Home Dota 2

Bernoully's Bucket of Concepts

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Bernoully polycounter lvl 4
Welcome to my thread! Just your friendly Workshop neighbour's stash of Dota 2 flavoured imagination.

Contact me if you're up for collaborations!
Submitted Stuff

uzAH6L4.jpg5YeEVT0.jpgcw77nhi.jpgiKio5aU.jpg
Collaborations with cottonwings

J4UN1TB.jpgVHqzUt5.jpg
A collaboration with Blender2Dota | A collaboration with oxhid3 & bosk

aaosFpv.jpg
A collaboration with oxhid3 & bosk

Contact me!

Steam Profile | Tumblr Portfolio | deviantART | Twitter

Replies

• darkdeathknight
    This is not a Bucket of Concepts! >:(
  • Bernoully
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @darkdeathknight

I use Bucket for quite a number of things :D

First concept I posted was this: a heart-shield with a symbolic Overcharged Io on it. I love the single CK weapons that got into the game and thought a shield would be a good accompaniment:
    5I4UKlu.jpg
  • Bernoully
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A Dark Seer concept below: his armor set from the previous war from his world, battered and salvaged. Wearing it as a proof of his survival and victory.
    AbYTVqg.jpg
  • Bernoully
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updating with a new Abby weapon! Bardiche-axe hybrid, it be.

4OsNsOT.jpg
  • Bernoully
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Had an idea a while back for a single Centaur headpiece, something more appealing for the HUD portrait view. Meant to match his manly beard, and I took the ponytail off for more focus on the spiky hairdo. Looks a lil' anime-ish, but then again I used Fist of the North Star as a general guide. :poly121:

MVnVD0Y.jpg

A second Centaur headpiece: mohawk, darker scalp and new horns. Brazen warrior's fashion.

Q2Rwam8.jpg

Any takers?
  • Bernoully
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been playing with ideas of a series of related couriers, "The Servitors of Maelrawn". Here's the first one of the little fellas:
    VV8gtvR.jpg

Any ideas how to improve this? It's based off the scotoplanes (sea pigs); carrier shell based off quahogs (hard clams).
  • cottonwings
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My boyfriend's concepts needs some love guys > : (
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Its pretty dang adorable. Though it would be impossible for the air bubble look like that due to the nature of the shaders. The Transparency is only on or off, if I recall correctly, so translucency is not an option. You may have to rethink the flying version though he could just 'swim' through the air.

But like I said, its adorable in a creepy way, much like Itsy the Spider :)
  • Bernoully
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cottonwings> Thanks dear ;D

Sukotto> Thanks for explaining that, I really appreciate it. Back to the drawing board for the flying form! And yeah, it's a balance between cute and creepy, fearsome Maelrawn deserve some proper minions but who doesn't like cute Workshop couriers? :)
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    Bernoully wrote: »
    I've been playing with ideas of a series of related couriers, "The Servitors of Maelrawn". Here's the first one of the little fellas:
    3Vl9I4C.jpg

Any ideas how to improve this? It's based off the scotoplanes (sea pigs); carrier shell based off quahogs (hard clams).

Go with the lighter shell, the pinkish/purplish one, I think that reads better then the brown one. I like this design, I'd love to animate this but I don't think I'll have the time for another courier. I'd be happy to overlook them and offer my critiques :)
  • Bernoully
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andrew> Thanks! I'll be fixing the design first. Would be awesome to have you offer C&C on its animation :D
  • Bernoully
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New Spectre blades up for collabs!

WoOv4Q6.jpg

Based of the idea of "elemental spectres", lesser manifestations from Mercurial's home dimension. They could theoretically assume any forms, but here they're weapons.

For Water and Fire, left is initial wild stuff, right is (hopefully) optimized for LOD1 300.
  • cottonwings
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It'll be so kickass if alt style can be more than one!
  • Bernoully
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A Chinese New Year courier based off the Northern-styled dancing lion, with Bronze pot load and paper lantern flying mode!

wUcLvDG.jpg

Any takers?
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    I made a quick partial sculpt. Tell me what you think of it so far.

fACj41k.png
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    Hmm. I really like the idea of the concept, and I think it clearly fits the CNY theme, but technically there are some weird points for me.

So the big thing with the Northern Dancing Lion is the way it moves and preforms. Huge sweeping motions + hair followthrough = highlight of any chinese parade (haha). How do you see this getting across similarly in engine with the character or mesh? Alternatively with the current concept, do you think there's enough visual interest/anatomical tells with all the fur? Is he all organic, or is he going to be fur + porcelain?

Sorry if I'm drilling you hard, I like the idea and I'd love to see it in game,but I think explaining these concerns via the concept can really produce a stronger concept and inform modelers/animators about why this idea is so badass. :)
  • Sinking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 wrote: »
    Hmm.
    So the big thing with the Northern Dancing Lion is the way it moves and preforms. Huge sweeping motions + hair followthrough = highlight of any chinese parade (haha). How do you see this getting across similarly in engine with the character or mesh?

What if he said he was basing it off a Chinese temple stature. Would you still feel it is out of place?

I think the basic idea is fine and it has the cuteness-factor that would have been impossible/harder with a concept based on the snake-shape dragon. It wouldn't be cuddly enough :)

Yet, you are right too. This concept needs some more definition and also a re-evaluation of the proportions. The material definition is unclear and the Chinese lantern will be great when properly integrated and resized. Iterate it and it will be cool for sure.

Also "drilling you hard" could be misunderstood ^^ But we are all adults here, right?!
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If it was a chinese temple statue, the concept would look way more, like...

china_lion.jpg

You can cuddle with snakes! i think.. but they just arent good at cuddling back :x
  • Hudston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hudston polycounter lvl 10
    I'm really busy right now, but if your sea pig courier is still available around February I may have to take you up on it. I love those little guys!
  • Bernoully
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry guys, I was away setting up shop in an annual art market this weekend:

Jed> Nice sculpt! Though I think some proportions are out, like the head-to-body ratio and the beard should be more like Street Fighter Zangief's beard.

Boltz and Sinking> I love that you ask the important questions! This courier is meant to be the fully organic version of the Northern Dancing Lion, because I feel this is a good chance for a living version of the supposed depicted creature. No porcelain or marble here.

Being and looking alive is the core of the Northern variant, but that's only based on the costumed dancers. For a living creature, I had to look into what it's also based off: the pekingese. Puppy mode because of cute and the proportions that I imagined to be a combination of Shagbark and the Pudge bulldog for basic movements. Ears will flop and swing around for head jiggling, dancing motions. This is a child; the adult creature would be fierce and more temple statue in proportions.

Like the Abaddon horse and its real life counterpart, huge gradient colours will define its look, especially from far away. As for materials, it'll be like Lone Druid's spirit bear in bodily fur, cloth for the saddle, slightly reflective metal for the heavenly bronze pot (it'll be clean and polished rather than green with age; see below).

Dota 2 lore-wise, it's going to come from the Three Spirits' celestial home of Wailing Mountains, which Valve has patterned after the Kunlun Mountains, the Taoist Mt. Olympus. It's going fit right in. :D

I'll be happy to answer any further questions!

Hudston> Feel free to take the sea pig! Maelrawn is in dire need of servitor creatures for a Cthulhu-like underwater god.
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goooood, let the knowledge flow through you! Nice work Bernoully. Its awesome that you are considering all of this.
    Sinking wrote: »
    Also "drilling you hard" could be misunderstood ^^ But we are all adults here, right?!

...damn it..

Merry christmas guys! Keep up the baller work :)
  • Bernoully
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New Ember Spirit concept! Designed for both Year of the Horse and non-event (since Xin is Chinese-based anyway):
    wURcVUR.jpg

Looking for a modeller for this set!
  • agito666
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i like the sea pig idea!
    also the Xin is not bad too :D
  • Bernoully
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Agito! There'll be more development on the sea pig courier (I'm planning to expand on it) :D
  • Bernoully
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updating with links to Vestments of the Abyss set that I helped on:

oFbUbby.jpgLRiHGWs.jpgEUxOc2A.jpg5T1IcWF.jpgbnmtEdo.jpg
  • Bernoully
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trying out 3D modelling again after years and years of rust! :D

sm91ZF5.png
  • Clyptic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clyptic polycounter lvl 6
    Are there normals for Vestments of the Abyss set? Doesn't look like it has any.
  • Bernoully
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Didn't get to see the normals for this set, but their other items I've checked have normal maps.
  • [NB] Mohsen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [NB] Mohsen polycounter lvl 3
    Bernoully wrote: »
    Updating with a new Abby weapon! Bardiche-axe hybrid, it be.

4OsNsOT.jpg

Hey I would like to work with you on the abaddon sword contact me on steam if needed please: [NB] Mohsen :)
  • Bernoully
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey I would like to work with you on the abaddon sword contact me on steam if needed please: [NB] Mohsen :)

Sorry, it's already completed:

VHqzUt5.jpg
  • Bernoully
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    An update to the seapig courier design!

l0E8uSh.jpg
  • Bernoully
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New VS weapon! Also my first 3D work for a game :)

iKio5aU.jpg

eqMP8Yi.gif
  • Bernoully
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Back again! A quick WIP sneak peek on my latest project ;D

hiGjaro.jpg

You might have seen this original concept art from cottonwings:

nHAuCTn.jpg
  • Bernoully
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Huskar's Halberd, or Huskar's Heavenly Halberd!

cw77nhi.jpg

gc57FMP.png
    FwdwYRA.png
    ujyWufF.gif

cottonwings and I sure learnt a lot working on this single piece. We started a chest project, so expect more updates to the collection. :D
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Any updates on the sea pig? He's soo cute :D
  • Bernoully
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto wrote: »
    Any updates on the sea pig? He's soo cute :D

Lil' sea pig got lost in the depths of development netherworld, so I'm opening it to modeller and animators again.

Who's up for it? :D

l0E8uSh.jpg
  • Bernoully
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A simple and plain Pudge haircut, the Persistent Crop:

5YeEVT0.jpg

HE9Egil.png
    34DOjQt.png
    RMm6ltS.gif

More single items to come!