Home Quixel Megascans

Quixel SUITE - News

Replies

• TerryVFX
    Offline / Send Message
    TerryVFX polycounter lvl 3
    Thanks teddybergsman that was a great response and great examples, I will test my luck with some of my models to see how it goes. Also thanks bfg900 and Meloncov for also trowing light into the issue.
  • Devil_Inside
    Thanks a lot for the reply! Can't wait for all these features to be released!

I also have a small suggestion: with all these questions and all the answers you give in this thread, I think it would be a good idea to add a "helpful tips" section to the wiki, where you can sum up all this info in a more structured way.
  • programmer23
    Offline / Send Message
    programmer23 polycounter lvl 6
    Hey, I m loving Quixel Suite so far but I was wondering if there was any way to adjust the material ID map after generating the base or add new areas on the map.
  • grfxman
    Offline / Send Message
    grfxman polycounter lvl 6
    So I pre-purchased Quixel Suite and just started looking into it today. I have a couple of Noob questions.

_1 Do I need to put in my serial # on the Beta?
    _2 Is there a PDF version of the manual. (I am often offline)
    _3 What are these Presets I am reading about and where could I find them? Someone mentioned there would be download links in the customer section of the site, But I can't find any.
    _4 Where Exactly are the Megascan Samples when the Beta is installed?

Thanks for your time :)
  • spahr
    Offline / Send Message
    spahr polycounter lvl 8
    So far I love the new dDo. Havent really had any problems(besides user errors). Just been dabbling the past couple days, retextured these two assets, I am really digging the results (especially up close).

First impressions of dDo, much bigger library out off the jump, much much much faster, tidy workflow, 3Do is gorgeous, dynamask blew me away. The megascan library is great, but mostly I just love how artist can dig around under the hood now and get a real variety of results.

r6w5X4O.jpg
    Qe9wVQn.jpg

*Ill leave any issues/ideas I have in the technical talk discussion.*

Hats off to anyone who helped make this tool. I cant wait to start making some new assets with the new workflow in mind!!! Best $100 I've ever spent.
  • Mr Whippy
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Whippy polycounter lvl 7
    With PBR being so new to the industry, multiple standards have emerged and it's easy to get confused. DDO should of course support all these standards, and will shortly.

That all sounds great, thanks for taking the time to just clarify those for me. I did have a nosey around the site but couldn't find any specifics.

I'm excited to see new tutorial videos explaining the ideal workflow with the newer UI and features!

Great work.

Thanks

Dave
  • hooblegooblin
    Offline / Send Message
    hooblegooblin polycounter lvl 5
    L1jvne8.jpg

I'm guessing this is a problem?
  • Teyon
    Offline / Send Message
    Teyon polycounter lvl 11
    So yesterday I managed to use the suite's DDO without any problems in Photoshop CS5 Extended x64. Today I tried to use it and I continuously got an error about the command "Set" not being in Photoshop. Not sure what changed or if it's just a fluke but thought I'd give a heads up if you're still supporting CS5.
  • Teyon
    Offline / Send Message
    Teyon polycounter lvl 11
    L1jvne8.jpg

I'm guessing this is a problem?

Yup. I got that today too. Didn't get it yesterday. Materials used:

Cotton (worked fine yesterday) and Polypropylene (that one was new for me today). Not seeing the cotton in my preview.
  • Teyon
    Offline / Send Message
    Teyon polycounter lvl 11
    Seems like a way around it is to not assign materials in the load screen. Instead, wait until you've created your base and then assign the materials. That's how I got around the warning message. Note that you'll need to refresh 3DO.
  • programmer23
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, so I have a few questions:

-what is the best way to deal with the UV seams that come up
    -how do I ad my own textures on top of the generated materials such as stickers/blood splatters
  • StrangerDanger

-how do I ad my own textures on top of the generated materials such as stickers/blood splatters
    Wondering that to
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    You can add layers manually to the photoshop document. So say you want to add a sticker to a certain material, select that material in ddo and it'll select that layer group in the ps document (whatever map is active, say albedo). Then you can add your image, and the dropdown menu in ddo has a 'copy layer to all maps' option if you want that layer to appear in the spec/gloss etc.
  • Teyon
    Offline / Send Message
    Teyon polycounter lvl 11
    Give your textures some padding. It's my understanding that Ddo uses your various textures as the base for new ones. So if you have padding, you should be ok. As for adding in your own textures, you can edit the PSD that Ddo creates.

Edit: Ah, beaten to the punch. :D
  • Visceral
    Anyone else having the problem that Ndo is just closing? Im not getting any errors or anything, it just shurts down on random it seems. Its always connected to an action inside photoshop however, so not completly random.

Using Photoshop CS4 on Windows 7 x64
  • Fenyce
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    Visceral wrote: »
    Anyone else having the problem that Ndo is just closing? Im not getting any errors or anything, it just shurts down on random it seems. Its always connected to an action inside photoshop however, so not completly random.

Using Photoshop CS4 on Windows 7 x64

I'm having the same issue from time to time. DDO and NDO both do disapear, just 3DO is staying. The menu is also gone. Simply restarting the launcher helps, since it automatic reloads the still open maps... But it's still weird. (CS5+Windows7 x64)
  • Ali_karimi
    I have this problem with DDO, it closes down if you try to load an Color ID map that is a transparent .png
  • Joshflighter
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
    Anyone else having refresh problems in photoshop Cs6? Ever since I installed the suite, my current tasks aren't showing. For example, if I make a text layer and start typing, it wont show me what I am typing, until I finish and click somewhere else in the window. I uninstalled the suite, and now its all fine. :(
  • IvanKocic
    Offline / Send Message
    IvanKocic polycounter lvl 11
    I have one problem. I cant get quixel to make texture higher than 2k. No mater what i try, it always export them as 2048 x 2048. How to set it him to work on 4k textures. It suppose to be able to export even higher maps, like 8k, but for me, it is only 2k.
  • Ali_karimi
    I think you shuld have your input maps in 4k or 8k - or whatever you want. Then, before exporting go to "Rerender in Full Resolution" and there you have your full scale Maps.
  • cescocm
    Offline / Send Message
    cescocm polycounter lvl 3
    darthjosh wrote: »
    I bet this is a stupid question but how do I export my maps out of
    dDo?m

I bet it too but I can't get it. How can we choose the export format and map names?

Thanks in advance.
  • grimsonfart
    Offline / Send Message
    grimsonfart polycounter lvl 4
    Any news on when Megascans will be available?
  • copyright
    Offline / Send Message
    copyright polycounter lvl 7
    Hey guys, I applied the leather smart material, but I'm having major seam issues, any tips on how to deal with them?

seamz.jpg
  • Grusti
    Offline / Send Message
    Grusti polycounter lvl 10
    Ali_karimi wrote: »
    I have this problem with DDO, it closes down if you try to load an Color ID map that is a transparent .png

Same problem with Photoshop CC :poly127:
  • Ryan Hawkins
    Why do you need to make your ColorId maps transparent though? If there is a special reason why then we can look at trying to find a way to fix this but if not then in the mean time. Just open it up and fill a new layer with black and set it under and save it out, when you load it this should fix the crashing.
  • Ali_karimi
    @Ryan: I don´t need Transparent ID maps. ;)
    It was exported Transparent as default, i changed it now.
    I just figured i write it down here in case someone has crashes because of that and doesn´t know why.

Btw: thanks for the great work @Quixel Team! You and the Suite rock!
  • Ryan Hawkins
    Thanks for the reports and bugs guys it helps us a ton, please don't hold back either tell us what you like and don't like because it will ultimately help us make a better tool for you guys.

Thanks Ali_karimi, just wanted to make sure we got it sorted out. Thanks for the support and compliments it means a ton for us and helps us in the middle of the night when we have not slept yet to push out an update. Keep up the great work guys!
  • Fenyce
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    Another bug:
    Whenever I go in and do something hand painted (either in NDO sculpt mode or on a new layout in DDO) I get from time to time a problem that when I start a new brushstroke somewhere it draws a line to the outside of workspace.
    It's the same effect as if you where holding strg to get straight lines between two points you paint... but I didn't do it and didn't attend to get that effect. And beside that it's not connecting two points I did but the line ends somewhere on the edge of my workspace. And I can't figure out why exactly this is happening.

Has someone else this problem?

(I'm using PS CS5 + Windows 7x64)
  • explodingseashells
  • TimPogson
    Hey doods, I keep getting this error when I try and create my base. I've made all the programs run as Admin, I'm just not sure what else to do any help would be awesome.

QuixelError.JPG
  • sltrOlsson
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Global scale setting would be amazing :) I find my self putting in the same scaling on every single layer I'm working on..
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    -For 3do how do I turn off the cavity map, it's hard to tune my normal map using just nDo and 3do because there is this cavity/convex diffuse map that always seems to be present, I set the diffuse and specular to zero expecting to see nothing yet I still see texture on my model even though I'm just working with a normal map?

-Could you disable the sharpen filter by default, this is a really strange post process to have turned on when you are trying to create textures, normal or otherwise, you are basically not showing the user what they are creating.

-3do pbr shader, is this a bug I set diffuse to 50%, specular to 0%, gloss to 100%, but I still see reflection on my model? This feels broken, in UE4 and every other shading model I can think of 0% specular means no reflections am I missing something?
  • Rabant
    @TimPogson - I believe you can fix this by resetting the photoshop Prefs. The easy way to do this is the hold ctrl+shift+alt when you launch photoshop.

The problem I am having is that I can't select my material ID's in 3Do. I hold down 'c' and then shift+left click and it does nothing. I thought that it may be my material ID definition, but I downloaded one of the demo models from quixel and I still have the same problem with their models/mat ID's.
    The other issue that has popped up, that I never had an issue with in previous versions of dDO, is that now my UV's show up on the base texture for some reason....
    Hopefully I am just missing something simple to fix these problems :)

*edit* The UV problem is solved. Apparently I had a small weirdness when I baked my color input map and where the poly edges were, the colors assigned were a fraction off from the base color, which gave the illusion that there were UV's showing, when in all reality, dDo thought it was a different section.
  • elodakielod
    Hi! I textured this battle fury with the new suite. I love the new suite :) . The only problem i had with it: i couldnt insert a custom model into 3DO, when i was working only with NDO at the beginning of my texturing process.
    10368842_10202255963342484_6189725720120356612_o.jpg
  • elodakielod
    Sorry for spamming guys, im pretty new here so i accidentaly posted more times the same image.
  • elodakielod
    Sorry for spamming guys, im pretty new here so i accidentaly posted more times the same image.
  • Toastman
    I can't seem to start any module but 3DO from the Suite UI. When I try to load any of them, nothing is happening and the Suite UI just closes with no error message.

I have set everything to run in Admin mode, including the Photoshop executable.

What am I missing?
  • Grusti
    Offline / Send Message
    Grusti polycounter lvl 10
    Why all the maps that I have created, become blurred?
  • gomgom50
    Dis a test with the new ddo and 3do, this is the result.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DufGLHLwcGM

It was realy quick and easy to make, can recomend.
  • DevMatt
    Offline / Send Message
    DevMatt polycounter lvl 7
    Does anybody know how you can tweak mask in the new Ddo ?
  • 3Dyan
    Offline / Send Message
    3Dyan polycounter lvl 13
    Will 3DO support different tangent basis similarly to Toolbag 2? (max tangents / maya tangents / etc...)
  • Sinking
    gomgom50 wrote: »
    Dis a test with the new ddo and 3do, this is the result.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DufGLHLwcGM

It was realy quick and easy to make, can recomend.

Sexy looking. Nothing I don't like about it, except maybe the writing could have a tiny normal bump to separate it from the metal. But I don't know if that is visible on the Elysium nades as a bevel; probably not.

I was just here to say how amazing Quixel is! In a couple of years they have convinced even the most sceptic people. Ndo was always useful, but I've had my doubts with Ddo for a long time. But now - just wow!

And I wish more companies had this kind of decent pricing for freelancers! With the megascan thing they will have a steady income and it is also really fantastic looking. Didn't check the pricing on that though.

My next model with be using this suite! Can't wait. Thanks Quixel, awesomenauts!
  • AlexSeverin
    Hi! Awesome tools you created out there! Nice job. The sad thing, however, is that I can't get NDO to run in CS6... I click and the suite just disappears. :( Too bad, since NDO is the tool I need the most. OS: Windows 7 64-bit. Set each app to run with administrator rights.
    Works fine in CS5 though!
    Keep up the good work
  • Dancuka
    Offline / Send Message
    Dancuka polycounter lvl 3
    Man, just wanted to share something I put together this weekend with your new tools. The workflow is kinda new to me but still easy to get into. Really love the new Suite. 100% all nDo and dDo with this one. Rendered in Marmoset2. One question tho, what is the best way to work with custom layers with the new suite? For example if I want to add some decals like text and logos with custom images and I want to move them to a certain location? Now I just added them manually afterwards on top of the final textures. Is there a tutorial for that yet? Maybe someone asked this already but I missed it. Thx!
    rend1.png
  • programmer23
    Offline / Send Message
    what maps do I need to export from ddo to get the same look in ue4 as I have in the 3do previewer. I try to plug in the exported specular map and it becomes all dull in UE4 where there should be shiny material. I have to be missing something simple.
  • synthorange
    VbFEfmn.png

Is anyone else having trouble getting their models smoothed in 3DO? Plus the sample models are smoothed fine, but all the ones I've built with blender, Cinema 4d and Zbrush are all unsmoothed.
  • EGGO
    Offline / Send Message
    EGGO polycounter lvl 11
    synthorange It's better to use Riptide plugin to export meshes from C4D to marmoset or 3do. Just check "Export Normals" and uncheck "Export Ngons" in options and your mesh will be smooth like it should be.
    Can anybody give some step by step instruction on how Devlook works. Can't figure out it (3do preview doesn't work properly so as documents after adding materials) and not much info on wiki.
    Cheers, EGGO.
  • EGGO
    Offline / Send Message
    EGGO polycounter lvl 11
  • Rabant
    @programmer23 - UE4 uses a slightly different method of PBR. dDO uses a gloss map where as UE4 uses a roughness map. They functionally are the same thing, however from my understanding the values are on the opposite spectrum. So a Black value for glossiness makes it duller/wider spec, where as a black value for roughness makes it smoother/tighter specular reflectance. I could be inverted on that, I am a little tired. In UE4, you typically don't use the spec input on a shader unless you really wanted to add more specular focus to a specific area (I'm not an expert, but that was my understanding). I am sure there is a way to properly invert the gloss map to make it an accurate roughness map, but I haven't figured it out. I tend to just make the texture the way I want it in dDo, then when I go to export the maps to load into UE4, I approximate the value in the opposite direction. Again, I am sure that there is a way to more efficiently make the switch, but that's what I have been doing so far until I learn UE4 shaders better.
  • Jantomet
    VbFEfmn.png

Is anyone else having trouble getting their models smoothed in 3DO? Plus the sample models are smoothed fine, but all the ones I've built with blender, Cinema 4d and Zbrush are all unsmoothed.

Cinema 4Ds OBJ exporter does not save normal (smoothing) information from Phong Tags/Breaks.

Use the Riptide Pro plugin instead when exporting OBJs from C4D. I have tried it with 3DO and it works.

As far as I know Zbrush has the same limitations when exporting to OBJ (aka does not save any normal (smoothing) information). At high poly counts that´s not an issue, but when using lowpoly out of Zbrush, that can get annoying.

C4D has better FBX support than OBJ (- saves normals...) - and I seem to remember that the old NDO did read FBX files - but 3DO does not. Is there FBX support for Quixel Suite in the works?