Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Bears Can't Drift! Game Dev Blog

Replies

• atomander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    atomander polycounter lvl 7
    Maybe have several different types of bears? Would be pretty cool if you got different weight classes for different playable characters!
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    The iterations of the bears are getting better and better.

This third variation is really starting to get somewhere very interesting.

Also this project as a whole speaks to me on a spiritual level. Sub'd.
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AzzaMat polycounter lvl 9
    @atomander, I plan on having eight or so different bears but they will all play exactly the same. The reasoning behind it being I didn't want to have to balance all the variations :P Thanks for the input :D

heboltz3, I'm glad you like the new iteration of bear design. I still need to play around with adding a mouth.
  • mike670
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mike670 polycounter lvl 11
    Love this style! Would totally play this.
  • OriginalAdric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's pretty slick. Really love how you've got the cartoony style working with the PBR system.
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Life complete, I can die happy now I made it onto a polycount recap :P
  • jacob07777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jacob07777 polycounter lvl 14
    Congrats on the recap man! This game looks fantastic :) The camera trick is really cool too, I'll totally be using that at some point haha
  • Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kurt Russell Fan Club polycounter lvl 9
    The new bear is the best. Keep it up :)
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, here is the textured bear. Any crit appreciated. Still not sure about doing the mouth. Will either model it in or swap it out with different emotes :P
    BearTR.png
  • JoelStransky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoelStransky polycounter lvl 4
    That bear is really improved. I really like the whole, "remember to have fun" message your art style has.

I too have been building a game solo for some time now. Very hard to do at lunch and late at night. I have no art to show however as I've been working all the code out first with stand in cubes and such. Do you find that having the art complete sooner hurts or helps such a process?
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    im glad your getting that :P im trying to make the game as fun as possible. Games are so serious now and I just want something I can enjoy with friends. :D

Having the art completed sooner has helped me a lot, but more because it gives me a break from the code (by code I mean blueprint :P coders forgive me). I like jumping between bits and pieces. doing particle effects one day then gameplay then rigging and animation then environment and so on. Because of this, everything has sort of come together at the same time which has helped me really nail down how I want the game to feel. It also means I have stuff to show sooner that looks more impressive on the surface.

One of the biggest benefits of having artwork done sooner is that I can see how it will look once complete. When I had built a lot of the features it didn't look correct until I had done the particles and animations that go with it. So doing all that at the same time was really useful.
  • pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Your new bear is better for sure, but it's missing details, stitches, patches, buttons for eyes, some sort of material/cloth definition.

ToyRush_THUMB.jpg

Little-Big-Planet-Sackboy-on-top-of-the-world.jpg_www.EpicWpp.com_.jpg

voodoo_041803_01.jpg
  • Sweetangel0467
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweetangel0467 polycounter lvl 10
    I'd say, don't go overboard with the textured wool-look. It definitely doesn't fit the whole art style and is too detail heavy if you'd ask me.
    stitches will probably work just fine if you want to go for that :)

Have you thought about making the nose a touch smaller and having the mouth on the extruded piece? (or just no mouth, but a smaller nose)

I've done an overpaint for ya:

Before:
    BearTR.png

After:
    2em3ivb.png
    Added a patch on the back.
    Since this is the side the player will see the most, I thought it would be nice to see something there. What you can also do is add a paper with the name of the contestant or whatever..
    Might be cool to see how the legs deform when it sits in the kart as well. :)

One last small change was on the claws.. I took the tone from it's belly and incorporated it in there so it wouldn't look pure white and feel more like a whole with the rest of the body.
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback on the character! I really like the nose shrinking, will have to do that to mine. As for adding stitching, I think it would feel very Little Big Planet which is something I don't want it to be, especially as they have their own kart racer. Also while I think it looks nice the Bears are supposed to be real bears that are stylised instead of animated stuffed toys :P Thanks for the paint over and ref images. Its great to get feedback :D
  • Sweetangel0467
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hehe, figured as much. No problem :) just doing what I can.
  • JoelStransky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoelStransky polycounter lvl 4
    AzzaMat wrote: »
    im glad your getting that :P im trying to make the game as fun as possible. Games are so serious now and I just want something I can enjoy with friends. :D

Having the art completed sooner has helped me a lot, but more because it gives me a break from the code (by code I mean blueprint :P coders forgive me). I like jumping between bits and pieces. doing particle effects one day then gameplay then rigging and animation then environment and so on. Because of this, everything has sort of come together at the same time which has helped me really nail down how I want the game to feel. It also means I have stuff to show sooner that looks more impressive on the surface.

One of the biggest benefits of having artwork done sooner is that I can see how it will look once complete. When I had built a lot of the features it didn't look correct until I had done the particles and animations that go with it. So doing all that at the same time was really useful.
    Yah that definitely sounds like a fun approach. I decided to get the gameplay working first mostly to prevent the possibility of abandoning the project. I felt like it would be much harder to give up if all I had left to do was art, sound and tweaks. So far that's been true but I'm absolutely DYING to make some art. Soon enough. Keep at it!
  • acarajefferson
    I must say that you got style, lots of cool stuff here!
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HELLOOO, I am sorry I haven't posted on here in a while. I have spent the last 5 days getting Bears Can't Drift working on my PS4 test kit. It was a struggle at first but one of the guys at Epic helped me out and I finally got it up and running! That first moment of the game loading and being able to use a PS4 controller was absolutely incredible! I have always wanted to make something for Playstation and being this close to it is just phenomenal. Anyway enough babbling :P Still working on gameplay, AI is looking really nice now. Got the positioning system working so it really accurately tracks your position on the track. Started work on a stone podium. No textures yet. Let me know what you think! :D
    StonePodium.png
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did a little bit of animation today. Created the opening sequence of the Bear being piped back into the Hub world.Bearpipein.gif
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished texturing the Bear Podium. This will be the place where you can change your character! Still need to add a load of foliage and bits.
    StoneFaceTextured.png
  • CarlCraft
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CarlCraft polycounter lvl 9
    that animation :D so cute! Love the style

I want to go back to the bear though; I really liked the idea of having fur patches (which I assume was on the old bear) that flaps in the wind. Might not be as cartoonish but don't think one should limit oneself too much.

I'm just kind of assuming that was the plan for the planes sticking out of the older bear atleast
  • Sweetangel0467
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You know, I just came to a realization. Why not have ALL the bears in there for the player to choose from?

Only a suggestion though, I know it's not all that easy to animate all of them. :D
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @callebo: Thanks for the crit, I will try adding the fur patches in. Originally I took them out as the art style I was going for was quite minimalist. I did give it a go a few bear designs ago and I couldn't really get them looking right :P

@Sweetangel0467: I'm thinking of including the second from last design I did as another playable character. The older ones don't really fit the theme though. I am planning on using one rig so they will share all the animations and anim blueprint stuff which should make swapping between characters a bit easier.
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bleugh. So many art styles in one piece. Really need to stick to one :P
    LighthouseMess.png
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WindmillRender.png
    Few minor tweaks and the windmill is finished.
  • GreenBeams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GreenBeams polycounter lvl 5
    This is looking great, well done!

and absolutley loving the painting style too =D
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mush happoer with the base of this windmill. Nabbed the windmill texture and reused it :P
    Just need to put in the rotating light! Any critique appreciated as always!
    Lighthouse.png
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    I want to see another video! This looks awesome! :)
  • Kaine123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kaine123 polycounter lvl 10
    AzzaMat wrote: »
    WindmillRender.png
    Few minor tweaks and the windmill is finished.

I'm noticing some seams on the plaster texture that repeats what looks like 3 times on the base of the windmill.
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Tobbo: will post up a new video soon! Looking forward to showing the AI working (though they are still quite uniform :P)

@Kaine123: Thanks, need to fix that! :D
  • Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    I really enjoy this, reminds me of Mario Kart, which I really LOVE.
    Please do a supercute female bear :D (you know, like a pink princess, ha ha ha)

Best of luck!
    Are you planning to do a kickstarter?
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did try to do a kickstarter with the original version but it failed. With the new version I am working on my own so I don't really see the point :P. The big cost was buying the PS4 test kit (and then paying for music). I don't have any form of advertising budget though so I will be interested to see how it does!
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blocked out a new track! NewTrackBlockout.png
  • DanielR17
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DanielR17 polycounter lvl 7
    Hi Arran!

You're doing great, especially considering the fact that you're working alone on everything. The only thing I could possibly comment at this time are the coulds. I find them a bit blocky, square shaped. Something more curvy could add some dimension to your sky.

Keep it up!
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks DanielR17. I will add the sky to my list of things to tweak. Maybe add a few layers of softer cloud and soften the ones I have already down. Thanks for the crit!

Mocked up an easy track. This will be the last forest track I think I will do. After this its onto one of the other themes. Might do Arctic, I want to try out stylised ice and snow!
    Hope everyone had a good new year!
    NewTrack4.png
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome! Love checking this thread from time to time to see your progress, you're kicking major ass!
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got some more work done on the hub world. Still a lot to go. Trying to figure out a nice way of choosing between race modes for each track. At the moment you drive onto the pad. Then pick between three icons.
    Concept__0000_Layer-3.png
    Concept__0001_Layer-2.png
    Concept__0002_Layer-1.png
  • SaboR1996
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaboR1996 polycounter lvl 8
    Bears in karts. 11/10 would play.
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More development on the hub world. Not happy with the waterfalls, so I will need to work on it again.
    HubWorldNew2.png
    HubWorldNew.png
    Started working on the ice shader for the next theme! Updates for that soon :D
  • achillesian
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you Hairy stranger!
    Ice shader WIP
    iceShader.png
  • SaboR1996
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaboR1996 polycounter lvl 8
    Even though your target is PS4, will you bring this to PC? please say yes :D
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeh it got greenlit on steam so it will be out on that as well! :D
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Try making the waterfalls white or at least whiter, blue/darker water makes people think of deeper pools of water.

Also I promise I'll buy it if you put a leather bear outfit in the game.
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crit, I will lighten the waterfall! Also leather bear? need ref :P

Bit of foliage before bed :D
    Foliage1.png
    Foliage2.png
  • felipealves
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipealves polycounter lvl 10
    Really cool thread!

I like your vegetation, but whats going on with those black outlines? Imo you must remove them. Also need to revise your alpha on the last plant.

I really want to play this game man! Keep it going :)
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, the black outline is due to the previewer, it also isn't sorting them correctly. it won't look like that in engine :D
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also started on the snow shader, let me know what you think!:D
    SnowShaderWIP.png
  • Lorex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lorex polycounter lvl 7
    Looks a bit .... furry ?
    But love seeing how the game progresses, superb work overall :poly142: