Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Community Noob Challenge July 2015 (32)

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Wulf polycounter lvl 7
Ic0pWZG.png

Hello everyone and welcome to the Monthly Noob Challenge for the month of July.

Hello everyone. We're back for yet another month of awesome environment art. However, this week does not include a prop challenge because I want this month to focus more on the main concept.

Join our Skype group if you want! Add me on Skype and I will add you to the group.
Me: noble.wulf

You don't have to join the Skype if you don't want to, and you don't need to ask to participate in the challenge, just start working and post your progress in this thread!

KF4R9g8.png

sam-brown-sleeping-quarters-finalupdate.jpg?1423828984

Artist - Sam Brown
https://www.artstation.com/artist/sambrown

5SGB61o.png

Feel free to approach either of the concepts however you like but I'd recommend making it as modular as possible to save time and keep things optimized. It's really up to you, and as long as you are learning, it doesn't matter right?

Also if you want to change up either concept a bit, as some people wanted, then feel free. Interpret these concepts to your liking.

There are some things that I would like to point out to for newcomers.
If you only want to do a few props as best you can, then feel free to go ahead and do it. This way you can gradually work on building up to a full scene before diving head-first into the whole ordeal.

B3Uy2w0.png

Please read all the rules before starting.

When you are just starting out making a scene, it can seem complicated or imposing, so take the time to break it down.

Think about how you can re-use assets, re-use textures, break it down as simple as possible and plan it out. A lot of people will break it down in their own way when they start out their challenge. Gather some reference images as well for different parts of the scene, maybe gather some refs and make it your own.

Take your time planning and blocking out, it will set you up for success later on.

Here are some specifics.
  • Try to post one critique for every post that you make. This will make for a better learning environment and help us all grow as artists.

• You must make your own textures, no stealing. We can't keep you from doing it, but the goal is to learn. You can use other textures and images to create your final texture, but please, no blatant copying of another artist's work.

• You must use a game engine to present your work. Unreal Engine and CryEngine are very common engines that can be used, but feel free to use any alternatives that you want.

• You must try your best and finish as much as you can in the time frame provided.

• Post what you are working on in this thread so that way it's a more centralized place for advice and critique. We don't need to have 1000 disjointed threads littering the forums.

• I would strongly encourage you to go and look at other games and see how they make their assets as well as get concept art to give it your own feel, but it must stay very close to the concept, if not super close.

• Please stay away from using Ddo. It's great if you know what you're doing, and for a production pipeline supplement, but other than that, please don't use it. Ndo2 is allowed. This was talked about in the other thread, so please don't complain.

• Well that's about it. If you think that any rules should be changed, or there should be new additions to the rules, please let us know.
All that matters is that you learn, while being able to effectively critique others, as well as accept critiques on your own work. Remember to have fun. Cheers!

Replies

• ross185
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ross185 polycounter lvl 6
    Ah maaan! if I didn't have a million things to finish off already, I'd definitely be on this! I'm trying to cut the bad habit of starting a project and getting half way before getting distracted on another idea!

Good Luck guys, I look forward to what stuff is created from this month :)
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    Been quite awhile since I've worked on a personal project but I might give this a try. Will post a break down of my plans sometime after work! Love the concept but there's a few things I want to change...
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    OOooo Finally something that makes me want to join ^^ Count me in this time. It will be a good opportunity to actually try out the workflow that I'm testing for a long while now.
  • TheFroth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried May's Flamethrower challenge and recently finished although a bit late :/ and was hoping for another item project before doing an environmental but I guess not. I will try my best and do this as my first environmental project. I will post my progress and most likely ask for help on this. Tally-Ho!
  • Mant1k0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mant1k0re polycounter lvl 8
    I'll bite. Sci-fi is not my favourite theme but this one should be fun.
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah, I like this. I'll see how I go. Might try and make it in Ue4.
  • Coxy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coxy polycounter lvl 9
    Been on and off this forum for a couple of years, trying to get back into modeling and creating environments. This challenge seemed like a great opportunity to sharpen my skills in texturing and modeling, It also gives me a purpose and a deadline that will only motivate me more.

2vdi1w8.jpg

So here is the break down, 14 assists seems a bit high for a small environment like this or maybe not? Regardless It will give me practice.
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    that is a pretty sweet concept
  • Port-Seven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Port-Seven polycounter lvl 7
    Yeah this looks really doable in a month :) Nice pick
  • JustMeSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JustMeSR polycounter lvl 4
    Coxy: More like 15. There are 2 different plants, the 2nd one is behind "space sofa". (Plus Bathroom is visible through glass on the left so even more if you don't plan on hiding that.)

Material/ texture plan is (more or less) done. [purple assets will share "unique" map.]
    gIwdsal.jpg

Now onto the blockout.
  • Coxy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coxy polycounter lvl 9
    JustME SR: I didn't even notice that bathroom, thanks. I noticed that 2nd plant, although I was thinking about just making one and reusing, but If I can find the time Ill model both. I like how you've broken down what textures will go on each map, I should do the same.
  • Joviah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am a complete noob and hobbyist, but that's what these monthly challenges are for, right? I'm in!
  • TheFroth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    new
    So I was doing the blockout but found that things didn't seem to fit in their proper place. I understand that it can't be perfect but I felt that my camera's perspective was off or in the wrong place at least. So I took the image and traced the straight lines within it to find the horizon point that normally would converge unto a single point, but I guess not with this image.The red lines on the right side of the image clearly states a horizon line but the red line on the left defy's that point. The orange line shows where that line and edge should be but simply isn't. The intersecting Blue lines will be were I'll decide to place my camera so its the proper height and gives the right perspective in correlation with the image.
    I'm not trying to criticize the artist or anything. I am simply stating that since there is no specified horizon point, that mine and everyone's outcomes will most likely be a bit off, unless people distort their objects to fit the image and perspective.
    Also Sorry for the long post
  • TheFroth
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada polycounter lvl 11
    JustMeSR wrote: »
    Coxy: More like 15. There are 2 different plants, the 2nd one is behind "space sofa". (Plus Bathroom is visible through glass on the left so even more if you don't plan on hiding that.)

Material/ texture plan is (more or less) done. [purple assets will share "unique" map.]
    gIwdsal.jpg

Now onto the blockout.
    Coxy wrote: »
    2vdi1w8.jpg

Not bad on the block out but you might want to think about keeping the archway separate reason being, nicer to UV for you man I think you will have a much nicer time doing so. Best thing about doing this scene guys is that there is not too much you need to manage, you have a limited amount of pieces, meaning plenty of time to polish at the end of month!
  • Mant1k0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I also found that the perspective is seemingly crooked in this concept as I was blocking out. I couldn't figure out a way to get an angle showing both lateral walls as well as in the drawing. Looking forward to see how other participants solve the issue with their composition.
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    How might I go about matching the perspective from Max to UE4? Been lurking around the interwebs for a bit and haven't found anything concrete.
  • Bigbang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First participation too!
    Good choice of artwork but like many of us, i tried to blockout the scene without success. One of the wall might not be 90° or maybe it's just perspective error for the artwork purpose. If so, i might try to do it without blocking out but it may not look like the image
  • JustMeSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase wrote: »
    How might I go about matching the perspective from Max to UE4?

Why do you need to match perspective to UE? The concept doesn't have right perspective anyway.
    Mant1k0re wrote: »
    I also found that the perspective is seemingly crooked in this concept as I was blocking out. I couldn't figure out a way to get an angle showing both lateral walls as well as in the drawing. Looking forward to see how other participants solve the issue with their composition.

I also noticed that while left side has OK perspective the right side is surreal (you could achieve such perspective with something like 160 degree FOV).

As for the approach. On the 1st look it looks right on the concept so I am just gonna eyeball things until they resemble what I see on the concept.
    sziada wrote: »
    Not bad on the block out but you might want to think about keeping the archway separate reason being, nicer to UV for you man I think you will have a much nicer time doing so.

Planning on doing just that. The reason it's merged with wall is because it's gonna use same material and textures.

Progress: Blockout is done. now onto the individual assets.
    DS9NrQ6.png
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    Just want to get the right camera angle. I haven't matched an environment concept before. Just want to start on the right foot
  • SarahYork3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi - Just blocked everything out in Max by eye

TexturePlan.JPG

Blockout1.JPG

Blockout2.JPG

Blockout3.JPG
  • JustMeSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not sure it'll be of any help, but here is my way of doing it:

1. find parallel lines in concept and find horizont from them.
    ngt9kN8.jpg

2. Mach concept perspective center and horizont with camera (by default it's in the middle, which is extra rare in paintings.) as well as check FOV.

3. Eyeball a rough blockout with correct scale and start fixing proportions by looking from camera with overlayed concept.

4. after that is done I ditch camera so any further incostincesties won't bother me.
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue polycounter lvl 10
    You can use the grid to match the concept art, and then drop down some primitives for further improve your match.

Some DCC have a camera matching function.
  • tynew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    Just wondering, shouldn't this environment be modular? The pillars, floors and wall parts look like they could be?
  • Mant1k0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justme: I hadn't thought about adjusting the FOV, thanks for the trick.

Your blockout looks good but I've noticed that you've beveled the lower right edge of the room shell. Whilst doing my own blockout looking closely at the concept I came to the conclusion that most likely the wall would be straight in that area. It particulary shows with your placement of the shelves facing the bed, that looks too far off the wall. Your table looks a bit too large. Other than that, I think it looks pretty good, good job man.
  • JustMeSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew wrote: »
    Just wondering, shouldn't this environment be modular? The pillars, floors and wall parts look like they could be?

Shouldn't every environment be modular? :)
    Your blockout looks good but I've noticed that you've beveled the lower right edge of the room shell. Whilst doing my own blockout looking closely at the concept I came to the conclusion that most likely the wall would be straight in that area. It particulary shows with your placement of the shelves facing the bed, that looks too far off the wall. Your table looks a bit too large. Other than that, I think it looks pretty good, good job man.

It's beveled in the concept as well.
    yvDcso4.jpg

As for the table. I was measuring using the strips on the ground and somehow forgot to check how huge that thing is. Anyway I keep noticing many more issues with my blockout.

Thanks for pointing that out.
  • Mant1k0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, yeah, but a lot less than the other side, no? In fact it's so slight that I couldn't see it at all (that area ended up neing somewhat darker on my monitor.

What I'm trying to say is that the room may be assymetrical regardless of the perspective issues. Anyway, back to work for me...
  • JustMeSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, yeah, but a lot less than the other side, no

I would say that the author intended it to be same, but flat wall would work too.
    In fact it's so slight that I couldn't see it at all (that area ended up neing somewhat darker on my monitor.)

It is too dark to see, I just brightened it up to see if there are any traces of it before darkening.
    What I'm trying to say is that the room may be assymetrical regardless of the perspective issues. Anyway, back to work for me...

I don't see a reason why it couldn't.

Also progress: (can't get reflection probes to work for some reason and lighting is giving me a hard time too so unlit screens for the time being)

O3PaAdo.png
    rc6SAlz.png
    YkZtZSn.png
  • Coxy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coxy polycounter lvl 9
    JustMeSR: It looks like it's coming along nicely, looking forward to seeing the high poly models, I'm kinda happy most of the objects are hard surface, using a mouse for sculpting is a nightmare! Maybe it's just me but is that bed looking a little small?
  • JustMeSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JustMeSR: It looks like it's coming along nicely, looking forward to seeing the high poly models

Thanks. (There shouldn't be many hi-poly models as I plan on making modular/ reusable textures.)
    I'm kinda happy most of the objects are hard surface, using a mouse for sculpting is a nightmare!

I know that feel. (if it makes you feel any better, sculpting with tablet is just way faster and none easier.)

Maybe it's just me but is that bed looking a little small?
    They don't complain. :poly142:
    M9amelX.png

Edit: Also thanks for pointing that out. :)

Done for the day.

ZTYy7e0.png
    uPCA8Qc.png
    2s5T3zp.png
    mjpPqpL.png
  • mabden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mabden polycounter lvl 7
    Create simple blockout
    92E5SpZ.jpg
  • Mant1k0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Done with my blockout, struggling with Unreal a bit.

EnsCaPy.jpg
  • JustMeSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Done with my blockout, struggling with Unreal a bit

The room is wider in the concept. Also there is a block with lights under the ceiling, I think that's kinda important part of blockout too.
    jRsN66P.png

Also progress:
    eP7fZ2U.png
    xCjoAlO.png
    PMsDdQV.png
  • Mant1k0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comment JustMe.

I know it immediately looks that way but if you look at the bed for reference you can see that you would hardly fit a second one along the back wall even if you removed the shelves, and that's exactly the trick I have used to determine the room's width at about 5 meters. With the perspective so wrong on the concept it is difficult to get a 1:1 representation and so you chose to represent a wider room so to get a better representation of the space between the table the and the bathroom door, which works really well in your scene in my opinion.

I just decided to stop worrying about the concept and get cracking.

I didn't forget about the lights, if you look closely at the ceiling you will see them :)
  • Tom Mackie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tom Mackie polycounter lvl 5
    Looking good guys!

@Mant1k0re - Try making some basic materials in Unreal and drag them on your assets, along with a reflection capture to get that nice-shiny sci-fi feel

@JustMeSR - Looks good, you're very quick!

I've been having a go at this one in Unreal Engine. My Progress so far..

White-Boxing from simple materials in UE4
    LO3O2JM.jpg
    A25TAvq.jpg

And my assets in 3DS Max so far, trying to keep it quite modular
    jXImAyt.jpg

Have also made my first star-sphere... Is a bit different from a skybox with the UVs. Found a cool little program called StarScape by Alex Peterson
    DB8PVVM.jpg
    I have been adjusting the proportions quite a bit to fit the first-person perspective in engine, it feels about right.
  • ElectricEchoes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElectricEchoes polycounter lvl 6
    Bit late to the party, but I just saw this and couldn't resist.

There's a lot of promising looking scenes. Understandably the blockouts differ due to the concept's perspective being slightly off. But I think it's key to find the middle ground as there is a big difference between the width of certain blockouts - notably Mant1k0re's compared to Tom Mackie's.

Here's my blockout so far in Max. I'm not sure whether I should make it a little wider. I either adhere to the raised section in the back (which I'm currently basing it off), or the front (which would widen my scene).

jmh9cEi.jpg
  • Tom Mackie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback ElectricEchoes.

I have just had a quick play around with the width of my scene (re-scaling in Max) & it does seem nicer being slimmer!

SFALOsg.jpg

Kind of suits the space theme by compacting available floor-space
  • ElectricEchoes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElectricEchoes polycounter lvl 6
    I think that looks better :thumbup: I felt mine was too narrow so I added about 25cm onto it.
  • Mant1k0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, I think you're right EE, gotta stop trying to think like archvis and aim at something that looks good... I took the cue. I believe it looks better now.

dJjMRFu.jpg

I know the lights are off, I will adjust them tomorrow. It's too hot to work right now...
  • JustMeSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I didn't forget about the lights, if you look closely at the ceiling you will see them :)

I wasn't talking about the lights, rather about the block they are attached to.
    WBbLQax.png
    Tom Mackie wrote: »
    Found a cool little program called StarScape by Alex Peterson

Nice find.
    jmh9cEi.jpg

Nice. (The bed feels wrong, maybe a bit higher and further from the window.)

Nice to see people already at it. I haven't had much time today, at least I improved the lighting.

VNSEUmN.png
    YHUU2c5.png
    Gl6q7VG.png
  • Tom Mackie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ JustMeSR - I like what you did with those stacked boxes at the back of he room.

Looking at some aspects I think you have possibly misinterpreted them?.. Mainly the handle on the side of the drawers doesn't really make sense

zZWmsqP.jpg

Nothing major, and of course we can really create it how we want - just sayin'
  • tynew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    @Tom
    To me it looks like the door handle for the bathroom.

I've never made an environment before. I'm finding it hard to do the blockout by making it modular. There is some weird stuff going on with the perspective. Not sure if I'm supposed to push those cabinets to the right of the bed into the wall :/

RSU8xYM.jpg
  • JustMeSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking at some aspects I think you have possibly misinterpreted them?.. Mainly the handle on the side of the drawers doesn't really make sense

Thanks. Definitively fixing that.

tynew wrote: »
    I'm finding it hard to do the blockout by making it modular.

Don't worry about that just yet. Blockout is there to get proportions right, so that should be you main concern at the time. You can start planning modularity as you start making assets and textures.
  • Tom Mackie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ tynew - Looking good!.. & what JustMeSR just said

Today I have mostly been playing around with materials & lighting/reflections in UE4.

4uiLwfR.jpg

Gonna get back to modelling the low-polys tomorrow
  • Mant1k0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @JustMe

Duh. Yes, I should have seen it. Thanks!

@Tom

I'm ashamed to say I have no idea what you meant by reflection capture but your comment prompted me to start looking at lights in UE4 while fixing my blockout based on JustMe's comments. And as you can see, I can't say the beast is being tamed just yet...

v0uhGaq.jpg

I will actually start modeling assets tomorrow, I guess the logical choice would be walls, floor and ceilings first...?
  • JustMeSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Today I have mostly been playing around with materials & lighting/reflections in UE4.

And getting quite nice results I see. :poly121:

I'm ashamed to say I have no idea what you meant by reflection capture but your comment prompted me to start looking at lights in UE4

CDPvNRU.png
    He meant these 2. They are used to capture their surroundings onto a cubemap that is used in reflections. (place them in your scene for more correct reflections) There is UE content example for reflections, you might want to check that one out.
    I will actually start modeling assets tomorrow, I guess the logical choice would be walls, floor and ceilings first...?

Whatever you want to make 1st. I like to start "complex assets" quite soon so I can jump to simple ones whenever I feel burned out and later make bit more progress on it.

Progress: Played with lights and materials a bit (again), started making 1st material texture, and slowly progressing with assets.

NSnC7r2.png
    ZH4NLdw.png
    Nl7tppC.png
  • TheFroth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's my block out. Still gotta do more on the bed and maybe walls and floor a bit and the plant (which I have no idea how to approach)but other than can anyone else see flaws with it. Much appreciated. s10DYTi.png
  • tynew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    @thefroth
    Your proportions are looking great. Only thing I've noticed is that in the concept the platform has 2 steps and is raised a little higher. What is your FOV at?
  • Mant1k0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Froth!

I think your proportions look spot on for the most part and also I have the impression you really nailed the angle and FOV, however you did it.

The one thing I noticed is that your ceiling lights seem a little too big.
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    How are you guys going about measuring things out in UE4? Are you keeping everything square so its modular and maps perfectly to a square texture map?

Grids and proportions are always my undoing.