Home Dota 2

BANG!'s workshop

Hello Polycounters!

I am giving a try at Dota 2 items, working on a set for Shadow Shaman from a concept created by Fudgie Wudgie with the Chinese new Year theme for the Spring 2014 event.

This is my first models for Dota 2 so I have some questions.

98d66a2ec4.png

Here's some wip base mesh, still blocking things out and then cleaning up the topology, I often rework the topology further if I make changes while doing the high poly sculpt anyways.

ded11ba051.jpg

ead43c9ec0.jpg

1013d21b42.jpg

1- About getting furry-spike for the silhouette, is this too sharp or too much detail?
Will this render well with the normal map in Dota 2 to get some furry spikes or should I avoid this kind of sharp spikes in the topology?
I might not have enough triangles left to smooth these out, so what's the best solution, flatten it and rely on diffuse/normal map? (I'll be using ZB and baking with Xnormal)

2- Do I need to close the mesh for the faces that won't be visible? for instance the faces uner the coat? I could save some triangles by not having faces underneath.

3- Does Dota 2 support symetric/mirrored normal maps? if not is there a way to have symmetric UVs to get more detail or should I stick with no symmetry UVs tricks?

4- Unfortunately Shadow Shaman doesn't really have a slot for the upper body coat, so I'll have to cut down some details on the upper body coat, like the pearls (not enough tris), do you think baking some of the pearls into the diffuse/normal map would work well enough?

C&C welcome, thanks!

Replies