Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My first personal project! Stylised market diorama.

Replies

• AnyaElvidge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AnyaElvidge interpolator
    Sparr wrote: »
    I'm guessing you may have already decided on this, but I really liked the red or orange carpets in your concepts rather than the blue. I think I like when you have the upper elements in orange or reddish and mirror that with the carpet below.

Hey thanks for the feedback :) To be honest I'm still a little undecided myself... Since it'll be a while before I get to making my carpet anyway (perhaps after the walls, perhaps before) I'm still open to changing the colour again.
  • reckzilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reckzilla polycounter lvl 8
    Dang! I know piece you're using for reference! It's by a Naughty Dog Artist. You should also check out Scott Homer's portfolio he also jas a similar scene. As for yours it's still early in the process but everything is definitely going the right direction. Try to come up with a back story for scene it will really help e.g. Maybe this is a middle eastern bazaar where residents were forced to evacuate because of military soldiers are about to come through, or maybe this is a Spanish cooridor post running of the bulls and the bulls are gone and the celebration recently ended. Just some ideas can't wait for the hardcore modeling and texturing phase.
  • AnyaElvidge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AnyaElvidge interpolator
    @reckzilla yeah I know Scott Homer's work, so cool. Thanks for your advice.

Update on the baking and stuff. Thought I'd do a test run, baking in 3dsMax. So here is my baked lowpoly in UE4, though it doesn't have the falling/broken tiles because I'm making their lowpoly for baking at the moment.
    tG8aClw.jpg
    jzN4oGN.jpg
    The unbroken floor tiles I'm thinking of just keeping as a normal map, rather than modelling them in.

Also got a slight issue;
    KgbbTti.jpg
    This pixelation is occurring, despite the texture being 4096x2048? If anyone could tell me why that would be much appreciated!

Hope you're all having a nice weekend. :)
  • AnyaElvidge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AnyaElvidge interpolator
    UW0SiyQ.jpg

Properly baked my normal/AO maps in Topogun and fixed all the little things. Also sorted the pixelation-it was because I was basically stretching a 1024 map to a 2048 map one way, hence the stripeyness. It's now two separate textures.
  • AnyaElvidge
  • AnyaElvidge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AnyaElvidge interpolator
    A more interesting update for anyone following my project- I've done some texturing! Finally! I've been learning Substance Painter, and this is what I have so far. I've only been working on the tiles, so now I have to do all the stone/dirt.

10987362_10204288256712623_1447553082218639114_o.jpg
  • AnyaElvidge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AnyaElvidge interpolator
    Started modelling the buildings for sculpting. Going to come back to texturing the base when I've sculpted the buildings in Zbrush, so then I'll have more consistent colours etc.

moRwnNF.jpg
  • AnyaElvidge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AnyaElvidge interpolator
    txOtjcv.jpg
    0R3i4OU.jpg
    FuVtEjk.jpg

Got a lot of modelling, sculpting and baking to do.
  • AnyaElvidge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AnyaElvidge interpolator
    Update for this week. I made some wood and a couple of other textures, which are currently incomplete.

EHSySkB.jpg
    hG8pksz.jpg
    wrdPhhL.jpg
  • AnyaElvidge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AnyaElvidge interpolator
    Been a little while since I updated. Figured my updates were all a bit small and pointless, so here is the culmination of all that small pointlessness so far!

qJRPm4p.jpg
    AwoUuSR.jpg
    PqWPXDa.jpg

Still very much a WIP, but I'm feeling like there is an end -sort of- in sight. All the big big stuff will be done when the buildings are sculpted and textured, so assuming that all goes well I could be doing all the asset population stuff soonish (yeah right). I'm really taking my time with this though- I don't want it to become too much of a burden.

Got past a big 'I hate this project' phase when I finished texturing the base today. I've been avoiding it for ages because there were a lot of seams to patch up and such. It's not perfect, but I'm just glad it's done and I can do the next bits.

I'm not sure how I feel about the tent/parasol/whatever in the corner yet. Thinking I should maybe make the fabric pattern less crazy and also tone down the rips and stuff. I've found I get the look I want from all the rugs and stuff by actually making them a metal rather than non-metal in UE4. It makes all the highlights the same colour of the fabric, rather than white and plasticy. The yellow rug is currently just a mid roughness yellow metallic material, so ignore that for now. I like where it's going though!
  • Carabiner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carabiner greentooth
    Wow, this is looking great! I love the mood, and I especially like how the little circular tiled area turned out on the second floor. I see what you mean about the parasol/tent bit in the corner--I kind of liked it more simple with the stairs in the previous post.
  • MisterSande
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MisterSande polycounter lvl 8
    very solid progress Ayna, I think you have a strong composition in your overall scene. Im curious how you textured (or sculpted) the vases. Keep it up !
  • amirabd2130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    amirabd2130 polycounter lvl 7
    very nice progress.
    really looking forward to see more :thumbup:
  • AnyaElvidge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AnyaElvidge interpolator
    Thanks everyone, your support pushes me to keep it up!

@Carabiner, I tested a plain material on it the other day and preferred that, so I think I'll definitely be re-doing that bit.

@MisterSande, thankyou! The vases were textured exclusively in Photoshop, as was the tiled circle area on the balcony. I used various grunge textures, masks, and filters to grunge up a flat colour hand painted texture. I was going to sculpt it, but I think I'll be getting enough Zbrush with the buildings!

xDDNERY.jpg

There's my hand painted base, some grunge over the top, making it into a height map and then into a roughness by changing the lightness of various layers.
  • MisterSande
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MisterSande polycounter lvl 8
    loving those hand painted tribals Anya :) very useful to see your progress.
  • AnyaElvidge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AnyaElvidge interpolator
    Could people tell me which colours they prefer? Torn between sticking with the original one (above) or switching towards the green.
    11412316_10204566763875128_8074632185877617813_n.jpg?oh=c49f64d7881861ac1d9a0a2c86a2bd7f&oe=561F1C32
  • amirabd2130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the original go with that
  • AnyaElvidge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AnyaElvidge interpolator
    I like the original go with that

Yep, I agree. Thanks for your opinion! :)
  • AnyaElvidge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AnyaElvidge interpolator
    Another update. I've made a start on the walls :) Before I continue making the other two wall meshes that need sculpting, I'm going to texture those cushions properly and maybe make some foliage to climb the cracked walls. Some pipes in the base might be good around now too.

TGeWqh2.jpg
    UTQDdKM.jpg
    rFsFDSL.jpg
    ...ignore the floating straw I just noticed in the last image haa!
  • jhoythottle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jhoythottle polycounter lvl 7
    2008cd51f92f72661ae10523178c8505.jpg

What I like about your original concept is the very defined colors and contrast. In your 3D, it seems you've lost the vibrancy of those blocks of colors. I'm not sure if it's lighting or just the lack of saturation in your textures. The shadows in your render are harsher than your concept. Try to achieve that pastel look through your lighting. Right now your ambient color looks like it's black or something close to it.

You should unbiasedly overlay your render with your final concept and try to color correct until it matches up. Then, use those colors to plug back into your textures and lighting.

Other than that, I think it's looking pretty great. Keep it up!
  • amirabd2130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like how this is progressing
    Agree with jhoythottle about vibrance, but you can probably achieve that with lighting and post process :)
  • KonstantinL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KonstantinL polycounter lvl 6
    This is heading in a great direction! Cant wait to see how it will turn out!
  • AnyaElvidge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AnyaElvidge interpolator
    Helloooo everyone and thankyou for all your wonderful advice, particularly @jhoythottle. Sorry I didn't reply, but I did take your suggestion on board! I tried reducing the saturation of certain textures and increasing others, fiddled with the lighting, fog, post processing, all sorts... to no avail. I just couldn't achieve the effect I have in my concept with my limited UE4 knowledge :( So I gave up, oh dear!

Good news though; the environment is finished! DONE! Now, at some point, I need to make some birds. But I'm taking a break for now to go on holiday and recuperate before university and my life starts up again.

Here are some renders, though I still need to get some technical stuff like textures and wires done at some point. You can see a couple of quick wires I took in UE4 here.

Render_2.jpg?format=2500w

Render_1.jpg?format=2500w

Render_3.jpg?format=2500w

Render_4.jpg?format=2500w

I can't believe it took me this long to get it done, but I'm super pleased with all that I've learned, and I'm glad I have something for my portfolio at the end of it.

Please, feel free to tell me what you think. :) Though I can't guarantee I'll come back to fix stuff any time soon, I need to not look at this for a while!

Thankyou everyone who helped me out with this one, it's been a blast. I'll be back with a new project I'm soon. And I'll update this thread with any birds I make.
  • amirabd2130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This turned out really good Anya. Well done :thumbup:
  • Debasish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Debasish polycounter lvl 4
    really nice work...keep it up
  • AnyaElvidge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AnyaElvidge interpolator
    Thanks both of you! I really appreciate it!

I wouldn't say I'm 100% pleased with it, that's for sure. There's a lot I'll do differently next time. I think I'm mostly proud that I didn't give up halfway though. :P
  • jhoythottle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jhoythottle polycounter lvl 7
    This is a great portfolio piece! Way to push through to the end! Learning from your projects as you go is part of the process. Looking forward to the next one :)

Also, just a thought, a background/skybox other than black might make this pop even more.
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    You did well and even though you're not totally happy you've learnt a lot so you'll be better next time. :)
  • AnyaElvidge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AnyaElvidge interpolator
    Thanks guys :)

I'd love to put it on Marmoset viewer, but since I made it in UE4 I can't be sure it'll work great... and I don't want to really spend the time putting a project into Marmoset when I could just start a new one specifically for it. Looking forward to where my next projects take me!