Home Technical Talk

Marmoset Toolbag 1.10 Official support thread

Replies

• Xenier
    can anyone tell me how to get cubemap reflections to show up on metal?
  • EarthQuake
    stevston89 wrote: »
    I am having an issue with clipping. No matter how much I scale the model or adjust the feild of view the clipping will not go away, however if there are no placed light in the scene the clipping goes away. Has anyone else run in to this? Its has become really frustrating.... Here is a screen.
    KJ4bD7p.jpg?1

Unfortunately there isn't an work around for z-fighting at the moment. You can do a few things with your model to improve it, like creating solid continuous watertight meshes as apposed to intersecting meshes that overlap very close to the mesh below it (like the straps on the hands there, I would probably merge those pieces together in the lowpoly). Not really anything you can do about the eyes, perhaps set them back a tiny bit further.

What video card are you using btw?
  • EarthQuake
    fozdar3d wrote: »
    Hey, posting here because I'm troubleshooting an issue I'm seeing on my model in marmoset. The issue manifests when I load in my normal map.
    Nfa1WrM.jpg

I've checked my that area of the normals and I can't find anything that would cause this type of sharp cut.
    wZBSnCe.jpg
    I can't see the issue when I load my normals in 3DS Max.

Can you post a screenshot from max of what it should look like? Its hard to tell exactly what your issue is here, it look like the uvs may be incorrect on that bit?
  • EarthQuake
    Xenier wrote: »
    can anyone tell me how to get cubemap reflections to show up on metal?

Take a look at these tutorials:
    http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/materials
    and
    http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/lighting
  • EarthQuake
    Kaine123 wrote: »
    Is it possible to set my own custom keyboard shortcuts?

Unfortunately there is no shortcut editor, however, if you browse to MarmosetToolbag/base/interface you will find a file called toolControls.cfg that you can open and edit in any text editor.
  • josebraz
    Offline / Send Message
    josebraz polycounter lvl 6
    teho wrote: »
    hi all!
    i have a problem in previewing my meshes... exported as .obj with standard settings from max 2013 except materials.
    normals are ok too. a long time ago i already had the same problem, but forgot how i did solved it.
    thanks for the help.
    eTLISsV.jpg

Try selecting "Triangles" inside Faces rollout when exporting OBJ
  • josebraz
    Offline / Send Message
    josebraz polycounter lvl 6
    Hi guys! cant figure out where these white faces came from... I've already checked vertexes and face normals....everything looks perfect inside max. It only happens when I bring the model inside marmoset.

Any ideas?

Really apreciate any help you can provide.

eitLDTC.jpg
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Those face errors can come from bad UVs or n-gons.
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    stevston89 wrote: »
    I am having an issue with clipping. No matter how much I scale the model or adjust the feild of view the clipping will not go away, however if there are no placed light in the scene the clipping goes away. Has anyone else run in to this? Its has become really frustrating.... Here is a screen.
    KJ4bD7p.jpg?1
    I've been having this kind of problem since i'm using an ATI video card,
    Dunno if this could be the issue for you too?
  • tharmine
    Hi all,

I have the trial version 1.10, but it does not work with my Oculus Rift. When I enable it in the render panel, the screen goes all black...
    Any idea how to fix this? I was really exited to try my rift with Marmoset :(
    cheers
  • 3Dyan
    Offline / Send Message
    3Dyan polycounter lvl 13
    Is there any chance a separate slot for gloss maps will be implemented in the next update? This could solve a lot of inconveniences.
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
  • 3Dyan
    Offline / Send Message
    3Dyan polycounter lvl 13
    Bek wrote: »
    ^ You might want to have a browse through this thread:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115236&page=7

Thanks. I came across that one earlier but didn't wish to bump it after so long. I saw that many requested this change but sadly it wasn't implemented in 1.10. That's why I inquired about a possible incorporation into the next release.
  • EarthQuake
    3Dyan wrote: »
    Thanks. I came across that one earlier but didn't wish to bump it after so long. I saw that many requested this change but sadly it wasn't implemented in 1.10. That's why I inquired about a possible incorporation into the next release.

Gloss in a separate texture is one of many new features that will be added to Toolbag 2.0. Please feel free to bump that thread if there is anything else you would like to see in future versions.
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    tharmine wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have the trial version 1.10, but it does not work with my Oculus Rift. When I enable it in the render panel, the screen goes all black...
    Any idea how to fix this? I was really exited to try my rift with Marmoset :(
    cheers

have you tried turning off all post processing? before doing that the scene was rendering way too dark as soon as the rift was enabled.
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    1375306122-mamoset_110_shadows.jpg

I'm experiencing some issue with the cascade shadow maps in the 1.10 version. Is that a driver issue ? I didn't have any problem under the 1.09 before.

My specs :
    -Windows 7 x64
    -nVidia GTX 660 with drivers version 320.49
  • mobkon
    Offline / Send Message
    mobkon polycounter lvl 6
    Hey all-

Trying to import my mesh from Maya into Marmoset. I'm getting weird missing faces. I've converted everything to tris in Maya, yet I'm still getting some weird missing faces on some of my geo as well as darker colored faces on some parts of my mesh as well. Driving me crazy...

Any help would be awesome. Thank you
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    What format are you using? From Maya, OBJ always seems to work best for me. With FBX sometimes I get errors like that, and I have no idea why.
  • mobkon
    Offline / Send Message
    mobkon polycounter lvl 6
    Joopson wrote: »
    What format are you using? From Maya, OBJ always seems to work best for me. With FBX sometimes I get errors like that, and I have no idea why.

I've tried both...same issue with both.
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Are you sure the normals are all facing the correct direction? And are there UVs?
  • davidonabus
    Hey Folks. I'm hoping someone can help me understand what's going on here.

In this first image, I've thrown a white 255, 255, 255 solid into the alpha (roughness).

8el7OWA.jpg

In this second image, I've decided that I don't like how focused the specular reflection is, so I've broadened the specular by adjusting the top end of the specular sharpness slider. I still have the same white (255, 255, 255) plugged into the alpha of the spec/roughness map. My understanding is that I can effectively change the luminance value of what I have plugged into my alpha channel my dropping the specular sharpness below 256. As you can see I've lowered it to a value of 20 in this example.

0IoF3gA.jpg

I have now committed to a value of (20,20,20) in the alpha channel of spec/roughness map.. and re-expanded the range to the full 0-255 in the specular sharpness slider. What I expected to see was the same specular reflection in both the second and third image, but, that's not the case. Can someone explain to me the correlation between the 0-255 slider values and how that relates to actual lumminance values in my texture?

O3sfOrM.jpg

Thanks a ton!
  • mobkon
    Offline / Send Message
    mobkon polycounter lvl 6
    Joopson wrote: »
    Are you sure the normals are all facing the correct direction? And are there UVs?

The normals fixed the dark faces issues (though I swore I checked that before I exported...) but the normals are fine for the pieces with missing faces. The pieces with missing faces are duplicates of other pieces that show up totally fine.

And please forgive my ignorance...why wouldn't there be UVs? How would I even check that in Marmoset?
  • EarthQuake
    Hey Folks. I'm hoping someone can help me understand what's going on here.

In this first image, I've thrown a white 255, 255, 255 solid into the alpha (roughness).

8el7OWA.jpg

In this second image, I've decided that I don't like how focused the specular reflection is, so I've broadened the specular by adjusting the top end of the specular sharpness slider. I still have the same white (255, 255, 255) plugged into the alpha of the spec/roughness map. My understanding is that I can effectively change the luminance value of what I have plugged into my alpha channel my dropping the specular sharpness below 256. As you can see I've lowered it to a value of 20 in this example.

0IoF3gA.jpg

I have now committed to a value of (20,20,20) in the alpha channel of spec/roughness map.. and re-expanded the range to the full 0-255 in the specular sharpness slider. What I expected to see was the same specular reflection in both the second and third image, but, that's not the case. Can someone explain to me the correlation between the 0-255 slider values and how that relates to actual lumminance values in my texture?

O3sfOrM.jpg

Thanks a ton!

Unfortunately the gloss intensity is not linear, so the values do not match up 1:1 like that (its merely a coincidence that the max shader value is 256). So you're just going to have to eyeball it, sorry!
  • EarthQuake
    mobkon wrote: »
    Hey all-

Trying to import my mesh from Maya into Marmoset. I'm getting weird missing faces. I've converted everything to tris in Maya, yet I'm still getting some weird missing faces on some of my geo as well as darker colored faces on some parts of my mesh as well. Driving me crazy...

Any help would be awesome. Thank you

First off, make sure your UV map is correctly set up. All faces must have corresponding UV faces. Make sure you don't have an extra uv map with garbage data hanging around, as that may be the uv channel that is saved on export (so delete any extra/unused uv channels).

If that doesn't help, please send an email describing your problem and the source files to support@marmoset.co or earthqke@marmoset.co if you want to send it to me directly.
  • EarthQuake
    Froyok wrote: »
    1375306122-mamoset_110_shadows.jpg

I'm experiencing some issue with the cascade shadow maps in the 1.10 version. Is that a driver issue ? I didn't have any problem under the 1.09 before.

My specs :
    -Windows 7 x64
    -nVidia GTX 660 with drivers version 320.49

This may be a shot in the dark but: are your uvs mirrored?

If your uvs are mirrored, make sure to offset the mirrored side 1 unit in the uvs. I've seen similar artifacts like this from not offsetting uvs so maybe that will help.

If that doesn't help, is this something that happens on every mesh or just this mesh?
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    This may be a shot in the dark but: are your uvs mirrored?

If your uvs are mirrored, make sure to offset the mirrored side 1 unit in the uvs. I've seen similar artifacts like this from not offsetting uvs so maybe that will help.

If that doesn't help, is this something that happens on every mesh or just this mesh?

No mirrored UVs, it happens on other mesh too. This also happens when no normal maps are loaded. This easily visible with the "Pavement" sky preset.
    (I load most of the time obj files, not FBX.)
  • 3Dyan
    Offline / Send Message
    3Dyan polycounter lvl 13
    Hey guys, hope you can help me with this one.
    I have a major issue using opacity maps.
    First of all, I put the map in the diffuse alpha and set the blend mode to alpha just as instructed, but the results are strange.
    It seems that some faces behind the ones who are transparent completely disappear when viewed through the transparent faces.

Example attached.

How can I avoid this?
  • dur23
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    EQ: Have you had issues with Maya's "Angle and Area Weighted Normals" and marmoset? Baking normal maps with AAW normals seems to yield some messed up results. This used to go so smoothly.
  • dur23
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    So far the best results i've had is setting normals to unweighted to do my baking. Is this normal?
  • dur23
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    Image%202013-08-16%20at%205.21.12%20PM.png

all of the sudden this is a common occurence
  • GenericGoodGuy
    I'm not sure what the name of this problem is..so I'm having trouble finding an answer. I wanted to render my unfinished model to see how it looks but when I import it into marmo as an OBJ file it goes all bleh. example below

oubbINf.jpg

It stands at 40-50k tris no textures or uvs. It's all separate pieces, I'll try attaching them all tomorrow and trying again.
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    It needs UV's. Just give it a quick projection, if you're not applying any textures doesn't matter if they're the worst UV's out.
  • GenericGoodGuy
    Bek wrote: »
    It needs UV's. Just give it a quick projection, if you're not applying any textures doesn't matter if they're the worst UV's out.

Ah that worked, simple as that. Thanks.
  • EarthQuake
    dur23 wrote: »
    So far the best results i've had is setting normals to unweighted to do my baking. Is this normal?

Yeah, turn off the weighted normals thing, its really weird that they enabled that by default (and it even breaks some compatibility inside Maya).
    dur23 wrote: »
    Image%202013-08-16%20at%205.21.12%20PM.png

all of the sudden this is a common occurence

This is a simple triangulation issue, the problem is that Maya thinks a quad will triangulate on way, and Toolbag thinks it should go the opposite way.

What you can do to avoid this is:
    1. Lock your mesh normals
    2. Triangulate mesh
    3. Export like normal

You need to lock your mesh normals otherwise they will change when triangulating. You can also triangulate before baking, but it really shouldn't be necessary.
  • mobkon
    Offline / Send Message
    mobkon polycounter lvl 6
    Still cant get my problem fixed. I have tried UVing multiple different ways, deleting history, and no luck. Here are some photos. Missing faces on pieces. Weird thing is, the back face shows on some pieces, but when you rotate, its the opposite almost as if 'Double Sided' was unchecked and 'Opposite' was checked in Render Stats on the geo, Im getting those same results. Heres some screenshots...

robot_betterside_zps71072f2e.jpg
    robot_badside_zps3a76e350.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Still cant get my problem fixed. I have tried UVing multiple different ways, deleting history, and no luck. Here are some photos. Missing faces on pieces. Weird thing is, the back face shows on some pieces, but when you rotate, its the opposite almost as if 'Double Sided' was unchecked and 'Opposite' was checked in Render Stats on the geo, Im getting those same results. Heres some screenshots...

robot_betterside_zps71072f2e.jpg
    robot_badside_zps3a76e350.jpg

Yeah it looks like your normals are flipped (those sections of the model are inside out). Disable double sided lighting in Maya (its on by default) and you should see the exact same thing. Then just flip those mesh chunks. This probably has something to do with mirroring the mesh chunks or using symmetry or whatever the equivalent is in maya.
  • mobkon
    Offline / Send Message
    mobkon polycounter lvl 6
    Yeah it looks like your normals are flipped (those sections of the model are inside out). Disable double sided lighting in Maya (its on by default) and you should see the exact same thing. Then just flip those mesh chunks. This probably has something to do with mirroring the mesh chunks or using symmetry or whatever the equivalent is in maya.

This solved it. Thank you a ton! I did do a bunch of duplicating and scaling in negative, so thats why this problem came up. Thanks again!
  • mobkon
    Offline / Send Message
    mobkon polycounter lvl 6
    Hmm, though my model is fixed and has all faces now, some of the shading on the pieces that were fixed is now a little funky. Some pieces are darker (the ones that I reversed the normals) but when rotated to the other side are lighter than the other pieces.
  • EarthQuake
    Hmm, though my model is fixed and has all faces now, some of the shading on the pieces that were fixed is now a little funky. Some pieces are darker (the ones that I reversed the normals) but when rotated to the other side are lighter than the other pieces.

This is likely another Maya specific issue. You may need to unlock normals on those sections and set up your smoothing again.

Post some images if that doesn't help.
  • mobkon
    Offline / Send Message
    mobkon polycounter lvl 6
    This is likely another Maya specific issue. You may need to unlock normals on those sections and set up your smoothing again.

Post some images if that doesn't help.

Nope, couldnt get that to work. Selected the problem pieces, selected Unlock Normals and no dice.

robot_normalprob_zps1a156080.jpg
  • CognizanCe
    Offline / Send Message
    CognizanCe polycounter lvl 10
    Questions about the skytool, or making seamless panoramas in general:

I know how to create HDR Panoramas for image based lighting, but
    1: How do you capture the sky and floor so they don't pinch?

I shoot my panoramas in landscape mode.
    2: Will shooting them in portrait mode eliminate the pinching problem?

3: I use a Nikor 35-105mm lens. Is it essential to use a wide angle lens (I read 10-18mm is common for 360 panoramas) so the floor and sky are seamless/no pinching?

4: Will a panorama head for my tripod ensure there's no seams if I use my 35-105mm lens?

EDIT:
    The reason I'm asking about seamless-ness is because I want to render characters near or on the floor, or at least not have the floor or sky look distorted.
  • tharmine
    thomasp wrote: »
    have you tried turning off all post processing? before doing that the scene was rendering way too dark as soon as the rift was enabled.

Hi, thanks for the tip but it does not work.
    The scene is not just dark, it turn black. Nothing is there, except for the mouse cursor.
    Maybe it's the graphic card, but I have no problem displaying other Occulus content.

I am the only one experiencing that problem?
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    could well be your graphics card driver. i was running some nvidia 560 with a semi-recent driver with it.

the implementation of the oculus rift in marmoset is something that would need another look anyway. it only renders to the rift as long as that is detected as a second monitor. if you use a multi-screen-setup like many developers and have the oculus rift hanging off a splitter, mirroring the content of one of your main monitors, it will not work with marmoset.

also the navigation scheme/camera do not really work in rift-mode. kinda cool for a little play-around but annoying to use on a more regular basis.

it was also displaying a lot of flickering in my setup (perhaps a sync-problem?) and post-processing degraded the image.
  • tharmine
    I am using a laptop for the Occulus, because as you said with multiple screen it is a problem to connect the Occulus to my desktop.
    My graphic setting where to mirror the content on both screen (monitor and rift).
    I just wanted to be able to see our models in glorious 3d, that's all.
    Thank you for your input
  • Roepetoepa
    Offline / Send Message
    Roepetoepa polycounter lvl 12
    Hi guys,

I seem to be having some problems with the size of the shadowmaps when I use spotlight shadows.
    The castshadows look very pixelated and I can't seem to find any other fix than to just set the light to a really small angle and duplicate it a few times.
    However when I look at the lighting tutorials marmoset provides on their website it shows that the artist is only using 1 light and has really sharp castshadows and no pixelation: http://www.marmoset.co/wp-content/uploads/mtbl_top_1.jpg.

If I take this aproach I get this result: 2013-08-29_22-16-38.jpg
    As you can see theres lot of pixelation in the neck area and under the flap of the jacket.
    Changing the radius or the sharpness of the light and changing the scale of the mesh does not help either.

I also tried "set render.shadows.res 4096" and hit enter but this command does not seem to work anymore.

My graphics card is an nvidea gtx 770

I really hope someone is able to help me
    Kind regards
  • WNunes27
    Hi, I bought marmoset about a year ago. Its always worked great and been a go to in my creation process yet recently it crashed and now every time I open marmoset it crashes before it can even load up. I have tried uninstalling it and re-installing it and updating my drivers without any success. I've read a bit on the forums but am having a hard time figuring out the problem. Do you have any advice on how to get marmoset up and running again?
  • Kbrom12
    Offline / Send Message
    Kbrom12 polycounter lvl 8
    Roepetoepa wrote: »
    I also tried "set render.shadows.res 4096" and hit enter but this command does not seem to work anymore.

I came here to ask the same exact question to find you did as well, hopefully EQ or someone can chime in and let us know if that command doesn't work anymore or if they changed it. I'm on GTX 560's if it helps

Thanks!
  • metalliandy
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
    Kbrom12 wrote: »
    I came here to ask the same exact question to find you did as well, hopefully EQ or someone can chime in and let us know if that command doesn't work anymore or if they changed it. I'm on GTX 560's if it helps

Thanks!
    Marmoset should max out your shadows based on the power of your GPU, so you should already be getting the best looking shadows that you can currently.

Hope that helps!
  • EarthQuake
    WNunes27 wrote: »
    Hi, I bought marmoset about a year ago. Its always worked great and been a go to in my creation process yet recently it crashed and now every time I open marmoset it crashes before it can even load up. I have tried uninstalling it and re-installing it and updating my drivers without any success. I've read a bit on the forums but am having a hard time figuring out the problem. Do you have any advice on how to get marmoset up and running again?

Hi, please contact support@marmoset.co if you have not already.
  • EarthQuake
    Marmoset should max out your shadows based on the power of your GPU, so you should already be getting the best looking shadows that you can currently.

Hope that helps!

Yes this is correct. Unfortunately there are no settings or options you can change to get higher quality shadows in TB1. The old console command does not work anymore as by default Toolbag uses the highest shadowmap res that your videocard can handle. You'll just have to tweak your light setup until you find something that works, sorry!