Home General Discussion

Autodesks 2015

Replies

• Vertrucio
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio greentooth
    3ds max's camera has been driving me insane for years now. My camera just tends to orbit around random points in the ether if I have nothing selected. Although what's more frustrating is that sometimes it actually orbits around what I want sometimes.
  • radiancef0rge
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    are you using orbit sub object or orbit
    original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1
  • Wesley
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    Yeah whatever changes have been made to the camera is driving me nuts. I never used to use object/sub-object orbit and got along fine for years. And now I'm being forced to use sub-object mode in order for it to be half useable, but it's now taking twice as long to do usual tasks when needing to move around the model/envir selecting stuff.
  • Bruno Afonseca
    are you using orbit sub object or orbit
    original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

I've tried all of them and none seem to behave like the 2012 for example. When I unselect something the camera seems to pick any random point to pivot around. Editing big stuff feels quite weird, sometimes it's easier to just turn on the WalkThrough mode and strafe around the object :P
  • Mark Dygert
    I normally do a "here's what cool in the new version of max" post for the main page and there wasn't that much to get excited about. It would have been more like "here is what is disappointing about the new version of max". What was there, like Per pointed out, is pretty broken and not really functional.

The new layer manager/scene explore, lacking in a lot of core ways when compared to tools like Outliner (maxscript).

Quad Chamfer, it broke on simple stuff or I wasn't using it right. After reading the documentation and checking out some examples, I still don't really understand it. I know what it should be doing, or at least I thought I did, but I've said screw it and build corners like I always have.

Placement tool, is just a reworked tool that's been in max for years, its probably the only thing to get excited about. I guess it would be more exciting if I never knew about it before, it might seem new and revolutionary...

Populate, procedural crowd animation just isn't all that useful for me. This is their only animation improvement and SO MUCH of their animation system is broken. Really disappointing.

ShaderFX, lacking opacity support, hard to start up, funky interface that doesn't behave like other node editors in max.

Particle Flow, they changed up the UI so it behaves a bit more like slate, but cooked up something new for ShaderFX.

Something cool would have been PBR materials and a viewport to go with them...
  • WarrenM
    Per - How wonderfully vague. How is it broken, I'm curious.
  • WarrenM
    No, I was genuinely curious. My tone may have come off more snarky than intended. Just trying to learn stuff! Thanks for the info!

EDIT : Ugh, yeah, that looks ugly. How is Cinema4D overall? I've heard it's not really being updated as a modeling app anymore but I have no idea if that's true. Is it worth checking out if I'm already comfortable in Modo or Max?
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    luls, that second pic is shameful.
  • Spoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    perna wrote: »
    Modo's are awful.

As Someone who has just started to learn MODO, as everyone seems orgasmic about the modeling tools, this have made me curious. Why are they so bad, you think? For the same reason as the images you have posted?
  • Klaudio2U
    Offline / Send Message
    Klaudio2U polycounter lvl 8
    I always get the feeling from Autodesk, Maya or Max, like they are not using software they are making. When testing features, modeling for example, it's like couple of tests on new feature is done on a cube. So as long as tool is successfully started, it didn't cause a crash and finally it seems like something is happening in cube...great. Oh, yes, it's all done not by someone with experience in modeling but some guy specialized jn dynamics or something but currently has nothing better to do.
    Now straight to marketing and make that guy that supposedly is using software for like 20 years say how the same feature is extensively tested, revolutionary and how he just can't live without now...eh

Just sayin' ... :)
  • Nox
    Offline / Send Message
    Nox polycounter lvl 5
    Just for comparison.

Clipboard01.1400864706.png

modo.1400864810.png
  • Nox
    Offline / Send Message
    Nox polycounter lvl 5
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    oh shit 801 is hot...
  • repete
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    That's lovely :poly121:
    Nox wrote: »

Clipboard02.1400866819.png
  • radiancef0rge
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    Klaudio2U wrote: »
    I always get the feeling from Autodesk, Maya or Max, like they are not using software they are making.

This is not even remotely true. There is an extensive feedback community that provides relevant and valuable input on features etc, as well as staff with extensive industry experience. Sweeping statements like this without any information are really unnecessary
  • haiddasalami
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Capture.PNG

What Maya 2015 does, just so we have references to all. Some new stuff I saw like compatability mode and auto fit which seems to help fix the warping/skewing happening with the chamfer. Can technically play around/experiment though once you delete history its gone. Doesnt deal with corner like how Perna posted but instead shifts them left/right like C
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Cant seem to justify the upgrade still, even on student licenses, which is free. The info on basic things like chamfer now being broke, it just makes me cry. I'll stick with my still moderately broken 2012. It's the devil i know.

Also the user base has been crying for functionality they have never received. I've seen top rated things tossed aside and or ignored since it started and since then, stopped participating.

Wouldn't it be interesting if everyone boycotted the user "suggestions" till they dealt with the major ones?
  • nervouschimp
    Offline / Send Message
    nervouschimp polycounter lvl 4
    My modo 701 results don't look nearly as bad. Blender included as well.

modo-bevel.png
    blender-bevel.png
    blender-bevel-2.png
  • The Mad Artist
    Offline / Send Message
    The Mad Artist polycounter lvl 13
    Yeah so after a week of messing with it, I've gone back to 2014 for the time being. I'll be working on a piece and go to orbit around it and the camera just rotates instead of keeping a focus point. I've messed with the various orbit settings and it still happens. Very annoying.
  • perfect_paradigm
    Offline / Send Message
    perfect_paradigm polycounter lvl 7
    Anyone else have their eyes hurt by the new intense neon manipulators in Maya LT 2015? I think that will give me eye strain if I use Maya long.
  • Vertrucio
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio greentooth
    For those still having trouble with orbiting in Max 2015, turn off the zooming in and out to cursor. It won't fix all of the orbit issues, but when you zoom to cursor it also sets the orbit center around where you just zoomed. If you're zooming in and out of a model a lot, this will cause some frustration.
  • Harbinger
    Offline / Send Message
    Harbinger polycounter lvl 8
    Bellsey, I've got a new Maya 2015 bug for you. Smoothing certain meshes in Maya 2015 takes about 60 seconds, compared to nearly instant in Maya 2014. I exported an .obj that I use to repro in both packages and tested with default prefs. Where's the best place to submit this?
  • arshlevon
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    dont know if thats a bug or your machine is not compatable with the new open subdiv that maya is using for smoothing now. i think you can disable opensubdiv in prefs. i have no problem smoothing in 2015
  • Harbinger
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon wrote: »
    dont know if thats a bug or your machine is not compatable with the new open subdiv that maya is using for smoothing now. i think you can disable opensubdiv in prefs. i have no problem smoothing in 2015

Sweet baby Jesus that was it! Thanks! I've got a beefy machine, so I'm not sure if it's a horsepower issue. I'm running it on high poly hard surface stuff, half million triangles per piece. Catmull-Clark takes forever. Good 'ole Maya Catmull-Clark on Legacy settings is exactly what I needed, smooths are almost instant.
  • arshlevon
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    open subdiv uses your GPU for the smoothing, so if your gpu is a few years old, or you are taxing your gpu with shaders or giant monitor resolutions then it will be really slow. but if you have a new gpu like a titan it can push way more polies than the old way.
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Yes! cant wait for an even longer boot up time!
  • SaboR1996
    Offline / Send Message
    SaboR1996 polycounter lvl 8
    QUAD CHAMFER!

okay, I just read it breaks regular chamfer. nope.
    I will stick to my 2013 I think.
  • Bellsey
    Offline / Send Message
    Bellsey polycounter lvl 8
    There is a preference under Settings>Modelling where you can set the default subdivision method.

And if Maya 2015 is taking a while to boot, try turning off plugins you don't need. Especially ones such as Alembic, AlembicBullet, Bullet, Xgen, and Bifrost.
  • Harbinger
    Offline / Send Message
    Did some more testing tonight while waiting for some bakes to finish. So with the new Open SubDiv smoothing algorithm I can understand why it would be using my GPU to render a mesh with smooth preview on, or if I'm doing animation and it's updating the subdivisions every frame, but I'm not, I'm simply smoothing high poly models to bake via the Mesh -> Smooth command. I have a GTX670, which isn't a beast of a card by today's standards, but it should be plenty powerful to smooth a 200k mesh. Tonight I noticed that switching back to the legacy software renderer gives me the almost instant smooth command results that the legacy smooth algorithm gives me. So why would the combination of Viewport 2.0 and Open SubDiv make meshes take ~60 seconds to smooth?
  • oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    maya 2015 extension now also with send to unity and unreal...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h949lWBJQLQ#t=112

and max with openSubD...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Cy3niOZ7nA
  • kurt_hectic
    Offline / Send Message
    kurt_hectic polycounter lvl 10
    OpenSubDiv with parametric crease !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A few years of delay but it is!

bqpzgj.jpg
  • free 3d models
  • Millenia
    Offline / Send Message
    Millenia polycount sponsor
    opensubdiv will certainly in-crease modeling speed

Seriously though 'bout friggin time they added that in Max
  • rino
  • Noren
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren polycounter lvl 19
    rino wrote: »

A great tool, but not fully supported OpenSubDiv, especially when it comes to data exchange.
    Here's a recent free plugin for 3ds max, which works for a few versions back:
    http://www.magicpics.com/mps/mps_opensubdiv.html
    (Haven't tried it yet. )
  • FelixL
    Offline / Send Message
    FelixL polycounter lvl 4
    Yes, turbosmooth pro or plain old double-turbosmooth are basically the same thing as opensubdiv. It's not a silver bullet that makes subD modeling super easy all of a sudden.

From looking at the videos, the advantage autodesk's implementation over TS pro seem to be:

- Multiple options for handling UV distortion, consistency with Mudbox and Zbrush
    - Can export /import crease values to other programs
    - GPU acceleration (remains to be seen if it just speeds up viewport performance or also interactivity-> working on the mesh with show end result toggle on)

The downsides that I see are:

- Isoline display doesn't seem to work as expected, with TS pro it really shows just the base mesh.
    - No crease control through smoothing groups. SGs are way more robust when changing the mesh and don't break randomly like creases do. Also, with SGs you have a better idea of where the creases are when looking at the basemesh with no modifier.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    yeah, I've been using TurbosmoothPro for awhile, but its nice to see this in Vanilla Max. :) Yayyy!
  • kurt_hectic
    Offline / Send Message
    kurt_hectic polycounter lvl 10
    rino wrote: »

I got it but:

-TSpro don't work well with crease, and works slow when it comes to the production scale
    -quad chamfer is better but can create limited shapes, isn't like open sub.
    -and autodesk created crease mod with groups and cool selection

Overall- I'm super happy. That's the news of the month. Too bad it got so little attention.
  • dur23
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    xsi does okay on the front ones too

MVRCiiB.png
  • artquest
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    Warren: I'm not a C4D expert. It's kind of weird. It was some awesome stuff and some awful stuff. Check this though:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rnvvk8_llp8

..... this exact issue has been driving me insane for years. Are there any scripts for maya or modo that can do this sort of thing?

Perna what is your current solution? Importing into C4D to do the bevels?
  • artquest
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    Truthfully, I've found that none of this is a major problem in real-world production.

For one, I rarely actually need the corner quad chamfer, and when I do need it, it's often with a specific result in mind that can't be achieved except in C4D, and doing it there requires so much fiddling that you might as well use the SUDB approach.

That's what I often do. Just make a bunch of boxes, subdivide them, with smoothing group separation for extra control. This works on the same principle as making a quad sphere, and has the added bonus of giving you great control over exactly what result you want, and unlike with the chamfer tools it's limitless. Just collapse the meshSmooth modifier when you're done and you have your nice quad mesh.

I actually get all the same problems with the default bevel in maya. Why is it so bad at the basics? (I may switch to max or modo for hard surface soon.)
  • Dantert
    Offline / Send Message
    Dantert polycounter lvl 10
    Guys I have a problem with the modeling toolkit. When I use any function, quad draw bavel and the others the interaction is not smooth, the mesh starts to flicker and I can't clearly see what I'm doing till I release the mouse button. I tried to repair and reinstall it but the problem is still there. Anyone has the same problem? I searched if it's an option somewhere and on the internet but I can't find any help...

I tried to capture the problem in a screenshot, on the right you can see that it get's all blurry other than flickering....
  • Cibo
    Offline / Send Message
    Cibo polycounter lvl 10
    Yep, Maya Bevel Tool is horrible. The beveled edges are often only very little off but when you need point correct models you see to late that something is not right because the difference was too small.

I wish for a "sculpt ready make" button with a intellent smoothing option for equal quads.
  • beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Harbinger wrote: »
    Anybody using Maya 2015 yet? I'm building a new environment and every time I open my files, random meshes lose their material assignments. Everything is in proxy phase right now so I have lambert1 on everything. Meshes turn green, aka lose the default material assignment.

5 service packs later and it's still happening. :poly118:

So fucking annoying.

Edit: I kind of figured it out.

Since the shader is still "assigned" to the mesh, but the mesh is green, I was able to graph the input connections of the shading group (ahead of the actual shader). Then, I could just drag-select all of the meshes it was apparently connected to, and re-assign the shader.

Not the best fix, but for now it works.

Sounds like something that could be scripted easily to fix :D
  • Brygelsmack
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    Did they seriously remove Cut faces tool from the marking menu in Maya 2015? Now there's just an empty space there. It was so useful in 2014, I don't get it.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    Why not just use the multi-cut tool and middle click and drag?
  • bugo
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    use marking menus, it's still there.
  • StephenVyas
  • Brygelsmack
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    bugo wrote: »
    use marking menus, it's still there.
    It's not for me.

hu6pfPD.jpg