Home General Discussion

Dungeon Keeper Mobile

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
I dont want to jump in on the ongoing
shitstorm of the new dungeon keeper mobile game.
Wich is in my opinion a brashness.

Here a good article to read - CLICK
I wish they make an real Dungeon Keeper 3 - waiting for
this game for ages.

Id like to know of you guys - what do you think ? Does
the In-app Purchases Have Destroyed The Industry - or not ?

Replies

• Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    That's BS, 24 hours to dig? Free to play sucks. This is almost as annoying as the whole Forza-on-top-of-the-game-lets-charge-extra-for-cars scheme.

Ok, maybe not ALL F2P. I might sound cynical, but there's so much crap coming out these days!
  • uncle
    People pay gorilions of dollars for these games. Bussiness-wise it is excellent model. It's going to stay whether you like it or not.
  • Stinger88
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    As a huge fan of the original games this new mobile game sounds awful... Watched this the other day, which goes on to talk about how awful the mobile game is (skip to 29mins). EA should be ashamed!!...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DJmS7prcmE"]Dungeon Keeper 2 - This is why we can't have nice things - YouTube[/ame]

Anyhoo... The true successor to dungeon keeper is War for the Overworld https://wftogame.com/
  • Xazas
    Offline / Send Message
    Xazas polycounter lvl 7
    To cheer you up a bit on this topic have a look at this: https://wftogame.com/

THIS is the real Dungeon Keeper 3.

@Stinger88: Lol, posted at the same second.
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    uncle wrote: »
    People pay gorilions of dollars for these games.

Ah yes - Gorilions. Donkey Kong's choice of currency.
  • NegevPro
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    I only see F2P as a problem in mobile apps. Most of the people that use their smartphones/tablets/etc. as their primary gaming platform are people that don't care if they blow $100 on 5 hours of gameplay. They don't know any better.

F2P can be a great thing and there are plenty of examples of amazing games that gain user interest solely because they are F2P. MOBAs, for example.
  • illo
    As a business its a great model, people spend WAY more money on p2play than they would if the app was priced at a flat $50 or so. I went through my bank account statements and found that I have spent $650 over 4 years playing League of Legends. And Im okay with that because Ive gotten 4 years of playtime with that game. but if you had tried to sell me that game for something like $50 I wouldnt have EVER bought it. mind games ftw.

As for this particular game, I think its absolutely fucked up that they essentially MAKE you pay to play it. with that being said, if they make money from it, its here to stay. Truly one of those cliche vote with your wallet scenarios.
  • SanderDL
    Offline / Send Message
    SanderDL polycounter lvl 7
    I don't get how people can put up with these ridiculous waiting times. It's not so bad in some games but I've read that for Dungeon keeper you have to wait for almost every little thing you do. Which is adsurd really.

I've also read that they've made a system which makes it hard to vote a score lower than 5 stars. So they can keep pretending people find it a good game and keep on top of the lists.
  • WarrenM
    That rating thing is only on Android as there's no regulation there. Apple won't let you do that, so people are free to vote as they see fit.
  • WarrenM
    Some games like this are OK ... Clumsy Ninja, which I enjoy a lot, has recharge times on the stuff you can do with the ninja. So I just play until everything is locked recharging and I leave it alone until the next day. I still have fun ... I bought a bag of coins in the game to show my appreciation, as I really do enjoy the game, but I'm not spending anymore.
  • NegevPro
    Offline / Send Message
    SanderDL wrote: »
    I don't get how people can put up with these ridiculous waiting times. It's not so bad in some games but I've read that for Dungeon keeper you have to wait for almost every little thing you do. Which is adsurd really.

I've also read that they've made a system which makes it hard to vote a score lower than 5 stars. So they can keep pretending people find it a good game and keep on top of the lists.
    I'm not too sure about that rating thing but from my understanding, people were just making a big deal about it for the sake of complaining. I thought that if you rated under 5 stars on Android, they just made you fill out a reason on why it isn't a 5 star game. Isn't that a pretty reasonable way of getting user feedback?

It's not like they are throwing out any rating under 5 stars, unless I'm reading something incorrectly.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    If you try to rate it anything less than 5 stars, it doesn't record the review to the app and just has you send an email to the devs. To actually add a non 5 star review to the app, you have to go to the play store.
  • Rhinokey
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    Stinger88 wrote: »
    As a huge fan of the original games this new mobile game sounds awful... Watched this the other day, which goes on to talk about how awful the mobile game is (skip to 29mins). EA should be ashamed!!...

Dungeon Keeper 2 - This is why we can't have nice things - YouTube

Anyhoo... The true successor to dungeon keeper is War for the Overworld https://wftogame.com/

ashamed all the way to the bank
  • zoof
    The thing that is scary with Dungeon Keeper Mobile is that during the tutorial, they basically indoctrinate you to spending gems... I haven't seen it to that scope in a while. It is a nice system for EA to get mobile casuals to open their wallets but this game is not for people that have played DK1,2. I like the visuals and voice overs, the game, if we can call it that, just sucks.
  • NegevPro
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    If you try to rate it anything less than 5 stars, it doesn't record the review to the app and just has you send an email to the devs. To actually add a non 5 star review to the app, you have to go to the play store.
    Ah, well then I can see why that's a problem. I don't own an android device so this is all pretty new to me.

On a related note, apparently Plants vs Zombies 2 just got an update that turned it from a fun balanced game into a cashgrab just like this. It's not nearly as bad but I saw some pretty bullshit things from looking at the patch notes (you now have to pay for lawnmower replacements, they don't reset after losing a level like they previously did.)

I guess this unfair business practice is here to stay, at least from EA.
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Installed the game to see how bad it was. They 'slowly' ramp up waiting times during the tutorial. 10 seconds, 30 seconds, a minute, 4 minutes. Keep saying to spend crystal things to 'get it done right now'. It's overly complex for very little interactivity (I tapped about 15 times in 15 minutes) and very little depth. Then the tutorial ended, it insisted on access to my google plus and the privilege to post and I uninstalled it.

I'm not against mobile games or casual games - in fact I want to focus my own development on a more general audience. I'm not against free to play, adbased or freemium type monetization. I do, however, despise games that consist of nothing but roadblocks and super expensive (there's a fucking 100 dollar option in the game) bribes. Cookie clicker has better pacing, interactivity, story and more respect for players - and I genuinely mean that: a caricature of a bad model actually plays better than Dungeon Keeper.
  • BigErn
    Offline / Send Message
    BigErn polycounter lvl 11
    this is great, not played the game but heard the bad press :)

http://www.jonathancresswell.co.uk/dungeonkeeper/
  • oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    So wait. The rating system linked in game only allows 5 star recordings to be sent to the play store, and all other to be redirected elsewhere? Sounds like Google needs to makr stricter rules for developers to stop this.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Yup, 5 stars is recorded, 1-4 brings up an option to email them and does not record.

Dungeon-Keeper.png
  • NegevPro
    Offline / Send Message
    Dungeon Keeper is currently free on GOG.

http://www.gog.com/
  • MiAlx
    Offline / Send Message
    MiAlx polycounter lvl 10
    ZacD wrote: »
    Yup, 5 stars is recorded, 1-4 brings up an option to email them and does not record.

I'm mind-blown that a company that has started to make efforts to improve their image after John Riccitiello stepped down, all of a sudden goes and does something like this. Who can possibly think that something like this is a good idea for long-term success? Yes, thinking short-term: it boosts their product's rating, so more people buy it, making a lot of profit.

But these loophole tacticts are bound to leave a sour aftertaste to most customers, no? I hope google changes its policy for the rating system.
  • NegevPro
    Offline / Send Message
    It seems like EA is trying to do some tests to see what will let them maximize mobile profits(at the cost of their already shitty reputation).

They released a stupid update to plants vs zombies 2 that would encourage one to spend money in order to get access to other basic gameplay features (although less extreme than Dungeon Keeper) and this turned out to cause a large shitstorm which led to them removing the added money-grab costs.

Now is a more important time than ever to speak with your wallet. If EA sees that people aren't buying into this crap, then they'll have no choice but to stop trying to make profits from charging for core gameplay mechanics. I'm sure they're not done with this movement yet though, I bet they'll try it again with a tuned down intensity in another one of their games.

The best thing to do would be to stop playing any of their games that receives a broken update like this.
  • Alphavader
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    interesting to read

"Will EA learn from the terrible Dungeon Keeper mobile game?
    EA boss Andrew Wilson promises, yes."
  • MikeF
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    "We are as a company, loved by many, but for some, we've had some challenges on a player level,"

Is this guy delusional?
  • Mstankow
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    Well they are a company loved by many investors.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    and Asia seems to enjoy Dungeon Keeper Mobile, not to mention the success of Simpson's Tapped Out. The lesson is, despite hardcore gamers spending the most on F2P you have to pretend they don't.
  • Target_Renegade
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Same old crush saga game, farm bore, micro payment rubbish, yawn.

edit: What's so disappointing is that it has no graphical, ambiance, game-play similarities to the original. Wut?

It's an effing disgrace
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    edit: What's so disappointing is that it has no graphical, ambiance, game-play similarities to the original. Wut?

really? I was pretty impressed with the high production values for a f2p mobile game when I tried it out.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcSCUUVsC2Q"]Dungeon Keeper Android GamePlay Part 1 (HD) - YouTube[/ame]
  • Target_Renegade
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    It's polished, but the ambiance compared to the original - no way. You're supposed to be playing a devil - this all looks too clean, teeny bopper 10 - 14 age range to get credits off of pops. That's their market range.

The key word was/were - to the original. High production qualities - fair enough if you like to emulate World of Warcraft. Free to play has become an excuse for publishers to release games that require you - the player - to put more money into them.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, but don't the majority of us make games expecting the player to give us money? Our industry has it's origin's in a quarter per play afterall, and there were plenty of arcade companies and developers that hated consoles and wanted nothing to do with them. How'd that work out?
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    This is what Dungeon Keeper is supposed to look like,

[ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=4mj1JFIfE88"]v0.4.0 "
  • MikeF
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    Yes, but don't the majority of us make games expecting the player to give us money? Our industry has it's origin's in a quarter per play afterall, and there were plenty of arcade companies and developers that hated consoles and wanted nothing to do with them. How'd that work out?

Of course we should be paid for our hard work, but we really need to move past this model. This kind of nickle and diming shit is worse than the 25 cent arcade model, because at least then i knew that that 25c was going to get me a solid few minutes of uninterrupted gameplay.

This is like going to a movie theater, trying to sit down in a chair then having an usher rush up and stop you to say "well, you can sit down in that chair now, and wait 2 hours OR pay me extra money and we'll start the projector now and keep it on for 15 minutes before we ask you for more money"

F2P works, just not like this.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF wrote: »
    This is like going to a movie theater, trying to sit down in a chair then having an usher rush up and stop you to say "well, you can sit down in that chair now, and wait 2 hours OR pay me extra money and we'll start the projector now and keep it on for 15 minutes before we ask you for more money"

Yes, but since you didn't pay anything to sit down and watch that movie and somehow you're also riding a train while you're doing it, it's not that unreasonable for the usher to come in and ask you to pay a bit. Considering the fact that cost of a premium movie ticket, you could watch 20 movies in f2p theater.

A more apt comparison I can think of is it's an arcade that lets people play for free because the hardcore fans pay to have multiball or the hammer in Donkey Kong.

F2P works even if you don't like it. So far the pay & job security has been better too :P

I'll stop trying to promote that industry, polycount seems like the wrong crowd for it. It's just silly, you guys sound just like indie devs critiquing the "money grubbing" AAA industry.
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Metro gave it a pretty good review, at an astounding 0/10

http://metro.co.uk/2014/02/04/dungeon-keeper-review-microtransaction-hell-4289901/

I love this in the Pros list (Pros and Cons) for the game: "Older smartphones aren’t compatible." LOL
  • Blaisoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    You're supposed to be playing a devil - this all looks too clean, teeny bopper 10 - 14 age range to get credits off of pops.

Exactly. Even if mechanics worked fine I just get over the cartoony harmless vibe that the mobile version has. DK may not have been the most gory and dark game ever but still, this kind of sterilized domesticated "evil" just doesn't do it for me.