Home Dota 2

Lychee's Workshop & Concepts

Forest Lantern Ward:
tumblr_mu1u650R0P1qe5f1no1_1280.png

I did most of the work on this several months ago but got stuck trying to add particle effects to it and just gave up. If I can learn more about particles I'll come back to it, but for now it's shelved.

Eye of the Faceless:

tumblr_mr4xoeQhif1qe5f1no2_1280.jpg
My first workshop item is sort of a joke item and I'm not really proud of it but on the bright side, it helped me figure out some workshop basics. I don't intend to work on this further and don't expect it to get in the game.

Puck set:

tumblr_mz3n9tydqT1qe5f1no1_1280.png
tumblr_mz3c7w6vlR1qe5f1no1_1280.png
tumblr_mz3c7w6vlR1qe5f1no2_1280.png
(color schemes)

I've done a few rough models for it already but since puck's model is not in the workshop it isn't easy to work on it too much. I need to do more iterations of the wing shapes anyway. Shelved project.

Dazzle Set:
tumblr_mzg9h5yHtx1qe5f1no1_1280.png

This is the set I'm currently working on. I've made a base model for the staff already and I'm currently trying to test it out in game before I do too much work on it because I want to see if the dangly crystals will actually work before I commit to them. I'm currently having an issue where the staff is not binding to Dazzle's hands, but is stuck in the middle of the model. This happens despite actually skinning the staff to the correct bone. If anyone has any insight on this it'd be greatly appreciated, but I'll keep tinkering with it on my own.

This set is inspired by glam rock. I wanted to take this set away from the typical direction for his items, which is often "tribal" style and based on cultural appropriation. There are still some influences like the use of the feathers, but they will take a back seat compared to other design elements. The fishnet arm wraps were kind of a joke and I'm not committed to them so I'll probably try some different options for the arms soon.

Replies

• Lychee
    dd9dbaea4d8ff0ba86e6b4ff416ec65d.png

texture's not final
    (yes I know I need to adjust how he's holding it)
  • Lychee
    b20ce3fb634b136fa9df43a9c9406fd5.png

Textures not final

Might try something different with the model, not too sure yet.
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    Lychee wrote: »
    Textures not final

Might try something different with the model, not too sure yet.

Are you not concerned with this seriously clipping with all the other hairs added for Dazzle?
  • Lychee
    kite212 wrote: »
    Are you not concerned with this seriously clipping with all the other hairs added for Dazzle?

There are plenty of other sets in the game that cause ridiculous clipping when parts of the set are equipped with nonset pieces (The antlers from the Keeper of the Northlight set for example)

I'll make adjustments to make it look acceptable with Dazzle's default headpiece, but I'm not going to try to design around the other mohawks.
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Yeah just make it fit with the default headpiece, trying to make sure it fits with every other head item is near impossible.
  • bounchfx
    what great concepts! I love the lantern ward in particular - it's such a clever idea, I hope you get to finish and submit
  • Mild Mustard
    lol, I can SO see dazzle with that ^^ Great concepts!
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    Lychee wrote: »
    I'll make adjustments to make it look acceptable with Dazzle's default headpiece, but I'm not going to try to design around the other mohawks.

:thumbup: Fitting the default alone should make it work better with most head pieces. I am looking forward to seeing this finished. The concept is really cool, Dazzle does need some less tribal attire
  • Lychee
    Thanks for all the feedback, everyone!

00314a8e45a162201d98c98b377e46a5.png

Textures still are not final and I'll probably end up trying a variety of things with them before I'm satisfied.

There's still some wicked bad clipping with the default hat. Maybe I can have it so there's two styles you can select from? A more modest one that doesn't clip horrendously and then this one that is fluffed out to the max.
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    I think it could benefit from some extra fur texture. Right now you have it only on the ends of each shell which makes it look more like a furry crustacean/insect than a feather boa
  • heboltz3
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
  • Lychee
    Sukotto wrote: »
    I think it could benefit from some extra fur texture. Right now you have it only on the ends of each shell which makes it look more like a furry crustacean/insect than a feather boa

Yeah I was also thinking it looked kinda like a hairy pillbug too haha.
    I'll keep that in mind when I rework the textures.
  • Lychee
    84d8ded75ec880d802f940f6e527d4f0.png

Still not final BUT LOOK HOW FLUFFY IT IS
  • heboltz3
    Offline / Send Message
    This is unreal. I am a fan. I would love to see a workflow for how you achieve this result!!!
  • Lychee
    heboltz3 wrote: »
    This is unreal. I am a fan. I would love to see a workflow for how you achieve this result!!!

Thanks!

Most of the work is in the textures. Here's what it looks like without them:
    13800a32a093b1f8866845c1c2c4a747.png

I basically made one shell, duplicated it, moved it and transformed it, rinse and repeat
    I started with the opacity map before anything else just to make sure the shape was suitable, once that was done I just hand drew all the fluffiness

Here's how it's looking now though I might adjust the colors depending on how it looks with the rest of the set.

17413e2f96a7b217ec5abaa5fdf5c039.png

Calling this done for the moment but I'll go back and do some polish after the rest of the items are modeled.

tumblr_n19cietftj1qe5f1no1_1280.png
    Headpiece is next!
  • heboltz3
    Offline / Send Message
    Really nice turn out! Killer stuff :)
  • cottonwings
    The shell shape idea is fantastic, I felt it gives a cute impression of Chesire Cat wrapping around his neck comfortably! I'm excited to see the ponytail done, your design makes him outstanding and I like it.
  • agito666
  • Lychee
    c83c4c376c2cae4fc899a27cc3a74188.png

I'm taking a different direction with the head piece because the head slot also accounts for items worn on his back or go along his back. I didn't want to leave his back completely bare and put too much stuff on his head. Additionally, the high ponytail is going to be a lot more difficult to rig if I wanted it to act the same way the feathers on his default head piece work. I didn't love the design of it enough to attempt slaving over making the physics work for it.

So I'm making a low ponytail that'll be closer along his back. The tiara is now a simpler headband that will have the same snakeskin textures as the staff handle. The snakeskin will also be in the robe/skirt. He also has earrings now though I might only put it on one ear. The earring design might change to something cooler but it will emulate the crystals seen on the staff. I might also add some crystals studded in the snake skin like you see in metal studded leather belts and bracelets and stuff.

The glam rock influence is strong in this one.
  • Clyptic
    Offline / Send Message
    Clyptic polycounter lvl 6
    I think you should reference his lore some more, his background is tribal. At the moment he is looking really feminine and it's not because of his color palette.
  • Lychee
    Clyptic wrote: »
    I think you should reference his lore some more, his background is tribal. At the moment he is looking really feminine and it's not because of his color palette.

I am purposefully taking a departure from the tribal style - Not a complete one, mind you, as there will still be use of feathers in the other pieces and the snake skin textures will be more apparent than they are in the sketches. I understand that going too far into glam rock territory is not appropriate for the style of Dota, therefore I am being careful to make it look more like the set was at least made of natural materials like the snakeskin, feathers, fur, leather - I should also go back and make the crystals look more naturally shaped rather than perfectly cut. So when I go back to do polish on the piece as a whole, I will make an effort to give it a more natural feel, which is a common element with the typical tribal style without actually using any of the tribal sterotypes.

I'm moving away from the tribal style because I don't like to lean on cultural appropriation and use of tribal stereotypes. For one thing, it's been done to death, and another, I personally don't believe it's right for I as a white person to make a profit exploiting a culture that does not belong to me (This 'tribal' style being based on Native American and African cultures).

As for him looking more feminine, I don't see the problem with that.
  • MagnoHusein
    About making profit with a "culture" that doesn't belong to you. Errr... I don't see the logical point in that, Dota heros are inspired in different cultures and legends, so basically you are "exploiting" all these cultures? I mean there is a character named Zeus from greek mythology, and Witch Doctor is full inspired in the african culture.

In the end is up to you, personally I feel a risky business to do "lore-breaking" items.
  • Lychee
    About making profit with a "culture" that doesn't belong to you. Errr... I don't see the logical point in that, Dota heros are inspired in different cultures and legends, so basically you are "exploiting" all these cultures? I mean there is a character named Zeus from greek mythology, and Witch Doctor is full inspired in the african culture.

In the end is up to you, personally I feel a risky business to do "lore-breaking" items.

I'd like to keep this short as I don't want my thread to become this discussion:

I'm not going to make a fuss at anyone else making use of other cultures; I'm just saying as a creator, I don't want to heavily appropriate from other cultures in my own creations. That's just my choice.

I'm willing to take this risk because I do not want to limit myself by forcing it to look 'tribal'. I'm making an attempt to go outside the box. It's a design challenge. As I've said before, I'm not throwing his lore and basic style completely out the window- During the polish phase I will definitely go back and add more natural looking textures to the pieces where needed. And come on. Dazzle loves shiny, pretty, sparkly things! The evidence is in his voice lines.

For now that's my last word on the topic but if anyone really wants to discuss it I'd prefer it be taken to PMs, I'll resume with work in progress pictures when I have more work done.