Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

More portfolio review!

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
lukazguzman polycounter lvl 5
site-logo.jpg

Hi, there!
My name is Lucas (or Lukaz) and I have recently made my new portfolio aimed to get me a job in the interactive/gaming industry:

http://www.furiouspoly.com

I am a 3D artist, and still havent yet decided what way I want to go... characters? environment? assets? But I do know I love to make a 3D model from concept to a beautifully finished piece, and whatever process is needed to be done on the way!

Unfortunately I just lost my job (Fashion company went bankrupt) so I am actively upgrading this portfolio to finally get a job in what I want to do!

Anyhow, I would gladly appreciate advise on what is necessary for me to add to FuriousPoly to even be considered as an 3D artist in any small video game company that is able to pay a salary!

Thanks for your time dear community friends! Kind regards from an argentinian living in Amsterdam ;)
Lucas

Replies

• Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    some short stuff from me

specialize yesterday to minimize wasted time
    The character looks like you could do character art, which is a not as common opportunity,
    the props dont impress however.

Dont do anything based on made up concepts for props (concepts like chakram assasin are o.k. but avoid nonexistent things, they just hurt your progress and their flaws translate to your portfolio) Nothing comes even close to the authenticity of real world product design, people can relate and you have best references.

Your crates have bad smoothing groups, thats why your normals look so rounded and have those gradients, look SG up if you dont know it already by now

The highpoly of the assasin, the logo and the skull (if rendered differently) are the 3 things that are presentable right now. Cut the rest. Work hard on your lowpoly baking and texturing skills and choose good subjects next. dont scrooge on polys nor texture resulution, impress - nobody cares about numbers as long as they are used smart and its game ready. You can always go down and they know.

Just get marmoset and save the time on shading and lighting, you have no time for that.
    Grey = mediocrity, get good presentation and backgrounds. Website looks good

I wish you good luck then !
  • lukazguzman
    Offline / Send Message
    lukazguzman polycounter lvl 5
    Well, guys, thank you so much for your sincere words! I was kind of thinking that I was on the safe side with these portfolio but I see I was wrong!
    Took me a while to digest the comments and realize that yeah I have a lot of work to do before applying anywhere!
    And do really appreciate the time you guys took to check on my portfolio. I'll follow your advise and get rid of the things that doesn't relly look good, and start adding better low-poly high-poly assets, I know I can make them, it's just time that I need.

@Shrike
    yeah, I know about SG, and I kind of was trying to intentionally make those cubes rounder.. the thing is that that game demands really low poly boxes, and I thought any recruiter would look at it and go like "oh, look at that, only 8polys and nice round feel to it!" but I guess I'm wrong!, I'll go over that project again.

@Nerf Bat Ninja
    Man, you are right as well, I sure need to clean everything up, and do some serious layered rendering on the girl to make it look better.
    And I don't have any flash presentation or anything on that site, it's just HTML, so I can't tell what did you see.. :p

Thanks guys! If I manage to make this site look better during the next month I'll re post it in here...