieval blacksmith's hammer?
  • Pogo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @LVG you need a bone at the point where the particle will be emitted from.

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Particles_On_Models
  • LVG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LVG polycounter lvl 12
    Pogo wrote: »
    @LVG you need a bone at the point where the particle will be emitted from.

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Particles_On_Models

Thanks,but I've tried that do I skin it to the model as when I don't i get a the bone won't show in the Model viewer, and when i do i can't compile or have it generate the QC line for the co-ordinates etc.

15q28wl.jpg

23vnh4o.jpg

108brr5.jpg

I have those seems on the wire frame causing the black lines but i'm too new at this to know how to get rid of them properly