Home General Discussion

Any Engineering Background Boddies ?

TAN
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
TAN polycounter lvl 12
Yo mates.

Just wondered randomly is there anyone else who had a background in any engineering that wondered their way into 3D world. Maybe I thought I can find similar people and talk random things.

Me for example Mechanical Engineering. Anyone else ?

Replies

• tharle
    Offline / Send Message
    tharle polycounter lvl 9
    me. - MEng Structural Engineering and Architecture from Sheffield University plus 3 years experience at Arup designing steelwork...

Engineering was a great thing to study at uni, really interesting. But as a day job... not so much.
  • Spoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    tharle wrote: »
    Engineering was a great thing to study at uni, really interesting. But as a day job... not so much.

What made the difference to big between the two?
  • Sam Hatami
    Offline / Send Message
    Sam Hatami polycounter lvl 16
    Yep, M.sc in mechanical engineer here aswell. Currently working as a structural analysis engineer, nuclear pipe support etc. Basically consultant, been working with bulk unloaders, and several smaller stuff.

Freelancing on the side.
  • cmtanko
    Offline / Send Message
    cmtanko polycounter lvl 10
    Bachelors in Electronics Engineering , passed out at 2010... But have been working in 3D field (modeling,rigging,game level design) since 2009 and still loving it (except for the fact that my friends earn lot more than me) :D
  • TAN
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    Spoon wrote: »
    What made the difference to big between the two?

When you study it you analise, synthsize and create whatever solutions to whatever problems you like. When you work you send orders of building steel ingots of same sizes everyday for God knows which reason, also your boss thinks he is smarter than you, workers at the factory thinks they can design better than you. You also work in factories which are located at least 40 km away from the nearest points of civilisation and eat terrible factory food at midday.

Anything else ?

Sam Hatami wrote: »
    Yep, M.sc in mechanical engineer here aswell. Currently working as a structural analysis engineer, nuclear pipe support etc. Basically consultant, been working with bulk unloaders, and several smaller stuff.

Freelancing on the side.

Hell yeah ! Dat nuclear pipes !
  • Sam Hatami
    Offline / Send Message
    Sam Hatami polycounter lvl 16
    TAN wrote: »
    When you study it you analise, synthsize and create whatever solutions to whatever problems you like. When you work you send orders of building steel ingots of same sizes everyday for God knows which reason, also your boss thinks he is smarter than you, workers at the factory thinks they can design better than you. You also work in factories which are located at least 40 km away from the nearest points of civilisation and eat terrible factory food at midday.

Anything else ?

Hah. Thats production factories for you...

I don't have those issues, I work with engineering solution. Alot of teamwork between the designers and CAE engineers. One of the most rewarding engineering jobs was beeing involved in the development stages of a new of bulk unloader. Where you could change designs that hadn't been changed for over 30 years. I used dem bevels to get rid of some stress concentrations that been bugging their welding for a couple of revisions. Was fun, but you don't always end up doing somthing creative as that. And you don't want to mess up, as it could end up really bad (with material and ppl getting injured).

But sometimes, it can be very boring...very...very...boring. Specially when you're involved in these huge projects spanning over several years, good income, but repetetive at times.
  • Greg DAlessandro
    Offline / Send Message
    Greg DAlessandro polycounter lvl 6
    I was a Construction Management major for 2 years then switched to an art major, and transfered and became a Videogame Art & Animation student.
  • woot
    Offline / Send Message
    woot polycounter lvl 5
    starting my mechanical engineering course at newcastle university next year, grades willing!

3d is more of a hobby than a career path at the moment, for me anyways.
  • SnowInChina
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    i did 2 semesters mechanical engineering before switching to fulltime 3d
    now iam working in the car industry as 3d modeler, or "Virtual Media Developer"as it is called
  • Belias
    Offline / Send Message
    Belias polycounter lvl 14
    I'm almost a Mechatronic Engineer, only one semester left ^_^
    of course it is very nice, but i prefer game development.

will continue a master degree in mechanical engineering.
  • mauriccio93
    Im 1 year from finishing software engineering. 3d art took my heart and now i wouldnt imagine working as an engineer... 3d and art in general is so amazing that i will work hard to work as an artist when i feel capable off :)

Yea...took the wrong decision :(
  • TAN
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    Belias wrote: »
    I'm almost a Mechatronic Engineer, only one semester left ^_^
    of course it is very nice, but i prefer game development.

will continue a master degree in mechanical engineering.

Good decision IMHO :D

i did 2 semesters mechanical engineering before switching to fulltime 3d
    now iam working in the car industry as 3d modeler, or "Virtual Media Developer"as it is called

Close call there mate :D
  • Brandon.LaFrance
    Offline / Send Message
    Brandon.LaFrance polycount sponsor
    I majored in mechanical engineering. Got about half way through the program when I realized I was spending more time with computer graphics than with my studies. I took some time off to study art, and decided that becoming a professional artist was what I truly wanted to do with my life. Since then, I haven't looked back.
  • Cunt666
    I'm a fitter and turner, and a welder. I have also worked in transport (both as driver and in maintenance). I also dabble in alternative fuel research, auto modifications, gunsmithing and chemical engineering. Looking to play with a bit of 3D modelling for a bit of a change (especially since I have been unable to work for the last half a decade due to a cop-related injury). Feel free to inbox me if you want to shoot shit about engineering - I may be a backyarder, but we're usually the most passionate, and resourceful - anybody can fix a car in a workshop, try doing it in the outback 500 km from the nearest town, with nothing more than a shifting spanner and fencing pliers..... Australian bush mechanics for the win! ;-)