Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Bears Can't Drift! Game Dev Blog

Replies

• AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AzzaMat polycounter lvl 9
    I have been looking at one of the Overwatch maps. They have a lovely art style and some great assets!

chicken.png
    The chicken item. Its an item blocker that you can put on winning opponents. It stops them from picking up items. When they try to use the item, the chickens will make Bwark noise.

HPStump.psd
    Had a little bit of free time on a train a few days ago so I did this, not sure if it will make it into the game or not. The style doesn't quite match up and the bark is different. Thought I would post it anyway.
  • teho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teho polycounter lvl 7
    keep it up with the good work and congrats with a grant, dreams come true! don't stop!
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    foliage update! Just a few little bits and pieces. Still a lot more to go :D

Small Shrub
    Shrub.png

Sunflowers
    Sunflowers.png

Tulips, closed
    Tulips.png
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More art dumping! Working on the ruins level still. Most of this stuff is still in concept.

Small stone Block
    StoneBlock.png

Paper lantern, glow effect still needs work, only base colour at the moment
    Lantern.png

Modular asset pieces, no texture.
    RuinsUpdate.png

Roof texture, normal and base colour only
    Roof.png
  • DanielR17
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DanielR17 polycounter lvl 7
    Hi,

I really like this new theme. And I will play your game. Keep it up!
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some very WIP assets that I am on at the moment for the ruins and forest scene.
    DragonStatue_001.png

IvyWIP.png
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry I haven't posted in a while, not much that I can really show at the moment. I am working on fixing up the AI and implementing the remaining weapons! Hopefully I will be able to show them all working soon. In the mean time have a button. More news soon!

Thebutton.png
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Giving myself a break from AI and doing some art! Started working on the Bear head again :) Got the low poly done and baked. I will update the sketchfab file with new textures soon. So far just got AO and Normal bake.

[SKETCHFAB]85cb3f246aa243d9867628cfb7f64fd7[/SKETCHFAB]
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have decided to go ahead with early access,so I have been busy prepping Bears Can't Drift!? for that. I used this tool which made things sooo much easier :) and I highly recommend it.
    https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?67565-Steam-Setup-Utility

Also I'm going to be showing Bears Can't Drift!? at Develop! I'm going to be there Wednesday and Thursday this week so come and try out the game! It would be great to meet a few polycounters in person :D
  • proximity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    proximity polycounter lvl 9
    Ill be there cant wait to check this project out :D
  • RashedAlmetrami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RashedAlmetrami polycounter lvl 10
    Develop conference in Brighton?? Oh yes! Looking forward to seeing it then ;)
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It was awesome to see polycounters at Develop. Hope you liked the game :) I'm so close to doing an early access release, its uploading as I type! As a thanks to all of you who have been keeping an eye on the project and giving feedback I will be posting up a few steam keys on here :) stay tuned!
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Early Access page for Bears Can't Drift!? is up! Coming SOOOOON!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/338040/

Having an actual page on steam suddenly makes things very real :P
  • RashedAlmetrami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RashedAlmetrami polycounter lvl 10
  • skodone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skodone polycounter lvl 2
    congrats look forward to get my hands on :D
  • AshuraDX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AshuraDX triangle
    congrats ! been looking forward to this date ;)
  • MingoXMX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MingoXMX vertex
    This is outstanding, great art direction, lovely colors and level design! Can't wait!
  • Freud
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Freud polycounter lvl 8
    Available in 4 days?? OMG, my body is ready!
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bears Can't Drift!? is live :D

http://store.steampowered.com/app/338040/

Still deciding on how to post keys :P I have come up with either
    1. just post them up here
    2. do a polycount scavenger hunt
    3. give them to polycount mods and let them decide :P

Any suggestions welcome :D
  • SittingDucky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SittingDucky polycounter lvl 10
    wonderful, everything!! congrats :)
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also we did a trailer and you can listen to the first piece of music for Bears Can't Drift!?

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK6m_ev4wlA[/ame]
  • AshuraDX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AshuraDX triangle
    oh I just had a bit of fun with this, but I imagine it's way more fun to play with friends
    definitely excited for updates ;) keep it up !
  • Lev216
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome work! Congrats for abolutely clean release (5/5 positive reviews on steam)! Will you add giant panda as a playable character? It would fit perfectly into the chinese theme.
  • skodone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • D4N005H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4N005H polycounter lvl 6
    I liked the design style.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    congrats on getting it out there!
  • felipealves
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipealves polycounter lvl 10
    Congratulations man! You've nailed it :)
  • skodone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woah tried it yesterday :D

so i really love the look and feel but it was quite hard to figure out how
    to do anything with the keyboard since i have no gamepad. :D some smaaall
    screen in the beginning with the keys would've been awesome cus right now all
    the players are left hangin in the air... also some exit mechanics? like esc = pause
    esc in pause = quit... i have to alt+f4 kill the game now...

also after i finished the race vs ai i got into that "in between" level and raced around
    for some seconds, saw that interesting screen and ended up in timetrial race which one cannot escape anymore since hitting "q" will result in respawn and time reset (which is a feature i would love to keep since it really boosts oneself to start over again until you got the last curve in a perfect drift :D) but some exit mechanics again would be cool...

i know that its still super early but ya know more than 10€/$ and you end up in a game that isn't even able to quit or you dont have any idea to shut it down...
    since i think early access is also a great thing for testing a game it would be a good idea to make some super ugly simple ui and navigation to at least make the actual content more accessible for people who want to get a bit deeper into testing and trying the game.

also fullscreeen please i wanna see that world in all its beauty :)

cheers for updates! :D:D
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys :) Sorry I haven't replied sooner, its been a hectic release. I have been sending out a tonne of emails to try and get some press coverage which admittedly hasn't gone to well so far :P. Hopefully it will get picked up soon :)

@Lev216: I am planning on adding a panda into the game :)

@skoodone: Thanks a lot! I have added in the esc key to close the game and a fullscreen button. You can take a look at the update notes for more info :)

I think I have decided on a key giveaway for the Polycount community. I'm going to pick my top ten of the next polycount recap entries and give a key to each!
  • skodone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice!

pity i wont make it into that top ten that soon :D but ive already bought the game anyhow :P

read about the update and look forward to my next rounds :D
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks skodone, your right it really did need that quick escape :P

In the run up to the top ten I thought I would post up a few keys on here as well. Whoever gets it make sure to get some good critique up on the polycount thread :) and if you like it, a recommend on steam would be appreciated (or not recommend if you thinks its shit :P)

I8Y9A-W36ID-FJ7A4
  • darkmag07
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darkmag07 polycounter lvl 12
    Aw yes! I was able to redeem the code. I'll be sure to leave you some feedback in the next few days.
  • solidshark91493
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    solidshark91493 polycounter lvl 6
    Exciting! Id love to try it. Might see about buying it soon.
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all, some more screenshots of the arctic track for arctic hub world. I have tweaked the snow a bit more and I'm pretty happy with it :) let me know what you think!
    HighresScreenshot00000.png
    HighresScreenshot00001.png
    HighresScreenshot00002.png
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I genuinely think this is the most beautiful environment I have ever made.
    ArcticCove.png
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tips for early access.
    So I have learnt a few things while doing early access that I thought you all might be interested in. The big problem with early access is how it displays games. At the moment you can only find Bears Can't Drift!? by searching for it which is murdering my sales unfortunately.

There are four categories for Early Access and I have not been on any of them because I made some poor decisions during release.

I didn't realise at the time but "New and Popular" does not really mean new, it means popular. Unless your game is popular off the bat it has no chance of getting on there.

Not much to say on Top Sellers, fairly self explanatory.

The Coming soon section was another thing I missed. Your game doesn't go into coming soon until you complete the checklist that steam provides and have your store page ready. As a result, Bears Can't Drift!? spent only a few days in the coming soon section before being released when it could have had months of prime real estate space and started gathering a following. If your doing early access, get your page ready ASAP and get on the coming soon section.

Finally the specials section. Definitely give your game a first week discount because that gets you onto the specials section and you need that prime real estate to give your game the best chance at getting onto the new and popular.

I hope this helps anyone thinking of doing early access and make sure you don't make the same mistake as me!

Anyway, enough rambling. Have some screenshots of the Arctic world :) Its starting to come together :)

ArcitcUpdate__0003_Layer-3.png

ArcitcUpdate__0000_Layer-6.png

ArcitcUpdate__0005_Layer-1.png
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gotta love morph targets! Making the bears get fat when they eat food :)

Fatty2.gif
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I did a little prize giveaway of some Bears Can't Drift!? keys to some well deserving polycounters, See here and one of them gave me an excellent suggestion of giving keys for good feedback :D (by good feedback I mean constructive analysis and critique of work, not saying how good it is :P)

So any feedback you have on what I have posted so far, gameplay, artwork etc would be awesome :)

Also I haven't posted artwork in ages!

Here is a new fire particle effect I just finished
    NewFire.gif

and also some gameplay gifs I did for Pixel Prospector
    ForestGif.gif
    ArcticGif.gif

I also upgraded the project a while back which meant I needed to redo all the PS4 stuff which after several very long days and hair pulling I am now back up and running on the PS4! It turned out I had one normal map which was corrupted some how :P
    Lastly I'm doing a load of work on the ruins hub world, will post some screenshots later!
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Bah this is looking awesome!!!!
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Changed the road markings to help tell the player where they should be going :P Not doing any of that going wrong way rubbish :P
    RoadChevrons.png
  • STRIKER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    STRIKER polycounter lvl 13
    This is looking rad! and thanks for the key <3 The one piece of feedback that i have is the snow level snowflakes on the ground. They felt very out of place when i was playing the level. Maybe making them more of a clump(s) of snow on the ground instead of the planes? beside that it looks great, especially the ice :D
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @STRIKER: They kind of hover as well so I do need to work on making them feel more like part of the floor :) thanks for the feedback

Made a slight adjustment to the hub worlds so now they each have a unique sky hue.
    ArcticHue.png

Also doing a lot of work on the UI which I hate but has to be done
    UIUpdate.png
    UI2.png

and lots of work on the Ruins Hub world!
    RuinRoofNew.png
    RuinUpdate4.png
    RuinUpdate3.png

Also if you are going to EGX in Birmingham be sure to come to the booth and say hi :)
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh also I have been doing a bit of work on the central monitoring station :)
    ScifiSection.png
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started working on a stylized lava shader for one of the environments. Yeah that's right, ALL THE CLICHES!!!!!! Let me know what you think!

LavaGif.gif

Also thanks to all the polycounters at EGX who came over and said hi, it was awesome to meet you! :D
  • oxygencube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oxygencube polycounter lvl 8
    Love that lava shader!
  • DanielR17
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DanielR17 polycounter lvl 7
    Hey,
    A quick feedback: I bought the game and played it for half an hour. The gameplay is fun and very easy. Great lighting and materials (the road in particular). I'm going to try all the tracks / worlds! Thanks!
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

More work on textures!

Wood Cabin
    WoodBark.png

Stone floor
    RockFloor.png

Lava
    Lava.png
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Screenshot Dump!

_0007_ForestTrack6.png
    _0007_ForestTrack6.png
    _0006_ForestTrack7.png
    _0005_ForestTrack8.png
    _0004_ForestTrack9.png
    _0008_ForestTrack5.png
    _0009_ForestTrack4.png
    _0010_ForestTrack3.png
    _0011_ArcticHub2.png
    _0015_ArcticTrack2.png
    _0014_MonitoriingStation.png
    _0013_DifficultySelect.png
    _0012_ArcticHub1.png
    _0016_ArcticTrack1.png
    _0018_ForestHubWorld1.png
    _0019_ForestTrack1.png

This is pretty much where I am with the game at the moment :P All of the game mechanics are now in. Left on the to do list is

Primary List
    5 Characters (sharing the same skeleton)
    6 Tracks (Asset population)
    Difficulty optimisation

Secondary
    Tweaks to audio (mainly kart sfx and weapons)
    Ai for Picnic game mode
    Optimise save data for Picnic and Timetrial

Aiming to release on PS4 and PC Decemeber 2015..
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowyRock_f.png

Snowy rock texture for the arctic environment. This is about the 8th attempt at this texture now, I think I have finally found something I am happy with :P