Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Community Noob Challenge July 2015 (32)

Replies

• Tom Mackie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tom Mackie polycounter lvl 5
    Good morning, looking good people!!

@ JustMeSR - I would suggest rotating one of the cables on the ceiling 180 to help hide the symmetry. Loving the cushions.

@ TheFroth - Looks good to me, personally I'm going to handle the plants later. The lights do look a bit big, but it might work? Maybe a little thinner. I added two more right above where the viewpoint is. As for the plants I'm guessing we should be using alpha-masking to save on geometry http://makeitcg.com/using-opacity-maps-in-3ds-max/476/ for the leaves especially.

@ Hayden Zammit - I have been snapping to grids in 3DS Max with 5cm minimum and trying to keep as square as possible (usually to the nearest 100/50cm) and re-sizing a lot after checking in-game. The 5cm rule is part of the Unreal Marketplace submission requirements and helps when creating levels in the engine. If you're using Max there is a tool called "Transform Toolbox" which is handy for this

I'm liking the vibe in this thread.
  • Tom Mackie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would say don't worry about the snapping too much though - As long as it looks good and are no holes in it
  • tynew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    @Tom what do you mean a 5cm minimum?

How do my proportions look guys? The coffee table/sofa seem a little off but then if i scale it down to the concept it seems far too small for real world scale?
    eY5KGqk.jpg

EDIT:
    Oh man didn't realise. I created a box to scale of a 180cm man and It showed me my room measurements were wrong. I had floor grids at about 2.5x2.5m. I remember reading somewhere that half measurements are bad for modular environments. So now I'm going to stretch/widen everything out so its 3x3m. That should hopefully solve the cramped feeling im getting and make it a bit bigger like the concept.

EDIT2: dang 3x3 meters seems way too big now lol.
  • Tom Mackie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Think you nailed it Tynew - The player can reach everything and eyeline is a good height.

What I mean is when you have something that is say 123.48cm it will be harder to snap other objects to it and arrange them in engine. I don't think it matters with plants and props (sofa, table etc) as much but more for architecture - Like snapping walls and floors together.

It is not important for this project, but good practice in general. Don't worry about it for now, but keep it in mind
  • ElectricEchoes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElectricEchoes polycounter lvl 6
    I'm with you on this @Tynew, it's my first environment too!

I think everyone has their proportions looking good now. Unfortunately there was a power outage here yesterday so I didn't get anything done. I've started the high-poly today though, so hopefully it'll start taking shape.

Here's my latest update - just a quick test in UE4. How are my proportions looking?

U1CGBQC.jpg
  • Mant1k0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mant1k0re polycounter lvl 8
    I'm with you on this @Tynew, it's my first environment too!

I think everyone has their proportions looking good now. Unfortunately there was a power outage here yesterday so I didn't get anything done. I've started the high-poly today though, so hopefully it'll start taking shape.

Here's my latest update - just a quick test in UE4. How are my proportions looking?

Looking good! Maybe the table is a bit more square-shaped in the concept but that's a detail. I was starting to think about how to approach the panel details on the couch and elsewhere and I saw you already had it covered in your blockout, is that floating geometry?
  • ElectricEchoes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Mant1k0re, I didn't notice that with the table. I have a couple of high poly assets started - including those side panels. They're all modelled in, but there's no reason why you couldn't use floaters.
  • tynew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    Looking good ElectricEchoes!

Now I keep fiddling with these proportions and I still can't get it right with modular pieces. Had to go back to 2.5x2.5m because 3x3 was way too spacious. The windows aren't tall enough but I guess I will get better at this as I keep doing the newer challenges. I think I'm done with the blockout stage.

C9Uhg9B.jpg
  • ElectricEchoes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay guys, so I have a question about the size of the walls in relation to the floor. The raised platform looks considerably shorter than the main floor (even when I disregard perspective). The walls are identical (marked yellow), and I can only presume they are meant to be the same size. However, in order to match the floor I had to make the right wall 100cm longer – meaning they are no longer identical. It’s not really a major problem, but does anyone have them the same size without making the room look squashed?

Tynew, I noticed that you have both panels (top and bottom) on your walls the same size. I did a quick paint over (the red) to illustrate the extra part at the top. That should add some height to your windows once you raise everything. Other than that I think you’re set to start the HP!

3ALzien.jpg
  • Tom Mackie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My near floor is actually double the size of the far one, I'd say is definitely a bit larger.

Today I have mostly been modelling the low-polys. Spent a bit too long experimenting with the vertex normals and chamfer/beveling... Think I'll take a step back tomorrow and maybe start some high-poly stuff.

K6anp0V.jpg
    Got 3,500 triangles for the sofa at the minute - Is that a bit expensive?
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    @Tom Mackie - Its just a static mesh, its almost free. But if you would aiming mobile specs, then it would be expensive, yes. :)
  • JustMeSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JustMeSR polycounter lvl 4
    Tom Mackie wrote: »
    @ JustMeSR - I would suggest rotating one of the cables on the ceiling 180 to help hide the symmetry. Loving the cushions.

Thanks. (For the advice and compliment both.)
    in order to match the floor I had to make the right wall 100cm longer – meaning they are no longer identical. It’s not really a major problem

As you said that shouldn't be a problem, I doubt there are perspective magicians among us that can fill the space with 2 panels of the same length.

3ALzien.jpg

Ouch. Made me realize the room is probably of this shape:
    0GfmfRX.png
    Tom Mackie wrote: »
    Got 3,500 triangles for the sofa at the minute - Is that a bit expensive?

Mine is 60k tris ATM.

I am beveling all of my stuff, so that I don't have to have normal map for every object for the price of higher polycount.
    (Plus it has hi-poly cushions ATM so I am gonna bring it down to something like 15k.)

I would say that if you are gonna use normal map 4k (or even less) is probably the right amount, you'll have to see at which point you start loosing details.

Also progress:
    n5O6euh.png
    SAW7uy5.png
    6LXaq03.png
    DFLTCAw.png
    qdOHuK5.png
    4UFJ4hn.png
  • Mant1k0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man, you're a workbeast. This is coming along so fast, and so nicely. I'm going to have to figure out how to model cushions properly before long.
  • mexell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A little bit late to the party,this is my first time participating in the monthly community challenge,i really hope that i can finish it by the end of the month.

Started blocking out the scene:
    2IurwqO.png

It took me around two hours to finish with the blocking-out.I think i have some proportions issues,so i will try to fix them but i'm really confused with the perspective.
  • mexell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started with the high poly models.Today i was able to finish the lockers and, i also started the high poly for the sofa which is still WIP.

Screenshot:
    v1L6BMk.jpg

I need to add more details and to revisit the cushions.

Finished high polys for the lockers:

VxPAeTq.jpg
    KDFUHd0.jpg

Also here is the scene in Unity 5.

B22quC3.png

Note:Ignore the bad lighting in the scene, i will rework it latter on.
  • Xyrtae
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xyrtae polycounter lvl 6
    mexell I am really digging that couch great job
  • Mant1k0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Mex, well done! How did you achieve the folds on the cushions?
  • mexell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xyrtae wrote: »
    mexell I am really digging that couch great job
    Mant1k0re wrote:
    Hey Mex, well done! How did you achieve the folds on the cushions?

Thank you both for the compliments.I really appreciate it.

Mant1k0re-For the cushions i made them in blender using dynamic topology.It's nothing special actually,it's pretty easy to do and it doesn't take a lot of time.

Here is an example:

I start with SculptDraw brush in "Add" mode,and i just do quick strokes with the brush.

Here is a picture with the values and an example:

x5atqV1.png

After i did that i go into subtract mode ,and again i do quick brush strokes between the folds.So i can give it a more realistic look.

v2EERR2.png

For the final touches i just use the smooth brush.You can go with even lover strength, but i just prefer it around 500.

0mm5nu6.png

Of course, there are better methods to do the folds with better results.But this is just how i do them, hope that i wasn't too confusing while explaining it. :)
  • Coxy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coxy polycounter lvl 9
    JustMe SR: Damn Son! It's looking good and you've made so much progress, looking forward to your future updates.

mexell: Your high polys are looking nice and your scene seems to be coming along nicely.

I've been busy so havent been working on this as much as I have wanted to, but I'm slowly getting there, It seems like most people completely finish a model before they move on to another, I've just been going from model to model adding details until I feel like the assets have enough detail to start texturing. Maybe I should rethink my workflow?

Anyway here is my progress
    4l6b8l.jpg
  • tynew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    @ElectricEchoes
    Thanks for the heads up, that helped!

So when you guys make individual props for your environment, do you have separate project files for each prop or do you just make them all (hp/lp/bakes) in one project scene?
  • Mant1k0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Mex

Ah, I should have known it was a sculpt, I thought you ran a cloth simulation and I wanted to know about your settings but I guess I should have seen it was too high frequency to be the case. Anyway, it's looking quite nice :)

@Coxy

I feel that you're off to a nice start! The one thing I noticed is the cushioning on your couch, the back one actually has an pear-like shape if you look at the profile in the shade of the plant while yours is totally flat, but maybe you're not quite done yet.
  • JustMeSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mexell wrote: »
    Mant1k0re-For the cushions i made them in blender using dynamic topology.It's nothing special actually,it's pretty easy to do and it doesn't take a lot of time.

I like to do them a bit differently. First take into consideration how folds behave in real life:
    clothing_wrinkles_and_fabric_folding_reference_by_conceptcookie-d6ucr58.jpg
    And find a reference photo:
    traditional-leather-sofa-furniture-design-photos.jpg

1st I make sure I have the right shape.
    ceNAs8g.png

Subdivide just until your strokes are visible (not more if you want nice transitions)
    VHSL1a9.png

Smooth stroke ends (the middle of cushions) with large brush.
    o6H2oUJ.png

Finally you can add extra pinch to make folds sharper, more visible and better defined.
    GUvWJLi.png
    Coxy wrote: »
    JustMe SR: Damn Son! It's looking good and you've made so much progress, looking forward to your future updates.

Thanks.
    Coxy wrote: »
    I've just been going from model to model adding details until I feel like the assets have enough detail to start texturing. Maybe I should rethink my workflow?

I've been doing the same thing except I don't use asset specific textures (instead of "couch texture", "bookshelf texture" I have "metal texture", "glass texture"...), so you could try that.
  • homart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    homart polycounter lvl 8
    Hey guys, just jumped in the challenge and started with the blockout! Everybody seems to have done some great jobs!
    Here is my fast blockout ! EaYYDFF.png?1
  • Mant1k0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Omart! I think your proportions are right but your couch seems a little small to me. Good luck!

@JustMe

Thanks for the tip!

Been slowly working on the couch and kicking myself pretty hard for not thinking ahead topology wise. I'm going to get shading errors down the road for sure...

SkMu1hH.jpg
  • mexell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Day 2.

Started texturing some of the assets.I want to make the scene more "grungy/glossy" and with a different color pallet, so i can give it a more personal look.

Here are some examples:
    RPCsAks.jpg
    5KwyvsQ.jpg

I will probably add more details to the texture ,and i also need to broke up some of the repetitiveness in the roughness map.

Mant1k0re-Nice start,looking forward to seeing your couch finished. :)
  • JustMeSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mant1k0re wrote: »
    Been slowly working on the couch and kicking myself pretty hard for not thinking ahead topology wise. I'm going to get shading errors down the road for sure...

SkMu1hH.jpg

REally nice shading. You can get help with topology, once you get errors, but your proportions look off. (may be artistic licence, but some areas, like the darker polygon just looks ridiculous when stretched so much)

Progress:
    tnIAHXL.jpg
    lOdj6ZH.jpg
    EM0Fzmh.jpg
    1G4LnoV.jpg
    qIy6XRR.jpg
  • Mant1k0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JustMeSR wrote: »
    (may be artistic licence, but some areas, like the darker polygon just looks ridiculous when stretched so much)

Hey JustMe,

this time I really don't understand what you meant to say at all. What did you mean by "artistic license", and what exactly are you refering to with "darker polygon"...?

I'm interested in understanding what exactly makes you feel like proportions are off.

On another note, I don't know if you mean it that way or if it's just because English is a second language for you but sometimes your comments come across as slightly offensive, even when you're being helpful. Ridiculous is a bit of a strong statement and doesn't really qualify as constructive criticism in my opinion for instance.

This said thanks again for the comment, hopefully I can figure out what's wrong with my current model.

Your scene is looking very good and I dig the couch very much. Good job!
  • JustMeSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this time I really don't understand what you meant to say at all. What did you mean by "artistic license", and what exactly are you refering to with "darker polygon"...?

By artistic licence I meant "changing it to version I like more". (It's not the proper use of saying artistic licence, but I hoped it would get the point across.)
    I'm interested in understanding what exactly makes you feel like proportions are off.

Here is a mockup of some of the things that feel off.
    J0c05Wi.png
    On another note, I don't know if you mean it that way or if it's just because English is a second language for you but sometimes your comments come across as slightly offensive, even when you're being helpful. Ridiculous is a bit of a strong statement and doesn't really qualify as constructive criticism in my opinion for instance.

I am quite interested in this (I don't want to leave negative vibe, obviously.) [Yes English is not my native language]
    Hopefully I am not asking too much, but do you have any idea why that might be, or how to change that? (I have a feeling that whenever I make these posts I come off a bit robotic/ without personality.)
    Your scene is looking very good and I dig the couch very much. Good job!

Thanks. I can send you the model if you want to inspect it. :)
  • Tom Mackie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow - Lots of lovely sofas! I'm gonna try and get on with the sofa/Bed today.

@ homart - Looks nice, some clean topology there. I would suggest playing with the smoothing groups around the floor and walls to take the gradients off some areas.

@ Manticore - Whats up with your topo? Sofa seems okay to me.. Maybe the base/legs seems a bit thin on the bottom?
  • Tom Mackie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on my fabric sculpting in Zbrush so far. Will try to finish them tomorrow, then maybe start some panels.

Zr22DZN.jpg

Going to be baking them, then rotating the cushions to help add variety/hide repetition.
  • JustMeSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like what you did for the bed support/ leg.

Kinda dead thread atm, anyway here is my invisible (optimizing, UVing and texture planning) progress:

TUthutb.png
    KszsxB0.png
    7lU9dDm.png
    4GNVNNo.png
    BSz54Vn.png
    GjnYTcu.png
  • Tom Mackie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think its dead - People work at different paces and have varying amounts of free time and other commitments!

Anyways, I've been focusing on optimising stuff too, using the sofa as a template to create quite a complex master material to get fewer draw-calls & some fun parameters... Does take a while, and with little to show in the way of screenshots.

You have some nice shots there JustMeSR! I'm not a big fan of post-processing, but think its a nice opportunity to have a go also.

I would maybe suggest copying the windowed wall to the other side also, just to save time and effort... It would mean there is no entrance if the door in the middle was intended for a bathroom however.
  • Bruno Afonseca
    You guys are doing some amazing work :) Keep it up!
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah you guys are killing it! Great job everyone!
  • calen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    calen polycounter lvl 7
    JustMeSR - looking good, sofa looks dope.

I just started yesterday, in the blocking phase. I doubt I'll finish before the end of july, but I'll be following this thread closely.

Also, How in the hell does that door to the bathroom actually function??
  • homart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    homart polycounter lvl 8
    jLAVBfV.jpg
    TiUEa9t.jpg

Still a long way to go, here is a screenshot with mainly all the models created, left to create, wall, floor, window and bed. Then i will go to the texturing phase.

@JustMeSR i really like the way your sofa look good job ! I'm going to try to use marvelous designer for thak kind of material.

@mexell I like the look of your assets but maybe it will look a little too dark? Maybe you should have a grey panel and add some dirt on it?

@Tom Mackie Good work on your sculpt ! Keep it up !
  • HavokGS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello everyone, this is my first attempt at one of these challenges. I think I've gotten it blocked out, might start some detail next. Can't quite get the perspective right though, and I think there might be a few scaling issues? Any feedback would be appreciated.

5c4fHLc.jpg
  • Tom Mackie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice one Havok - Good job so far, & a nice first white-box render.

For me, I would say you want the table top to be higher than the seating, or level at least like the concept so it feels more practical to use, also maybe the bed is too long? When I sleep at night I get hardly any space at the bottom of my bed, but I am quite tall.

I guess the main thing is that it feels right to you. I took a shelf out because I thought it was too low for example. I have just been walking around in first-person in UE4 and tweaking as I go.

Have fun!
  • tynew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    Everyone's stuff is looking great, good blockouts, let's see you guys finish this!

Man, this is pretty difficult. It's a little overwhelming as this is my first enviro and I feel like I have so much to do and so little time. Two weeks left!

I did some more work on high polies finishing the cabinets, sofa, table, bookshelves, pillar and platforms. Finished the forms and Uvs on the walls. Did some rough sculpts on the bed as well.
    NjnFO4j.jpg

This wall was a bit tricky. I feel like I should add bevels to the edges to make it look less low poly but I don't think I'll have enough time. I'll definitely keep in mind to use way more geometry especially for parts like the top for it to stand out more. I think I'm just going to do as much as I can overall and then if I get time just do some polishing. I really want to try and get this all done for this MCNC so I can start the next one on time. I'm just going to use this wall for the entire thing for time.

So far I have all my scene on a single texture sheet. I didn't really want to use tiling textures for the pillar/blue parts so I'm going to see how far I can get with it. This does give me some seams but I'll see if I can fix that in polishing. My texture planning could of been better to prevent this. Currently in Marmoset for now since I don't know how to properly make materials in UE4 yet :poly136:
    LU9EVPX.png
    3cMizeX.jpg
  • Mant1k0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like I wasn't the only one caught up in some real life sh*t :/

I doubt as hell I can complete this by the end of the month now but I'll try to complete as many props as possible at least.

@JustMe

Thanks a lot for taking the time to make that picture, that helped big time.
    I am quite interested in this (I don't want to leave negative vibe, obviously.) [Yes English is not my native language]
    Hopefully I am not asking too much, but do you have any idea why that might be, or how to change that? (I have a feeling that whenever I make these posts I come off a bit robotic/ without personality.)

Don't read too much into what I said. You may have come across as a bit "high and dry" in some posts when providing critique but I personally tend to convey emotions in writing by using punctuation and emoji and I understand that not everyone does that. You've also proven several times over that you are willing to help and that's what sticks in the end!

I have edited some of the things you've pointed out and skipped others, for lack of time. I will come back to the couch when I am done with other props, for now I have spent a bit of time on the bed base mesh. I am debating wether to try and sculpt the thing like some of you guys did (really like what Makie did!) or check out marvelous designer. There's a training DVD that just came out on 3D Motive.

I'm really not too sure how I will tackle the plants eiter. Did you create all the leaves from scratch and then baked to texture for an alpha plane? Your plants look cool.

@Tynew, nice wall texture, I was scratching my head as to how to reproduce this tin foil plating thingy. How did you create it?

tK8GN4A.jpg

Egrmm4b.jpg
  • tynew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    Looking good Mant1k0re! For that tin foil stuff I assumed it was aluminium foil so I just made it metallic. I found some random fabric texture on cgtextures and tiled it. It's not really that accurate right now since I couldn't find anything like the concept.

I think the hardest part of this challenge is the wall pieces and what not trying to get all the textures sorted on them. I personally also think that some of these noob challenges are stuff that might take a bit longer than a month (especially for noobs) and this might be one of them.

Hopefully people stick with it though, and try their best :) You don't have to make it look perfect guys, just try and finish it and then move onto the next piece taking what you've learned with you.
  • Tom Mackie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thought I'd try and get as much done as I can... Still got a long way to go. Hoping to get everything to the texturing stage soon, I like texturing things.

Spent a while detail n cleaning bits, and UV'ing. Should be starting some simple high-poly stuff and texturing this week

vJpr6XS.jpg
    qVl4AxL.jpg
    VhxB2CM.jpg
    eqVLugq.jpg

It's good to see a bit of action on this board - Feeling more motivated!
  • TheFroth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update, my highpoly is mostly done, some touch ups are necessary but overall looking good. Probably won't be able to finish it within the month but I've learned a lot from it. Now only if I could learn to make the render prettier.lmN1Q1n.png
  • JustMeSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Worked on other projects, so I didn't put much time into this, but it looks like I might be able to make it in time.

6tHLFwQ.png
    OZlOG5s.png
    3DV0aDv.png
  • supersnakelx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    supersnakelx polycounter lvl 7
    @JustMeSR - You do know these challenges are for noobs, right? :poly124:

Seriously, great job man!
  • Tom Mackie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bit of an update. Gonna try and add some more before the month is over, feel like I've learned quite a bit, especially in UE4 + Substance Designer.

How's everyone else doing?

zLzsdN7.jpg

Any suggestions on what needs prioritising?
  • HavokGS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update, well I think I've finished with the geometry, including my noob sculpting, now I have to texture.

zbOZvY8.jpg
  • Tom Mackie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good Havok! Think I'm going to concentrate on the texturing also for now. Your sculpting looks nice, maybe the cushions/pillows are a bit too square though?
  • JustMeSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @JustMeSR - You do know these challenges are for noobs, right? :poly124:

:) Thanks. I haven't made any money, yet so I am not a pro either.
    I joined because I like the format of working on something as a community.

This is my last update here. (hoped I could finish before end of the month, but I won't be able to work until the next one) I will post in WAYWO once I properly finish it.

3g3Gp7v.png
    7P7wejN.png
    4U9i2ug.png
  • mabden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mabden polycounter lvl 7
    That's what I made so far
    hBl47NV.jpg