Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Fantasy Axe

sulzbunny
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
sulzbunny polycounter lvl 6
Hello! I started this fantasy axe for the September Noob Challenge and then got busy at work so I didn't get to finish. Here's the current state of the hi-poly. I plan on taking this through low and bakes. Hope you guys like it!

Thanks for checking it out!

chris-sulzbach-axe-rend.jpg?1417067957

Replies

• BeserK
    Offline / Send Message
    BeserK polycounter lvl 12
    That's a fine looking axe!
    Something about the detail on the blades makes the edges and nicks look a little dull (as in not sharp), might be worth sharpening them up a little? Also the leather looks a little loose around the grip, maybe that's intentional :)
    Nice work!
  • alex1111
    Offline / Send Message
    alex1111 polycounter lvl 9
    I am really liking this! Maybe you could adjust the bottom of the grip where the leather ends? It just stops, in the first render, front view. In the second render, the way it ends, it looks great because it still looks like it's wrapped around the grip. Nice work!
  • anglorum
    Offline / Send Message
    anglorum polycounter lvl 6
    Holy hell. You nailed the stylized/normal mapped wombo combo. Something I have been viciously trying to tackle for the last few weeks. Can't wait to see process shots!
  • sulzbunny
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback everyone! I was pretty tired last night when I posted but wanted to get it out there for some feedback since I have a few days off work and some time to make adjustments.

BeserK - I agree on both points, thanks for the feedback! I will definitely sharpen up the blade and tighten up the wrap.

alex1111 - Yeah, I was having trouble getting the feel of the haphazard wrapping from the concept. I will definitely revisit this to tighten up the wrap's start and end.

anglorum - cool, thanks! glad you dig it! this isn't a low poly with normals, though, just a high poly right now. I'll post a breakdown once I finish the low and bakes.
  • sulzbunny
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is an update addressing the feedback. Any C&C welcome. Thanks for checking it out! Still in highpoly w/ material tests on it. Not yet into low and bakes.

chris-sulzbach-fantasyaxe2.jpg?1417324815
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Nice! Like the wraps a lot. Be cool to get the metal blade a bit more metally (technical term I think?) after the bakes.
  • sulzbunny
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the feedback, Jeff! I will definitely make them more metal-ly after the bakes. Also, I was pretty inspired by your knife set from the Noob Challenge you did that drove me to make this, so thanks!