Home General Discussion

Bluray Player / movies - Pixelation problems

mod
Hey all. My family just picked up a new Samsung 55" SMART tv, with a samsung bluray player. Before this, we were using old shitty "HD" tube tvs, so when we plugged it all in, and threw in the extended Avatar bluray, we were blown away, to say the least. Great colour. Great clearity. Only problem is I've been noticing some pixelation, and Im not sure if its our tv, or bluray player, or if its normal. I usually see it during fast movements, but only on the fast moving objects, not the whole screen. I first noticed it on the distance shots of the banshees, in the wings. With all the movement with the air going over the wing and making them move, the pixels did this pixelation / shimmering type thing. But only at distance.

My dad thought it was just the bluray, but, he didnt even notice it to begin with, since he doesnt have an eye for that stuff. Ive seen it on every movie ive watched so far. Third bluray in, our bluray player started making really weird noises. like the motor was struggling or something, which it wasnt doing the first couple. So i thought maybe it was the bluray player. Switched to my ps3, and still saw it.

So, do other people notice this? Is it normal? Is it my tv? Im new to the world of super clear tvs, sooo.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Hmm, even on the PS3? That's unusual, maybe the cable?
  • slipsius
    brand new HDMI cable.

I think it might be the tv settings. after looking into it. I think its the beefed up Hz. "Auto Motion Plus" I think the setting is called. Ill have to take a look when i get home
  • R3D
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    Well you are stretching around 2 million pixels across a 55inch screen. The pixels would be huge.

Plus very few PS3 games play at a non-upscaled 1080p
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    slipsius wrote: »
    brand new HDMI cable.

I think it might be the tv settings. after looking into it. I think its the beefed up Hz. "Auto Motion Plus" I think the setting is called. Ill have to take a look when i get home

Yeah any 'feature' like that that TV's have these days in order to get sold, just turn em off.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    There are a lot of tricks TVs try to do from the factory, that often fool people, like your parents, who are more in awe of the TV size. Go through some of the TV settings, and turn off auto-anything. Make sure it's not in 'movie' mode too. Then slowly turn things back on.

You may want to google your exact model number, with pixelation, and see if someone else has this issue (and a solution). Maybe try this site: http://www.tweaktv.com/tweak-my-tv/ and see what they recommend. I've never used the site, but it looks like a good resource for settings.

Also remember, large TVs are meant to be viewed at a distance. I don't like my TV's picture when I stand right in front of it, but across the room, it looks great.
  • PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    yea I hate that motion smoothing stuff, once you start to notice how it smooths people movements in strange ways to get the framerate higher I find I cant help but be constantly distracted by it. really annoying.
  • R3D
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    yea I hate that motion smoothing stuff, once you start to notice how it smooths people movements in strange ways to get the framerate higher I find I cant help but be constantly distracted by it. really annoying.
    On TVs with really high refresh rates they have to add in motion blur or people will feel sick.
  • Noodle!
    Offline / Send Message
    Noodle! polycounter lvl 8
    Usually movie enthusiast forums (or audio / video enthusiast) have guides for TV's to get the most out of them, that often includes turning things like dynamic contrast and auto smoothing off.
    It could be that one of the "features" of the TV is causing it. Try finding a thread about it on a forum like that.