Home Contests & Challenges Archives Arms & Armor, Chivalry: Medieval Workshop

[Chivalry] - Mason Vanguard - Honor's Guard

mod
Hi guys! Been meaning to get this going. Started a helmet for the Knight class right after the contest started but haven't made much more progress on that one since.

I've joined the Pior bandwagon as far as item inspiration goes, and this thread will be for my Vanguard items.

Here are the two bad boys -
PmdXMPvOM41zzW4bm7LgfcqSxXUFILcr

and the progress so far:
KE8KBq2KpnKnxeihckbQ2YVrEIlmCUXG

Thanks for looking !

Replies

• Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    That is a damn aggressive shape, cool design!
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    Looks dope! That helmet is one of the best shapes I've seen, spear is pretty cool too. Looking forward to it!
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Thanks guys!

Wanted to pop in with an update. the spear sculpt is 90% done and the low poly is done and unwrapped, and I'm getting started on sculpting the helm in a minute. Everything is going to be coming together over the next couple days now that I have some time.

pictures !

4AI0iZ9blU4jYuNfZb08An7uTVPnUNp7

chiv_helm_vanguard_01.png

you'll notice with the spear that I had to elongate it quite significantly, this was in order to match the base spear's proportions. We didn't realize it was such a stark difference haha. Makes me a little sad considering I really liked the concept's proportions. either way!
  • Jalcober
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jalcober polycounter lvl 10
    Can't wait to see how the head item shapes up!
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Another update on the helm. Not much time left, yikes! Updates are going to be fast and furious over the next two days haha. Dammit, smash brothers!

xP66xBpafTn0yZsO

about to do a damage pass on this. The damn bottom side pattern gave me so much grief, trying different ways to do it and failing gloriously in the process.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Yes ! Well done man :)
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Thank you sir!

One more update for tonight... was hoping to finish the LP and unwrap but I just got called to do more work for my other project.. time is running super short for chivalry :(((

2hFqUzytc2jQsvmi

thanks for looking!!
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    ok! one more update, now that I got my other obligations out of the way I'm able to continue this. Added seams and bolts to help the idea of this thing being constructed.

min2zkqVxMjvOuJd

starting the low poly now! lets keep this party going.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very cool - the suggested construction lines are totally believable. Well done !
    Also, update on the bucket engravings. We just had to :)

bounch_top_engraving-small_zpsf2f7b27f.jpg~original
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Thank you sir! Game mesh is made and unwrapped, gonna play around with adding engravings that pior was kind enough to supply - I will most likely make two variations. One with the nods to PC and torn banner, and another that's without just in case.

mYOAsELKqX7pCGn8
  • Uzziel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uzziel polycounter lvl 7
    Nice, keep it up!
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Thanks Uzziel!

I'm heading to bed now but I wanted to drop one more update. I got the spear in game and ready to texture tomorrow morning. Tomorrow is going to be crazy as I need to texture three items and still have yet to bake the helmet. Should be a fun day, hah. I kept thinking the deadline was Monday night.. not tomorrow night... YIKES. :(

In game spear! placeholder diffuse:
    U1FjUGlsXBdDCGKt

thank you for looking!
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    You got this dude! :) Looks cool
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    thank you Shiv!

ok, small update before the crunch continues. had some big scale and normal issues we had to work through. The scale issue I had before, with the MAA wep? Basically reversed, this time it was too small.. so to fix it, I had to undo the original changes I made to make the other work. Not sure what triggered it but dang was it strange.

Some normal issues were thanks to my older copy of maya not having an edge/faces normal function to have handplane work at its best, so I was getting really strange results baking from handplane onto the mesh I had. Pior was kind enough to use his copy of LT to check the setting I needed, the normal looks great now, and it's so weird to think that a setting so small could make all the difference.

Even stranger is issues I was having with hard edges. I would import my SM but all the smoothing would be gone ! but the Skeletal mesh was perfect. Another weird confusion, not sure what causes it at this point and I don't really have time to investigate unfortunately. I will say that unlocking normals and re-assigning them worked fine, but since I didnt have the setting in my Maya it wasnt an option for me there, so he exported the static mesh from his end.

anyway anyway, images!

first scale issue... what!?
    Z6lQnVkZPozlHfZB

getting closer.. but invereted inches/cm!
    PjB9ViUGYTWgciRV

there we go!:
    SYIsTi3K6Yhegit1

p9JA1wjxWJ0kDUzp

textures coming up next !

thank you for stopping by!
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    another bump! in game with some textures, time to bop back over to the spear

vsPkHZG18XiHKHEy
  • Nolt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nolt polycounter lvl 13
    Very sturdy helmet! Good job :)
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Thank you sir!! much appreciated.

Another quick update... hoping to start blood mask in ~10 minutes after tweaking the grip color a little:

Mf2cJ27WGrYRfskc
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    Damn :) those look amazing man and you are a monster :) good luck.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Thank you disanski!

I can do this I can do this chugachuga chuga chuga

HAVE SOME BLOOOOOOD:
    hb3Xjne70X1hAH0W
    XelhBZ7AoB3NMOVo

thanks for lookin!!
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    submitted, workshop link here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=323100731

my internet dying 3 times within the final hour made this quite an adventure.. including in the last 10 minutes :x. arg! But it's all in, and I'm actually really happy with the result.

h2_concept_sheet.jpg
    HonorsGuard_Helm_Construction.png
    HonorsGuard_Helm_Presentation.png
    HonorsGuard_Helm_Textures.png

HonorsGuard_Spear_Construction.png
    HonorsGuard_Spear_Presentation.png
    HonorsGuard_Spear_Textures.png

Thanks again for looking, I hope you guys had as much fun as I did. (minus the outages... AT&T!!!!)
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    Awww yisssssss, that sweeeeeet catharsis. Also, you can use the diffuse texture as a mural.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Yeah that was... totally intentional. The helm diffuse totally looks like two knights facing each other, both wearing the helmet they are the texture of. Textureception. Extra points? :D<3
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    made another for blood!

HonorsGuard_Spear_BloodMask.png

and figured out how to pose em in game thanks to the recent thread that was made. The levels vary so wildly in lighting though its crazy trying to decide which to take and where, so many variables! UDK Does this really weird thing though where your textures will start mipping and you have to double click them in the asset browser again to fully load. dangit.

I took a bunch more screens while I was in there:
    spear_game_01.jpg
    honors_guard_vignette_01.jpg
    honors_guard_vignette_02.jpg
    honors_guard_set_01.jpg
    honors_guard_set_02.jpg
  • Nolt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nolt polycounter lvl 13
    Great job on that. Best of luck to you :)
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Thank you so much.

I did a variation on the helmet texture, changing the top to be grey instead. It was something I was always concerned about but didn't have enough time to really think through properly, perhaps (if I am lucky enough to be chosen) it can be done as a style or updated in general.

not_gold.PNG
  • Noth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noth polycounter lvl 14
    Nice update, I do actually prefer that edit a bit more. Maybe you'll be able to add it in if chosen like you said. Best of luck.