Home Technical Talk

Mismatch between texture and sampler type!

quad damage
Offline / Send Message
Joopson quad damage
Getting this issue all of a sudden. This message is basically looping, making the window impossible to close, which makes fixing the issue a lot more confusing. I can't find much about fixing it online.
Any ideas?

AZnS10d.jpg

Every time I adjust the texture type dropdown to accomodate what it is telling me to do, it spits out an error that tells me the way it was before was right. Meanwhile, losing all my work since the last time I saved, and also requiring me to end the process and restart. Huge pain. What am I doing wrong?

Replies

• e-freak
    can't reproduce it on my machine, but did you make sure that the material is not read-only and your changes are actually saved? also, all texture slots should always stay 2D, even the environment map slots.

in general, you don't need to assign an environment map to the materials at all, they should just pick up the nearest cubemap by default.

also: did you generate those cubemaps in the same build as the materials or did you switch builds inbetween? might help to have the environment probes to regenerate those textures.
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Thanks e-freak.

Hm, interesting; I'll make sure they're all set to 2D. I haven't noticed if they pick up the nearest cubemap without me assigning one, but I'll check it out. It'd certainly make things a lot easier.

The Cubemaps were generated in the same build as the materials.

[EDIT:] Just checked, and all the materials, as far as I can tell, have "Environment" TexType set to 2D. And I'm still getting this error, even for materials I'm sure of.
    I also tried removing the map name, but the material isn't picking up the nearest cubemap. Probably doing something wrong, but I'm not sure. I'll look in the documentation on Environment maps.
  • Shinanigans
    Heya, as the error message (maybe not so clearly) states, you're attempting to use a 2D texture but it wants a 6-sided Cubed texture. Use a 6 sided texture, or better yet, use environment probes.
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Ah, but I was using environment probes, generated right in CryEngine.

And to make things weirder, the errors stopped altogether, for no apparent reason. Of course, I'm not complaining.