Home Digital Sketchbooks

SketchBook: Kylie De Oliveira

I'd love to have people CRITIQUE my work I'm still in high school, so that's exactly why I joined the site was to get people's advice and help! But please make it constructive and not just plain bullying!
Because I'm still new and don't know a lot about Polycount,helpful tips about posting things and setting posts up is welcome as well.

If you need to reach me:

Twitter: @Charnettex
Gmail: kyxxdeoliveira@gmail.com

Replies

• Charnettex
    Well here is some weird stuff I've done in the last 4 months :\
  • Charnettex
  • Charnettex
    Here's a work in progress, I've been stuck on the hair, trying to figure out what I like the best.
    I've really been into these close up profiles lately, trying to get a semi realistic human style.
  • Charnettex
    This wasn't really a character more of a free for all day haha.
    I notice now some anatomical errors but I was proud for a first try at something like this :)
  • Two Listen
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Can I ask - what is your long term goal with your art, and what tools/programs are you currently using?
  • Deathstick
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    The proportions of your foxes are overall rather nice and show an observant eye at work.

I'd recommend to really push seeing objects and people as complex objects actually composed of relatively simple shapes. Doing some actual sketches of anatomy, drawing the human skeleton, and studying how all of the pieces fit together can only help you in the long run. Once you start getting a grasp of the basic anatomy and skeletal structure of a human you'll begin to notice an improvement in your drawings.

71061dd2f437dace498f2267aed922c0.jpg
    loomis-planes.jpg

You can go a lot more simple than that however for practicing drawing simpler objects, still lifes, cups and boxes, shoes, nature, etc.

It usually is highly recommended when you're practicing drawing to draw from real life if you can instead of using a photograph, as you'll be dealing with actual perspective versus a photograph which tends to flatten out an image and take away some valuable information that you would see with your eyes in life.

If you're curious, college level introduction to drawing 1 classes usually start off with the incredibly boring hours of drawing planes, boxes, cylinders, elispses, etc and then moving on to cloth and still lifes before finally taking life drawing. It may seem silly and boring yes, but the importance is placed on building a solid foundation in observation in perspective, composition, and drawing which I'd say does a lot of good in the long run.

Other than that, you also may want to start pushing your values or "shadows" in your drawings. They all seem to fall in a certain medium range, which is fine and works well for certain styles, but if you'd like to push your understanding and drawing/painting abilities further I'd recommend increasing the range to include values on the darker side all the way to light.

Another little trick to practice using more values in a piece is to take a pencil and shade in some boxes in a row ranging from 1 to 10. The idea here being on one side the value should be closest to black, and on the opposite should be closest to white. Each step in between should be an appropriate shade of gray, ultimately in each box would be the next step up on brightness/value.

If you can use more of those values in your drawings you'll find it easier to create interest and depth in your drawings and eventually take hold of where you want viewers to look in your piece. A slight hint, usually the area with the highest amount of contrast or vibrancy in color will be the part most people are drawn to.

Vibrancy can be created by altering the saturation of color, and by using complementary colors which are pretty easy to understand by looking at a color wheel. Colors on the opposite ends being complementary to each other, will appear more vibrant when placed side by side which can be found in nature. Roses tend to stand out among other flowers for example, since red and green are naturally complementary.

Harmonious colors are the opposite of complementary and work well for creating areas that are relaxing to the eye. These are colors right next to each other, such as yellow and orange, or green and blue.

And finally, there's the concept of the warmth of colors in a piece. Usually a piece is either slightly warm or slightly cool, with warm being the colors red, yellow, orange, etc and cool colors being more towards blue, green, purple, etc. You can mix things up by placing warm colors alongside cooler colors. Many times artists will use warmer colors on the side of the object which would be being "hit" by the light source in a room, and the color colors reserved for the areas covered in shadow.

Anyways, there's some art theory atleast in how you can improve. I'd say you'd be on your way to success if you can stick with it at your age and move past the frustration. (hint hint, both people completely new to art and people who have been doing art for 50+ years still get frustrated with their works :) )

Best of luck to you! Hopefully that was of some help!
  • Charnettex
    Two Listen wrote: »
    Can I ask - what is your long term goal with your art, and what tools/programs are you currently using?

Well I have a few years of high school left, but I'd like to become a game artist after college. I know I have a long way to go, and a lot to learn. I use the software I do because it wasn't overly expensive, and someone in the industry recommended it for me.
  • Charnettex
    Deathstick wrote: »
    The proportions of your foxes are overall rather nice and show an observant eye at work.

I'd recommend to really push seeing objects and people as complex objects actually composed of relatively simple shapes. Doing some actual sketches of anatomy, drawing the human skeleton, and studying how all of the pieces fit together can only help you in the long run. Once you start getting a grasp of the basic anatomy and skeletal structure of a human you'll begin to notice an improvement in your drawings.

71061dd2f437dace498f2267aed922c0.jpg
    loomis-planes.jpg

You can go a lot more simple than that however for practicing drawing simpler objects, still lifes, cups and boxes, shoes, nature, etc.

It usually is highly recommended when you're practicing drawing to draw from real life if you can instead of using a photograph, as you'll be dealing with actual perspective versus a photograph which tends to flatten out an image and take away some valuable information that you would see with your eyes in life.

If you're curious, college level introduction to drawing 1 classes usually start off with the incredibly boring hours of drawing planes, boxes, cylinders, elispses, etc and then moving on to cloth and still lifes before finally taking life drawing. It may seem silly and boring yes, but the importance is placed on building a solid foundation in observation in perspective, composition, and drawing which I'd say does a lot of good in the long run.

Other than that, you also may want to start pushing your values or "shadows" in your drawings. They all seem to fall in a certain medium range, which is fine and works well for certain styles, but if you'd like to push your understanding and drawing/painting abilities further I'd recommend increasing the range to include values on the darker side all the way to light.

Another little trick to practice using more values in a piece is to take a pencil and shade in some boxes in a row ranging from 1 to 10. The idea here being on one side the value should be closest to black, and on the opposite should be closest to white. Each step in between should be an appropriate shade of gray, ultimately in each box would be the next step up on brightness/value.

If you can use more of those values in your drawings you'll find it easier to create interest and depth in your drawings and eventually take hold of where you want viewers to look in your piece. A slight hint, usually the area with the highest amount of contrast or vibrancy in color will be the part most people are drawn to.

Vibrancy can be created by altering the saturation of color, and by using complementary colors which are pretty easy to understand by looking at a color wheel. Colors on the opposite ends being complementary to each other, will appear more vibrant when placed side by side which can be found in nature. Roses tend to stand out among other flowers for example, since red and green are naturally complementary.

Harmonious colors are the opposite of complementary and work well for creating areas that are relaxing to the eye. These are colors right next to each other, such as yellow and orange, or green and blue.

And finally, there's the concept of the warmth of colors in a piece. Usually a piece is either slightly warm or slightly cool, with warm being the colors red, yellow, orange, etc and cool colors being more towards blue, green, purple, etc. You can mix things up by placing warm colors alongside cooler colors. Many times artists will use warmer colors on the side of the object which would be being "hit" by the light source in a room, and the color colors reserved for the areas covered in shadow.

Anyways, there's some art theory atleast in how you can improve. I'd say you'd be on your way to success if you can stick with it at your age and move past the frustration. (hint hint, both people completely new to art and people who have been doing art for 50+ years still get frustrated with their works :) )

Best of luck to you! Hopefully that was of some help!

It was super helpful, I hope its okay that I copy and pasted it into a word doc so I can reference it a little easier!
  • Charnettex
    Here is a robotic character I'm working on. I really like the idea of the tubes, but I don't have a real thought to add to the concept to explain them. They are just kinda there and hooked up to random parts of the body. And it's a little choppy right now... :/
    </3

So I actually uploaded the wrong copy of this... there are like 3 other tubes and the over all sketch is neater.