Home Unreal Engine

What's wrong with Unreal Engine?

Guys, I am following all the developments of Unreal Engine, CRYENGINE and Unity for a couple of months now. Let me say something first - CRYENGINE already had REAL-TIME DYNAMIC GLOBAL ILLUMINATION since a few years back! Frostbite already has the WYSIWYG editor since frostbite 2, and now Unity 5 is coming with the Dynamic Global Illumination that builds on Geomerics' Enlighten technology. Now, we all know who is lagging behind is terms of Dynamic Global Illumination.

I mean what really is wrong with the guys at EPIC? Whats wrong with them? Every guy in the neighborhood is implementing Dynamic Global Illumination while Unreal Engine is still lagging. I know they did implement the LPV system but that's too in the BETA phase and often produces not-upto-the-mark results. I mean Unity 5 got it now. Epic is such a respectable company and I have my trust in them; they have been in the neighborhood since a pretty long time, but this is getting too far. They come out with SVOGI, make everyone super-excited and remove it saying it's extremely resource consuming. I mean, What the heck!?!

Every other major engine (I guess) is starting to implement this feature and I think Epic is the only one in which we have to pre-bake. Man this is time consuming! I love all the blueprints and all that but those aren't an excuse for not bringing in the 'Dynamic Global Illumination' feature. I mean, this sucks so much! While working on a huge level this baking thing totally eats up time.

Guys, I am totally getting sick of this. I am still waiting to hear something on this feature from EPIC. All I have to say is it's really been a long time and they better implement the feature! I mean look at what the devs can gain - no pre-baking shadows and lighting. This will be EPIC! EPIC!

Replies

This discussion has been closed.